Free for PS+ October

othmaneAD

Can't wait, definitely going to platinum TLOUS because i've never played it before and it looks fun. As for the MLB, god, haven't played a Baseball game since 2K15 on the Xbox. I know a lot about the sport because I use to play it. I have a ton of trophies. I haven't taken a look at the trophy list yet but people are saying it is a grind. All I know is, only like 30 people have the platinum. Also, if you're reading this, how in the hell are there only 1500 people who own this game on this site?

You guys are really lost when it comes to baseball.

I've been a fan practically all my life. Love the history of the game, the teams, the coaches, the ownership that makes up an entire organization, etc etc etc. I can name hundreds of players past and present off the top of my head.

My main issue is this current era of baseball flat out sucks. Now in 2019 they're trying to juice up the baseball again to try to inflate the home run count. Still doesn't have anything on the steroid fueled era of the late 1990s and early - mid 2000s. Doing it is flat out wrong, probably an attempt to get more people to watch.

The players I just find boring. Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado lack the flair and personality that the older guys had. The current commissioner is a fool. They're also trying to make the game shorter just because of one baseball game that ran for an absurd amount of time due to extra innings.

It's like you guys all go "I don't know baseball, why in the fucking hell is it being offered on PlayStation Plus?" Then don't get the fucking game. Problem solved.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

You guys are really lost when it comes to baseball.

I've been a fan practically all my life. Love the history of the game, the teams, the coaches, the ownership that makes up an entire organization, etc etc etc. I can name hundreds of players past and present off the top of my head.

My main issue is this current era of baseball flat out sucks. Now in 2019 they're trying to juice up the baseball again to try to inflate the home run count. Still doesn't have anything on the steroid fueled era of the late 1990s and early - mid 2000s. Doing it is flat out wrong, probably an attempt to get more people to watch.

The players I just find boring. Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado lack the flair and personality that the older guys had. The current commissioner is a fool. They're also trying to make the game shorter just because of one baseball game that ran for an absurd amount of time due to extra innings.

It's like you guys all go "I don't know baseball, why in the fucking hell is it being offered on PlayStation Plus?" Then don't get the fucking game. Problem solved.

I haven't really followed baseball closely in a long time but when to a game this year so decided I will follow some of it in the playoffs.  It was the sport I was best at growing up.  The game just does not translate well for TV. 

Agree, that small ball (advancing base runners, etc.) is a lost art because of the juiced up baseball.  So hard to compare eras with stats because of this and the steroid era you mentioned. 

Bryce Harper has a lot of flair though - he has the look and personality.  Mike Trout is like the anti-Bryce Harper.  Lacks the flair but is a better baseball player and more worthy of the mega $$$.

@Spaz , if you liked/know baseball, you really owe it to yourself to play this title.  It is very well done and you can use a lot of players from the past on your team.  This is my first baseball title and while I haven't fully gotten fielding and base running down, pitching and hitting feels so natural and quite easy to pick up.

Edited by djb5f

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

A baseball conversation, breaking out on an international forum? Crazy.

Totally off topic, but to the Cubs fans out there - welcome back to misery! It takes a special kind of choke to get swept at home by your fiercest rivals in 4 one-run games.

OK - back on task! I don't get why people who don't like to watch baseball would also not like to play baseball. I mean, I despise soccer. I hate it. But it's a blast to play (outside in real life - I don't really like playing sports games at all. They're too complicated!).

Edited by starcrunch061

On 9/27/2019 at 10:55 PM, Hunter777Merritt said:

. All I know is, only like 30 people have the platinum. Also, if you're reading this, how in the hell are there only 1500 people who own this game on this site?

Two reasons 

1) most who play sports games have played or follow the sport in real life.  Gamers in general are not athletically inclined (hence why they gravitate to indoors and gaming).

2) the platinums for sports games are typically difficult and long.  Two things a lot of trophy hunters avoid.

• Like 1

I'm not intetested in any other sport than football, the real one (and volleyball to a lesser extend), but I tend to avoid football video games or any other sports games due to multiplayer trophies specially if they are grindy.

I'd give Octobers PS+ baseball game a try if it were singleplayer only so I'll only add The Last of Us Remastered to my download list tomorrow. Hopefully they'll change the game like they did with pes20 a little while ago.

