Finally got control of the airship to mop up collectible... However

DaveMcDamage

10 hours ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

The problem with the guide time frames is they are usually someone who rushed, took minimal time to enjoy the story and all content, and did just the bare minimum to get the platinum. Not all of us do that or some of us take detours. My save file was 208:25:05 lol just checked, so trust me I know what you mean. 

Yeah 208 makes a lot more sense. 

No doubt I will be around the same mark. And once I have it done I expect you all to call me Gran Maester Dave from then on. 

Gonna try and get Aeon today, then some Blitzball, maybe a lil monster capturing. And the odd go at butterflies and cocobo racing...... Gah!

I watched a vid on that Tonberry ap grinding last night. Be a bit before I can get into it, but seeing it did bring a sigh of relief for when I need to fill out the grid sphere.

EDIT

Just for future reference. Apart from one of each monster, all I then need is to have caught enough to make the One Eye ultra monster as well as Don Tonberry. Once I have enough for those two then I will be able to farm right? Only asking because whilst I'm aways from being able to do those two fight. I can't wait to ditch these capture weapons and enjoy the new celest stuff.

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah 208 makes a lot more sense. 

No doubt I will be around the same mark. And once I have it done I expect you all to call me Gran Maester Dave from then on. 

Gonna try and get Aeon today, then some Blitzball, maybe a lil monster capturing. And the odd go at butterflies and cocobo racing...... Gah!

I watched a vid on that Tonberry ap grinding last night. Be a bit before I can get into it, but seeing it did bring a sigh of relief for when I need to fill out the grid sphere.

EDIT

Just for future reference. Apart from one of each monster, all I then need is to have caught enough to make the One Eye ultra monster as well as Don Tonberry. Once I have enough for those two then I will be able to farm right? Only asking because whilst I'm aways from being able to do those two fight. I can't wait to ditch these capture weapons and enjoy the new celest stuff.

I don't recall the specifics, and I wish I would've known about the Don tonberry trick. I was aware of the overdrive to AP, but I'm sure this would've cut some of my grind down. As long as you got the minimum to pull it off I don't see why it wouldn't work once you build your stats up you can take on the monsters and start padding out your grid, sounds like you are on the right track.

57 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

I don't recall the specifics, and I wish I would've known about the Don tonberry trick. I was aware of the overdrive to AP, but I'm sure this would've cut some of my grind down. As long as you got the minimum to pull it off I don't see why it wouldn't work once you build your stats up you can take on the monsters and start padding out your grid, sounds like you are on the right track.

Essh! You did it without that trick... You poor guy man.

Been doing more Blitz games and now have all of Wakka's reels. Only crapper is, is that whilst doing the tourney and saving, its also saved the league that was about to start, so now I can't soft restart the game to get better prizes. Looks like its an extra 10 games for me.Or I wonder if just quitting the 10 games will do and then see how I go from there. Thank cripes for backup saves eh.

28 minutes ago, CaptainMonkster said:

I platinumed this recently and had tp use zanmato with yojimbo for all the dark aeons and the strongest boss (can't remember the name of it) 

Nicely done sir. 

• Like 1

Tell you what I have been looking for a, a sort of monster book and what kind of stuff you should use on them. The Kimi scan wastes a turn and isn't that great to be honest. I thought I found one but it was for the PS3 version and some names and stats looked out of whack from the PS4 HD version. Anyone know if there is anything like this?

Got Rikku's celest weapon fully upgraded and started a new league season which has the jupiter sigil as its wining prize so then I can kit out Wakka. Still not looking forward to Lulu, Kimi or Tidus weapon quests though...... Brrrr!

EDIT

I'm done with it.

Spent a while with that chocobo race and realised even when you don't tap teh directions the terrain actually turn you left or right. Messed me over to many times so I had enough of that. Then  went back to try and do the butterflies and again got screwed over because its poorly/old in design. So then I managed to snag a weapon with no encounters on it and gave the lightning thing a try. As I got to 30 I asked myself what the hell I am doing with my time, then 40 60, and by 100 I actually lost the will play. Didn't even give it chance to fail as I just shut the game off. 

