Finally got control of the airship to mop up collectible... However

DaveMcDamage

My line up was Tidus, Wakka, and Auron. Wakka did the most damage with Attack Reels especially when I could nail x12 but Tidus was good with his multi-hit overdrives too. Pretty useless if he is only doing 9,999 against the super bosses. I have no idea how you managed to beat all those creations without his celestial,  I mean I know it's possible but...

It's weird how Neslug is the only truly unique creation. 

30 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah Wakka's overdrive got me through a lot of the monster battles. Doubt I would have beaten that N-slug thing without him. Same goes for the ultimate buster too. It was when I got to Shinra or whatever its called that I had to stop. It put Tidus in the battle but without his celest weapon he doesn't do enough damage. Is having comrade the best overdrive perk? Also, was there a technique to always getting the 2-hit reels on Wakka's overdrive? I did it a couple of times but mostly I got 2 hits and 1 or miss.

I remember on FFVII when 9999 was like the ultimate attack lol. Means nothing in this game though.

As for armour. I used the 99 dark matter to make ribbon and put it on Yuna and gave her auto-phoenix. Though she still kept getting poisoned. 

Apart from the grind requirements, the monster grounds was/is awesome fun. Considering the devs wanting you to spend more time here than in the actual story, its a shame they didn't have even more variations of battles. 

But with the grind and that f**king balloon race I just couldn't continue. I didn't even attempt the other race other than when you need to do it for the story. Not even sure if thats worse than the balloon race. 

Got to say it is really interesting reading your journey through this game for the platinum! Really love this game (as I do Final Fantasy in general) and am going for the platinum myself. I am behind you but have been going for over 5 years so far (in regards to the gap between 1st trophy and today) and am using the official strategy guide that they released in a 3 pack along with 10-2 and 12, which helps a lot. 

As for the Chocobo Rider trophy, here is my video I uploaded of doing it - it was the first time I had not got hit by one of those sodding birds, and just got enough balloons and the time to get 0.0.0 as you can see below: (IN THE DESCRIPTION I PUT A LINK TO THE VIDEO WHICH GAVE ME THE REQUIRED TIPS I NEEDED TO TWEAK MY APPROACH AND DO IT WITHIN A FEW TRIES)

55 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

My line up was Tidus, Wakka, and Auron. Wakka did the most damage with Attack Reels especially when I could nail x12 but Tidus was good with his multi-hit overdrives too. Pretty useless if he is only doing 9,999 against the super bosses. I have no idea how you managed to beat all those creations without his celestial,  I mean I know it's possible but...

It's weird how Neslug is the only truly unique creation. 

Nah mate. All Tidus ended up being good for was the Don Tonberry farming, as I had previously killed the most amount of monsters with him. My team for wrecking the rest was Wakka, Auron and Yuna. 

I could probably have wrecked Shinya or whatever its called by just using Wakka and Rikku, but got so sick of seeing Tidus be so useless. My own fault mind. 102 tries I last counted at for the balloon race. Never has anything in gaming evaded me for so many attempts. 

30 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Got to say it is really interesting reading your journey through this game for the platinum! Really love this game (as I do Final Fantasy in general) and am going for the platinum myself. I am behind you but have been going for over 5 years so far (in regards to the gap between 1st trophy and today) and am using the official strategy guide that they released in a 3 pack along with 10-2 and 12, which helps a lot. 

As for the Chocobo Rider trophy, here is my video I uploaded of doing it - it was the first time I had not got hit by one of those sodding birds, and just got enough balloons and the time to get 0.0.0 as you can see below:

Very awesome man. For some reason there is no way I could dodge that quickly. I even made a few attempts just to see the left-right dodge speeds but it was no where near that speed that you had. Well done man and good luck getting the platinum. 

The best I got twice was 11 balloons untouched which game me a time of 0.03.00. You need a minimum of 12 balloons and under 36 seconds, or 13 balloons. But I'm done with it. Only reason I keep posting is because you guys are awesome as f**k lol. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Nah mate. All Tidus ended up being good for was the Don Tonberry farming, as I had previously killed the most amount of monsters with him. My team for wrecking the rest was Wakka, Auron and Yuna. 

