When it is best to farm random battles?

DaveMcDamage

I everyone,

Me again. Trying to find posts relating to my questions but I am crap at forum stuff and apologies in the most awesome of ways if it appears I am doing majoring spammidge of the board. 

Anway. I just did the first blitz tourny (thanks to members on here for the advice) and I'm now in a new location. Looks like a huge road near a field and can now use save points to play blitz etc. Apologies as I am truly crap at remembering location names. Anway. I don't want to get too far ahead and then suddenlt cannot progress because I haven't leveled up my characters enough. So is there a really good time to start leveling up for each area etc. I think now I am on the path to the Djose temple or something. I do try to get as many randoms battles in as I can but I cannot tell what level my characters are in this game other than that I know I have between 5-15 upgrades per character I have so far. 

Again. Much awesome info is appreciated. 

Mihen Highroad huh? You're bound to fight a boss soon enough  but since it's a bit harder than the other bosses you fough before you're allowed to lose this one. After this you'll go to Mushroom Rock Road, this is when you get a difficulty spike with another boss, I'd suggest levelling up a little in the Mushroom area, and saving overdrives for that boss. Also, in the Mihen Highroad you're bound to meet another summoner by the name of Belgemine (useful for an optional Aeon questline), you don't have to defeat her, but looking if you're struggling against her is a good way to gauge your level progression.

54 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I everyone,

Me again. Trying to find posts relating to my questions but I am crap at forum stuff and apologies in the most awesome of ways if it appears I am doing majoring spammidge of the board. 

Anway. I just did the first blitz tourny (thanks to members on here for the advice) and I'm now in a new location. Looks like a huge road near a field and can now use save points to play blitz etc. Apologies as I am truly crap at remembering location names. Anway. I don't want to get too far ahead and then suddenlt cannot progress because I haven't leveled up my characters enough. So is there a really good time to start leveling up for each area etc. I think now I am on the path to the Djose temple or something. I do try to get as many randoms battles in as I can but I cannot tell what level my characters are in this game other than that I know I have between 5-15 upgrades per character I have so far. 

Again. Much awesome info is appreciated. 

Sounds like you're on the Mi'ihen Highroad, if you're wanting to farm fights then hang round the save point at the beginning of the road as the save points are few & far between there

27 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Mihen Highroad huh? You're bound to fight a boss soon enough  but since it's a bit harder than the other bosses you fough before you're allowed to lose this one. After this you'll go to Mushroom Rock Road, this is when you get a difficulty spike with another boss, I'd suggest levelling up a little in the Mushroom area, and saving overdrives for that boss. Also, in the Mihen Highroad you're bound to meet another summoner by the name of Belgemine (useful for an optional Aeon questline), you don't have to defeat her, but looking if you're struggling against her is a good way to gauge your level progression.

Everytime I quick-glimpse at your avatar I keep thinking David Grohl is giving me FF advice.

Cheers for the info again man. I am aiming for 100% completion so is that Belgemine vital towards the actual completion. 

Who do you use in yours fights? So far I have been using Tidus (always) Yuna and the blue dog man (switch between these two) Lulu for her magic, Wakka for his crap even though at the moment his hits are pretty weak. Not had chance to use much of Auron yet though. 

Be honest with ya man. I started getting nervous sweats when I saw the size of the sphere grid and then the trophy for upgrading all characters. I reckon thats a game killer trophy if ever I saw one. 

But for now I shall beat the hell out of random attackers whilst venturing forth among the mushroom fields..... Right after this blasted joypad has charged up of course.... Gah!

Haha, the image is from an italian comedian.

Regarding your questions, let's see.

Early game I tend to rotate with all characters, you're bound to if you're looking to get the platinum, the characters I used the most eere Wakka, Lulu  and Auron, not a fan of  Kihmari, as his blue magic requires the overdrive, late game you'll most likely end up wuth Tidus, Wakka and the Albhed girl you met at the start of the game, your 7th  last party members who'll unlock the related trophy, with Yuna on the backside  with her Aeons for shielding damage. Auron is also useful for an unique overdrive that lowers opponents' defenses. Lulu and Kihmari late game aren't very useful, though early game Lulu is probably the best.

