Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MidnightDragon

Infinity Ward asks people to think of developers in wake of Modern Warfare backlash

97 posts in this topic

Until the day kids stop stealing their parents' credit card and adults with more money than sense stop making these practices lucrative to these publishers, then there's not much that'll change. Otherwise every time they choose to include lootboxes in games they'd better nut up and expect some pushback.

14 hours ago, SKyZoX9 said:

Thats not how life work, the gaming is an industry you evaluate risk and peoples job are at risk, also infinity ward was always supported by activision it wasnt a big thing before it lol. You are just seeing your point of view and its white and black like activision is an evil company or something. Sure they are greedy bastards, but they are because of us the consumers who always respond with money. Dont put the shift on infinity ward its BS.

Infinity Ward aren't the ones asking people to feel sorry for them, Infinity Ward aren't sentient, they don't have feelings.

The people working there are the ones asking people to feel sorry for them, and they very much did choose to work at Infinity Ward (and therefore Activision). If they don't like working for them then they're free to leave. Why on earth should I feel sorry for them though? They chose to work there in the first place, they're choosing to stay there and they're getting paid for their efforts too. If they don't like it then they've got nobody to blame but themselves, it isn't consumers' fault or problem.

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Attack the company, don't attack the developers.

So, attack the association of people who are responsible for the game, don't attack the association of people who are responsible for the game 👌 😐

Well, there are plenty of reasons why I boycott Activision, EA and Ubisoft. This pitiful behaviour just corroborates my attitude in this regard.

Just now, panikooooos said:

A company is a legal entity, if I'm the CEO of a company and I use slave labor the company isn't immoral, only individuals can be moral actors, I thought this was common sense? A company is the assortment of people working collectively towards making a product, so when you say attack the company (which you think is harmless), you're actually insulting every single "individual" working in there. Do you think of Activision as an evil fallout villain A.I. or something running on its own 1f606.png?

You aren't following at all. Ridiculous. Keep fighting the good fight brother.

Anger against developers is misplaced. Anger against the shareholders and executives is not misplaced.

The cynic in me believes the bosses (basically the same ♥s which enable lootboxes in the first place) made the internal directive for this statement(s) to be released to the public, as a way of holding people's goodwill as hostage.

edit: the system swapped out c.u.n.t out for a heart. As an Aussie, I am miffed.

Edited by Eraezr

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

You aren't following at all. Ridiculous. Keep fighting the good fight brother.

Awesome counter arguments, "brother", I learned something new today, as long as you're an employee you are absolved from all responsibility! If your boss orders you to steal, kill, then hey guess what, you can do that, individuals can't be criticized remember, only companies, the police will just charge the company with murder and put it in a cell 👋😂. 

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

I made my point, you misinterpreted it completely and continue to in every nonsensical reply you make to me.  I'm not "countering" you.  This isn't an "argument".

All I did was take the position you held and followed it to its logical conclusion with several examples to show you how flawed your argument is but maybe the "don't blame individuals blame the collective" argument is just too deep for a mere mortal like me to comprehend you're right 😏. I'll give you points for originality though last time I heard of this argument it was in the Nuremberg trials 😆, cyaaaa gamer.

I dislike this year-long exclusivity. It means when that year expires and Xbox One/PC players get the content, a new CoD is coming right up. Kurosaki does say it's "complicated decisions that are above our pay grade". If that is truth, I blame Activision and not Infinity Ward. But it does not change how I feel- namely, how a multiplatform game's initial release should be identical in content among all platforms. Fans have a right to complain, but they need to stay civil.

Loot boxes? You shouldn't have to pray to the almighty RNG for That One Weapon. Buying it outright as a known DLC wouldn't be nearly as bad. For the 5 billionth time, I would like that sort of thing to stop.

It's good that PS4 and Xbox One players can use KBM control. I hope more console FPS do that.