I could probably have wrecked Shinya or whatever its called by just using Wakka and Rikku, but got so sick of seeing Tidus be so useless. My own fault mind. 102 tries I last counted at for the balloon race. Never has anything in gaming evaded me for so many attempts. 

Very awesome man. For some reason there is no way I could dodge that quickly. I even made a few attempts just to see the left-right dodge speeds but it was no where near that speed that you had. Well done man and good luck getting the platinum. 

The best I got twice was 11 balloons untouched which game me a time of 0.03.00. You need a minimum of 12 balloons and under 36 seconds, or 13 balloons. But I'm done with it. Only reason I keep posting is because you guys are awesome as f**k lol. 

Thanks man! Trust me, give it a break for however long you want. Come back to it one day in the future with a fresh approach, watch the video that I used to help me where he explains where to be and how many balloons per stage of the race you need to be getting, and one day it'll just click. If it can for me, then it can for anyone. Even if it's the last trophy for the platinum, it'll just give you that extra little bit of motivation to get it! 

Not quite at Zanarkand Ruins yet in my playthrough, so got a long way to go lol

9 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Thanks man! Trust me, give it a break for however long you want. Come back to it one day in the future with a fresh approach, watch the video that I used to help me where he explains where to be and how many balloons per stage of the race you need to be getting, and one day it'll just click. If it can for me, then it can for anyone. Even if it's the last trophy for the platinum, it'll just give you that extra little bit of motivation to get it! 

Not quite at Zanarkand Ruins yet in my playthrough, so got a long way to go lol

Yeah I tried his vid. Where he says go to the left because the birds won't hit you, about 30+ of my attempts followed that tactic until I had to call him on his bullshit. There are around 4-5 different layouts and its only possible on two of them.

5 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Yeah I tried his vid. Where he says go to the left because the birds won't hit you, about 30+ of my attempts followed that tactic until I had to call him on his bullshit. There are around 4-5 different layouts and its only possible on two of them.

Ah right, sorry man. Clearly I got very lucky then!

18 minutes ago, The_Kopite said:

Ah right, sorry man. Clearly I got very lucky then!

Not at all mate. The only luck with this is hoping that the right formation of balloons appears. There is two layouts which start where you can get between 4-5 balloons on that first straight. Its also the only layout where the trainer is slightly slower than you are. 

If you see the layout which has 3-4 balloons on the straight then you will notice how much faster the trainer is on that layout. Basically its piss poor Japanese game design in that they design actual levels to make you fail and rely on RNG to trigger the right track. You had the right track and you gain the skill to complete it. Don't discredit yourself on that mate. 

As I mentioned in a previous post. Every time I play a Japanese game I tell myself it will be the last. And whilst this game is 20 years old, the jap devs still use RNG overkill on almost all jap games. Its f**king lazy and its the reason America and Euro devs have dominated the gaming world since 2007, because Japan is still stuck with those s**t ideas of what makes a challenge in gaming. 

As I also mentioned in another post. There is good RNG and there is bad RNG. This type is bad RNG. 

The only other thing I may try is to have the joypad fully plugged in to the console. I've noticed on some games where timing and rhythm is essential, that wireless has a slight delay from button press to onscreen response.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Not at all mate. The only luck with this is hoping that the right formation of balloons appears. There is two layouts which start where you can get between 4-5 balloons on that first straight. Its also the only layout where the trainer is slightly slower than you are. 

If you see the layout which has 3-4 balloons on the straight then you will notice how much faster the trainer is on that layout. Basically its piss poor Japanese game design in that they design actual levels to make you fail and rely on RNG to trigger the right track. You had the right track and you gain the skill to complete it. Don't discredit yourself on that mate. 

As I mentioned in a previous post. Every time I play a Japanese game I tell myself it will be the last. And whilst this game is 20 years old, the jap devs still use RNG overkill on almost all jap games. Its f**king lazy and its the reason America and Euro devs have dominated the gaming world since 2007, because Japan is still stuck with those s**t ideas of what makes a challenge in gaming. 

As I also mentioned in another post. There is good RNG and there is bad RNG. This type is bad RNG. 

The only other thing I may try is to have the joypad fully plugged in to the console. I've noticed on some games where timing and rhythm is essential, that wireless has a slight delay from button press to onscreen response.  