Edited by Deceptrox

On 9/25/2019 at 6:31 AM, djb5f said:

I have both but PS Plus has been getting it right.  Full sized AAA games that are very deep AND fun.  Both critically acclaimed.  Less indie shovelware please.

One gold trophy for MLB will be very hard but you can get everything except that (i.e. 90%) pretty easily.  

I agree with this sentiment. I play a lot of sports games so my viewpoint is biased, but one would think people could at least appreciate getting full sized games. For instance, I have no intention to play Sniper Elite, but I at least thought it was a decent offering.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, djb5f said:

I haven't really followed baseball closely in a long time but when to a game this year so decided I will follow some of it in the playoffs.  It was the sport I was best at growing up.  The game just does not translate well for TV. 

Been a fan all my life. 

My 6 year old niece just started playing little league baseball. My cousins played little league back in the 1990s. 

Honestly though, the sport is *always* better watching it in person. TV doesn’t have the same experience. 

12 hours ago, djb5f said:

Bryce Harper has a lot of flair though - he has the look and personality.  Mike Trout is like the anti-Bryce Harper.  Lacks the flair but is a better baseball player and more worthy of the mega $$$.

I grew up watching Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodríguez, Mark McGwire, Manny Ramirez, Randy Johnson, David Wells, Curt Schilling, etc etc etc. 

Ichiro Suzuki is my favorite player. He did what most players today lack: Speed, Commitment, Dedication, and being one of the best outfielders the game has ever had. He never made noise about his playing on or off the field. When he broke the single season hit record in 2004 I appreciated him even more. He was one of my definite role models. 

Mike Trout is perhaps the best all around player today. But like a lot of other players he gave up baserunning to hit more home runs. Barry Bonds did this 20 years ago but even when he was a hulking steroid abuser he still managed to steal more bases. Bonds was one of the best all around players. Bonds, Sosa and McGwire had flair and personality, two things I don’t see too much anymore. 

I have to criticize a lot of pitchers today. They give up too many runs and they’re not as durable. Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens alone were amazing to watch. They also pitched a lot more innings. Today’s pitchers are lucky to last six or seven innings. It’s becoming more common to see utility players and regular batters pitch for half an inning or one inning. 

Baserunning numbers are way down. While I love the home run ball like everyone else, I value clutch hitting and running the bases aggressively a LOT more than just slugging home runs left and right. I respect guys who steal a lot of bases because they get a team rolling. Players who score when the team needs it and excel at the small ball. But this year I’ve seen a lot less of that and more about hitting the home runs. 

That 24 year old kid who plays for the New York Mets just recently broke 50 home runs. Which is impressive considering he’s only a rookie. But Aaron Judge already did that two years ago for the Yankees. Now I’m just... meh. 

Edited by Spaz

On 2019年9月30日 at 8:49 AM, djb5f said:

Two reasons 

1) most who play sports games have played or follow the sport in real life.  Gamers in general are not athletically inclined (hence why they gravitate to indoors and gaming).

2) the platinums for sports games are typically difficult and long.  Two things a lot of trophy hunters avoid.

And lets not forget the servers. Most sports games only last 3 years max before they shut down the servers(some even shut within 1-2 years like 2k and pes) and considering sports games are known to always have the most bullshit online requirements(like ultimate team grinding pushing you toward buying lootboxes just to get it done in a reasonable timeframe, tying modes to real life seasons, community challenges that never get fixed, ect.) its no wonder why sports game have more ultra rare platinums then any other genre. At least this game only has something that looks like it can easilly be boosted once the community migrates to the 2020 game.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 2:31 PM, djb5f said:

I have both but PS Plus has been getting it right.  Full sized AAA games that are very deep AND fun.  Both critically acclaimed.  Less indie shovelware please.

One gold trophy for MLB will be very hard but you can get everything except that (i.e. 90%) pretty easily.  

As someone else has already pointed out, the game is marked a 'Single player' but the guide calls out multi-player only trophies. Can anyone confirm the online-only stuff?

On 9/30/2019 at 9:01 PM, Spaz said:

Bonds, Sosa and McGwire had flair and personality, two things I don’t see too much anymore. 

