Blitzball... What in the heck!!!

DaveMcDamage

Hi everyone, 

Not played the game since its original release as mentioned in another thread. I have been having a blast all day, loving the parts I could remember, enjoying what I couldn't etc, 

Then it came to Blitzball. Now back on release I could never get into this game even though it has a massive fanbase just for this mini-game alone. Back then even my mate who's a major pot-head could get his head around this and actually enjoyed it more than the main game, because it seems a spliff can open up secrets to the universe as well as how the hell to play Blitzball. 

So now i just did all the tutorials for it and all was fine. Then it came to the part where you take part in the final whilst Wakka is injured. I unlocked the Jecht shot and as soon as I got the ball to Tidus I went into manual and rushed to the opponents goal, got blocked but chose to shoot but no Jecht shot appeared and my shot got saved. From there the opponent took control and I could never get the ball back. The tutorial instructions are so different to the actual game, or maybe I just overly suck. 18 or so years and I still can't get my head around this. 

Even saw online that once you get a goal you should hide behind your keeper until the timer runs out, but trying to get a goal in a nightmare. Not to mention the long cutscenes before the match starts. I quit out in case it turns out you need to lose this match or if you can actually win it. 

Any info and tips would be massively appreciated so I can continue the game. 

In addition to what SnowxSakura wrote it doesn't matter if you win that first march or not.

My advise is play through without thinking about the result and later get Brother in your team as he is fast and is the reason why i won lots of matches. Tidus was good for shooting goals with the Jecht Shot so i kept him in attack position too.

I personally hated Blitzball at first because the Aurochs are garbage, only with Brother it was ok as i was able to win matches and get every special attack and the sigil for Wakka

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 3

Cheers guys,

Glad to know I can lose. I truly hate this mini-game with a passion. Had another go but was losing 3-0 by the end of the first half. Second half figured out how to equip the Jecht shot but was never able to get the ball to Tidus. Suprised Tidus has such crap stats seeing as he was supposed to be some awesome Blitz player. Ended up quitting when it got to 5-0. That Graav fella for the other team could play on his own against the aurochs and win. He beat through 3 of my guys and still scored. 

I only wanted to win to see what the story was like for Wakka, but now lost interest in the mode and just want it to be over so I can get back to enjoying the game. 

Cheers again guys. 

I've actually done most of the Blitzball stuff today, this guide has been immensely helpful. I would stress that it's going to be really awful and unfun if you do it where you currently are in the game. Eventually you get what's more or less fast travel and at that point you can get much better players.

Also, because the guide didn't specify and I had to experiment, this is the lineup/positioning I used. With this team the minigame is boring because it's so easy, haha.

• LF: Tidus (really only good for Jecht Shot since it goes through two defenders)
  • RF: Wedge (great all-rounder, very good shot strength)
  • MF: Brother (the single best character for the minigame, all his stats are good)
  • LD: Ropp (great defender/passer, poor shooter)
  • RD: Wakka (not good, but it feels wrong to play without him)
  • GL: Jumal (great goalie, use the Super Goalie skill immediately)

General strategy is to get the ball as close to the goal as possible and then get it to Tidus, Brother, or Wedge with few enough defenders that their Shot + Endurance stats can overcome the defenders and goalie. Kite with Brother and use your skills to status enemies or increase your pass/shots. There's a goalie named Nimrook who's obscenely good (high catch), but all of the other teams are a breeze.

• Like 1

Cheers for all the info guys,

Managed to get the win on my first go for today. Made a few passes in the first half and got one from Tidus to give him XP, then hid behind the goalie until the second half. Second half lost the ball but managed to get it back and passed to Tidus and get a goal with the Jecht shot. What I wasn't prepared for was the cutscene and Wakka change at 3 minutes. When he got on the game I lost the ball, got it back but kept getting tackled when trying to get behind my keeper.

It was only with luck that Grav chose to pass in stead of shooting that I managed to get the ball back and keep hold of it until the timer ran out. 

Did some awesome battles and then got that god awful cutscene between Yuna and Tidus where they do a laugh out loud.... Brrrrr!

Basically you need better players (you can recruit them later iirc), and when shooting, be sure, that you are the one initiating the shot, not because the defenders caught up with you (and they are quite far away, so when you opt for shooting, they won't magically appear before you). That way your shooting stats won't be affected by the defenders, only the distance to the goal, and the stats of the goalie. 

It gets really boring quite soon, because matches can be easily won 10-0 with no effort. When grinding for Wakka's weapon I scored 1-2 goals and just kite the opponents until the time ran out.

40 minutes ago, Hori_1 said:

Basically you need better players (you can recruit them later iirc), and when shooting, be sure, that you are the one initiating the shot, not because the defenders caught up with you (and they are quite far away, so when you opt for shooting, they won't magically appear before you). That way your shooting stats won't be affected by the defenders, only the distance to the goal, and the stats of the goalie. 

It gets really boring quite soon, because matches can be easily won 10-0 with no effort. When grinding for Wakka's weapon I scored 1-2 goals and just kite the opponents until the time ran out.

