Mafia 1 Remake & Mafia 2 Remastered Coming (19 May 2020 / 25 September 2020) - Mafia 4 May be Coming

2 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Heard something going to be announced on 12, may be realise date of collection, or Mafia 4 news.

Are you talking about this? https://www.summergamefest.com/#link--schedule-section

May 12, 12P ET / 9A PT

Join Geoff Keighley for a surprise game reveal.

Edited by woggly4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

What was so special about Mafia? Still have the original Xbox version and couldn't last more then 2 hours. I liked the second one so maybe I revisit OG xbox.

Considering what a revolution GTA3 started, Mafia was a very interesting twist on the formula.  A much stronger and more mature narrative, realism appropriate for the era, etc.  It was slower, more structured, and not as flashy or over the top as GTA... but for people into that sort of thing, there just wasn't anything else like it back then.

I'm not sure how the console versions were but the PC version back in the day kinda blew me away.  I'm sure it hasn't aged well, but that's why a remake/remaster is appealing to people.  Or a fourth entry that goes back to what Mafia 1 and 2 did so well.

• Like 2

I never played the first game, but did enjoy the second one, although the Explorer DLC trophy somewhat soured the game's overall fun factor.  I've had Mafia III for a coupe of years but have yet to play it.

Don't think I'll be buying a remastered Mafia II though.  I can only play so many remasters after all, and the more I play, the more I neglect my backlog.  So although I liked Mafia II as I said, it's probably best that I leave that game in the past.

Edited by StewartBros

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Considering what a revolution GTA3 started, Mafia was a very interesting twist on the formula.  A much stronger and more mature narrative, realism appropriate for the era, etc.  It was slower, more structured, and not as flashy or over the top as GTA... but for people into that sort of thing, there just wasn't anything else like it back then.

I'm not sure how the console versions were but the PC version back in the day kinda blew me away.  I'm sure it hasn't aged well, but that's why a remake/remaster is appealing to people.  Or a fourth entry that goes back to what Mafia 1 and 2 did so well.

I'm thinking on getting the steam version of 1. Wonder if you get controller support?

21 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm thinking on getting the steam version of 1. Wonder if you get controller support?

I remember playing the driving sections with a wheel back in the days, but current and last gen weren't released at the time so i don't know if the game supports current devices. You should buy it nevertheless.

On 11.5.2020 at 10:58 AM, kenseizenkai said:

I'm interested in Mafia 1, as long as they are not remastering PS2 version. That version was more or less unplayable.

Yes. I only played the pc version back in the days and win 10 was causing trouble with it, so i decided to buy the ps2 version. (Buyed it on steam afterwars, this version works fine on win10) Big mistake. This version was a mess even though it got released 2 years after the pc version. Didn't play the xbox version but i think it was also inferior to pc. Only nice addition of the ps2 version were the single races, but free ride extreme was missing.

A remake with both modes included and trophy support would actually be my most wanted game of all time, since mafia 1 is my favorite game of all time to this day. I even created a possible trophy list for myself back in the days haha.

A Mafia 2 remaster is awesome but Mafia 1 would be from another world. The story, the characters and the locations are unforgetable. Mafia 1 hasn't aged that well in terms of visuals (released in 2002) but i was surprised how good mafia 2 has aged. I just recently played it on pc on max settings. I guess thats also the reason for not remastering the original mafia. It would have to be a remake since the controls weren't good on consoles and the graphics are completely outdated. In Mafia 2 you could do some little improvements and you have an easy remaster.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

On the PC?  The Steam store page doesn't indicate controller support, and I'd bet that it doesn't support controllers natively (at least it didn't when I played way back when).  Might be able to get something working if you mod the game or run third party software though.

14 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

On the PC?  The Steam store page doesn't indicate controller support, and I'd bet that it doesn't support controllers natively (at least it didn't when I played way back when).  Might be able to get something working if you mod the game or run third party software though.

I had a look at the forums and there is a work around, I do have a modded PS2 and OG Xbox with huge hard drives. I might try the Xb version as my 4k tv does component really well, I might do a Xb vs PC google on this though.

Mafia II had a strong story. Vito had a calm demeanor, Joe was the loudmouth guy who served as a sidekick more or less. The other characters were pretty good.

