Can anyone give me any tips?

Radford999

I played the hell out of Fifa 18. I wasn’t the best player but i wasn’t the worst either. I reached division 2 in seasons which i think is pretty good. I skipped Fifa 19 but i’m back on it with Fifa 20! But my god i am so trash at this game lol. The pace is alot slower and i guess i just haven’t got used to it yet. The pace is far too slow as to what i’m used to. It seems whenever i get the ball in the final third i don’t know what to do with it. And defending, oh my. Sometimes i concede the most pathetic of goals lol. They can just walk through my defence. 

I have been playing ultimate team and that’s the mode i have been concentrating on. I did get lucky with a free pack from a squad building challenge and managed to get Leroy Sane so i sold him and built my team from the coins i made. I play a 4-1-2-1-2 and this is my team:

Pickford GK

Robertson LB

Stones CB

Laporte CB

Walker RB

Fernandinho CDM

Dele Alli CM

Rodri CM

David Silva CAM

Vardy ST

Gabriel Jesus ST

And yes it is full of man city players lol. How is it for balance? You could tell me to change formation and it wouldn’t make any difference because i’m terrible lol. 

Has anyone got any tips for attacking, defending, formations etc. Are there any good videos on youtube to watch for getting better because i really am trash lol.

I’m not knocking Fifa 20 i love it. I just haven’t got used to it and need a few fundamental tips as i skipped 19 and not got back in the groove yet. Thanks!

All i can say is that this game is hard, really hard. I've played a lot of FIFA, and I was good at 17-18-19. I managed to get from division 10 to division 1 and win the league in 1 day for the trophy in one of those editions. However Passing feels so random this game and defence is quite hard. All I can say is take a good look at the squad custom tactics. I like to run with wingers and atleast 1 CDM. I let my LB and RB stay behind, have my wingers on cut behind lines, striker/s on cut behind lines and de CDM on stay back and stay in the center.

For the rest all i can say is really take your time. On attack sometimes just stop moving, it will help cause the defenders are doing weird stuff anyway.

Ok thanks 

23 hours ago, IGUnique said:

All i can say is that this game is hard, really hard. I've played a lot of FIFA, and I was good at 17-18-19. I managed to get from division 10 to division 1 and win the league in 1 day for the trophy in one of those editions. However Passing feels so random this game and defence is quite hard. All I can say is take a good look at the squad custom tactics. I like to run with wingers and atleast 1 CDM. I let my LB and RB stay behind, have my wingers on cut behind lines, striker/s on cut behind lines and de CDM on stay back and stay in the center.

For the rest all i can say is really take your time. On attack sometimes just stop moving, it will help cause the defenders are doing weird stuff anyway.

Ok thanks for the reply. 

Been playing a bit more these past few days and i’m still absolutely awful. It’s frightening how bad i am lol. I honestly don’t get it. I was never this bad at Fifa. I’ve got a decent team on ultimate team too. I mean how hard is defending? The opposition just seems to walk past my defence. And when i’m in the final third i just don’t know what to do. There isn’t any space. No one makes runs i just don’t get it. 

I started in division 6 in fut rivals and i’ve dropped all the way down to division 9. I’ve gone from 950 points to 145. I must have played around 20 matches and lost like 17 of them. I even lost against a full bronze team which is kinda embarrassing as my team is full gold and has an 86 rating lol. 

Oh well. I must be doing something drastically wrong. I was decent at Fifa 18 :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radford999 said:

Ok thanks 

Ok thanks for the reply. 

Been playing a bit more these past few days and i’m still absolutely awful. It’s frightening how bad i am lol. I honestly don’t get it. I was never this bad at Fifa. I’ve got a decent team on ultimate team too. I mean how hard is defending? The opposition just seems to walk past my defence. And when i’m in the final third i just don’t know what to do. There isn’t any space. No one makes runs i just don’t get it. 

I started in division 6 in fut rivals and i’ve dropped all the way down to division 9. I’ve gone from 950 points to 145. I must have played around 20 matches and lost like 17 of them. I even lost against a full bronze team which is kinda embarrassing as my team is full gold and has an 86 rating lol. 

Oh well. I must be doing something drastically wrong. I was decent at Fifa 18 :(

Holy crap man. There's no business for you to be losing like that.

Here are some of my recommendations as somebody who started at 990 and is up to 1185 right now, will take a few days off this weekend but be back next week and think I may be able to clinch it then as some fo the better players will have moved up.

* AI defense as of right now, will not stop their attacker. Use R2+L2 jockey with a defensive midfielder to cover. Cut passing lanes, etc... DO NOT RUSH SLIDE TACKLE OR EVEN CIRCLE BUTTON. It's just not effective as of right now.

* Pacey wingers or 2 striker formations with one big lad for bangers and another pacey one to get in behind the defense is recommended. Formations with too many CAMs, not so much.

