Infinity Ward asks people to think of developers in wake of Modern Warfare backlash

45 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Ehm... Well, yes. Actually I do think of them like that. ;)

The points and arguments are valid but the conclusion about a company being just plain evil because they are too greedy and monetize every single thing in a game, is just plain stupid if you ask me. I remind you that the games are directed to a mature audience, if you are smart enough you wont buy they bs microtransactions, but that doesnt make them evil, its just a childish point of view.

I think that insulting developers etc is not the right way, BUT they are responsible for the product so as long as it's civilized I do think developers shareholder and everyone else who works in that scam of a company need to be called out. If you choose to be a lapdog then don't be surprised to be treated like a dog. 

I don't feel sorry for the developers since they enforce those greedy behavior of the higher ups by silently executing the task that's given witch is wrong.

The whales won't stop do put money into Activision's A$$ so the change need to acur inside the devils den and not outside.

And please people let's be grown ups here and reply in a Manor that's don't imply someone ist stupid just the way some people are thinking is beyond you. Either talk it out or burn Activion/ infinity ward to ashes but we're all gamers here who want to have fun without being screwed over.

• Like 2

I mean, it isn't like you are going to be blocked from PSN if you don't buy the game.  So, just don't buy it.  

Regarding the loot boxes; I could care less if they put loot boxes in there AS LONG AS it doesn't unbalance the game so much that it is unplayable.

@PooPooBlast  @jimbob12345678 Where is Ramsey when we need him? :awesome:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKyZoX9 said:

The points and arguments are valid but the conclusion about a company being just plain evil because they are too greedy and monetize every single thing in a game, is just plain stupid if you ask me. I remind you that the games are directed to a mature audience, if you are smart enough you wont buy they bs microtransactions, but that doesnt make them evil, its just a childish point of view.

Nah I don't think they are pure evil at all. I am not a black and white kind of guy. It's just that I had this mental picture of Activision with red glowing eyes parading Infinity Ward's helpless body around like a zombie puppet on a string. Just like when I think of EA, I can nowadays only see a fat sweaty troll fast asleep on a pile of dead studio corpses, dreaming of a perfect future without middle tier studio's so that the only alternative to AAA is indie games.

But I'm sure there are good people working there as well.

I do think they are taking monetization way too far, because it is actually changing the games you play. But then again, they do it because enough people still lap it up, as you rightly point out. It's still greed though, because enough never seems to be enough. They are willing to gamble away their own product nowadays, just to make even more profit for just one more extra year.

That means that there will definitely be a breaking point though. That single moment when people finally find something more fun to spend their money on than senseless microtransactions for useless digital stuff that you need to rebuy for every new release in a game series. That is when the shit will hit the fan, because there is simply no graceful way back for companies like Activision from this ever more greedy approach to game monetization.

As for me personally, I won't get worked up about this kind of stuff. I just play old shit. I still have so many PS3 games to still get through that it really does not bother me at all. So I'm not angy and I don't have an axe to grind. I just talk about the things the way I see them.

Now don't get me onto the subject of Formula 1 racing on the other hand, I will be raging here all night ;)

Edit: And as far as panikooos goes, if you didn't call him a troll he would probably be disappointed. So either feed him with confidence or don't feed him at all ;)

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I do think they are taking monetization way too far, because it is actually changing the games you play. But then again, they do it because enough people still lap it up, as you rightly point out. It's still greed though, because enough never seems to be enough.

There will be a breaking point though, that single moment when people finally find something more fun to spend their money on than senseless microtransactions for useless digital crap that you need to rebuy for every new release in a game series. That is when the shit will hit the fan, because there is simply no graceful way back for companies like Activision from this ever more greedy approach to game monetization.

Exactly, they are just taking the shares of the automatic consumers in the market that buy stupid things whatever it will be, its called predatory business. Im a student at econ, when you talked about a breaking point, sure their is but they will never go past it so they stay in the area when its just doesnt seem outrageous. They know exactly what they are doing because they have guys who know econs and tell them how to do it.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, panikooooos said:

The videogame industry is such a disgusting cesspool my god man, you literally can't make this shit up, the seller is lecturing the customer, telling him to just shut the fuck up and pay up like a good slave instead of criticizing his product because "muh feelings". Name 1 industry where this is acceptable. It's like going to a restaurant, getting served a burned steak with shit on top of it and when I complain they throw me out and call me entitled, like what? I was cautiously optimistic about this btw, now it's all red flags

There is a difference between complaining and harassment. I think they are simply asking people to remember that all people have feelings. It seems pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

Don't buy it, seriously, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy anything here. People complaining about choices of all things shows how far society has fallen and to have the gall to insult people doing their jobs of all things makes it more disgusting.

34 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

There is a difference between complaining and harassment. I think they are simply asking people to remember that all people have feelings. It seems pretty reasonable.

But all the evidence so far points us to people complaining, where's this supposed "harassment" ?, even the article OP quoted literally says that they read some reddit posts about the game and it "got to them". Reddit isn't gonna allow targeted harassment, obviously the posts were just shitting on the game/company as they usually do. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, panikooooos said:

But all the evidence so far points us to people complaining, where's this supposed "harassment" 1f914.png, even the article OP quoted literally says that they read some reddit posts about the game and it "got to them". Reddit isn't gonna allow targeted harassment, obviously the posts were just shitting on the game/company as they usually do. 