Thanks man. How many matches do you have to win with Wakka for his upgrades, weapons etc from blitzball?

11 minutes ago, hsn963 said:

There is this trick, if you are lucky and scored a goal, try to grab the ball, go behind your goalie, and remain there till the end of the match, the opposite team won't follow you there for some reason 1f643.png.

Yeah I have done that. Its 50/50 if it works though. Sometimes they do indeed come after you and if they choose to shoot from that position then you're fecked! I was super lucky in the first story tournament that they passed from that spot instead of shooting. 

On 21/9/2019 at 10:41 PM, SnowxSakura said:

You have to level up tidus in the first half to be able to equip the jecht shot 

I have missed to learn Jecht Shot that night in the ship while Tidus was showing his skills to Yuna, at the beginning of the game... So you're saying it's not a missable thing? Can I still learn Jecht Shot just by playing Blitzball?

12 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Thanks man. How many matches do you have to win with Wakka for his upgrades, weapons etc from blitzball?

If you want to keep your abilities etc that you learn while playing blitzball and level up your players, then it will take many, many games. 

If you don't care about that and exploit "reset data", it will take you around 25 (24 minimum if you are on the short bracket of tournaments, plus the mandatory one in Luca) games to get all reels and the sigil needed to fully upgrade Wakkas ultimate weapon. 

Edited by Arcesius

I hated Blitzball too when I first started playing FFX on PS2 back in time.

But after I tried it again on PS4 - and afterwards on PSVita too - I focussed on learning it and after a while I really enjoyed this minigame.

I really recommend trying to learn the basics instead of focussing on the trophies. If you know what to do, it's a really funny game and you wont get annoyed while focussing on the matches you'll need for platinum :)

FFX has a few trophies that let you want to break your controller. The lightning-trophy in the desert, the chocobo racing (oh god, it was a pain on psvita) - you will love Blitzball when you have to do these ^^

Edited by Belphega2208

59 minutes ago, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

I have missed to learn Jecht Shot that night in the ship while Tidus was showing his skills to Yuna, at the beginning of the game... So you're saying it's not a missable thing? Can I still learn Jecht Shot just by playing Blitzball?

No if you missed it on the ship, the only other way to get it is to ride the same ship route again later on in the game.

• Like 1

EDIT - RANT DELETED :D

I managed to get the hang of Blitzball. Won my first league and first tournament. So in this league and tourneys, you get Wakka's other two overdrives as well as his sigils/crests and all 4 are RNG on if you will get them or not?

By the way. Not surprised the Aurochs never won anything ever.... Wakka sucks man! 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

8 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

EDIT - RANT DELETED :D

I managed to get the hang of Blitzball. Won my first league and first tournament. So in this league and tourneys, you get Wakka's other two overdrives as well as his sigils/crests and all 4 are RNG on if you will get them or not?

By the way. Not surprised the Aurochs never won anything ever.... Wakka sucks man! 

Yes, you get everything from blitzball: 

• Attack Reels: Tournament (I guess you got this one now?)
  • Status Reels League after fighting 250 battles and unlocking Attack Reels.
  • Aurochs Reels: Tournament after fighting 450 battles and unlocking Status Reels.

After unlocking all Reels, the Sigil will be a League prize. 

Now, if you read my post above, then you'll know what I mean by "you'll need many, many games", since you'll need to keep playing leagues / tournaments until the next one gives you the prize you want. 

But, if you don't care about your Blitzball stats, you can simply abuse "reset data" in the blitzball menu. That keeps resetting your Blitzball data to the initial values, but it also refreshes the tournaments and leagues. That way, you can reset data until you get offered a league / tournament with the Reel you want as a prize. 

If you use the "reset data" method, you'll only need to play 24-26 games, depending on whether you are on the short or long bracket of the tournaments.  

Edited by Arcesius

Definitely recommend replacing all the Aurochs as they don't really get good unless you level them up a lot. Tidus is definitely OP thanks to his high shoot and jecht shot ability. Brother is also a must and he can swim circles around anyone. As long as you can get high attack offense you can sweep and score easy on most teams outside maybe the AL bhed and Luca goers

12 hours ago, MyOwnKillingMoon said:

Definitely recommend replacing all the Aurochs as they don't really get good unless you level them up a lot. Tidus is definitely OP thanks to his high shoot and jecht shot ability. Brother is also a must and he can swim circles around anyone. As long as you can get high attack offense you can sweep and score easy on most teams outside maybe the AL bhed and Luca goers

I ended up getting good at it. So good that its actually gone from 'What the f**k am I supposed to do!!!!!' to 'It's so easy its dog s**t boring'.

Took a breather from it and found out how you go about winning the reels and sigil. Halfway through a league at the moment so will try it when its finished. 

• 8 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, StressEater said:

God I hate Blitzball! I always feel like it is unbalanced. The opposing team walks all over me. Its as if they are the Major League and my team is the Pee-Wee League that your 6 year old plays on. 

Use the guide to get the best players for free and whatnot and it becomes a breeze. I cannot remember them as its been a while, but Whakka is a waste of time unless you really invest in serious time with him.