* Is your trouble scoring? Finesses top of the box are still effective. You can try the low drivens when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Sweating it across is also effective this year if you have men open in the box with good positioning.

* I recommend using drop back since with anything else you're liable to being countered to absolute death in this game. 

Also I recommend watching some YTers like Boraslegend and other FIFA 20 tip videos. You can 100% dig yourself out of this hole. 

6 hours ago, realm722 said:

Holy crap man. There's no business for you to be losing like that.

Here are some of my recommendations as somebody who started at 990 and is up to 1185 right now, will take a few days off this weekend but be back next week and think I may be able to clinch it then as some fo the better players will have moved up.

* AI defense as of right now, will not stop their attacker. Use R2+L2 jockey with a defensive midfielder to cover. Cut passing lanes, etc... DO NOT RUSH SLIDE TACKLE OR EVEN CIRCLE BUTTON. It's just not effective as of right now.

* Pacey wingers or 2 striker formations with one big lad for bangers and another pacey one to get in behind the defense is recommended. Formations with too many CAMs, not so much.

* Is your trouble scoring? Finesses top of the box are still effective. You can try the low drivens when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Sweating it across is also effective this year if you have men open in the box with good positioning.

* I recommend using drop back since with anything else you're liable to being countered to absolute death in this game. 

Also I recommend watching some YTers like Boraslegend and other FIFA 20 tip videos. You can 100% dig yourself out of this hole. 

Ok thanks i will give it a go. And yeah i’m not too worried about this hole i’m in. Got to play 200 matches with one player anyway. And with more practice i can climb back up the divisions :)

Right, so i have been playing this game to death these last few days trying to get better. I have also been watching some youtube videos for tips. And it seems to have worked. I’m back all the way up to 1,004 points now!. It does help however that i have a really really good squad. I think i have the best possible premier league squad. I can defend ALOT better too. No more does my opposition just walk through my defence. The best tip i found was to sprint shimmy and just stay a few feet away from the attacker. Never rush in with a standing tackle. 

There are still aspects of my game that i need to improve though The main one is giving the ball away too much. Lately i have been giving the ball away far too much. Miss placed passes, taking too long on the ball etc. Miss placed passes is the worst one though. 

Another thing i need to improve is my finishing. There have been so many games where i have been the better side but have drawn. I might have close to 20 shots. 12 of them on target but only 1 or 2 goals. I am missing many one on ones too. 

Oh well. At least i’m not all the way down in division 9 now lol. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 7:27 PM, Radford999 said:

Right, so i have been playing this game to death these last few days trying to get better. I have also been watching some youtube videos for tips. And it seems to have worked. I’m back all the way up to 1,004 points now!. It does help however that i have a really really good squad. I think i have the best possible premier league squad. I can defend ALOT better too. No more does my opposition just walk through my defence. The best tip i found was to sprint shimmy and just stay a few feet away from the attacker. Never rush in with a standing tackle. 

There are still aspects of my game that i need to improve though The main one is giving the ball away too much. Lately i have been giving the ball away far too much. Miss placed passes, taking too long on the ball etc. Miss placed passes is the worst one though. 

Another thing i need to improve is my finishing. There have been so many games where i have been the better side but have drawn. I might have close to 20 shots. 12 of them on target but only 1 or 2 goals. I am missing many one on ones too. 

Oh well. At least i’m not all the way down in division 9 now lol. 

Glad to hear that, man. I'm up around 1100 myself now, but only playing a few Rivals games a day to avoid going nuts lol. Finishing near post is usually your best bet from what I've found, unless you're at a 45-degree angle or so to the GK, in which case it's best to go far post. Simply using the O button seems to be better than other options too. One of the big keys for me has been to really force myself to not hold the sprint button down constantly on defense (and to keep the Jockey Assistance setting on Manual). Was sliding by people constantly but you want to do a sort of "go and stop" technique, using the normal jockey when you're right on the man in possession. And yeah totally agree on the passing — I've said "that isn't who I meant to go to" so many times this year, but I think everyone's dealing with it, so I can't complain too much.

Edited by JD-D2

Sounds like you're doing well now congrats, definitely the worst thing you can possibly do in this game is rush out of your defense line with a centre back, it almost never ends well haha. I recommend as using drop back in custom tactics as someone mentioned before, saves you from a few counter attacks, and have your cdm stay back while attacking.

Most of the 4-3-3 formations are really good this year, I use the one with a CAM and 2 CMs. One CDM is stay back and very defensive the other balanced, and I have an agile player Lucas Moura at CAM to pick up the ball and carry forward. The formation is really good at stretching teams, carry the ball up the wing with your left and right backs, and often you can thread your wingers in behind if you take your time and play nice passes, hope all that helps.

I started at 850 or so, and I'm at 1130 now, so shouldn't be much longer before I string some wins together and crack 1250