Its clear that the main story or basically the first 50 hours of the game are brillinant, but the next 60+hrs for the completion make it one of the worst gaming experiences you can probably aim for. Every time I have a crack at a Japanese game I tell myself its the last one and their completion requirements are too tedious or just not enjoyable.

But you guys have been amazing. Thank you so much for all your help and info when I needed it. Really mean that, you guys were awesome since the very first post I made requesting info about this game. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Tell you what I have been looking for a, a sort of monster book and what kind of stuff you should use on them. The Kimi scan wastes a turn and isn't that great to be honest. I thought I found one but it was for the PS3 version and some names and stats looked out of whack from the PS4 HD version. Anyone know if there is anything like this?

Got Rikku's celest weapon fully upgraded and started a new league season which has the jupiter sigil as its wining prize so then I can kit out Wakka. Still not looking forward to Lulu, Kimi or Tidus weapon quests though...... Brrrr!

EDIT

I'm done with it.

Spent a while with that chocobo race and realised even when you don't tap teh directions the terrain actually turn you left or right. Messed me over to many times so I had enough of that. Then  went back to try and do the butterflies and again got screwed over because its poorly/old in design. So then I managed to snag a weapon with no encounters on it and gave the lightning thing a try. As I got to 30 I asked myself what the hell I am doing with my time, then 40 60, and by 100 I actually lost the will play. Didn't even give it chance to fail as I just shut the game off. 

Its clear that the main story or basically the first 50 hours of the game are brillinant, but the next 60+hrs for the completion make it one of the worst gaming experiences you can probably aim for. Every time I have a crack at a Japanese game I tell myself its the last one and their completion requirements are too tedious or just not enjoyable.

But you guys have been amazing. Thank you so much for all your help and info when I needed it. Really mean that, you guys were awesome since the very first post I made requesting info about this game. 

Ah, that's no good. 

I always loved FFX from the first time I played it when it came out. So for me, the nostalgia and memories pushed me hard, but I was also very familiar with the game and everything. Trust me, if I could do the stupid races for you myself, I would. And yeah the camera angle forcibly changes your direction so then you turn and you end up overcompensating and wasting valuable seconds. If you think that's frustrating, I played a majority of it on my ps vita, that made it 2x worse! I'd be perfectly honest with you, I never used magic much, I just brute forced every monster, or my main three had access to spells as well so I never swapped characters. If I needed a specific thing I just googled it since I wasn't spoiling anything since I played and best it before, just forgot things. 

JRPGs can be like that sometimes. Honestly, if you are burnt out, take a break, play something else, shelf it and come back another time. I would never recommend that you slog through a game that you aren't even slightly enjoying at that present time just for some sort of digital gratification. I'd say if anything, create a separate save, and just beat the game, call it a day. At least you can say you beat it, and not get that Backlog Guilt. But if you aren't enjoying it, don't torture yourself. 

While I can always physically congratulate you or buy you a beer or something if you succeed, at the end of the day if you aren't having fun, it isn't worth the stress. After I got married, and even more so after my daughter was born, I've been more selective with my time, and honestly, most of my recent plats aren't that impressive. I just don't want to drag myself through a long Plat and spend a month, realizing I haven't done shit to my backlog lol so I'm in a bit of a rut myself but I'm going back to old games I enjoyed but stopped playing because I didn't have the console anymore. 

I hope you find the extra motivation one day to give it a crack again. It can be tough, but it's a wonderful game and things like that clearly show its age. If not, I hope the good parts at least resonated with you. Hope to see some updates from you on here for this game, if not, for something else then!

14 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Ah, that's no good. 

I always loved FFX from the first time I played it when it came out. So for me, the nostalgia and memories pushed me hard, but I was also very familiar with the game and everything. Trust me, if I could do the stupid races for you myself, I would. And yeah the camera angle forcibly changes your direction so then you turn and you end up overcompensating and wasting valuable seconds. If you think that's frustrating, I played a majority of it on my ps vita, that made it 2x worse! I'd be perfectly honest with you, I never used magic much, I just brute forced every monster, or my main three had access to spells as well so I never swapped characters. If I needed a specific thing I just googled it since I wasn't spoiling anything since I played and best it before, just forgot things. 

