Mafia 1 Remake & Mafia 2 Remastered Coming (19 May 2020 / 25 September 2020) - Mafia 4 May be Coming

15 hours ago, Golem25 said:

Would definitely replay Mafia and Mafia II via remasters, but I have no interest in ever touching a potential Mafia IV if it is helmed by Hangar 13. In fact, I won't touch anything made by that inept bunch, deary me. Mafia III was even more drab than your average Assassin's Creed (that's saying something), and a complete technical mess at launch. Absolute shambles.

But yes, Mafia and Mafia II, good times.

Mafia III and Watch Dogs 2 both came out at the same time. Watch Dogs 2 is miles better with it's technical performance. It took several months for Hangar 13 to fix a lot of the glaring problems with Mafia III.

The gameplay structure also turned off a lot of people because it is extremely repetitive and you're doing it right up to the very end. The first part of the game is quite linear, it plays like Mafia II did. Then they just throw you into a rinse and repeat routine in taking over the various districts in the city. Just poor game design.

I also had two trophies glitch on me which I ended up having to turn my PS4 offline in order to get them. One of the DLC trophies was never fixed, so you can be screwed if it doesn't pop.

15 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

i hope they get rid of the miles trophy. i tried the glitch and it didnt work so i was doing it legit on and off for a few years. finally one day i tried the glitch again and fell through the map and it worked. turned out the first time i did it i tried it in a spot that looked identical to the glitch spot but it wasnt the right spot lol. nobody really showed exactly where it was. regardless that trophy is dumb. even if you did everything x100 in that game you still wouldnt have the miles needed. i was driving around the city in circles for hours and barely progressing. other then that the game is decent. if its ported id skip it, if they polish up the graphics itd be nice to try again. i know the dlc at some point become delisted or something because of the playboy magazine rights i think, or the music, i cant remember. glad i had it saved. as for mafia 3 i actually loved it.

That one trophy is what's making me hesitant to buy the Mafia II remaster. The DLC had some pretty aggravating trophies that were skill based, which made no sense. Joe's Adventures was definitely the better of the two DLC packs. The first one basically stars a guy with a bald head and sunglasses, wasn't memorable at all. And you HAVE to drive 1000 miles in that DLC pack because any miles racked up in the base game don't count. Completely stupid.

10 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

Few pieces of evidence pointing at the fact the included version of M1 will be a remake:

The first game dates from 2002. The entire game is very outdated, so this will not be a simple remaster. My guess is they used their most recent engine and recreated the whole game.

Secondly: if you look at the scenes from the other two games, they used in-game footage. Take a look at M2's for instance, you can clearly see by the edges of those shadows that the footage was captured in-game. Would make no sense to include pre-rendered footage for M1, and include in-game stuff from the other two games. Not to mention it would come across as very deceitful.

I, for one, am very much hyped about this, especially if they remade the first game with the engine, polish and the amount of detail of Mafia III (no idea whether they applied the M3 engine, or an updated version of that one).

Mark May 19th on your calendars, boys and girls!

I hope they made it more of the style that made Mafia II good. That game has a pretty good storyline that is well maintained as you play through it. If they made the first Mafia with voice acting, graphics that are the equivalent of Mafia II's graphics or better, and has somewhat good gameplay, I'm definitely a buyer.

The first game takes place during the Prohibition era, the Mafia was definitely prominent during that time.

Edited by Spaz

I can't see myself paying $25 for Mafia II remastered. For those who don't own a PS3 and can't get PS Now either because of poor internet or they just don't like the service, Mafia II is basically a must buy for anyone looking to try out the series.

3 hours ago, djb5f said:

This seems to indicate $25 individually or $55 for the trilogy.  Not sure if it is accurate.

This kinda confused me like is mafia definitive edition different than mafia 1 definitive edition? Cause they refer to it as 2 different things it looks like

I still have Mafia the city of lost heaven ps2 disc back from 2002-3 i think LOL

By looking on the pics from the mission "Bon apetit!", the game looks amazing.

I really wonder what trophies will be for the first game, i assume that completing all Luca Bertoni's missions will be there, maybe collecting all rare cars for Ralph the idiot.

Edited by maormaor13
  • Like 1

I was just discussing with my brother how cool it would have been if they made a remake of the first, but thought it would never happen.