I have to criticize a lot of pitchers today. They give up too many runs and they’re not as durable. Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens alone were amazing to watch. They also pitched a lot more innings. Today’s pitchers are lucky to last six or seven innings. It’s becoming more common to see utility players and regular batters pitch for half an inning or one inning. 

1. Bonds sure had 'personality,' he was a complete asshole. Remember how he had his own special section in the locker room, and no one could enter w/o his permission? Dude was hated by his teammates. Bonds' hat size actually grew later in his career! Then he evaded, lied and denied about the whole Balco scandal. (Wait! Evade, Lie, Deny - who follows that same mantra today in Washington? Hmm. :hmm:)

He also paid off his personal trainer not to testify against him, and the guy actually went to jail for him. Must've been a fat check.

2. There's a reason Clemens was durable. He was receiving HGH! Oh wait, those were shipments to his wife, it wasn't for him. :facepalm:

I've loved baseball ever since I got my first glove 40 years ago. But please, pick some better players to reference! 

Also, Baseball is the only sport that is a science. Whether it's Little League or MLB, the game is played essentially the same way, using the same formula.  When a ball is hit, every fielder is moving to their correct spot (covering a base, backing up, etc.) in all levels of baseball. Generally, there are no hidden plays. For instance, in football, you have no idea if the WR ran the correct route, which OL didn't cover his assigned blocking space, etc. When you coach kids in Little League, you are teaching them the same position responsibilities that they can see in Major Leaguers. 

It's America's Game, and was the first sport that gained national prominence with geographical cultural identity. Football was still arguing about rules when Fenway was built. GIs in WWII would use baseball passwords bc every American boy would know the teams that played in Philly in the 1940s.

Watch Ken Burns' "Baseball" if anyone really wants to understand what the game has meant to generations of Americans. 

12 hours ago, AUSTRALIANDJ said:

The welcome to the chip trophy you can only get versing other people online @whittle181

Thanks for confirmation - 1 online trophy is better than 23.
To chime in on the argument that Europeans are frustrated for getting a baseball game... a sport which they have little to no knowledge on... it makes you wonder why Sony still included this game as a PS Plus title when they removed PES 2019 just a few months ago. Unquestionably football / soccer is the world's number 1 most popular sport, but not so much in the States, so perhaps this suggests they value the North American market more than any other.

Edited by whittle181
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 9:29 AM, Sifferino said:

I won’t even bother claiming it. And TLOU, while a great game, what are they thinking? Everyone who is interested already has this game and those who don’t probably aren’t interested. And don’t give Europeans a baseball game, come on! *sigh*

I don't get it, why do European's hate baseball?

10 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

That's just the way it is. It is not a mainstream sport worldwide, you guys simply grow up with it. It is a bit like cricket: probably the only reason it is popular outside the UK at all (India, Australia) is because those were former colonies and the British introduced it. Who in their right mind would pick that up if they didn't grow up with it? The real question is: why do you have sports no one else plays / wants to play? Which brings me to an interesting hypothesis: Americans either don't understand or refuse to follow existing game rules! ? America is the only former colony that did not adopt the original games but made their own weird variations. Baseball seems like an (admittedly more interesting) variation on cricket to me, American Football looks like playing rugby while wearing a condom. I mean come on, what's with the silly protection? Look at Aussie Rules Football, now that's a proper game in comparison.

Just having some fun here BTW ?

5 hours ago, Sifferino said:

That's just the way it is. It is not a mainstream sport worldwide, you guys simply grow up with it. It is a bit like cricket: probably the only reason it is popular outside the UK at all (India, Australia) is because those were former colonies and the British introduced it. Who in their right mind would pick that up if they didn't grow up with it? The real question is: why do you have sports no one else plays / wants to play? Which brings me to an interesting hypothesis: Americans either don't understand or refuse to follow existing game rules! 1f600.png America is the only former colony that did not adopt the original games but made their own weird variations. Baseball seems like an (admittedly more interesting) variation on cricket to me, American Football looks like playing rugby while wearing a condom. I mean come on, what's with the silly protection? Look at Aussie Rules Football, now that's a proper game in comparison.

