Free for PS+ October

othmaneAD

I have both but PS Plus has been getting it right.  Full sized AAA games that are very deep AND fun.  Both critically acclaimed.  Less indie shovelware please.

One gold trophy for MLB will be very hard but you can get everything except that (i.e. 90%) pretty easily.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Copanele said:

If I ever consider playing this game, I need to open up Wikipedia and check the purpose of the game. How the heck should I , from Europe, know how to play this game? Never seen a baseball match in my entire life.

I mean...you hit ball with bat and slide around? 

I have have no idea the rules of Cricket but I would not be opposed to figuring that out.  I imagine they are somewhat similar if you know that sport?

Basically hit the ball, try to get around 1st Base, 2nd Base, 3rd Base and then home plate to score a run. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Copanele said:

If I ever consider playing this game, I need to open up Wikipedia and check the purpose of the game. How the heck should I , from Europe, know how to play this game? Never seen a baseball match in my entire life.

I suspect you're being sarcastic, but if you're truly interested in learning about the game, I'd advise watching a game BEFORE consulting a rule book. Baseball is a game that is much easier to pick up the basic concepts by watching it rather than reading about it. After watching a game, then consult a resource to learn more about the finer points if you're still interested.

Baseball can be quite difficult to explain to somebody who knows nothing about it. My wife studied in France for a semester and was asked to explain baseball by some curious French students, which went something like this: "Okay, so nothing happens until this guy throws the ball. The batter swings and tries to hit the ball. But he doesn't have to swing if he doesn't think it's in the strike zone. A pitch can be ruled a ball or a strike by the umpire. The strike zone is... well, it's different for each batter, based on how tall they are. If the batter hits the ball, he tries to reach first base. If the ball is caught on the fly it's an out, even if it's in foul territory. Oh yeah, so there's foul balls and fair balls, which are dictated by the base lines. To get a hit, the ball can't be caught in fair territory, but just hitting the ball with the bat doesn't qualify as a hit, the batter needs to reach first base before he's thrown out..." Watching a game first will provide actual meaning to these sentences. And we're a looooong way away from explaining the rationale behind the infield fly rule.

As for myself, I'll be happy to give this a try without worrying about the trophies. I haven't played The Show since the '09 iteration, which I royally sucked at. Maybe I'll do better this time.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I have have no idea the rules of Cricket but I would not be opposed to figuring that out.  I imagine they are somewhat similar if you know that sport?

Basically hit the ball, try to get around 1st Base, 2nd Base, 3rd Base and then home plate to score a run. 

Cricket is for people in UK i believe. * removed a stupid joke, sorry for whoever read it *

Although the sport itself might be interesting i don't know, I doubt most of the people would receive it that well. It's not as known as soccer or even basketball. 

And @ZitMeatloaf , I was being half sarcastic. I know it involves more than hitting and sliding but sarcasm aside that's all I truly know about it sorry. Caps look awesome though.

I actually did try to watch a match since the announcement but...yyyeaaaaahhhh...  definetly not a sport for me . It goes into "to each their own" territory, it might be fun for people in US and Japan though!

Editing 2 since I read the explanation thoroughly now ,and I quote "The batter swings and tries to hit the ball. But he doesn't have to swing if he doesn't think it's in the strike zone" THIS is where I got lost . I mean, do you want to hit the ball or not?

Yes I might be in over my head with this sport xD honestly it started to be more interesting than TLoU

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sifferino said:

I won’t even bother claiming it. And TLOU, while a great game, what are they thinking? Everyone who is interested already has this game and those who don’t probably aren’t interested. And don’t give Europeans a baseball game, come on! *sigh*

But give them a Cricket game, and.......

10 hours ago, Copanele said:

You won't need Wiki. The game has a terrific tutorial mode. It also has a terrific practice mode, where you can set up the scenarios, baserunners, count, etc. The purpose of the game is to outscore your opponent, then get 27 outs over 9 innings. There is no timer, which makes baseball a tense game in the playoffs. Sometimes tie games go to extra innings where the home team has the advantage because they get the last at-bat.

If you never watched a game, it may take you awhile to learn all the intricacies of baseball. I can tell you that it may take you years to figure out most things, but at it's core, it's a simple, some say boring sport. Real-life baseball is a frustrating game where hitting a baseball at higher levels is tough. To give you an idea, as a batter, success 3 out of 10 at bats is considered success! So if you see a batting average, lets say .321, it means you're a pretty good hitter. Pitching is a science, with so any pitches at a players disposal. It's about changing pitch speeds, batters 'eye-level' and simple deception to get batters out as a pitcher. For example a Change Up pitch is just that. It's thrown with the same arm speed as a fastball, but held deeper in the hand to come out slower to trick batters. A '12 to 6' Curve is called that because it starts at your nose, ends at your toes. A Slider is just that. It looks like a fastball coming in, but it should slide away from a batter, if a right handed pitcher is facing a righty batter, or vice versa. So if you hear the term 'breaking ball,' it is anything that comes in with drastic movement, mainly Curves and Sliders. That said, some fastballs have subtle 'late' movement because a good hitter can time and crush pitches coming in straight as an arrow. 

It's a tough game at times, but if you put it on Beginner mode and re-visit the tutorials, you may fall in love with the sport.

Edited by TheGoaler
Added some baseball terms
  • Like 3

The only time I saw something related to a baseball game was the time I saw the movie "Major League" with Charlie Sheen.

P.S. And just to answer to those people that continue to say "cricket", cricket is a sport where just UK has a fanbase, in all the others EU countries nobody cares about it

7 hours ago, X_Wizi_X said:

P.S. And just to answer to those people that continue to say "cricket", cricket is a sport where just UK has a fanbase, in all the others EU countries nobody cares about it

This. And as the UK politicians are so keen to point out... the UK is not part of Europe, apparently we no longer have anything in common ?

... but in terms of cricket, that’s true. 

2 hours ago, Sifferino said:

This. And as the UK politicians are so keen to point out... the UK is not part of Europe, apparently we no longer have anything in common 1f615.png

... but in terms of cricket, that’s true. 

Cricket is also popular in Australia and is even more popular in india, Pakistan and Banglasdesh. Cricket is the secound most popular in the world, it is more well know than basketball and baseball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, patrickogorman19 said:

Cricket is also popular in Australia and is even more popular in india, Pakistan and Banglasdesh. Cricket is the secound most popular in the world, it is more well know than basketball and baseball. 

But those countries are not EU. Some people in the world, no one knows why, think that cricket is a popular sport in EU.

9 hours ago, Killbomb said:

I'll add it to my library but doubt I ever play it since the trophies look like a pain. Don't know what possessed them to go back to ridiculous multiplayer trophies after MLB 17 and 18 were relatively easy. 

There is only one difficult gold trophy (online play).  You can get the others without much hassle or time and sit at 90%, well above your completion rate.  I recommend you give it a shot, it is really a good game!

1) Don't know anything about baseball, and never considered it much more than a gimmick in American family movies when a dad is supposed to bond with his son, because mom is concerned that their relationship has been going downhill recently, and the son is not that much into it first, but he keeps exercising to prove himself worthy and ends up somehow winning the local school championship on his own, and dad is super proud, and all that shit.

2) 8/10 difficulty

3) 150 hours and lots of MP grind

> hey sure why not ?

Edited by JeManquedHygiene
  • Like 2