The side content was lacking. Granted it's a vast improvement over the PS2 era Grand Theft Autos, but even Grand Theft Auto IV on the Xbox 360 had better side content in my opinion. In Mafia II you were mostly stuck with those boring wanted posters, and there's over 100 of them so I had to consort a YouTube guide to find them all. On the flip side you had the Playboy collectibles, probably some of the best collectibles in any open world game I've played.

Very good main story, not so good side content. The DLC in Mafia II was pretty meh, the second DLC pack with Joe was definitely better. They threw in some skill based trophies which make no sense. Worst of all was driving 1000 miles in the first DLC pack. All those miles you racked up in the base game? Doesn't count, so I just used the exploit where you drive through a building and glitch your way through. Was a pain in the ass to get that trophy.

I never played the first Mafia game, but from what I heard it hasn't aged well. Would like to see 2K Games continue with the franchise. I was one of the few who had next to no complaints with Mafia III.

21 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Mafia II had a strong story. Vito had a calm demeanor, Joe was the loudmouth guy who served as a sidekick more or less. The other characters were pretty good.

The side content was lacking. Granted it's a vast improvement over the PS2 era Grand Theft Autos, but even Grand Theft Auto IV on the Xbox 360 had better side content in my opinion. In Mafia II you were mostly stuck with those boring wanted posters, and there's over 100 of them so I had to consort a YouTube guide to find them all. On the flip side you had the Playboy collectibles, probably some of the best collectibles in any open world game I've played.

Very good main story, not so good side content. The DLC in Mafia II was pretty meh, the second DLC pack with Joe was definitely better. They threw in some skill based trophies which make no sense. Worst of all was driving 1000 miles in the first DLC pack. All those miles you racked up in the base game? Doesn't count, so I just used the exploit where you drive through a building and glitch your way through. Was a pain in the ass to get that trophy.

I never played the first Mafia game, but from what I heard it hasn't aged well. Would like to see 2K Games continue with the franchise. I was one of the few who had next to no complaints with Mafia III.

Please don't take it personally but i always got mad when people tried to compare mafia with gta. Mafia doesn't need side missions because the story is way stronger and more straight forward than in gta. Mafia 1 had a seperate mode with fun extra missions but no freeroam activity at all. Mafia 1 is often mentionend as the best of series (despite its outdated graphics). The main game in mafia 2 didn't feature any sidemissions either but you had shops to buy weapons, clothes and a tuning shop. That was completely fine. I guess jimmys vendetta and joes adventure will be included in the remaster so we get a good package of missions. I agree, DLC 1 and 2 (Jimmy's Betrayal and Jimmy's Vendetta) were pretty weak with annoying trophies, but i really loved joes adventures and would like to have a possibility of including this dlc into the main story path without switching modes. Mafia 3 had more side activities and i liked it as a game. Don't agree with people who call it a bad game, but it was definitely a bad mafia installment. It didn't have the same feeling as the first two. Felt more like GTA or a godfather title.

Edited by westersburg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, westersburg said:

Please don't take it personally but i always got mad when people tried to compare mafia with gta. Mafia doesn't need side missions because the story is way stronger and more straight forward than in gta. Mafia 1 had a seperate mode with fun extra missions but no freeroam activity at all. Mafia 1 is often mentionend as the best of series (despite its outdated graphics). The main game in mafia 2 didn't feature any sidemissions either but you had shops to buy weapons, clothes and a tuning shop. That was completely fine. I guess jimmys vendetta and joes adventure will be included in the remaster so we get a good package of missions. I agree, DLC 1 and 2 (Jimmy's Betrayal and Jimmy's Vendetta) were pretty weird with annoying trophies, but i really loved joes adventures and would like to have a possibility of including this dlc into the main story path without switching modes. Mafia 3 had more side activities and i liked it as a game. Don't agree with people who call it a bad game, but it was definitely a bad mafia installment. It didn't have the same feeling as the first two. Felt more like GTA or a godfather title.

GTA is basically a sandbox series from start to finish. Vice City, San Andreas and IV had the best story telling. V's story telling was all over the place. In some missions you're with Franklin and his idiot friend, the next few missions you're playing as Michael trying to cope with his "mid life crisis" while having a lazy son and a dumb beach blonde daughter. Trevor is definitely my favorite of the three playable characters, the story wasn't all that great.

Mafia I like to compare more with LA Noire and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. They all have a strong storyline, but only Shadow of Mordor has side content that goes beyond the boring collectibles and side missions.