Did they specify the reddit posts? Posts can be made, read, and then removed. I am simply stating the obvious. It is a reasonable request for people to remember that there are actual human beings creating these games without the input to control a lot of the aspects people are targeting them for these days.

8 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

Did they specify the reddit posts? Posts can be made, read, and then removed. I am simply stating the obvious. It is a reasonable request for people to remember that there are actual human beings creating these games without the input to control a lot of the aspects people are targeting them for these days.

The people without the input to control a lot of the aspects are the people no one knows about and no one cares about, or am I supposed to believe people who hate the new Cod are gonna send death threats to Susan from HR or the janitor at Activision ?? Now I'm not gonna go out of my way and insult Activision developers but I sure won't feel pity for them. Activision is known for its scummy franchise destroying money making schemes, they sure don't see you as a human being, they see you and me as dumb cattle, respect has to be earned, not demanded. 

5 hours ago, PermaFox said:

I mean, it isn't like you are going to be blocked from PSN if you don't buy the game.  So, just don't buy it.  

Regarding the loot boxes; I could care less if they put loot boxes in there AS LONG AS it doesn't unbalance the game so much that it is unplayable.

@PooPooBlast  @jimbob12345678 Where is Ramsey when we need him? :awesome:

What Activision be like to their customers after complaining about COD every year but still buying it. :P

gallery-1481917610-84624509.gif?resize=3

Edited by PooPooBlast

2 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

I'm pretty skint right now, but I believe I was trying to draw a parallel between a nearly 40 year old game costing the same as a current new release game.

It virtually does, sure 60$ of 1985 cost 150 of 2019, but we are drasticly more people to play and buy games than in 1985, that means we lower the price per consumer. so tbh its fairly ok that a game cost 70$. At the end the consumer wont think of himself paying less than in 1985 but paying 10$ more even tho its not it.

6 minutes ago, SKyZoX9 said:

It virtually does, sure 60$ of 1985 cost 150 of 2019, but we are drasticly more people to play and buy games than in 1985, that means we lower the price per consumer. so tbh its fairly ok that a game cost 70$. At the end the consumer wont think of himself paying less than in 1985 but paying 10$ more even tho its not it.

With longer development cycles and much higher production costs, how does that put a $60 game like Horizon Zero Dawn on an even playing field with something like NES's Doctor Chaos?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

With longer development cycles and much higher production costs, how does that put a $60 game like Horizon Zero Dawn on an even playing field with something like NES's Doctor Chaos?

If 100K people bought the mario at 1985, just trowing a blank dont know the numbers, well HZD sold 2 millions of copy. Meaning developpement, cost and whatnot are collapsed by the number of sold copy because we are SO MANY more gamers today. Thats just supply and demand in the work.

Edited by SKyZoX9
  • Like 1

Yeah I feel bad for developers. I just picture some fat bigwig guy who's never played a video game in his life ordering them around telling them to add in all this bs like lootboxes and stuff while they're sitting there not making eye contact and quivering in their chairs too scared to tell him that people hate their company because of this exact thing. But fatty likes his paycheck too much to care about what customers are saying they want and treating the developers like employees and not slaves. People keep putting money in their pockets and in a capitalist society, money talks.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

17 minutes ago, SKyZoX9 said:

If 100K people bought the mario at 1985, just trowing a blank dont know the numbers, well HZD sold 2 millions of copy. Meaning developpement, cost and whatnot are collapsed by the number of sold copy because we are SO MANY more gamers today. Thats just supply and demand in the work.

Could just be the cabbage talking, but I feel like my $60 investment today seems less concerning than the same investment 35 years ago. Regardless of actual economics (if you couldn't tell, I'm not winning any scholastic awards), I wont sympathize with anyone in the industry.

7 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

Could just be the cabbage talking, but I feel like my $60 investment today seems less concerning than the same investment 35 years ago. Regardless of actual economics (if you couldn't tell, I'm not winning any scholastic awards), I wont sympathize with anyone in the industry.

What i love with econ, its not marketing, it doesnt need you to sympathize, its just here to do the job intended. The investement are less concerning because of many things, the variety and number of games we have, the choices and finally the fact that its actually economically cheaper even we dont see it. Tho if you take games in their entier packages, Ultimate edition and whatnot and you get to 120$, that just the industry trying to get from you the 60$ from 1985, i wont even mention microtransactions, it just mental predatory business.

Edited by SKyZoX9
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Upendo_Vitani said:

Yeah I feel bad for developers. I just picture some fat bigwig guy who's never played a video game in his life ordering them around telling them to add in all this bs like lootboxes and stuff while they're sitting there not making eye contact and quivering in their chairs too scared to tell him that people hate their company because of this exact thing. But fatty likes his paycheck too much to care about what customers are saying they want and treating the developers like employees and not slaves. People keep putting money in their pockets and in a capitalist society, money talks.

Ah, here we go, the evils of capitalism, I wondered how long it would be until someone went there. A CEO of a gaming company didn't get their job because they like games, they received it because they know how to run a business, which the gaming industry is, a business. People do a job, people choose whether or not to pay for their services. There is no evil here unless the seller is maliciously harming you in some way.