Nintendo is killing it this year and thoughts about Nintendo's successes this year

Alantor32

I heard this month's State of Play was kinda weak. Nintendo does it better with their Nintendo Directs. The State of Play this month has nothing note worthy other than The Last of Us Part II and a MediEvil demo that was mysteriously pulled from the PS Store (I don't know). Meanwhile, Nintendo (I grew up with the beloved company who made my favorite video game hero, Mario) is doing so well this year with the Nintendo Switch and new and upcoming games for the Switch and the recent release of the SNES on Switch. So I want to hear people's thoughts about how Nintendo is doing great this year while poor Sony is doing horrible this year.

As much as I am afraid to admit it, but Sony isn't doing good this year while I am glad Nintendo is doing so well this year with the Switch. And even when the Last of Us Part II releases next year, I honestly think it may or may not help PS4. Share your thoughts on this.

Nintendo has had a hard time winning me back after the betrayal that was the Wii U fiasco, and the precipitous decline of Zelda. But they're getting closer and closer to building up a library of games and features that might make me want to get a Switch... maybe next year, even.

As for Direct vs. State of Play, they're both equally underwhelming for the most part.

Edited by AK-1138

I don’t really see Nintendo and Sony competing for all the same audience. The market has grown enough that they can both be successful and it isn’t to the detriment of the other. 

I’m glad Nintendo is doing great, although there were quite a few calls of their imminent death not too long ago...

I’m also glad Sony is still doing well and expect them to have a pretty good holiday season. 

I’m curious how this Apple Arcade plays out and whether or not it impacts Nintendo, as I do suspect Apple is targeting the Nintendo crowd. 

Should be an interesting 4th quarter this year!

• Like 3

The Switch is doing pretty good all things considered, however the Switch does have a big problem coming up. That problem is just how weak the hardware is compared to everything else. We've already seen how some companies had to pull Shenanigans to get certain games to run on an even now. (MK11, the Wolfenstein games, ect..). This problem will only get worse as the years go by and it's the same problem that killed both the Wii and Wii U. 

I know there are rumors for a more powerful switch to come out next year, but I wonder how well that will sell with PS5 and Xbox 4 also out next year.

Other smaller problems that the switch has are: No trophy or achievement system, The price of games stay high much longer when compared to the other systems, the online that you have to pay for still sucks and you have to get an additional accessory just to have the ability to use a lan connection. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Sony having a horrible year? Please. You're clearly being biased here. The fact remains that the PS4 is doing just fine. Days Gone, Death Stranding, BL3, Resident Evil 2, Catherine Full Body, Judgement, Control, Kingdom Hearts 3, Medievil, MH: Iceborne, etc. We aren't struggling on games this year Exclusives, yes. We have Death Stranding and Days Gone are the two "big" ones, and obviously it doesn't stack with Nintendo, but the PS4 is 6 years old and the PS5 is inevitably on its way.

Also, here's facts; YTD, PS4 has sold as many consoles as the Switch, and total console sales, PS4 still doubles the switch. Granted they both have the same amount of market share at this point in time, but the PS4 is 6 years old too. Not sure how that's "horrible" by any stretch.

That is true. Sorry if I confused you with my first post on this topic I made. Both Nintendo and Sony are doing very well. forgive me for that.

Nintendo has become adept at marketing a wider variety of titles, at least on the Western front, and I'll not discredit that savvy move. PlayStation and Xbox tend to lean on the heaviest sellers, to an IMO excessive degree. A drawback can arise, however, when countless Switch gamers can get lost in the seemingly incessant flood of new titles, ports, retro game revivals - see also Steam. Anyway, Sony needed a jolt via the 360 and Wii during the first few years of the PS3, and they may benefit from a jolt again since healthy competition can frequently breed proactive progression, but I don't at all feel that the PlayStation library has sagged, merely that the total tally of exclusives shall shrink for all platforms as developers and publishers continue to expand their outlooks across the breadth of the console marketplace (and, again, PC - even, at times, mobile).

