My fear for the PS4

willmill97

Let me just say, I probably won't get the PS4 for about a year after release.

Meaning I will still be trophy hunting on my PS3 for a while. I'm getting sort of worried, because as I start a game with online trophies, is there going to be anyone online to play with? How empty are the servers really going to be, now that everyone has gone to PS4? Will I have to result to only playing offline games or what?

How do you all feel about this?

Meaning I will still be trophy hunting on my PS3 for a while. I'm getting sort of worried, because as I start a game with online trophies, is there going to be anyone online to play with? How empty are the servers really going to be, now that everyone has gone to PS4? Will I have to result to only playing offline games or what?

Of course not, not everyone can afford these new consoles at launch and not all of us who are getting a PS4 at launch are going to instantly stop using our PS3s.  I'll still be playing my PS3 as long as my backlog and when FFXIII Lightning Returns comes out.. It was still a few years into PS3's lifespan when majority of people finally decided they'll upgrade so I don't think you should have too many worries about this.

Edited by TakahashiDemon

I will be getting a PS4 eventually, most likely when there is a price drop. It all depends on what games are released in the first few months. As for having no one to play with for online trophies I don't think you will have much to worry about. When the PS3 was released there was still a thriving PS2 community out there for quite some time. Therefore, I believe the same will hold true for the PS4 launch.

Lots of people will still play PS3 after the PS4 is out. It's always like this. People still play Diablo 2 on the PC, which is a game from 2000, and Final Fantasy XI an MMO from 2002, even though FFXIV already came out (and realm reborn is coming out soon). 

There will always be someone playing games online. And I doubt the PS3 online games will stop being active any time soon.

i will be getting the PS4 on release day but that won''t stop me from playing my PS3.  I still have a full library of games that im keeping and playing...

on another subject... if the servers go down that only means you can't get the online trophies... that doesn't mean that the game is unplayable... the best game is the game you would play without trophies and still love it... Im not hating on trophy hunting because i trophy hunt on the games i enjoy... but if the servers go down and it makes me not play the core game that just means the game wasn't good enough without the trophy factor.

but thats just the way i see it... some people enjoy the trophy hunting more than the game itself and im not saying that is wrong because they are doing what they enjoy... but i come from the generation that played games for game's sake.

you're not there's two and yeah I'll still play my ps3 as long as I still have vesperia for it and I won't get a ps4 until I see KH3 or FFV released in the US 

Yeah... those are almost the only games im interested in for the PS4 atm also FFXIV ARR though I will have that already for PC and PS3.

People will still play the ps3 online, its just that it will be only in games with already big communities. Games that have maybe 1 to 2 people playing it non stop will probably dissapear.

I wouldn't expect a massive change in people until around late 2014, as people will most likely buy it during black friday/ boxing day or for the holidays, and because more games will be out. I'll still be on here, though I would like to download that drive club for free on plus!

Don't worry. I'm not going to buy a PS4 (yet) because is to expensive right now for me and I'm already lucky that I have a PS3. But PS3 will be with tons of players for a few years, I think there aren't many games to make people let PS3 forever. But also the PS4 allows the user to use PSone, PS2, PS3 and PS4 disks so even if they go to PS4 the PS3 games on disk can be played on PS4

Well, if trophies are a concern, you should research how active the mp is before playing the game. If you don't want an incomplete game on your list, maybe make a sub-account?

I say that mp community will decrease to around 80% of it's actual number when the PS4 comes out.

I don't understand this fear that everyone will just get rid of their PS3 when the PS4 is released. I know I'll be keeping, and heavily playing, mine for the foreseeable future. I'm sure I'll be playing my backlog on it more that I'll be playing the PS4 for the first few months. 

Another thing people should note is, that if companies keep releasing online games, the old servers are the one most likely to be shut down.

I'm not trying to be pesimist bust you have to keep that in mind when working on mp trophies, Thats why I do the older games first and move towards the new ones.

• Like 1