I never realised how many layouts there were, I always thought it was just randomised every time, and just tried to split up the balloons I had to get into 3 sections and tried to get 4 for each as a minimum.Of course RNG is another conversation entirely lol 

11 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

I never realised how many layouts there were, I always thought it was just randomised every time, and just tried to split up the balloons I had to get into 3 sections and tried to get 4 for each as a minimum.Of course RNG is another conversation entirely lol 

Check this vid and the guy explains the start perfectly. I know you've done it already but check it out and you see difference not only in the balloon pattern but also the trainer speeds.

Final Fantasy X Catcher Chocobo Race Tutorial 0.0 - YouTube

The guy who made that is a proper gent and went out of his way to help me, but like a blindfolded badger in a chicken coup, I'm a lost cause.... who's now starving for some chicken *slurp*

In terms of the monster farming. As much as I had s**t luck with Earth Eater, the fight was no where near as tedious as Jumbo Flan. Its not a tough fight, but its overly long and drawn out for just 2 magic spheres. 

13 minutes ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Check this vid and the guy explains the start perfectly. I know you've done it already but check it out and you see difference not only in the balloon pattern but also the trainer speeds.

Final Fantasy X Catcher Chocobo Race Tutorial 0.0 - YouTube

The guy who made that is a proper gent and went out of his way to help me, but like a blindfolded badger in a chicken coup, I'm a lost cause.... who's now starving for some chicken *slurp*

In terms of the monster farming. As much as I had s**t luck with Earth Eater, the fight was no where near as tedious as Jumbo Flan. Its not a tough fight, but its overly long and drawn out for just 2 magic spheres. 

Very in depth video, kudos to him for making that. I'm not looking forward to the farming for spheres myself either. Sounds like it'll be a joyous experience......

2 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Very in depth video, kudos to him for making that. I'm not looking forward to the farming for spheres myself either. Sounds like it'll be a joyous experience......

If I'm honest mate I'm a bit of a gobshite when it comes to this game. 

What I will say is that its worth watching some vids on the monsters as you will deal with things a hell of a lot quicker than what I did. Also looks into the best ways to go around the grid. I just wanted to get some progress done after having such a s**t time with the balloon race, so I went about unlocking all the spheres which are already on the grid, then I looked at unlocking stat spheres. What I probably would have done in hindsight is move all members to one corner when you're about to do the Don Tenberry ap farming, then have a lead character who will navigate through the grid and then when you come to a blank sphere thats when you would fight the corresponding monster for the stat sphere you want to unlock. 

Either this page or the last I put what you need which I Found online but here it is again....

20 Strength Sphere (Juggernaut)
30 Defense Sphere (Tanket)
27 Magic Sphere (Jumbo Flan)
32 Magic defense Sphere (One Eye)
55 Luck Sphere (Greater Sphere)
448?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Fortune Sphere (Earth Eater)

So if you need 20 strength spheres from Juggernaught and all goes to plan, then you need to fight him 10 times as each overload kill nets you 2 stat spheres. Its also probably best just farming the fiends until you have 10 captures of each fiend in the game. With each fiend set you get awesome gifts from the monster guy, at some point he gives you 99 dark matter. Use that on something like ribbon for one of your characters, as sometimes you will fight monsters for stat spheres but end up getting dark matter, but if you don't spend the 99 then the 2 you get go to waste as items don't go over 99. 

• Like 1

So I had a s**t day at work, a s**t day travelling home, I thought I might as well and go and completely f**k it up by having a go at the balloon race. 

4 races on the trot it gives me the race where it starts with 3 balloons, that time wasted. Then on the fourth attempt it gives me 5 at the start. The run was going awesome, not a single touch and got loads of balloons. Then right near the end where you hit the dip, I have 4 balloons in front of me, and each and every single one I was lined up for the bird moved out of the way when I wanted it to go straight. 

Clean run - 11 balloons collected. Done in under 36 seconds and I got 01.05 for the time. Just one of those f**king balloons would have nailed it for me but this cooked piece of s**t f**ked me over again. Had a few more goes but just the crap starts. 113 attempts so far. 3 clean runs. What truly makes it worse is the lazy dev b**tards never put in a restart feature, so you have to keep getting to the end all the f**king time. 

