Why Overwatch deserves a 10/10 platinum difficulty

Mr_Tenno777

This platinum pissed me off to a extent. I was so pissed off with Rapid Discord and Waste Not, Want Not I had to boost them. I really fell like ow is one of the hardest games on PS4 to get the platinum. Im not saying boosing making this harder, I had done 86% of the base game trophies. And most of that percentage pissed me off. Mei and Pharah are the exceptions. Blizzard will make this platinum harder doing legit. Armor Up is a trophy that pissed me off hard because I had to absorb 500 armor damage without dying. I hate the platinum, It pissed me the hell off. End of story.

(Note: 4/10 if you are gonna boost this game. This forum is about how I got pissed off over this platinum. from then on, I will boost an new ow characters)

• Like 4

You said it, if the boosting option is available then it wouldn't deserve a 10/10

I even think boosting got even easier because now there's the 2-2-2 quick play and the classic one . Most people play the classic which will make finding your friends a lot easier

But the bad thing is there will be 2 tanks but thankfully most of the trophies require only 4 kills which you can get by killing the healers

4 hours ago, VIayerTheSlayer said:

You said it, if the boosting option is available then it wouldn't deserve a 10/10

I even think boosting got even easier because now there's the 2-2-2 quick play and the classic one . Most people play the classic which will make finding your friends a lot easier

But the bad thing is there will be 2 tanks but thankfully most of the trophies require only 4 kills which you can get by killing the healers

As it stands, you can't get trophies in quickplay classic as it's in the arcade mode. Blizzard have said they are looking into changing it so quick play classic will unlock them the same as quick play but haven't made any changes yet.

The majority of my trophies I got legit but there are a couple I boosted that just weren't happening otherwise like Rapid Discord & Cratered.

Some trophies have been reworked that make them much harder to get now, Huge Rez for Mercy is a prime example, Hanzo's Simple Geometry is another.

And then some have gotten easier like Winston' s Mine Sweeper, just wait for a Wrecking Ball to drop his ult & that's a guaranteed trophy, you used to have to pick him, hope there was a Symmetra on the other team (this was during her old kit so next to no-one ever played her) & then hope you could find her turrets before anyone else destroyed them or she switched out.

I'm currently struggling to get Sigma's Event Horizon (55 hours played as him & counting) as people keep taking kills from the triple that would get me my trophy, ie I get 3 or more in my ult with less than half health & before they slam into the ground a Widow or Solider will take the kills rather than fight the people still on the ground. I refuse to boost it though as he's actually one of my favourite characters to play as.

• Like 1

On a backup I got 60% of the trophies (around 2 years ago, now probably closer to 40-45% with new characters) without really trying in around 50 hours of game time, purely for fun. I can't comment on the Platinum as a whole, but there are definetly harder games out there. Just requires mastery of certain characters.

Also, at least Overwatch is actually completable on PS4. The Xbox version is impossible to max out, ever, unless you have played Overwatch continuously since launch. It's not patch-able either, as the Xbox version for some reason includes missable time-limited achievements based on the annual events that if you missed, are locked forever. How quality control allows achievements that can only be unlocked within 1 month, and then become permanently unobtainable, I'll never know (fortunately I don't have Overwatch on my main completionist profile so no problem for me). I'm really glad for PS4 users that they don't have to worry about these trophies.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 3

On 9/22/2019 at 10:37 PM, VIayerTheSlayer said:

If you are doing it legit, it is a 10/10.

On 9/23/2019 at 3:19 AM, ObsceneSociopath said:

As it stands, you can't get trophies in quickplay classic as it's in the arcade mode. Blizzard have said they are looking into changing it so quick play classic will unlock them the same as quick play but haven't made any changes yet.

The majority of my trophies I got legit but there are a couple I boosted that just weren't happening otherwise like Rapid Discord & Cratered.

Some trophies have been reworked that make them much harder to get now, Huge Rez for Mercy is a prime example, Hanzo's Simple Geometry is another.

And then some have gotten easier like Winston' s Mine Sweeper, just wait for a Wrecking Ball to drop his ult & that's a guaranteed trophy, you used to have to pick him, hope there was a Symmetra on the other team (this was during her old kit so next to no-one ever played her) & then hope you could find her turrets before anyone else destroyed them or she switched out.

I'm currently struggling to get Sigma's Event Horizon (55 hours played as him & counting) as people keep taking kills from the triple that would get me my trophy, ie I get 3 or more in my ult with less than half health & before they slam into the ground a Widow or Solider will take the kills rather than fight the people still on the ground. I refuse to boost it though as he's actually one of my favourite characters to play as.

I know that Winston trophy is easier, but Torbiorn's trophy armor up is now a pain in the ass doing legit

• 3 weeks later...

The only trophies I boosted were Doomfist, Baptise, and Sigma. I will say it is very difficult, but would not give it a 10/10. Most of the trophies are more luck-based than skill-based. There are some exceptions, but having 4 people get hit by an ultimate doesn't take much skill (all you need to do is aim it), but getting 4 people together that don't have any way to negate or hard counter your ultimate is pure luck.