As you travel your Mihen Highroad you should automatically meet Belgemine, (rest assured that only one trophy, the Albhed Primer is missable in this game, and that's because you won't get access to Bevelle after story related events) after that you'll meet her again at the Moonflow, which happens after the Djose Temple and at the Calm Lands. Mihen and Moonflow she's pretty much visible and you can't miss her, at the calm lands you'll have to travel a bit South from the Save Sphere to meet her, and finally at the Remiem Temple, an optional area in the Calm Lands you can access only by chocobo.

Oh and yeah, the sphere grid will be a major pain in the ass, but don't think about it too much now, it's a far off task.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

Personally I recommend having the fira, watera, etc spells by the time you reach sinspawn gui boss fight. Auron is very useful against bombs and hard shelled enemies. I always level everyone pretty equally. I do have bad news that by picking the standard sphere grid you will have a bigger job ahead of you filling it completely but that is end game territory. If you don't already, always bring in all team members for a turn against bosses for leveling. 

1 hour ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Haha, the image is from an italian comedian.

Regarding your questions, let's see.

Early game I tend to rotate with all characters, you're bound to if you're looking to get the platinum, the characters I used the most eere Wakka, Lulu  and Auron, not a fan of  Kihmari, as his blue magic requires the overdrive, late game you'll most likely end up wuth Tidus, Wakka and the Albhed girl you met at the start of the game, your 7th  last party members who'll unlock the related trophy, with Yuna on the backside  with her Aeons for shielding damage. Auron is also useful for an unique overdrive that lowers opponents' defenses. Lulu and Kihmari late game aren't very useful, though early game Lulu is probably the best.

As you travel your Mihen Highroad you should automatically meet Belgemine, (rest assured that only one trophy, the Albhed Primer is missable in this game, and that's because you won't get access to Bevelle after story related events) after that you'll meet her again at the Moonflow, which happens after the Djose Temple and at the Calm Lands. Mihen and Moonflow she's pretty much visible and you can't miss her, at the calm lands you'll have to travel a bit South from the Save Sphere to meet her, and finally at the Remiem Temple, an optional area in the Calm Lands you can access only by chocobo.

Oh and yeah, the sphere grid will be a major pain in the ass, but don't think about it too much now, it's a far off task.

Cheers man. 

59 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Personally I recommend having the fira, watera, etc spells by the time you reach sinspawn gui boss fight. Auron is very useful against bombs and hard shelled enemies. I always level everyone pretty equally. I do have bad news that by picking the standard sphere grid you will have a bigger job ahead of you filling it completely but that is end game territory. If you don't already, always bring in all team members for a turn against bosses for leveling. 

The old switch-aroo eh? Yeah I do that but never thought to do it for that reason. Awesome advice man, cheers. Yeah I asked the question about standard and expert grid but people recommended the standard grid. No worries though, I basically have until February to 100% complete this game haha. 

Also. The darkness skill. Is this best used against flying enemies? I only ask because I used Wakka dark throw thing and this flying fugly kept missing with its attacks. 

Darkness isn't an element on this Final Fantasy but a status in the name of "blind", basically  you lower the accuracy of enemies and in the area you are now those things with the horns and lot of HPs are weak to it. Of course, most bosses are immune  to blind, but you can check the weaknessess of enemies with either the ability Scan, or the "Sensor" automatically inserted on some weapons.

Hi all, I just provide some more general advice :).

During my time with this game I used some guides I found at gamefaqs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/102484-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/69037

Very good in my opinion are:
FFX FAQ/Walkthrough (PS3) from beefybuffalo   (HTML-Guide)

FFX FAQ/Walkthrough (PS3) from KeyBlade999  (TXT-Guide)

• You can actually skip everything within this guides which is walkthrough related and just focus on other information.
  • What I also used was a PDF-version of the old FFX walkthrough from Piggyback.