This kinda reminds me of the  freeloaders guy fighting the "good fight" while also posting his collection of costly cars on that shitty Reddit site.  Honestly though, it kinda has become so tiring, I see people who mean good but at the same time I see so many inorganic names like gamers( god I wish people would stop using that word, when it became common, 2014?), shareholders (I'm a shareholder technically, and I find baffling how people think they have more faults than devs.) Microtransactions, lootboxes and now the fucking  survival mode on this game,  yet nobody gave a shit about paid online, is it because only Steam people do these things? Shadesplit pretty much made the punchline, especially if you watch on youtube these types of  internet celebrities people  "ohhh, rockstar made a mess with GTAV's micros fuck 'em", then RDR2 comes out " wonderful story 11/10 combat is clunky and online shitty, worse than GTAV,  but we don't care about that, right, fellow epik single player GAMER?", hell Naughty Dog has finally done something good by removing online in TLOU2, yet they were the ones that made all the kind of  micros there, even fucking taunts, but nobody talks about it, same with this game, who I'll buy because let 's face it, I'm a cod fanboy, (and before you judge me with your cyberpunk pre-order because cdprojekt is a lmao respectable company, exactly like Bethesda before they started with the horse armor to become what it's today I  stopped pre-ordering stuff  and always buy discounted), but let's not beat around the bush, the reason why people, (I'm sorry late stage cAAApitalism, was it?) treat others like shit is because those others allow it, and in this case, most customers are adrenaline junkies, there, I can't find a nicer way to put it, of course the devs have their fault, just like the customers, this COD will have micros and lootboxes, I'm sure of the first, and there will be a short outrage about it, but guess what? Cod has been on a downward spiral in public opinions since mw3, that's 8 fucking years, and that didn't matter one bit, people don't care, the mediocrity and the bashing of games  has become another form of videogame, one without trophies and there are already people capitalizing on this game like the youtubers, so finally, the only thing this backlash will change is patreon bucks.

21 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Naughty Dog has finally done something good by removing online in TLOU2, yet they were the ones that made all the kind of  micros there, even fucking taunts, but nobody talks about it [...]

I mentioned this in an earlier discussion and way basically called uniformed for citing them. 

People are selective in their bias so long as it fits their narrative. 

On 9/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, MidnightDragon said:

Infinity Ward and Activision recently caused quite a controversy when evidence there will be loot boxes in Modern Warfare was found during the beta and, more importantly, Special Ops Survival mode is exclusive to PS4 until about the time the next Call of Duty comes out. They told people essentially to have pity on the developers.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/27/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-dev-asks-fans-to-consider-developers-in-wake-of-outrage

Do they really think that'll help? :facepalm: If anything, it'll just make things worse. 

LOL. Screw these morons.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, Dreakon13 said:

You can boycott the game, you can boycott Activision/Infinity Ward, you can express your displeasure privately and publicly to your hearts content... but as people we shouldn't need to be told to not harass/verbally assault eachother (or worse).

I don't care if these devs agree with the mechanics or if they're just collecting a paycheck or what... honestly it's probably not the devs call with something like this... it's disgusting how quickly gamers devolve to death threats, prying into devs personal lives, personal attacks, etc.  Over a video game ffs.

Of course this is true, but the idea that fringe idiots should be cited in order to silence legitimate criticism just gnaws at me from the feet up. This has become a standard political ploy, so it's no wonder that it also gets picked up by soulless game publishers.

Yes, there are assholes out there who seem to think that death threats are a good idea. They should be removed from the gene pool ASAP (not that they'll be spreading their genes any time soon - I imagine there is a large crossover between these troglodytes and the "celibate against our will" jerkoffs). But that doesn't change the fact that complaints against microtransactions remain legitimate criticism against the game industry.

13 hours ago, TheLakota said:

People are selective in their bias so long as it fits their narrative. 

It annoys me to no end that people will forgive certain game publishers while castigating others. The number of times I've read, "EA sucks!!!!" from a flippin' Squeenix fanboy makes my head spin.

Edited by starcrunch061

I think there is a problem with how some (and lets face it, it is a tiny percentage of the whole, sad they just have the loudest voice) "criticize".  We should all be upset that the video game industry seems to be ruled by greed, and whoever is making the decisions is not looking out for the consumer, they only care about their short term bottom line.  BUT, and I cannot stress this enough, there is a massive difference between being upset with a concept and voicing your concern over it, and attacking people.  The moment you start throwing insults around, you have crossed a line that should never be crossed.  To all those that don't understand this article, or why they would ask you to "think of the developers", you are not the problem.  They don't want to stop criticism, they want to stop the death threats, and threats to peoples families, that come from that very loud, very small percentage of people.

Keep up the criticism, keep fighting for these companies to start making good games again instead of just money generators, but lay off the insults and attacks.  They help no-one.

27 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Of course this is true, but the idea that fringe idiots should be cited in order to silence legitimate criticism just gnaws at me from the feet up. This has become a standard political ploy, so it's no wonder that it also gets picked up by soulless game publishers.

Yes, there are assholes out there who seem to think that death threats are a good idea. They should be removed from the gene pool ASAP (not that they'll be spreading their genes any time soon - I imagine there is a large crossover between these troglodytes and the "celibate against our will" jerkoffs). But that doesn't change the fact that complaints against microtransactions remain legitimate criticism against the game industry.

Yeah, I'm not arguing against the legitimate criticism.

That said, it's not the first and won't be the last time developers (as in the individuals themselves, not the "association of people that form a software development company") have been outspoken about the frequency and severity of being attacked.  Going back well before this wave of microtransaction mechanics.  I can't imagine the threats and incited violence these people find in their email inboxes or DM's on social media when gamers catch wind of ways to directly target people on the inside, probably over things even smaller than microtransactions.

I think people have their heads in their asses a little when it comes to this, and are so concerned about "fighting the cause" that they blind themselves to anything that might take away any of their perceived leverage.  Seeing even the real shit as "ploys" and paranoia that everyone/thing that isn't in total agreement is the enemy.  Maybe because they feel like they don't have much leverage in the first place, or speaking with your wallet on its own isn't instantly gratifying enough.

EDIT: Attack the companies, attack the games, don't attack the developers.  Don't pretend attacking of the devs doesn't happen, or downplay it either.  Condemn the troglodytes too.  Sweeping it under the rug makes you no better than the companies that downplay the shady shit that goes on among their ranks.

Edited by Dreakon13

are these loot boxes going to give a competitive advantage?  If so than shame on them if not great for the loot boxes because some people will buy them foolishly with their money which is what makes the game only 59.99 for me.  Back in 1985 guess what we paid for a new NES game.......59.99.  Call of duty game truly are games I play all year the year they come out and then sometimes go back to over the course of a few years after.  If people want to drop money on weapon skins it only makes my gaming experience cheaper in the long run.

23 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

they want to stop the death threats, and threats to peoples families, that come from that very loud, very small percentage of people.

Man this is the epitome of fake outrage, just lmao 😂. The article doesn't even mention death threats or any kind of threat at all, one guy in the thread made this shit up and convinced you it's a real thing like wtf 😆. I've probably gotten more death threats on twitter than the entire staff of Activision, even if such a thing happened (which you have no proof of) they're public figures and they have to learn to deal with it, report block and move on.

19 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Do you think of Activision as an evil fallout villain A.I. or something running on its own 1f606.png?

Ehm... Well, yes. Actually I do think of them like that. ;)

I'm not sure everybody means the same thing with "developers" in this discussion. It's not "the developing company" (Infinity Ward in this case, who could be held accountable as an entity for sure). Rather, it's about the actual people that are told what to code, how to code it and when to have it coded. They have absolutely no say in anything about the game at all, let alone whether or not there will be loot boxes or some shit like that. To attack those people as viciously as they reportedly are, is like blaming some dictator's atrocities on his baker.

Then again, I never trust Activision so this time is no exception. They are not known for giving a fuck about their developers at all. I have not looked at this in depth, I try to steer away from these controversies nowadays (because it's always the same and nothing ever changes) but for all I know this may be some desperate guilt-trip-pity-card on Activision's part to try and steer attention away from themselves. But maybe I have become slightly jaded :D

One thing I did see was "Please report on facts and not rumours", although they fail to point out that those rumours are completely in line with Activision's actions in the past. Look what they did to COD: MW Remastered:

• First only made it available as a package with another game.
  • Microtransactions/loot drops were put in after release.
  • They resold the same DLC packs as the original game...
  • ... And did so at a higher price.

This stuff about MW2 is actually... well I'm not saying this is better, but how the fuck could it be worse? ;)

To nowadays think that there would NOT be microtransactions in this game is at best 'slightly naive'. Did those people only learn about Call of Duty two months ago or something? I am actually impressed some people can still be bothered to go ape shit over stuff like this.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

36 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

Man this is the epitome of fake outrage, just lmao 1f602.png. The article doesn't even mention death threats or any kind of threat at all, one guy in the thread made this shit up and convinced you it's a real thing like wtf 1f606.png. I've probably gotten more death threats on twitter than the entire staff of Activision, even if such a thing happened (which you have no proof of) they're public figures and they have to learn to deal with it, report block and move on.

I knew there was a reason I blocked you, you goddamn philistine. Rest assured I won't be making the same mistake of thinking you'd learned to become more tolerable.