9 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

If I'm honest mate I'm a bit of a gobshite when it comes to this game. 

What I will say is that its worth watching some vids on the monsters as you will deal with things a hell of a lot quicker than what I did. Also looks into the best ways to go around the grid. I just wanted to get some progress done after having such a s**t time with the balloon race, so I went about unlocking all the spheres which are already on the grid, then I looked at unlocking stat spheres. What I probably would have done in hindsight is move all members to one corner when you're about to do the Don Tenberry ap farming, then have a lead character who will navigate through the grid and then when you come to a blank sphere thats when you would fight the corresponding monster for the stat sphere you want to unlock. 

Either this page or the last I put what you need which I Found online but here it is again....

20 Strength Sphere (Juggernaut)
30 Defense Sphere (Tanket)
27 Magic Sphere (Jumbo Flan)
32 Magic defense Sphere (One Eye)
55 Luck Sphere (Greater Sphere)
448?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Fortune Sphere (Earth Eater)

So if you need 20 strength spheres from Juggernaught and all goes to plan, then you need to fight him 10 times as each overload kill nets you 2 stat spheres. Its also probably best just farming the fiends until you have 10 captures of each fiend in the game. With each fiend set you get awesome gifts from the monster guy, at some point he gives you 99 dark matter. Use that on something like ribbon for one of your characters, as sometimes you will fight monsters for stat spheres but end up getting dark matter, but if you don't spend the 99 then the 2 you get go to waste as items don't go over 99. 

Yeah I have been trying to get 10 fiends in every area since I first got the capture weapons in the calm lands. I'm doing pretty well with it so far so yeah think I'll carry on doing that once I've got the airship. I've got the trophy guide on this website loaded up for some other trophies which includes the don tonberry trick info. AS I've read you mention previously, you need to fight Earth Eater a lot of times for the respective Fortune spheres there....

Yeah I have been trying to get 10 fiends in every area since I first got the capture weapons in the calm lands. I'm doing pretty well with it so far so yeah think I'll carry on doing that once I've got the airship. I've got the trophy guide on this website loaded up for some other trophies which includes the don tonberry trick info. AS I've read you mention previously, you need to fight Earth Eater a lot of times for the respective Fortune spheres there....

Looking over the net, the majority say ( as well as a few in this thread) that you don't need 255 stat for luck. 85-90 will be fine. So when you beat all but one of the monster creations, you get 10 master spheres. These unlock any node. I used them on Yuna's luck nodes that are already on the grid and it puts you at 51 luck. People also say you only need luck for Yuna and for everyone else just build up the other stats like accuracy and evasion. Agility is recommend to be at 180 but the monster you have to fight to get the agility fears is a total pain. Its tougher than Nemesis or all the other original monsters. 

Desperate now so trying to source as much info on the balloon race that I can. Then I cam across new info. Basically they mention that losing on purpose triggers not only better balloon spawns, but also causes two birds to go after the trainer and only two after the player. After multiple attempts this morning I can confirm that this theory is total turd. I lost with a minute+ three times in a row, then it spawned the three balloon start as well as causing the trainer to be faster. Lost again, same. 

But Mr. Dave I hear you respond is awesome sympathy. Didn't you go ultra ginger and refuse to play the game again for a while? Why yes I did my ultra awesome folk, but then I realised this is the only game I have to f**king play on. .

EDIT

Had one last trick up my sleeve. I try not to use it as it burns me out and leaves me in a state of blankness for a few days. But I had no choice. This f**king balloon race was f**king me right off. So having one hour before having to go to work I decided to unleash my own personal special move....

FULL-ON NEON-GINGE!!!!!!!

Anyway needless to say I was expressionless but had 100% success. Finished the race in 35.9 and got 12 balloons. The 0.00.0 trophy popped, then out of sheer fear the trainer also gave me the sigil. I went and got it and then got the all celest weapons trophy. Normally I would have been over the moon with my accomplishment, but whilst in FULL-ON MOTHER F**KING NEON GINGE....................GYAHAHAHAHAHAHA! is still activated I'm just in a state of 'meh... that wasn't so tough' kind of mood. 