If you want to platinum this game I suggest that you keep some things in mind:

Spoiler

1) Missable trophies ==> Just make notices what you shouldn`t miss.

2) Make a notice regarding some points in this guide FFX FAQ/Walkthrough (PS3) from KeyBlade999  (TXT-Guide) for:

a. Kimahri's Overdrive: Ronso Rage

b. Auron's Overdrive: Bushido

3) Remember the elementary weakness chart: Fire <--> Ice // Lightning <--> Water
4) Postgame Blitzball Spoiler inside!

Spoiler

If you are at Postgame and you need the items you get through Blitzball remember to reset Blitzball every season and make a contract with these players asap:

a. Shooters: Tidus (You start with him), Wedge (Luca Stadium, Main Gate)

b. MidFielders: Brother (Airship, Bridge)

c. Defenders: Ropp (Mi'hen Highroad, Travel Agency), Zalitz (Luca, Theater)

d. Goalies: Jumal (Luca Seaport, Square) and/or Miyu (Moonflow, North Shoopuf Wharf)

I wish you fun with that game :).

Cheers guys,

Currently doing some farm battles on that road. Got some nice stuff out of it too as well as being able to upgrade Wakka so that he can extract ability points. 

You know the trophy for filling everyones sphere grid. does that also include the blank spots? I only ask because I think I had something called strength sphere and with Lulu she turned a blank sphere into an upgrade. 

Auron is a pain in the arse to upgrade eh? But I suppose it will get easier thanks to Wakka's ability sphere drain. 

Also. On the grids I see L1, L2 etc etc. How or what do you use on these to unlock them as I would love to get Kihimirhirri's (apologies) dark touch but its blocked by an L1. Gonna go back to farming and shall return for awesome info from you guys. Cheers. 

EDIT

Ignore the thing about Dark Touch, that is for Wakka for Kihi. Got confused by all the lines etc. 

SUPER EDIT

Beat Belgamine with Valefor. Started with an overdrive and used the ray, then took enough hits to give me a second overdrive and used blast. She gave me an echo ring for Yuna :D

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Every single spere needs to be filled.  Empty ones are filled with stat spheres as you found with Lulu. Personally I saved all of my stat spheres to use at one time so I would know exactly how many I need to max all characters.  Stats max out at 255 but some have some soft caps like agility IIRC.

You need key spheres for the level 1, 2, 3, and 4 spheres.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Every single spere needs to be filled.  Empty ones are filled with stat spheres as you found with Lulu. Personally I saved all of my stat spheres to use at one time so I would know exactly how many I need to max all characters.  Stats max out at 255 but some have some soft caps like agility IIRC.

You need key spheres for the level 1, 2, 3, and 4 spheres.

Cheers mate. Yeah as I posted that I met a random NPC who gave me a level 1 sphere and then I got another in Rin's shop off another NPC. 

5 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Well as I mentioned earlier I beat her thankfully and got an echo ring for Yuna. Cheers for letting me know about her as I might have avoided her otherwise. 

Then moved further on and even after some farming those fire bomb monsters were giving me crap. A mixture of aeons and Lulu's ice gets them, but got to be quick. 

Then I beat that Choccobo monster. Used Kihirimis overdrive and chose self destruct. It did around 2k damage but never realised it wipes Kihi out completely and unable to use life or anything. Used Aurons overdirve but wasn't impressed as it only did about 300 points of damage. After that I used Yuna and her aeons and made short work of the monster. Made a save and taking a little break for now.

Hi guys,

Just reached the Thunder Plains and I remember you have to dodge the lightning 200 times (thanks again Japanese devs for overkill), but to do it with a no encounter item. I do not have one of these so is it best to come back and do it when I have one before even attempting this horrible requirement?

Other than this, the game has been awesome since winning that horrible blitzball game. Brrrrrr!

Edited by DaivRules

18 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Just reached the Thunder Plains and I remember you have to dodge the lightning 200 times (thanks again Jap devs for overkill), but to do it with a no encounter item. I do not have one of these so is it best to come back and do it when I have one before even attempting this horrible requirement?

Just come back later when you get an equipment with a No Encounter ability. It isn't that hard anyway since there's a crater spot to farm the bolts.

18 hours ago, RavenScythe said:

Just come back later when you get an equipment with a No Encounter ability. It isn't that hard anyway since there's a crater spot to farm the bolts.

Cheers man. Yeah I moved on. 

Been doing some farming in the Macalania forest place and then bumped into a boss called Seprimorph or something. Couldn't figure it out at first as whatever I did it gave the enemy energy, and even thought it might be unbeatable and lead to a cutscene but then found out you have to react with magic to what ever it casts. So water against thunder etc. 

Ok I am now on the air ship but couldn't figure out how to chose destination. I have to save Yuna at the wedding so I did some more looking. 

So after much looking and eating pizza it turns out you cannot select destinations until you beat some Yunalesca chick or something. So once I beat her I can deffo then concentrate on farming, jecht spheres, sphere grid, and everything else before I head to what I presume will be the final battle?

18 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Ok I am now on the air ship but couldn't figure out how to chose destination. I have to save Yuna at the wedding so I did some more looking. 

So after much looking and eating pizza it turns out you cannot select destinations until you beat some Yunalesca chick or something. So once I beat her I can deffo then concentrate on farming, jecht spheres, sphere grid, and everything else before I head to what I presume will be the final battle?

Farming is not really important for the final battle, but for the optional bosses/superbosses...

Guy, got another question....

I have just beat Defender X and now at a cross roads. If I follow the red arrow it will take me to what I assume will be a story continuation. But Lulu also informs you about going down into the valley. I went down and you actually find another fayth temple. Tough as nails inside but then I wondered if I should even be in here. 

Is it indeed best to do this temple first and then go to the red story arrow, or is this temple like a hidden boss type thing which is way out of my league right now?

EDIT

@RavenScythe @scemopagliaccioh @Lance_87

Carried on into the cave. Really does have some tough enemies but then eventually managed to get Yojimbo (I thought it would have been pronounced Yo-yim-bo, not, Yo-jim-bo.... anyway) and also found XXV of the albhed letters. I have been following a location guide for those as its the only miss-able trophy but the next two seem a bit way out of my league. Should I just continue on to Mt Gagazet and continue the story until I can choose destinations with the airship?

Edited by DaveMcDamage

If you have the Bevelle's primer then yes you're pretty much safe, you need an airship for the Omega Ruins anyway. Gagazet and Zanarkand have another difficulty spike in another fight with Seymour and the Yunalesca chick you mentioned. They both love zombie status (Yunalesca also spams death, who 100% kills if you're not affected by zombie, making it a potential one turn party wipe), there should be a vendor who offers some protection against those status in Gagazet.

6 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

If you have the Bevelle's primer then yes you're pretty much safe, you need an airship for the Omega Ruins anyway. Gagazet and Zanarkand have another difficulty spike in another fight with Seymour and the Yunalesca chick you mentioned. They both love zombie status (Yunalesca also spams death, who 100% kills if you're not affected by zombie, making it a potential one turn party wipe), there should be a vendor who offers some protection against those status in Gagazet.

Cheers man,

Yeah I just got to Yunalesca and she pretty much wrecked me. I didn't know that being in zombie status is a good thing, I take it thats only for when she casts megadeath or something?

I watched a video on how to kill her with Yojimbo from her second stage, but do you think I should first wreck her first stage with other characters to get some ap? Still not sure how many turns or what is needed to actually give players AP. 

I also looked into the celestrial weapons. They should have made that mirror you need a lot more important quest wise, as after looking at it, it seems there is a chest there when you kill Yunaleski, but I won't be able to open it without a mirror. It was the same when I found the 9 monsters at the calm lands but couldn't open the chest, but at the time didn't know about this mirror thing.