To be honest, this is the first thing that brought me true excitement and childish joy for the past 6-7 years... It is refreshing feeling like this again. Hitting 30 this summer, so will be the perfect present.

Edited by ReoJee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

For those who don't own a PS3 and can't get PS Now either because of poor internet or they just don't like the service, Mafia II is basically a must buy for anyone looking to try out the series.

Don't forget about the countries where PS Now is not offered ;)

On topic, though, Mafia I remains one of my best gaming experiences ever (played it when it came out on PC, still remember how I felt when I saw the ending) but I am a bit sceptical about playing a remastered version almost 20 years later - will probably skip it. Mafia II interests me as it came out during my 10 year break from gaming, so I know nothing about it - but it really depends on how well the remastered version is done. And finally, I wonder what they will do with Mafia III (which I really enjoyed), I should still return to it as I got the Season Pass at some point.

Funny that the news came just when I am in the second season of the Sopranos (also rewatching after some 10 years). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, det_gittes said:

Don't forget about the countries where PS Now is not offered ;)

On topic, though, Mafia I remains one of my best gaming experiences ever (played it when it came out on PC, still remember how I felt when I saw the ending) but I am a bit sceptical about playing a remastered version almost 20 years later - will probably skip it. Mafia II interests me as it came out during my 10 year break from gaming, so I know nothing about it - but it really depends on how well the remastered version is done. And finally, I wonder what they will do with Mafia III (which I really enjoyed), I should still return to it as I got the Season Pass at some point.

Funny that the news came just when I am in the second season of the Sopranos (also rewatching after some 10 years). 

Yeah i was a huge fan of the first one. I love the german voices and i'm afraid they have to change some of them. If you skipped mafia 2, you should definitely play it regardless of how big the remaster improvement is. Mafia 2 really honored the mafia franchise and is a fantastic game. Mafia 1 still remains the best tho.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I played the PS2 version last night on a modded ps2 from the hdd at 720p, it's horrible. Truth is the 3rd one bored me and I really only played 2, I did plat it eventually though what stands out the most in these games to me is how little there is to actually do in the cities. It was bad timing to try Mafia after Gta 3 at around the same time, Now in 2020 I can follow the actual story but definitely on PC. Didn't even know it but I have a hard copy of Mafia for OG XB and PS2.

3 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Oh wow, I played the PS2 version last night on a modded ps2 from the hdd at 720p, it's horrible. Truth is the 3rd one bored me and I really only played 2, I did plat it eventually though what stands out the most in these games to me is how little there is to actually do in the cities. It was bad timing to try Mafia after Gta 3 at around the same time, Now in 2020 I can follow the actual story but definitely on PC. Didn't even know it but I have a hard copy of Mafia for OG XB and PS2.

Mafia is still considered one of the best games at that time, it didn't try to compete with gta. GTA3 and Mafia were both innovative. Mafia in storytelling and atmosphere, character development etc, and GTA3 in Sandbox Gameplay. The world only exsists to get you from one point to another. You just ruin your own experience if you try to see it as an open world game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, westersburg said:

Mafia is still considered one of the best games at that time, it didn't try to compete with gta. GTA3 and Mafia were both innovative. Mafia in storytelling and atmosphere, character development etc, and GTA3 in Sandbox Gameplay. The world only exsists to get you from one point to another. You just ruin your own experience if you try to see it as an open world game.

That's what I did, I'll play pc

3 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

That's what I did, I'll play pc

You won't regret it, trust me. Graphics are obviously outdated but the controls are fine to this day and it's still a great experience after all. Just did a full playthrough in december / january

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 9:20 AM, ziggypossum said:

Vavra is a cry-baby, similar case to Sapkowski. Of course he didn't get paid for remasters and nobody asked him anything. He has no licenses/rights. He walked away from the original project the moment he was done with it.

Yeah that reaction is understandable, but give absolutely 0 information about the product.

One thing that i completely ignored, but is very interesting: The product information on the microsoft store mentioned, that you get access to various clothing and weapons from one title in another. For example you get tommy's Colt 1911 in Mafia 2 +3 but more important: You get vitos jacket in Mafia 1 +3. That means we will have customization in Mafia 1, which wasn't featured in the original version. You always had to stick with the suit, the coat and hat or any other outfit, that came with the mission automatically. I'm really curious what they added and might removed in mafia 1 and really hope, that they didn't mess it up.