JRPGs can be like that sometimes. Honestly, if you are burnt out, take a break, play something else, shelf it and come back another time. I would never recommend that you slog through a game that you aren't even slightly enjoying at that present time just for some sort of digital gratification. I'd say if anything, create a separate save, and just beat the game, call it a day. At least you can say you beat it, and not get that Backlog Guilt. But if you aren't enjoying it, don't torture yourself. 

While I can always physically congratulate you or buy you a beer or something if you succeed, at the end of the day if you aren't having fun, it isn't worth the stress. After I got married, and even more so after my daughter was born, I've been more selective with my time, and honestly, most of my recent plats aren't that impressive. I just don't want to drag myself through a long Plat and spend a month, realizing I haven't done shit to my backlog lol so I'm in a bit of a rut myself but I'm going back to old games I enjoyed but stopped playing because I didn't have the console anymore. 

I hope you find the extra motivation one day to give it a crack again. It can be tough, but it's a wonderful game and things like that clearly show its age. If not, I hope the good parts at least resonated with you. Hope to see some updates from you on here for this game, if not, for something else then!

Pfft! Don't know what you're talking about my old amigo....

Me?... Quit?... Never!

Turn into a total ginger soft arse bitch? Oh all the time mate. Its a perk of being a ginger. We don't do daylight and we're s**t at video games. 

But I went out to meet some pals and had the same idea as you. At least see the story out and not be a total tool. So when I got back home I switched it on and there I was on the reload... Thunder Plains. GAH! IT'S LIKE THE GODS OF BRUNETTES ARE LAUGHING AT ME!!!!!

So anyway. I thought give it one last crack then move on to the story. Been out to see my mates, I was all chilled again, won't let the game ruin the mood. Just see if I can get the rhythm down and then move on. I do 50 a piece of p**s. I do 75... No issues. 120.... Legs and arms are now tense as f**k. I do 185... or was that 188.... crap I lost count. I get to 195 and tell me self just to keep going just to be safe. I lose the knack and get blasted at 198. Didn't vent though just went to see if it tells you how many you got. 

So I unlock the chest. Yacks on about taking lots of blasts and not giving up. I open the chest it rewards me for 5. I thought no way did I fudge all that up and only 5 counted. Chest closes, I open it again, awards for 10, 20, 50, 100, 150..... then the dark gods of ginge-taria (Not to be mixed up with Thundara... that where cats come from and they make me sneeze).and bless me with that beloved *PING*. Trophy unlocked. So when I lost count it actually played in my favour as I must have counted more than I should have. Must have been bloody close though.  

Saved it there and giving the game a break. At least until I quit out of it when the butterflies and chocobo p**s me off. 

As for you willing to do it for me. Whilst you're awarded the awesome badge of generosity, I would have to decline your awesome button presses. Single player trophies are all about the challenge. Yeah some suck and are really pushing the whole 'is this really trophy worthy or you just trying to shift units?' kind of s**t. But its all got to be done by me or there's no point. Trust me. I did this lightning thing on my second attempt, try Stage 9 on Yakuza Kiwami legend mode and the car chase scene, then screw up and find out you have to do the level, boss fight, and then car chase scene over and over. At about 30 minutes an attempt and 32 attempts later I got it done. 

As for looking online for info. Yeah I started to do that when I got to Omega as I would not have done certain monsters if not for Google and all that juicy info.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Pfft! Don't know what you're talking about my old amigo....

Me?... Quit?... Never!

Turn into a total ginger soft arse bitch? Oh all the time mate. Its a perk of being a ginger. We don't do daylight and we're s**t at video games. 

But I went out to meet some pals and had the same idea as you. At least see the story out and not be a total tool. So when I got back home I switched it on and there I was on the reload... Thunder Plains. GAH! IT'S LIKE THE GODS OF BRUNETTES ARE LAUGHING AT ME!!!!!

So anyway. I thought give it one last crack then move on to the story. Been out to see my mates, I was all chilled again, won't let the game ruin the mood. Just see if I can get the rhythm down and then move on. I do 50 a piece of p**s. I do 75... No issues. 120.... Legs and arms are now tense as f**k. I do 185... or was that 188.... crap I lost count. I get to 195 and tell me self just to keep going just to be safe. I lose the knack and get blasted at 198. Didn't vent though just went to see if it tells you how many you got. 