Oh well. Best get ready for work. 

Meh!

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Looking over the net, the majority say ( as well as a few in this thread) that you don't need 255 stat for luck. 85-90 will be fine. So when you beat all but one of the monster creations, you get 10 master spheres. These unlock any node. I used them on Yuna's luck nodes that are already on the grid and it puts you at 51 luck. People also say you only need luck for Yuna and for everyone else just build up the other stats like accuracy and evasion. Agility is recommend to be at 180 but the monster you have to fight to get the agility fears is a total pain. Its tougher than Nemesis or all the other original monsters. 

Desperate now so trying to source as much info on the balloon race that I can. Then I cam across new info. Basically they mention that losing on purpose triggers not only better balloon spawns, but also causes two birds to go after the trainer and only two after the player. After multiple attempts this morning I can confirm that this theory is total turd. I lost with a minute+ three times in a row, then it spawned the three balloon start as well as causing the trainer to be faster. Lost again, same. 

But Mr. Dave I hear you respond is awesome sympathy. Didn't you go ultra ginger and refuse to play the game again for a while? Why yes I did my ultra awesome folk, but then I realised this is the only game I have to f**king play on. .

EDIT

Had one last trick up my sleeve. I try not to use it as it burns me out and leaves me in a state of blankness for a few days. But I had no choice. This f**king balloon race was f**king me right off. So having one hour before having to go to work I decided to unleash my own personal special move....

FULL-ON NEON-GINGE!!!!!!!

Anyway needless to say I was expressionless but had 100% success. Finished the race in 35.9 and got 12 balloons. The 0.00.0 trophy popped, then out of sheer fear the trainer also gave me the sigil. I went and got it and then got the all celest weapons trophy. Normally I would have been over the moon with my accomplishment, but whilst in FULL-ON MOTHER F**KING NEON GINGE....................GYAHAHAHAHAHAHA! is still activated I'm just in a state of 'meh... that wasn't so tough' kind of mood. 

Oh well. Best get ready for work. 

Meh!

Okay, this thread is even better for all the useful info I'm getting that you have received and can now share with others, so thanks for all that! The lower the stat amounts I have to get for certain characters the better, as long as I can survive and Yojimbo everyone! I'm assuming in regards to the ability spheres is Penance? 

HAHA there you go! Knew you would do it eventually! You just had to unleash your true chocobo rider power lol 

To be fair, having FFX as your one and only game to play is not a bad thing, but then FF isw my fave game series of all time, so I'm just a lil bit biased lol

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Okay, this thread is even better for all the useful info I'm getting that you have received and can now share with others, so thanks for all that! The lower the stat amounts I have to get for certain characters the better, as long as I can survive and Yojimbo everyone! I'm assuming in regards to the ability spheres is Penance? 

Something else which will be useful to you....

You will notice the level 4 locked nodes. Now you will pick up the odd one or two through playing normally, but the rest you get from monster fights. At first people suggest bringing the chimera brain 196K. Now this can get you 1 or 2 level 4 spheres but I would hold out. Basically when you have 10 of every fiend and all monster creations have been made, you then have to beat them to unlock the very final monster which is Nemesis. Now aside from getting a trophy for that fight you can also steal level 4 nodes from him. It cost 25K to start the fight so even if you only got 1 steal and then flee, it would cost 200K to get L4 nodes. 

Also don't worry about the fight costs when in the monster battles. With all the farming you will be doing you will not only get awesome stuff, you will also get a tonne of stuff to sell so your gil will always be up instead of down. 

With the game having only 34 trophies, its a shame they never added a few more to do with the monster battles seeing as you spend most of your game time there. 

And when it comes to Yojimbo. There is a formula to him. Don't think you have to spend hundreds of thousands for him to Zamata. Instead you can do it for as little as 101gil when you check some vids. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 1

Something else which will be useful to you....

You will notice the level 4 locked nodes. Now you will pick up the odd one or two through playing normally, but the rest you get from monster fights. At first people suggest bringing the chimera brain 196K. Now this can get you 1 or 2 level 4 spheres but I would hold out. Basically when you have 10 of every fiend and all monster creations have been made, you then have to beat them to unlock the very final monster which is Nemesis. Now aside from getting a trophy for that fight you can also steal level 4 nodes from him. It cost 25K to start the fight so even if you only got 1 steal and then flee, it would cost 200K to get L4 nodes. 