Just having some fun here BTW 1f61c.png

I mean I don't really like baseball and even I barely understand the rules. However to answer your  2nd question. Everyone knows how the states feel they have to be different. It's the reason we do a lot of things (90% of them dumb). I'll admit I dont like sports but I do like sports games since I have more creative control.

on a side note, you havent lived until you been to a ball game and had a soda and hotdog though :P 

5 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I mean I don't really like baseball and even I barely understand the rules. However to answer your  2nd question. Everyone knows how the states feel they have to be different. It's the reason we do a lot of things (90% of them dumb). I'll admit I dont like sports but I do like sports games since I have more creative control.

on a side note, you havent lived until you been to a ball game and had a soda and hotdog though :P 

“More creative control” ?

It helps that you don’t actually get tired either huh? ?

I love the US. I’ve been there quite a few times now on holiday and next time I actually might go to a ball game for the experience!

If you are ever in Australia (I’ve been there once) go to an Aussie Rules game. That game is brutal, absolutely savage. Yet the Aussies treat it like the ideal family picknick, take their little kids and everything ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stargazer2600 said:

I don't think Europeans hate baseball? As far as I'm concerned, people around me and my european friends don't hate it, It's just a sport like any other , however a majority of the world population never encountered it actually(again, my colleagues and my european friends). And not just Europeans...do Africans play it? I believe it's abit different than" I know of this game but I hate it because it's dumb and I hate sports games and screw Sony for not giving me the game that I want". As @whittle181 remarked, it's less about the sport and more about the fact that Sony removed a football game that everybody knows (PES2019) while they kept a baseball game.

Game MIGHT BE GOOD, not judging that. It's the equivalent of offering "Let's learn Kanji on PS4" for free ( I doubt this game exists though). But hey if it's a good free game who people enjoy, sure! It sure doesn't bother me ( PS4 is more of a luxury than a necessity after all). Despite being strong in only half the world, it might actually be more popular than PES2019!

Random history trivia : digging through Romanian history though, apparently we had an ancient baseball variation called " Oina" mentioned around 1360, but instead of a diamond ring we had a 9 points grid. Soo yeah...my ancestors played some sick ass MLB without me even knowing. Guess I never had any right to complain about this game xD .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sifferino said:

“More creative control” 1f602.png

It helps that you don’t actually get tired either huh? 1f609.png

I love the US. I’ve been there quite a few times now on holiday and next time I actually might go to a ball game for the experience!

If you are ever in Australia (I’ve been there once) go to an Aussie Rules game. That game is brutal, absolutely savage. Yet the Aussies treat it like the ideal family picknick, take their little kids and everything 1f60a.png

I mean when you can make wrestlers wrestle each other that normally would never do it. Or put certain people on teams that have never been on teams before in a football or baseball game. That's the stuff I like.

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

I don't think Europeans hate baseball? As far as I'm concerned, people around me and my european friends don't hate it, It's just a sport like any other , however a majority of the world population never encountered it actually(again, my colleagues and my european friends). And not just Europeans...do Africans play it? I believe it's abit different than" I know of this game but I hate it because it's dumb and I hate sports games and screw Sony for not giving me the game that I want". As @whittle181 remarked, it's less about the sport and more about the fact that Sony removed a football game that everybody knows (PES2019) while they kept a baseball game.

Game MIGHT BE GOOD, not judging that. It's the equivalent of offering "Let's learn Kanji on PS4" for free ( I doubt this game exists though). But hey if it's a good free game who people enjoy, sure! It sure doesn't bother me ( PS4 is more of a luxury than a necessity after all). Despite being strong in only half the world, it might actually be more popular than PES2019!

Random history trivia : digging through Romanian history though, apparently we had an ancient baseball variation called " Oina" mentioned around 1360, but instead of a diamond ring we had a 9 points grid. Soo yeah...my ancestors played some sick ass MLB without me even knowing. Guess I never had any right to complain about this game xD .

See growing up in the states. I always assumed baseball was a thing everywhere. Hell even Canadians come across the border to partake.

I was just really shocked when I seen a bunch of Europeans complaining that they had baseball instead. It's like everywhere I looked everyone was complaining about the baseball game and it just had me really confused LOL