So I unlock the chest. Yacks on about taking lots of blasts and not giving up. I open the chest it rewards me for 5. I thought no way did I fudge all that up and only 5 counted. Chest closes, I open it again, awards for 10, 20, 50, 100, 150..... then the dark gods of ginge-taria (Not to be mixed up with Thundara... that where cats come from and they make me sneeze).and bless me with that beloved *PING*. Trophy unlocked. So when I lost count it actually played in my favour as I must have counted more than I should have. Must have been bloody close though.  

Saved it there and giving the game a break. At least until I quit out of it when the butterflies and chocobo p**s me off. 

As for you willing to do it for me. Whilst you're awarded the awesome badge of generosity, I would have to decline your awesome button presses. Single player trophies are all about the challenge. Yeah some suck and are really pushing the whole 'is this really trophy worthy or you just trying to shift units?' kind of s**t. But its all got to be done by me or there's no point. Trust me. I did this lightning thing on my second attempt, try Stage 9 on Yakuza Kiwami legend mode and the car chase scene, then screw up and find out you have to do the level, boss fight, and then car chase scene over and over. At about 30 minutes an attempt and 32 attempts later I got it done. 

As for looking online for info. Yeah I started to do that when I got to Omega as I would not have done certain monsters if not for Google and all that juicy info.  

Well I'm glad to know that you powered through! If you give yourself like little goals each play session it becomes more manageable, "like finish X games of blitz all, get stats up to X number, capture all the monsters in this area" etc etc. I find that works for me when I'm confronted with a big grindy game. 

I hope you get that Chocobo trophy because it's a pain with the wonky controls, it feels much harder than it should be, and on the ps2 I remember it being a breeze

1 hour ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Well I'm glad to know that you powered through! If you give yourself like little goals each play session it becomes more manageable, "like finish X games of blitz all, get stats up to X number, capture all the monsters in this area" etc etc. I find that works for me when I'm confronted with a big grindy game. 

I hope you get that Chocobo trophy because it's a pain with the wonky controls, it feels much harder than it should be, and on the ps2 I remember it being a breeze

Indeed. Its not so much the turning of the camera as I had that down, but the actual terrain causes your bird to swerve, especially towards the damn blue birds. 

Anyway....

When I got the no encounter weapon, I also made sure to get the last albhed tablet and got the trophy for that, but also to map out the floor for Omega. Eventually I cam across the ultima weapon. Now I just wanted to test his health as you can't scan, so I used Anima and cast oblivion. That took around 80k off him and then one more hit for an overload kill. I noticed he gives a few L3 unlocks which I need, but I chose to reload as I want to beat him to get better ap for my characters. I was looking around and I keep seeing this 'Trio of 9999' for Rikku, but don't see the advantage. It says it hits for 9999, but some of my regular attacks can do that and aeons even more so. So is that some sort of benefit to that or is it just so Rikku can get a 9999 hit until she is upgraded enough to do that with just a melee hit?

Hi @DaveMcDamage

Appreciate the initial conversation might have moved on but FFX was my first ever platinum (and before i moved from that profile RafeKage to this one Lidiardo). Such great memories.

I still don't know why I did it but when i completed the sphere grid, i actually REMOVED all nodes to not only put the maximum +4 nodes back in (for max stats) but i colour coded them all! ? What i mean is i put all the STRENGTH ones together on the grid, all the LUCK ones together etc etc. I actually printed out a template grid and coloured them all in felt tip so i could make sure i had the right amount. Man... that must've added hours to my gameplay.

Not sure these screenshots do it any justice but if you're feeling frustrated at the grind, just know i was even more of an idiot with it! Haha. ?

FFXa_zpssnksy0bi.jpg

FFXb_zpsker2smlo.jpg

Edited by Lidiardo
Formatting
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lidiardo said:

Hi @DaveMcDamage

Appreciate the initial conversation might have moved on but FFX was my first ever platinum (and before i moved from that profile RafeKage to this one Lidiardo). Such great memories.

I still don't know why I did it but when i completed the sphere grid, i actually REMOVED all nodes to not only put the maximum +4 nodes back in (for max stats) but i colour coded them all! ? What i mean is i put all the STRENGTH ones together on the grid, all the LUCK ones together etc etc. I actually printed out a template grid and coloured them all in felt tip so i could make sure i had the right amount. Man... that must've added hours to my gameplay.

Not sure these screenshots do it any justice but if you're feeling frustrated at the grind, just know i was even more of an idiot with it! Haha. ?

FFXa_zpssnksy0bi.jpg

FFXb_zpsker2smlo.jpg

I'm in awe, shock, disbelief, mind blown and many other emotions. 

That is mental mate, but in the best possible way. Now and again you play a game and its like it was made just for you. I like this game a lot despite HOW MUCH THE MINI-GAMES P**S ME OFF!!!!! *ahem*... But this must have been an amazing game for you to truly get so into like this. I actually wish the grid wasn't as messy as it is and would have preferred a much simpler system to use. But this is great stuff from you and actually what I was logging in to ask. 

I've done a couple of the don tenberry grinds now. Nothing too serious just enough to test it out as I have yet to go to get the monsters from Sin, but didn't progress that far as I don't know if that triggers the end game. Confused on that part and I am told I should get all monsters so I can then unlock triple od to make Don Tenberry even more beneficial. 

But what I wanted to know was this. Now and then I get HP, magic defense, luck etc etc as extra nodes to put in. Is there a specific amount of each you should use on those little empty nodes? I would have to over do it with one type and find out I should have used something else. So for a start do you remember how many empty nodes there are and how did you divide them up?

Also. You mention removing the nodes. How so?

PS: You got some incredible completions done there man. May the run continue for many years to come. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Hey @DaveMcDamage Thanks for your kind words! ?

Yeah i loved the game, very nostalgic for my childhood and the longer summer holidays, when even us blondes didn't want to go out in the sun! ? I've only given half the story on the grind i did but it made me so powerful, i killed EVERYTHING and didn't use Zanamoto once ?

But would you believe..... i've gone into my filing cabinet, deep in the garage... and found the colour coded sphere grid i made! Haha.....

Scan_zpsvbq2bglj.jpg

Is it possible for you to DM me or something with your email address, i'll send it across in case it helps.

For maximum stats (on the standard sphere grid) you need...

Numbers_zps9xmylmge.jpg

If you max luck, you don't actually need anything for Evasion or Accuracy; if i recall i put the remaining nodes in Evasion as it was a round number ? You can buy clear spheres from the trainer at the monster arena for 10,000. You would use them to remove any +1,+2,+3 nodes and replace with +4 equivalents.

But i get the impression the grind is starting to take its toll, so if you are asking what whould i fill the gaps with because i don't want to remove anything and don't care about max stats, then I'll need to google that!

Edited by Lidiardo

1 hour ago, apfelpuffer said:

Maxing out luck is only worth it if you are someone who likes pain. Both grinding the luck spehres and the corresponding activation spehres is a hell of a grind. Pushing it to 120-130 is more than enough for every end game enemy/boss.

@apfelpuffer Very true! I was already knee deep in uneccessary grind ? Certainly if @DaveMcDamage wants a more efficient/quicker way to tick it all off, then i'm hoping there are others like yourself that can advise him, I only have experience of going all in! And i recognise that isn't for everyone! ✌️

17 hours ago, Lidiardo said:

@apfelpuffer Very true! I was already knee deep in uneccessary grind ? Certainly if @DaveMcDamage wants a more efficient/quicker way to tick it all off, then i'm hoping there are others like yourself that can advise him, I only have experience of going all in! And i recognise that isn't for everyone! ✌️

19 hours ago, apfelpuffer said:

Maxing out luck is only worth it if you are someone who likes pain. Both grinding the luck spehres and the corresponding activation spehres is a hell of a grind. Pushing it to 120-130 is more than enough for every end game enemy/boss.

Much appreciate the additional info you chaps,

The grind is bad in the game, but its not horrible thanks to the Don Tenberry method. Now that I have done it a couple of times I can see how much less of a hassle it makes it. Nah the only true problem I have with the game is the mini-games and the camera angles involved, As I said in a previous post, I have to take into consideration that this is an old game which has only has splashes of new paint added to it. So stuff like mini-games that require a whole new mechanic, camera angles, is bound to be dog-s**t.