Also don't worry about the fight costs when in the monster battles. With all the farming you will be doing you will not only get awesome stuff, you will also get a tonne of stuff to sell so your gil will always be up instead of down. 

With the game having only 34 trophies, its a shame they never added a few more to do with the monster battles seeing as you spend most of your game time there. 

And when it comes to Yojimbo. There is a formula to him. Don't think you have to spend hundreds of thousands for him to Zamata. Instead you can do it for as little as 101gil when you check some vids. 

I didn't know that about Nemesis and the Level 4 key spheres. I had read other people recommend bribing Chimera Brain as you have said, so that Nemesis trick would be far more useful, thanks!

Yeah I had read about Yojimbo and his Zanmato. I remember stumbling upon that cavern the first time I played it when it came out on the PS2, but I didn't understand how the whole paying gil part would affect his use of that. At the moment I'm locked into paying him 5000gil every time and I'm getting Zanmato a reasonable majority of the time, so I'll probs stuck with that a little while longer until I can try bring the cost down if it's doable. Though to be fair, if I'm gonna be naking lots of gil from selling weapons etc in the future from these monster battles, then paying Yojimbo 5000gil a time ain't gonna be a big deal lol

I didn't know that about Nemesis and the Level 4 key spheres. I had read other people recommend bribing Chimera Brain as you have said, so that Nemesis trick would be far more useful, thanks!

Yeah I had read about Yojimbo and his Zanmato. I remember stumbling upon that cavern the first time I played it when it came out on the PS2, but I didn't understand how the whole paying gil part would affect his use of that. At the moment I'm locked into paying him 5000gil every time and I'm getting Zanmato a reasonable majority of the time, so I'll probs stuck with that a little while longer until I can try bring the cost down if it's doable. Though to be fair, if I'm gonna be naking lots of gil from selling weapons etc in the future from these monster battles, then paying Yojimbo 5000gil a time ain't gonna be a big deal lol

Indeed.

Depending on what monster you will be farming for spheres, you can make anything from 300K to 750K depending on what weapons they give you at the end of each fight. I just beat Nemesis and that gave me a cool weapon for Kimi. Seeing as I won't be able/refuse to do the butterflies to upgrade his celest weapon, Nemesis just gave me a Kimi weapon with damage limit break on it. 

For some bigger boss monsters its also worth using Rikku with her overdrive mixes. When fighting Nemesis I used her hyper mighty G mix which is a chocobo wing and a gamblers spirit. It ups some stats and prevention's but also casts auto-life. Its not that tough of a fight either but use your aeons as blockers when its his turn. 

I've still got that race at the temple to do but on my days off I think I will go back to grid grinding. 

6 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Indeed.

Depending on what monster you will be farming for spheres, you can make anything from 300K to 750K depending on what weapons they give you at the end of each fight. I just beat Nemesis and that gave me a cool weapon for Kimi. Seeing as I won't be able/refuse to do the butterflies to upgrade his celest weapon, Nemesis just gave me a Kimi weapon with damage limit break on it. 

For some bigger boss monsters its also worth using Rikku with her overdrive mixes. When fighting Nemesis I used her hyper mighty G mix which is a chocobo wing and a gamblers spirit. It ups some stats and prevention's but also casts auto-life. Its not that tough of a fight either but use your aeons as blockers when its his turn. 

I've still got that race at the temple to do but on my days off I think I will go back to grid grinding. 

Wow, yeah 5000gil to Yojimbo every time will be small change if I can earn that much gil per battle! 

I haven't attempted the butterfly race yet (due to reading that you are supposed to do it after you get the airship) and the lightning dodge x 200 either (due to needing no encounter weapon, though I do have a no encounter piece of armour for Rikku I think.....either way I need that airship first! lol) Not looking forward to those 2 minigames!

Thanks for the tip about Rikku, her Al Bhed Potion in non overdrive mode is always a winner with me.