Honestly I think Mafia III didn't have much to work with concerning the actual mafia because those old school gangsters were starting to become a thing of the past during the late 1960s. It has a very strong start. Lincoln Clay meets up with his old friends. The clothing, the style, the music, the types of cars and the attitude were all done very accurately and they conveyed the time period. Even going as far as to place "colored" signs in front of stores because that's what happened back then. I read my share of history.

The gameplay in Mafia III suffered. It was basically a cookie cutter formula in that you interrogate a bunch of bad guys, you either kill them or you let them work. Finally you went after the main honcho, you basically end up killing most of them. Then Lincoln joins up with his three companions and distributes who gets what. That was most of the game, and to make matters worse they made you do two seperate playthroughs because you had to kill those guys you interrogate in one playthrough, let them work in another playthrough. It was poor game design on their part.

Mafia II's story was almost like watching a movie unfold, without going into too many preparations. In Mafia III they pad you with a bunch of crap and prerequisites before you even have a chance of taking down one of the main bad guys who has control over a district. I felt they just threw in Vito from Mafia II in there just because, so that we see that Mafia II and Mafia III were somehow related. I don't think we ever knew why he moved from New York City down to New Orleans.

Mafia III's soundtrack was top notch. When you actually got around to the cutscenes and the story they were solid. I think part of the problem was we were used to playing protagonists who were part of the American Mafia (who originated from Italy) so that feeling was definitely there. Then they decided to have you play an African American in a time when African Americans were finally getting their rights and freedoms. Lincoln Clay wasn't a part of the American Mafia to begin with, he was with another set of criminals before he was forced to get help.

Would definitely replay Mafia and Mafia II via remasters, but I have no interest in ever touching a potential Mafia IV if it is helmed by Hangar 13. In fact, I won't touch anything made by that inept bunch, deary me. Mafia III was even more drab than your average Assassin's Creed (that's saying something), and a complete technical mess at launch. Absolute shambles.

But yes, Mafia and Mafia II, good times.

i hope they get rid of the miles trophy. i tried the glitch and it didnt work so i was doing it legit on and off for a few years. finally one day i tried the glitch again and fell through the map and it worked. turned out the first time i did it i tried it in a spot that looked identical to the glitch spot but it wasnt the right spot lol. nobody really showed exactly where it was. regardless that trophy is dumb. even if you did everything x100 in that game you still wouldnt have the miles needed. i was driving around the city in circles for hours and barely progressing. other then that the game is decent. if its ported id skip it, if they polish up the graphics itd be nice to try again. i know the dlc at some point become delisted or something because of the playboy magazine rights i think, or the music, i cant remember. glad i had it saved. as for mafia 3 i actually loved it.

Edited by melodicmizery

cool, i bought mafia 3 complete dlc edition last year, not played it yet was hoping they would do the first two at some point, but alas it's 2k so might be lazy as hell, lets just hope it works. first 2 were great, had them on pc both pushed graphics back in their day, hope they are good.

2 minutes ago, BNAG_Gamer said:

I actually played Mafia on the ps2 in 2018, Its a decent game BUT i think it will need a complete remaster if it going to come to ps4/ps5

Yes. Those games back in the days weren't optimized for a controller. The effort they would have to put into this is clearly higher than releasing mafia 2 on current gen.

Damn, got ninja'd by woggly4 above, but yeah.

Just came by to give you guys the news that I got a press notice (I'm part of the industry) from 2K about 20 minutes ago, announcing the Mafia Trilogy.

Full reveal coming on May 19th. Looks like they really upped the detail on Mafia 2, and considering I'm a fan and Mafia 1 is pretty old at this point, I'm so stoked to see what the new version looks like! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woggly4 said:

First seconds of the video look awesome! I really hope this is not just a prototype-render but actual M1 footage.

Few pieces of evidence pointing at the fact the included version of M1 will be a remake:

The first game dates from 2002. The entire game is very outdated, so this will not be a simple remaster. My guess is they used their most recent engine and recreated the whole game.

Secondly: if you look at the scenes from the other two games, they used in-game footage. Take a look at M2's for instance, you can clearly see by the edges of those shadows that the footage was captured in-game. Would make no sense to include pre-rendered footage for M1, and include in-game stuff from the other two games. Not to mention it would come across as very deceitful.

I, for one, am very much hyped about this, especially if they remade the first game with the engine, polish and the amount of detail of Mafia III (no idea whether they applied the M3 engine, or an updated version of that one).

Mark May 19th on your calendars, boys and girls!

• Like 1