But other than the chocobo race and the butterflies I'm just chilling out maxing out some stats for a bit.

By the way. On the monster page it has a no name area which is what I assume being inside Sin which I have seen brief messages about. I basically want to get there in order to finish all monsters and be able to create triple od but don't want to push too far and hit a point of no return. Any heads up how much further I can go without actually finishing the game just yet. Cheers. 

EDIT

I was wondering/have a tiny theory on the triple ap weapons with 3 slots...

Now I have Yuna, Auron, Lulu, Wakka and Rikku with the triple ap weapons with 3 slots from One Eye, and I also have their fully upgraded celest weapons. Now for Kimi I can never get more than a two slot Ronso trip ap, and for Tidus I have nothing. Kimi I have his celest weapon and a crest but nothing fro Tidus. Most likely I have just been unlucky getting him a trip ap drop. 

Next up will be farming for spheres. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

Cannot do the chocobo race, but then realised something. As I have mentioned previously, the terrain pushes you with no way to gain control. If the ground forces you left, you cannot adjust to go right. With that in mind then there must only be one clear path to take. No doubt Youtube has loads of successful vids so I will watch and compare the paths that they use. 

Butterflies is still a joke. 3-d enemy movement on a 2d track. Dog s**t. Pissed me off so much I couldn't even be bothered to grind for spheres. 

1 hour ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Cannot do the chocobo race, but then realised something. As I have mentioned previously, the terrain pushes you with no way to gain control. If the ground forces you left, you cannot adjust to go right. With that in mind then there must only be one clear path to take. No doubt Youtube has loads of successful vids so I will watch and compare the paths that they use. 

Butterflies is still a joke. 3-d enemy movement on a 2d track. Dog s**t. Pissed me off so much I couldn't even be bothered to grind for spheres. 

Youtube vids are the way to go for the chocobo race with the balloons, and the one under the temple+getting all the treasures. I was only able to do the temple one watching a video and mimiced it exactly as shown.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:31 AM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

The problem with the guide time frames is they are usually someone who rushed, took minimal time to enjoy the story and all content, and did just the bare minimum to get the platinum. Not all of us do that or some of us take detours. My save file was 208:25:05 lol just checked, so trust me I know what you mean. 

Yeah I keep forgetting about the treasure race. 

I'm probably wrong, but I think having fully upgraded celest weapons is what makes getting triple a weapons to spawn off One Eye much easier. 

As for the chocobo race, this looks like an awesome guide How to Beat The Chocobo Race in Final Fantasy X! - YouTube

By the way. Been looking into a point of no return. Would you recommend I reach this point and then go back to grinding. I ask because once you have one of each monster you unlock some items which make creating a triple od far easier. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

When I did my stat maxing,  Iused whichever character could earn AP quickest. Think it was Auron or Wakka, I had 3x AP weapon for one or the other. I'd use the Don Tonberry method until they hit 99 sphere levels and clear a path around the entire grid and fill in the empty ones as I gathered enough to max the corresponding stat. The only thing I used clear spheres on were luck nodes that were sub +4 - the grind for fortune spheres is to arduous for anything less than +4. The trophy guide for FFX on PStrophies.org has some really good Gamefaqs guides suggested - one I used extensively tells how to beat the monster creations in the arena, of particular importance the monsters that drop the stat spheres and the optimal order in which to do it.

A note on time, I believe it was under 200 hours but the grind took its toll. It took me over 3 years to finish as I had to stop from boredom. The last hurdle came when I was bedridden for near a week from the flu and had nothing better to do than level and stat max. Then kill all the dark Aeons and Penance. Given my condition I chose to forgo crafting Penance armor and Zanmato'd him and Nemesis.  :P

20 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I keep forgetting about the treasure race. 

I'm probably wrong, but I think having fully upgraded celest weapons is what makes getting triple a weapons to spawn off One Eye much easier. 

As for the chocobo race, this looks like an awesome guide How to Beat The Chocobo Race in Final Fantasy X! - YouTube

By the way. Been looking into a point of no return. Would you recommend I reach this point and then go back to grinding. I ask because once you have one of each monster you unlock some items which make creating a triple od far easier. 

Well there are a bunch of creatures in The End area as well, so you can do that, just double check when the point of no return is so you are on the safe side. 