A trick to help you out with the chocobo race at the temple that I came across - If you are not bothered about the prize item you would recieve for getting all 5 chests and beating the other chocobo, then you can do as I did and cut the corners as much as possible even if you hit the posts, as the trophy will still ping. I thought I'd just give it a try as I'd got all the other items from the various amounts of chests opened, and noticed in the trophy description it didn't say anything about not hitting the posts, and it worked, so it definitely helped me out!

Edited by The_Kopite
Extra info added

6 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Wow, yeah 5000gil to Yojimbo every time will be small change if I can earn that much gil per battle! 

I haven't attempted the butterfly race yet (due to reading that you are supposed to do it after you get the airship) and the lightning dodge x 200 either (due to needing no encounter weapon, though I do have a no encounter piece of armour for Rikku I think.....either way I need that airship first! lol) Not looking forward to those 2 minigames!

Thanks for the tip about Rikku, her Al Bhed Potion in non overdrive mode is always a winner with me.

A trick to help you out with the chocobo race at the temple that I came across - If you are not bothered about the prize item you would recieve for getting all 5 chests and beating the other chocobo, then you can do as I did and cut the corners as much as possible even if you hit the posts, as the trophy will still ping. I thought I'd just give it a try as I'd got all the other items from the various amounts of chests opened, and noticed in the trophy description it didn't say anything about not hitting the posts, and it worked, so it definitely helped me out!

Not per battle, per farm. 

So if you look at strength for example. You need to fight Juggernaught 10 times to get the 20 strength nodes. Now lets say he costs 6k to fight and you have to fight him 10 times then thats gonna cost you 60k. But once you get all 20 spheres, just go to the merchant and sell him all your weapons that you won. You will easilyt make your money back and mostly likely double it. Then the tougher monsters you get given weapons that you can sell for 150k+ sometimes. Either way you won't be short. 

Cheers for the race tip. Will try it tomorrow. 

Not per battle, per farm. 

So if you look at strength for example. You need to fight Juggernaught 10 times to get the 20 strength nodes. Now lets say he costs 6k to fight and you have to fight him 10 times then thats gonna cost you 60k. But once you get all 20 spheres, just go to the merchant and sell him all your weapons that you won. You will easilyt make your money back and mostly likely double it. Then the tougher monsters you get given weapons that you can sell for 150k+ sometimes. Either way you won't be short. 

Cheers for the race tip. Will try it tomorrow. 

Ah ok, cheers. Nice to know I will be up in gil rather than down, that would make the game even harder!

No worries, hope it helps!

On 10/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, The_Kopite said:

Ah ok, cheers. Nice to know I will be up in gil rather than down, that would make the game even harder!

No worries, hope it helps!

Also if you're wondering why farming luck is a pain in the arse, its because its so much slower than all the others. 

So for example. Lets say you beat judernauht 10 times. This will give you 20 strength spheres and which means you need something like 140 power spheres. Now what you would do is farm Kottos and use the extract power skill. This would then give you 40 power spheres at the end of the fight and eventually you can beat him with around 7 hits at full 99999 (don't worry about this as 99999 hits will come easy with a few break damage celest weapons). So you would farm Kottos to 99 in 3 fights and then 1 more fight. 

With The luck stuff though its a chore. First you need the luck nodes so you will fight the greater sphere monster. Now this is why its boring because his attack is the crush move or ultima as a counter attack. The quickest way to beat him (and its still f**king slow) is to upgrade Anima with protect, regen, haste and curaga. From there you will anima hit him for 99k, he retaliates with ultima and its a slow slog from there. Now and then when he does the press move just use curaga. Its hard to die once you have this tactic down, its just boring is all. 

Now once you have however many luck nodes you want, you then need the fortune spheres from Earth Eater. 

At first it might seem like a chore but everything feels like light speed once you've been fighting the greater sphere monster. Quickest way I have found is to have Auron, Tidus and Wakka. Start the fight with Auron's final overdrive (Tornado) and you knock Earth Eater on its arse once you do over 100k damage. From there you can use Wakka's attack reels or tidus overdrive and for the rest you just want to use quick hit attack. I think it takes like 15 hits at 99999 to get the overkill on EE. Then when you win you should hopefully get 2 fortune spheres. Dog s**t but its the only way. And why its probably best to only have luck at 100 or so rather than 255 like the rest of the stats. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveMcDamage said:

Also if you're wondering why farming luck is a pain in the arse, its because its so much slower than all the others. 