I agree with the 10/10 difficulty as well. After about 500 hours, I just gave up on the platinum on the game as there was too much luck involved and it was becoming less fun due to the changes Blizzard kept making to please the e-sport crowd.

If this trophies were made in cumulative milestone fashion (kill x amount of enemies with x characters), that would have been ideal.

Edited by rotoninja
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

The only trophies I boosted were Doomfist, Baptise, and Sigma. I will say it is very difficult, but would not give it a 10/10. Most of the trophies are more luck-based than skill-based. There are some exceptions, but having 4 people get hit by an ultimate doesn't take much skill (all you need to do is aim it), but getting 4 people together that don't have any way to negate or hard counter your ultimate is pure luck.

I just played Overwatch a few times, but yes I would agree 100% that "Most of the trophies are more luck-based than skill-based". The most difficult part is by far getting your opponents to "cooperate" and be in the right place at the right time and in the necessary numbers. Which is ridiculous.

Paladins at least only has one trophy that now is extremely difficult to get without boosting, as it requires the 9 other players to be dead at the same time, your 5 opponents and your 4 teammates.

It's annoying.

• Like 1

It's a classic 8/10 for me. I haven't played it in months, but man I cannot tell you how skilled I became with Zenyatta, if only because I spent so much time going for his ungodly trophy. To me a 10/10 has to be punishing, almost to the point where it's not just difficult, but pseudo-torturous. (Of mine, I'd say Gran Turismo 5 and Wipeout HD hit that benchmark, almost done with Tetris Effect and that'll be another.) Overwatch has some toughies, for sure, but many are luck-based, and the game is so damn fun the whole time that I just threw my hands up and never really got stressed with it. You just keep playing and eventually it'll happen. 

Edited by JD-D2

It's certainly higher than a 7. I've done all trophies withhout boost and found the platinum a real trip to hell (1000H+ With extreme rage to achieve this).

The hanzo's simple geometry trophy almost made me give up the platinum.

These are currentely the worst trophies in the game for me;

Huge Rez

Rapid Discord

Simple Geometry

Waste Not, Want Not

Anger Management

I envy everyone who played OW in 2016/2017, before the nerfs and reworks.

Edited by FreneticWave
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's a tough platinum purely because most of the trophies are so situational. Rapid Discord you're most likely to get if the other team are all grouped up and you have a good DPS teammate doing some damage. I got mine on Volskaya and couldn't believe when it popped, as it was literally just me and another dude trying to win point A in a losing battle. We went ham, won the point and got me the trophy.

Literally with the vast majority of them, once you earn them the situation to do so wasn't that difficult but it just depends on what everyone else on the server is doing. I think this platinum generally has gotten worse with time as well... generally it's much easier to block a D.Va bomb with shields these days etc. That and the userbase is just more experienced than in Year 1 and so know how to avoid dying to a lot of the ultimates. So getting those 4k's is a challenge.

I can appreciate why this one is a pain for anybody only focused on the trophies. I just love me some Overwatch so I played for fun and was grinding heroes to get good at them. Once you've done so, you know what works best with them which makes the trophy list easier. The worst one I thought was the destroy 3 teleporters in a single game... which was when this was still Sym's ultimate! Ridiculous trophy as Sym often wouldn't even pick that ultimate on the rare occurancies she was actually in the game. 

I got them all without boosting and it really just came down to game sense and situational fortune. As somebody who mained Zen for a bunch of seasons, ironically I found 1500 Transcendence Healing pretty difficult to get. Mostly as my teammates healthpool was usually not too high (what with everyone playing DPS in earlier seasons). I found that one so much easier the minute tanks came back into fashion.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree hugely even though I'm working on it still myself, most of the trophies are incredibly easy and outside a few which may need some skill/proper team comp. They aren't near impossible to do and some trophies are either forgiving or easy to pull off with friends without boosting. It's a team based shooter and some of these trophies are designed in that way that they require you need teammates help to complete them. Ones that are skilled based like Floor is Lava or Ashe's Dynamite Toss basically book down to playing the game enough to know how those characters work. 6/10 I would put it at personally because it requires knowledge of the game and it's characters and small to moderate skill of playing fps games. (I play this game regularly and while I'm mopping up trophies some now I always just naturally played for team comp over hunting.)

Btw too anyone struggling with some kill based trophies as long as the trophy doesn't say "killing blow" regular eliminations count towards those trophies as long as you receive credit for them. For example with Genji's reflect as long you dealt enough reflect damage to two enemies and a teammate got the finish on them you will get the trophy as with a double kill callout. This works for any trophies again without "killing blow" in their description.

Yeah it's definitely a 6/10. Knowledge of the game is a given for most trophy lists and this is no different. Got the platinum tonite myself after trying for specific trophies I needed left and this was with zero boosting. (I got Rapid Discord even within a few matches of playing Zenyatta.) Floor is Lava is definitely the most skilled based but part of its frustration I feel is the default controls definitely don't benefit Lucio's skillset.

• 1 month later...

Thing is the difficulty depends entirely on the patch you're playing on. With Double Shield being so popular (and so many shields now playable in general), some of the multi-kill trophies are far harder than they used to be. The D.Va 4k for example... I can't remember the last time I saw one. 2+ years ago they used to be in practically every game, but tbh if you die to one now you've probably just forgotten where you are or don't know how to position properly. Let alone getting 4 with one! Even if you grav the whole team... no guarantee they all die to a d.va bomb as it's very possible there's a Rein in there who can just block it. Or if not, there'll be characters who can block, or fade out of the grav. Many of the other multi-kill trophies suffer from the same problems.

The playerbase is more intelligent and just used to the game than they were years ago... there are more characters and abilities than before meaning team wipes are more difficult to achieve with one ultimate... It's definitely one which has gotten more difficult with time. That said, a small number of the trophies are easier now than they used to be (minesweeper, 3 teleporters).

I don't know if I'd raise the difficulty of the platinum higher than how it is right now, but as of this typing, I currently have 4 trophies that are serving as the hold out for the platinum and that's the 2 trophies for Genji, and the 2 trophies for Hanzo.  Even after achieving the platinum, I'll still play the game for fun, and even try for some other trophies, when more get added.

As infamous as "The Floor is Lava" is, I got it on the Blizzard World map, where I kept circling around the bottom of the giant statue after you climb up a stair case.  I was on defense when I got it.  Actually, a couple of hours ago prior to this typing, I managed to get the "Air Strike" trophy for Doomfist.  I watched a video on YouTube where a guy showed all the spots on certain maps where you can the full power for the seismic slam for said trophy.

But to get back on track, it's bizarre how I have the more luck and skill based trophies like Rapid Discord, The Floor is Lava, and Waste Not Want Not, but yet I do not have any of the trophies for Genji and Hanzo.  I started playing them more, but usually range from either decent to utter crap.  Would I be able to achieve them more through quickplay instead of competitive?  Because most trophies I got playing competitive.  Waste Not, Want Not I actually went for that one going quickplay, because going for that kind of trophy, I felt it wouldn't be right to screw over players on competitive for that kind of trophy.

Despite how tough I have it with both Genji and Hanzo, I still plan to keep at it, until I get both their trophies.  There were past times for certain other hero trophies where I thought "I'm never getting this hero's trophy", only to end up getting them at a later date.  If getting Genji and Hanzo's trophies in competitive still won't do it for me, then I can see what quickplay can do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:10 AM, heywaad said:

u cant give a game 10/10 for difficulty when 6000+ players have the platinum lol. it was definitely frustrating for sure due to it being pure luck for some trophies but it aint I am bread

except 5900 of those people boosted the game.  Take that into account and do every character 100% legit the game is a 10/10.  Not necessarily a skilled 10/10 but  luck based 10/10 for sure.  that is taking into account dlc since it's free and there is no excuse for not going for the 100%.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1

I did every trophy without boosting, most of it by solo-que in ranked 3000-4500 tier. (Baptiste ulti glitched on me during Beta roll queue)
I think it is a hard platinum and 100%, but not a 10/10, maybe a 7-8. The issue with overwatch is that you are fighting against two forces you cannot controll, one being luck and you need tons of it, not getting insta killed before a key trophy moment or being in the wrong place at the wrong time, there are just so many factors to luck in this game that is always feels unfair which is a really huge issue.  Second issue is that most, "not all" most trophies in the game feels Extremely non teamwork friendly to obtain, it's just about kills at a specific time and not much about being in a good team so more often then not, getting into a chaotic situation is better as you gain ult charge faster and then hope that luck factor pops for that split second you do your ulti but with that in mind as you are sacrificing the team for that moment the rest of the match might be gone and you instead wasted 30 mins getting no progress as nothing is culminative besides level trophies.

The trophy support for Overwatch is straight up bad, it's pretty awful for a team based video game. Getting the feeling you have to fight the system is really annoying.

Oh and yes, when playing solo-que or with a friend or two, you have no overall controll of your team compisition or the enemy team compisition so you are going to loose hours of gameplay because of that issue alone, if you see winston on your team that means half of the trophies you get as support is not doable anymore, well the odds are extremely slim.

It is a really neat game to get trophies in as it shows you are patient, got some luck going for you and is pretty skillful.

Boosting overwatch is a 1/10 difficulty, takes no skill luck or time.

Edited by NightRusticDawn
  • Like 3

@NightRusticDawn I salute you! I managed every single Overwatch trophy legit without boosting any, either solo queuing or coordinating with some friends. This platinum is one of my proudest I achieved.

I’ll do the same thing for Echo trophies, she’s already out but I’ll wait a couple of days until the hype dies down.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 3

Same did these legit for all trophies. But as I mentioned before the game difficulty is fine being a 7-8/10

Alot of these trophies are made in the sense that you would play the game alot and become good at the different characters. But does it deserve a 10/10? No it doesn't because alot of these trophies can be earned by just simple playing and outside a few most won't require an in-depth knowledge of the game although that can make them easier.

A true 10/10 to me would be game that's way out there one that requires the absolute best out of a person or some near impossible feat. It's one that generally can't be boosted and will just require pure skill and dedication unit learning the game in and out.