16 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

When I did my stat maxing,  Iused whichever character could earn AP quickest. Think it was Auron or Wakka, I had 3x AP weapon for one or the other. I'd use the Don Tonberry method until they hit 99 sphere levels and clear a path around the entire grid and fill in the empty ones as I gathered enough to max the corresponding stat. The only thing I used clear spheres on were luck nodes that were sub +4 - the grind for fortune spheres is to arduous for anything less than +4. The trophy guide for FFX on PStrophies.org has some really good Gamefaqs guides suggested - one I used extensively tells how to beat the monster creations in the arena, of particular importance the monsters that drop the stat spheres and the optimal order in which to do it.

A note on time, I believe it was under 200 hours but the grind took its toll. It took me over 3 years to finish as I had to stop from boredom. The last hurdle came when I was bedridden for near a week from the flu and had nothing better to do than level and stat max. Then kill all the dark Aeons and Penance. Given my condition I chose to forgo crafting Penance armor and Zanmato'd him and Nemesis.  :P

Yeah even with the Don Tenberry its still horrible as f**k. Wouldn't be so bad if you just has to gain AP, but running out of the spheres still makes it horrible. Been pondering on it and its definitely the last ever Jap game I will ever attempt to 100%. They're never challenging as such, just overkill with horrific grinding. It could even be the last game ever that I 100%, as devs now make gaming worse than work. 

46 minutes ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Well there are a bunch of creatures in The End area as well, so you can do that, just double check when the point of no return is so you are on the safe side. 

Yeah I might do that. 

Had another 5 goes of the chocobo race and had to switch off. Not spending all day at work doing the same s**t to then come home to this garbage. Just gonna do some more story and see what happens from there. 

21 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

I'm on this part myself, so I can share some info. Once you get inside Sin, there are I think 3 save spheres. I know there are least 2. I was testing the point of no return this morning from what seemed to be the final save sphere, and I matched it up with a guide and I was correct. It's pretty obvious actually. There are several short cutscenes as you get close to that point, and it does not kick into a final battle or anything. That final save sphere has an area to proceed afterwards, with those little cutscenes, then you go inside that area, and you can see it's not possible to go back out. But all that is before the final boss battles anyway. From that final save sphere, you can return to the airship, but then you would have to move forward through the area back from that first save sphere that is the Sin landing point.

By the way, I found all of the monsters for "Sin" in between the second-to-last save sphere, and the final one. I am not going for 10 of each monster (since I am not going for the Platinum), but I wanted to at least get 1 of each, which I did.

33 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah even with the Don Tenberry its still horrible as f**k. Wouldn't be so bad if you just has to gain AP, but running out of the spheres still makes it horrible. Been pondering on it and its definitely the last ever Jap game I will ever attempt to 100%. They're never challenging as such, just overkill with horrific grinding. It could even be the last game ever that I 100%, as devs now make gaming worse than work.

The only JRPG games I've tried to 100% are the Neptunia games. Those aren't as insane in terms of trophies.

As far as devs making gaming worse than work, I agree (not about gaming itself, but about 100% completion). I am sick of open world collectible bullshit that serves no useful purpose in-game. I don't mind grinding in JRPGs to make boss fights more manageable, but I don't enjoy doing it for hours on end for trophies. Screw that.

Might I suggest the recent Hitman games, if you have not already played them (on a different PSN profile, they're not on this one)? I'm finishing up Hitman 2 now, and I really like its methodical approach to completing mission locations. Going for those trophies does not feel like work. There is no Platinum, but I don't care. It's a fun game in my opinion.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm on this part myself, so I can share some info. Once you get inside Sin, there are I think 3 save spheres. I know there are least 2. I was testing the point of no return this morning from what seemed to be the final save sphere, and I matched it up with a guide and I was correct. It's pretty obvious actually. There are several short cutscenes as you get close to that point, and it does not kick into a final battle or anything. That final save sphere has an area to proceed afterwards, with those little cutscenes, then you go inside that area, and you can see it's not possible to go back out. But all that is before the final boss battles anyway. From that final save sphere, you can return to the airship, but then you would have to move forward through the area back from that first save sphere that is the Sin landing point.

By the way, I found all of the monsters for "Sin" in between the second-to-last save sphere, and the final one. I am not going for 10 of each monster (since I am not going for the Platinum), but I wanted to at least get 1 of each, which I did.

The only JRPG games I've tried to 100% are the Neptunia games. Those aren't as insane in terms of trophies.

As far as devs making gaming worse than work, I agree (not about gaming itself, but about 100% completion). I am sick of open world collectible bullshit that serves no useful purpose in-game. I don't mind grinding in JRPGs to make boss fights more manageable, but I don't enjoy doing it for hours on end for trophies. Screw that.

Might I suggest the recent Hitman games, if you have not already played them (on a different PSN profile, they're not on this one)? I'm finishing up Hitman 2 now, and I really like its methodical approach to completing mission locations. Going for those trophies does not feel like work. There is no Platinum, but I don't care. It's a fun game in my opinion.

Cheers for all the groovy info mate. 

Hitman is a no-no for me though man. Used to love the series but just didn't gel with the reboot. I was one of the few who truly loved Absolution, but the new series went the old way (the best way for the majority) but for me it just felt too dated. 

But back to this game....

I continued with the story up to the point when it then puts the Sin location on your map. I didn't go ahead just yet though as its time to microwave some food of the gods and chow down. 

So I felt why end the gaming on a high when I should be tearing my hair out. So had a last couple of goes at the chocobo balloon race. I now have all the calculations down but it makes it no easier and also maddens me more. You MUST get to the finish line between 35-36 seconds with a minimum of 12 balloons. If you did it at 37 with 12 balloons then you actually only hit 0.00,00, but what you actually need is 0.00.01 to unlock the sigil. Bullshite of the highest order. You can also only success if the correct amount of balloons appear as otherwise you cannot collect enough and if you take 2-3 seconds longer, then extra birds appear. 

So to clear it up. There is only one path you can take. You cannot succeed is you do not collect 12 balloons minimum and get under 36 seconds. There will only be enough balloons if the RNG works in your favour. I truly hate Japan devs and their overkill of RNG. Sure its easier than building decent mechanics and a good AI, but it takes away from learning curve and skill gains to succeed. But age also comes into it. I remember as a kid you'd have the patience and repetition enjoyment for games like Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Maniac Mansion etc etc, and it wouldn't be a problem. But get older and throw real world job requirements into the mix and trophy collecting can be pretty tedious if the devs don't get the mix of tough challenge, exploration rewards, secret finds, collectibles with a purpose, and all packaged inside a game that feels great and controls superbly. 

Tomorrow I will definitely go for the sin monsters. Then farm the f**k out of spheres and ap. At some point hopefully pass the mini-games and finally be done with it. Gave myself until February and it f**king looks like I'll need it. 

Such a shame the grind requirements slam into you like a brick wall, because as bad as the voice actors are, the story is really decent. I actually prefer it in many ways to FFVII. 

Decided to continue the story in order to capture fiends. During that Sin encounter in the air, you can take some awesome screenshots from the cgi sections. Though I missed out on the one where all the team are on top of the airship, that would be an awesome wallpaper for the PS4. 

So after a couple of battles and finding the pathway when landing on Sin, I then went back to the calmlands to see what fiends I still need. Turns out I only need one called Barbatos after looking online and he sounds easy to fined.

So with that in mind. Once I find him and get the reward for finding all fiends and can then make triple od for the weapons, what should I put on Kimi's weapon. He only has triple ap but only one other slot. Should I just use triple of or would od to ap be better? Same goes for Tidus but I have no triple weapons for him, so should I build double ap, od to ad and then triple od?

14 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Hitman is a no-no for me though man. Used to love the series but just didn't gel with the reboot. I was one of the few who truly loved Absolution, but the new series went the old way (the best way for the majority) but for me it just felt too dated.

I've played and enjoyed all the Hitman games. But don't play things you don't enjoy, that's my motto.

14 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Such a shame the grind requirements slam into you like a brick wall, because as bad as the voice actors are, the story is really decent. I actually prefer it in many ways to FFVII. 

You're an Al Bhed! Yevon won't be happy about that, bruddah!

This is actually the first FF I will finish. I never had a PS1 or PS2, and I only got into JRPGs a few years ago.