So for example. Lets say you beat judernauht 10 times. This will give you 20 strength spheres and which means you need something like 140 power spheres. Now what you would do is farm Kottos and use the extract power skill. This would then give you 40 power spheres at the end of the fight and eventually you can beat him with around 7 hits at full 99999 (don't worry about this as 99999 hits will come easy with a few break damage celest weapons). So you would farm Kottos to 99 in 3 fights and then 1 more fight. 

With The luck stuff though its a chore. First you need the luck nodes so you will fight the greater sphere monster. Now this is why its boring because his attack is the crush move or ultima as a counter attack. The quickest way to beat him (and its still f**king slow) is to upgrade Anima with protect, regen, haste and curaga. From there you will anima hit him for 99k, he retaliates with ultima and its a slow slog from there. Now and then when he does the press move just use curaga. Its hard to die once you have this tactic down, its just boring is all. 

Now once you have however many luck nodes you want, you then need the fortune spheres from Earth Eater. 

At first it might seem like a chore but everything feels like light speed once you've been fighting the greater sphere monster. Quickest way I have found is to have Auron, Tidus and Wakka. Start the fight with Auron's final overdrive (Tornado) and you knock Earth Eater on its arse once you do over 100k damage. From there you can use Wakka's attack reels or tidus overdrive and for the rest you just want to use quick hit attack. I think it takes like 15 hits at 99999 to get the overkill on EE. Then when you win you should hopefully get 2 fortune spheres. Dog s**t but its the only way. And why its probably best to only have luck at 100 or so rather than 255 like the rest of the stats. 

Geez, sounds like lots of fun........lol 

Thanks for all the tips, yeah I agree if that's the best strategy to get luck spheres, then gettng enough to take the luck stat to 255 would be potentially mind numbingly boring and long. You have to have a good enough luck stat though in order to hit the dark aeons as I've read so there's a balance that needs to be found there. All really useful info for when I get to that stage of the game. 

20 hours ago, The_Kopite said:

Geez, sounds like lots of fun........lol 

Thanks for all the tips, yeah I agree if that's the best strategy to get luck spheres, then gettng enough to take the luck stat to 255 would be potentially mind numbingly boring and long. You have to have a good enough luck stat though in order to hit the dark aeons as I've read so there's a balance that needs to be found there. All really useful info for when I get to that stage of the game. 

Well you have people saying Yuna having 95 luck is enough, then others say 115. I think the guys who go for the 255 are only doing so just to fill out those stats. Its like having 99999 health. I doubt you would ever need that and the bosses that take a lot off you are usually the ones that will kill you outright no matter if you have 9 health or 99999. 

But the grid filling does actually become ok, luck spheres aside. When people say they loved the game so much I couldn't understand it. From a story perspective its great up until you get the airship and then you have to take a huge break from the main game to stat build at the monster grounds. But thats when it dawned on me. Its the stat filling that people enjoy. It itself is a sort of game if you will. How fast can you farm, what loot will you get etc etc. And then once all thats done then you can finish the story. 

In terms of the way the game is structured its a f**king mess if you're playing for the 100% completion. But if you weren't tossed by the max stats or trophies, then a story playthrough would still be awesome on its own. 

EDIT

Also. Forget to mention. 

Now that you have the no encounter item for Rikku, you can indeed go ahead and go for the 200 thunder dodges. As long as she is wearing it and in the first team you can do it hassle free. What I would recommend is bursts of 25 until you reach 100 with a rest and focus break, then once you gut 100 do them in bursts of 10. More breaks but counting 10 at a time seems to make it fly by. Its not as horrible as people make out, its just extremely f**king tedious, though nothing compared to the skipping game in FFVX from what I hear. 

EDIT EDIT

Ignore my battle info for Greater Sphere. Instead what is miles quicker is to have Rikku, Tidus and Wakka in the first team. Have Rikku cast mighty g to grant auto life to all, then use cheer 5 times. After that you basically want to be able to use Wakka and Tidus's overdrive and getting as many hits as possible with Wakka. If you can get the best overdrives then this battle is over in a couple of minutes. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage