Any tips for a starter squad?

CubeLaugh

looking for some guidance from experienced players of the game to help me with picking a starter nation and what league should I mainly concentrate on? and is SBC Pukki worth it I don't really play UT that much but this year I've decided to put more effort into the mode specially for the Division 4 Trophy 

Never played a FIFA game at launch, only picking them up when the market has stabilized its price, so this experience may vary. I usually start forming two cheap gold squads: a full brazilian squad and another consisting of english players (as soon as I get richer, my english squad slowly evolves in a premier league one) so I an easily swap between them to avoid my players getting tired.

Use the coin boosts from EA FC Catalogue so you can always get 1k~1.5k in your first matches, which will help a lot buiding your first teams

Stay away from the Premier League for a while, since it's the league everyone wants to build a squad, therefore the prices are always high, especially in the beginning of the game cycle. Although, the Pukki SBC sounds solid and cheap. 

Regardless of your intention with the game, if either you are going only for the trophy or wants to play Weekend League, i recommend building only one squad, and using Squad Fitness every two matches if you are playing offline, and every match if you are playing online. Right now, they are very cheap (about 500 coins each). 

The Bundesliga this year is a very good option for every position, but a hybrid is always a better choice. Complete the Advanced SBC's first before building your team, since you will always profit from those and can hit a big player. In the end, it depends in a lot of factors, your budget, your preferred formation, etc. DM me if you need further help. 

PS: The EAS FC boosts are no more because of the introduction of Seasons. You will get coin boosts only from there with Season Objetives, or as a gift if you are a Veteran player. 

Try to figure out how you want to play, for example I like to play on the counter attacks with a quick build up. When I have the ball I rather have my left and right back staying behind and midfielders as back up. Pace is quite the thing in every FIFA so fast players are gonna be expensive and slow defenders can lose you a game.
I am currently playing with a 4-2-3-1 formation and can recommend using Promes as a LM, Van de Beek as a CAM, Bergwijn as a RM and Malen as a ST. Malen currently has an IF so he is a bit expsenive. The other three players are quite cheap compared to similar players from the premiere league or the bundesliga or the BBVA. 
Last tip, use the custom instructions and test your team in squad battles.