I was born into a family which owned an Atari 2600, and I was spoiled early with both a Sega Master System *and* an NES, then a Genesis / Mega Drive *and* an SNES, plus a hand-me-down Game Gear *and* Game Boy from my cousins. Also gamed on PC w/ edutainment, RTS, and early stealth titles. Back then, exclusives almost entirely ruled the forum; if I hadn't owned an SNES, I would've been able as a SEGA loyalist to play but a pocketful of the titles which /were/ available to both 16-bit dominants. Now, *so* darn many games release simultaneously on multiple platforms that folks can by and large select their preferred as they like, and a solid portion of initial exclusives receive ports within 12 to 18 months besides. It depends, then, on the player's choice of platform,yet also, their target library. Me, I roundly devour Japanese games, from AAA and AA to A and B and C grades. I've got to this day a nice (and, blessedly, not-unconquerable) stable of backlog on PS4 and Vita to accompany me throughout the rest of this year and doubtless through 2020. :) The Switch is certainly flourishing compared to the *raises finger to signify a sharp personal opinion* abysmal Wii U, but it also benefits since it crosses over into the handheld space as a quasi-successor to the high-selling 3DS; since it offers decent power for its smaller size, more developers and publishers can and will capitalize on its swelling hybrid fanbase. Hence the Switch shall continue to receive a larger discrete quantity of games inbound for the months to come. Nothin' strictly wrong with raking in first-timer or double-dipper cash.

Myself, I absolutely thrive on the PS4, much like the PS1 and 2 before it; it alleviated darn near all of my moderate disappointments with the PS3 itself - console, controller, network, and even modestly the PSN store :P albeit modestly! - and delivers an avalanche of video games more than sufficient for my time/cash consumption. I've got Yakuzas, an Ys, Cold Steels, Ateliers, and several standalones like platformers (Shantae, MM, Gunvolt) and visual novels ahead in unreleased and/or unobtained games, to name a portion; Resident Evil, Catherine, Kingdom Hearts, and Persona sell healthily for their positions - I can understand frustrations with the recent MTX-drenched "early access" multiplayer-focused W-game inclination, yet even on this side of the Pacific, for singleplayers like me, we'll receive Cyberpunk 2077 and Bloodlines 2 as punchy fresh WRPGs, plus highly welcome console newcomers like Planescape: Torment. As such, I feel entirely satisfied with my current platforms of PS4, Vita, and PC. The Switch *is* flourishing right now. So's PS4. So's PC gaming. It's grand! A smattering of healthy competition ought to keep the motor spinnin'~ If anything, between classics and new champs, it's an excellent era to be a video gamer!

• Like 2

I see a lot of people saying "Sony hasn't released anything big this year because PS5 is on the way." I don't see how that has to do with anything. Were talking about games not the hardware. Any PS5 exclusives probably wont come till like 2022. PS4 had no games in 2014 other than Killzone and Infamous and Knack. Plus PS5 probably wont come till late 2020 or 2021. So that's well over a year from now. Anyways, Nintendo is killing it this year probably because they have been focusing on games. The new Fire Emblem, Astral Chain and Luigis Mansion 3 plus Animal Crossing is on the way. Not to mention BOTW 2 and Smash DLC. Who knows, maybe a 3DS successor. Nintendo is definitely killing it in games but I wouldn't say Sony is doing horrible this year. 

3 hours ago, MMX20 said:

That is true. Sorry if I confused you with my first post on this topic I made. Both Nintendo and Sony are doing very well. forgive me for that.

There's an edit option lol. 

13 hours ago, Wavergray said:

The Switch is doing pretty good all things considered, however the Switch does have a big problem coming up. That problem is just how weak the hardware is compared to everything else. We've already seen how some companies had to pull Shenanigans to get certain games to run on an even now. (MK11, the Wolfenstein games, ect..). This problem will only get worse as the years go by and it's the same problem that killed both the Wii and Wii U. 

I know there are rumors for a more powerful switch to come out next year, but I wonder how well that will sell with PS5 and Xbox 4 also out next year.

Other smaller problems that the switch has are: No trophy or achievement system, The price of games stay high much longer when compared to the other systems, the online that you have to pay for still sucks and you have to get an additional accessory just to have the ability to use a lan connection. 

Yeah, but my stepmom a few months ago have someone fixed my internet so I can connect my Switch to it easily, so I don't really need the accessory to have a lan connection.

19 hours ago, MMX20 said:

So I want to hear people's thoughts about how Nintendo is doing great this year while poor Sony is doing horrible this year.

LOL at the phrasing of this.

