PS3 to PS4 - Easier Games, Less Difficult Trophies

AJ_Radio

On 9/24/2019 at 0:31 PM, Whirled03 said:

Bingo. I'm actually back in college and there is a significant amount of responsibilities placed on college students these days, particularly if you want to get into the gaming industry. My school has a Games degree, and not only do students have to focus on the coursework, but networking, internships, learning all the various software that isn't taught in classes, and even building their own games. On top of the usual daily life of working, potential family/friend issues, living conditions, etc.

For that reason, it doesn't make sense to have some dedicate their life to get some stupid plat. For me, I'm already stressed out through 90% of my day, and I don't need the added stress of trying to plat some ridiculously difficult game; these days, I'd prefer to just move on to the next one.

This is a pretty weird statement considering you have the Orcs Must Die and Star Ocean 4 plats, both of which are extremely boring and tedious platinums where you just grind for hundreds of hours in a mediocre game lol.

Also as a full time college student myself who also works part time, I still have over 80 hours of free time a week. Obviously you won't use all or most of that time gaming, but I'm not sure how people are so bad with time management. Also this networking and internships are not some massive time investment; you can just make a LinkedIn and attend job fairs and other college events, and that's a couple hours a week max, and a lot of internships you can just take the whole college semester off, or do it over the summer, or work part-time and classes part-time, or some offer credits, etc. 

Even with a 9-5, you have about the same amount of time you had as a kid/teen while in k-12 (which was about 35-40 hours a week + a few hours homework/studying) so again, unless you are working 60+ hours a week or have some ridiculous commute time, I don't get how you can have so little free time. Obviously there is family and other obligations as you get older, but I literally see single guys working 40 hours a week or less complain how they have no free time and it's just kinda mind boggling.

Edited by machaesthetic
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

I technically still call those stacks. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition is a separate release from the original Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor release, shares the exact same trophy list.

The Nathan Drake Collection has some new trophies for the base games and if you include the DLC there's a whole new set of trophies. But mostly it's the same type list.

The Walking Dead: Definitive Collection is basically a collection of The Walking Dead games all combined in one list. Far Cry 3 Classic Edition removes the online trophies and improves the graphics and framerate but it's otherwise the same.

I don't mind online server shutdown for individual games (that is if I don't own the games). I don't want to see a complete cutoff of any online activity from PS3 since that means you can't sync trophies anymore.

I have 19 games on my backlog that are PS3 games, and if Sony decides I can't sync trophies anymore than I just wasted all that money buying those games. Because I want to earn trophies in all of them.

Alright, so you don't like any form of repeated platinums, even when the trophy list differs partially in one of the versions. At least in the case of TNDC, it provided a trophy pack for each new game consisting of entirely brand new trophies.

PS3 has already been losing its value due to the lessening playerbase and closure of so many servers on games. Nearly ALL my favorite games with online have been shutdown. There are very few, two of which includes Activision games, which shouldn't even count because it's Activision. Then all my top favorites are shutdown. Again, though, if your desires are in trophies, at least PSNw along with the plethora of remasters technically provides you with opportunity to get (a good deal of) them even if PS3 servers shutdown.

Edited by EcoShifter

21 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Alright, so you don't like any form of repeated platinums, even when the trophy list differs partially in one of the versions. At least in the case of TNDC, it provided a trophy pack for each new game consisting of entirely brand new trophies.

I never said I don't like ANY form of repeated platinums. If you look at my trophy profile I have over 30 stacks including 100 percent games.

21 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

PS3 has already been losing its value due to the lessening playerbase and closure of so many servers on games. Nearly ALL my favorite games with online have been shutdown. There are very few, two of which includes Activision games, which shouldn't even count because it's Activision. Then all my top favorites are shutdown. Again, though, if your desires are in trophies, at least PSNw along with the plethora of remasters technically provides you with opportunity to get (a good deal of) them even if PS3 servers shutdown.

Not everything is readily available on PS Now. There's a number of games that can only be gotten by buying a physical copy off of Amazon or eBay or some other online store outlet.

Shutting down everything online on the PS3 means you lose out on the digital library you've accumulated for that system. Which is bullshit and there should be some compensation without having to buy everything again due to loss of access. 

That is actually my biggest problem with digital media these days. A service can completely crap out or for some reason be removed and now you no longer have your digital library.

Yea well unless some specifical cases that are mostly dlc related, mafia 2/Little big planet, i didnt really see game being removed from the store. With thd PS5 being announced as retrocompatible, altough we do not know the full details, its oretty safe to say that sony just wont scrap tomorrow all the ps3 library.

On 24.09.2019 at 3:07 AM, Spaz said:

You definitely took the time to look at platinums with 50+% rarity. 641 platinums versus 99 platinums on two systems is a huge difference. In terms of numbers, there's a lot more easy stuff on the PS4 than there is on the PS3.

This is actually easy to check: Trophies -> Type (Platinum) -> Rarity (Common) -> Platform (PS4). The number of listed games is over bar with filters. BTW it has increased by 10 last time I've checked, now there's 651 platinum with 50%+ rarity on PS4. It's an unstoppable snowball.

For those who are curious, I've made a small table with rarity spread on both platforms:

PS3 % of platinums (PS3) PS4 % of platinums (PS4)
Unobtainable/No achievers yet (0%) 2 0,12% 224 6,55%
Ultra Rare (0.01-5%) 623 38,39% 883 25,80%
Very Rare (5-10%) 323 19,90% 516 15,08%
Rare (10%-20%) 347 21,38% 507 14,82%
Uncommon (20-50%) 229 14,11% 641 18,73%
Common (50%-100%) 99 6,10% 651 19,02%

I could make it more readable, but the point here is to show the comparison of percentage of games on both platforms which have a certain platinum rarity. It's clearly visible UR, VR and Rare platinums were more common on PS3, whereas Uncommon and Common are more prominent on PS4 (in Common platinum case, even 3x more).

And to be fair, UR count on PS4 should be quite a bit lower because of many unobtainable games (like Dragon Fin Soup) which has been hacked and rarity hasn't been adjusted correctly to 0%, but I didn't mark them as unobtainable because of my laziness.

• Like 2

I’d say yes it’s relatively true that games and platinums have become easier on PS4 as opposed to how they used to be on PS3. I haven’t got much experience with trophy hunting on the PS3 but I have seen first hand others getting platinums on the older console and know that games on the PS3 were more or less harder, or at least didn’t hold your hand as much. But that’s not to say PS4 titles don’t have hard as hell trophies/100%’s or platinums because it does, you just have to find them. Usually indie games or non AAA titles have the harder ones as opposed to AAA games. I find companies like Ubisoft have softened up their annual IP’s with easier trophies over the years. I mean look at games like the Far Cry franchise, the lists nowadays are nothing like Far Cry 2’s was. 

I can certainly agree that it obviously isn’t what it used to be for sure, but it’s not to say that there isn’t and won’t be anymore hard games, you just gotta dig a bit for them. 

On 9/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, Spaz said:

I never said I don't like ANY form of repeated platinums. If you look at my trophy profile I have over 30 stacks including 100 percent games.

Improvement: *Alright, so you view all types of repeated platinum the same, especially when you explicitly stated viewing stacks and separate list the same.