But anyway, SNES on Switch is AWESOME!!! SNES remains my favorite system of all time. The RPGs there are just phenomenal. Hell, even mediocre offerings like Paladin's Quest are about as good as the schlock we see nowadays. My only gripe is that we won't see more games popping up regularly, but a library of SNES games is just what the doctor ordered. I cross my fingers that games like BoF and Super Ghouls and Ghosts get the upscale treatment on PS4 with trophies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMX20 said:

Yeah, but my stepmom a few months ago have someone fixed my internet so I can connect my Switch to it easily, so I don't really need the accessory to have a lan connection.

Wi-Fi will always be worse than a lan connection. Even the greatest Wi-Fi in the world would pale in comparison to an average lan connection. 

Even if your switch is sitting right next to the router your internet on the switch will still be terrible.

20 hours ago, The Titan said:

I see a lot of people saying "Sony hasn't released anything big this year because PS5 is on the way." I don't see how that has to do with anything. Were talking about games not the hardware. Any PS5 exclusives probably wont come till like 2022. PS4 had no games in 2014 other than Killzone and Infamous and Knack. Plus PS5 probably wont come till late 2020 or 2021. So that's well over a year from now. Anyways, Nintendo is killing it this year probably because they have been focusing on games. The new Fire Emblem, Astral Chain and Luigis Mansion 3 plus Animal Crossing is on the way. Not to mention BOTW 2 and Smash DLC. Who knows, maybe a 3DS successor. Nintendo is definitely killing it in games but I wouldn't say Sony is doing horrible this year. 

There aren't many companies that had a better year period than Sony did in 2018.  Maybe Nintendo in 2017 with the Switch release, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey... but Sony had massive sales and hit after hit all throughout 2018.

I wouldn't blame the PS5 for Sony having a weaker year in 2019... but just that you aren't going to be THAT successful every year.  Some games were pushed to 2020, Days Gone was received probably a little worse than expected, etc.  Death Stranding is a wildcard and barely kept its release in 2019.  The Last of Us Part II and Final Fantasy VII Remake are going to make 2020 another HUGE year for Sony though, and that's just up to March.

I don't really think the new Fire Emblem, Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 really make a dent in anything... or Smash DLC... but I'm sure Nintendo is perfectly happy with the money they have coming in overall.  Their fanbase is rabidly loyal and the Switch has had the most successful crossover and third party support of probably any Nintendo console.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Nintendo is for kids with their last gen baby graphics. (jk ofc) Always will be one or two steps behind. Don't care about it really... like at all. 

Don't like the fact that they "stole" many horror titles that were originally for PS and that they are exclusives now for Nintendo.

Gonna give them credit for Bayonetta 2 that they helped developed since no one else wanted and that's a shame but oh well.

Edited by Ptirle

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, AK-1138 said:

Nintendo has had a hard time winning me back after the betrayal that was the Wii U fiasco, and the precipitous decline of Zelda. But they're getting closer and closer to building up a library of games and features that might make me want to get a Switch... maybe next year, even.

As for Direct vs. State of Play, they're both equally underwhelming for the most part.

Man I bought a Wii U on release and had it in the box waiting for a new Zelda,  once the new Zelda finally cam out the Switch had released so I basically just wasted money getting the Wii U.  Then when I finally get around to playing the new Zelda it isn't even a Zelda game,  No temples at all, open world, no cool level design that takes finding certain items to progress in.  Everything I loved about Zelda was gone and replaced with yet another open world game.  Then to top it all off they announce Breath of the wild 2 like 1 wasn't enough.   I used to be a huge Nintendo fan but as I got older it gets harder and harder to play their games.

• Like 1

Switch is in the middle of its life cycle.
PS4 is at the end of its life cycle.

Death Stranding, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima are the last big PS4 exclusives.

I'm 90% sure there were no big announcements this year because they're keeping them for the next gen reveal.

I'm also 90% sure that Horizon 2 will be a PS5 launch title.

And yes, Nintendo is killing it this year. I'm thinking about buying a Switch for Astral Chain, Animal Crossing and other games.

Edited by Alderriz

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Nintendo is doing so well, it's almost a shame that they tend to cater to different audiences. I think Sony could do with a little reality check every now and then ;)

Well, the fact that games that are being censored on PS4 are going to Switch intact might eventually.

Well, this year the slate was enough to convince me to buy a Switch, but still think Sony's doing fine.

The Nintendo Switch is probably my favourite console of this generation. I haven't truly loved a Nintendo home console since the SNES- which I played alongside the PS1- but they really hit it out of the park this time. But it's undeniable that the PS4 absolutely dominated this generation and has had an awesome year as well with more to come yet!