Time to Plat

linkdevivo

According to a Playstationtrophies trophy roadmap, the game takes roughly 120 hours to fully complete, has a 7/10 in average difficulty and has a minimum of 2 playthroughs. Yakuza games are known to be challenging especially in legend mode or "extra hard" mode as it is often called, having tricky mini games people often struggle with because usually they don't even know the basic rules for them, like I have seen people complain that they more or less had to master Mahjong from the ground up to have a chance to get all trophies, the games also have you collect a lot of stuff and do many requests, and the 100% gold trophy seems pretty demanding overall. Just a look at the rarity of the harder Yakuza platinums compared to the easier ones, being in ultra rare with a game that has a pretty dedicated fanbase for the series, should tell you that this won't be a walk in the park.

• Like 3

Took me about 85 hours, but that's having played Yakuza 0 first so I was already used to the bulk of the gameplay (including minigames). It's easier than 0 was in my opinion but has some pretty rough parts. You'd need 2 playthroughs because Legend difficulty is locked until the first clear. 

There's a guide on GameFAQs that covers the vast majority of what the platinum requires in pretty good detail, albeit not in a formal "trophy guide" format. 

If you've never played a Yakuza game before, it's probably going to take you a good chunk of time to learn all the side content. For example, I didn't know how to play mahjong before Yakuza, so in 0 it took me several hours just to learn how to play mahjong well enough to even start attempting its challenges. In Kiwami I could just jump in and knock them out much quicker because I already knew the rules.

The things I see people talk about the most as being sticking points are mahjong, climax battles (basically a series of postgame challenge fights, pretty tough but easier than 0's), a rail shooter mission in the main story that's tough on Legend, and then a couple specific postgame minigame challenges (mainly karaoke and billiards). Yakuza platinums test you on a huge variety of different skills. 

• Like 4

I'm pretty much echoing what the person above me said. Took me around 80 hours to complete but there are a few real road blocks. 

First is the climax battles. They are annoying at various points but overall I found them doable with practice. This is the easiest of the roadblocks in my opinion.

Secondly is the legend mode car chase. There are a few videos out there that I had to watch and pause the game in between sections to see and learn what was coming next before it even popped up on the screen. The worst part is if you fail, you HAVE to run through a gauntlet of enemies plus a boss battle just to even get to the car chase which you then could potentially screw up on the first shot. The gauntlet part can be made faster but you MUST perfect the "Tiger Drop" technique to run through this section quickly. You should learn it anyway cause it makes the game easier overall.

Lastly I found the karaoke/billiard game took me the most time to beat but I guess it's debatable if it's the hardest part. All I can say is practice and you should get them both eventually.

Mahjong defintley is a pain just because you have to get a certain hand for some achievements and takes time to learn. Always play on easy because it will take the computer longer to get a "Richii." Also hit the square button every single time it is your turn to see if it will allow you to call "Richii." You should always do this because you may just luck into a hand which I did several times.

Defintely a solid 6/10 difficulty. I only played Yakuza 5 and this one to me was easier and less time consuming by about 40 hours.

• Like 1

Personally I don't understand why people complain about the mahjong stuff. There's a good guide for mahjong on this site and reading through it once was basically enough for me to have a grasp on how to play the game. It was certainly enough to get all the mahjong stuff for 0 done without any fuss at least (I'm not a good player at all lol) I haven't played Kiwami yet, although I'm planning to reasonably soon but I've heard it's not that bad other than the car chase which someone else mentioned.

• Like 2

Yakuza Kiwami was my first ever JRPG and I enjoyed (almost) every moment. As others have said above there are certain parts of the game which require quite a bit of effort and luck such as the Climax Battles, Mahjong, the car chase on Legend difficulty and Haruka’s requests. Finding Majima everywhere was quite annoying too but there are specific spots he should spawn.

Before I started the game I couldn’t find a guide either so I jumped blindly into it. I have to say, the sheer amount of stuff you can do (and need to do for trophies) in such a small map, are amazing. I’ve never played a game like it before, it was a 10/10 experience. Don’t let all of this overwhelm you or put you off from starting the game. I found most of my information by googling + watching YouTube videos so there is help out there. I see that GameFAQs was mentioned and that website does have a great guide which I also recommend. If you need advice I’m happy to lend a hand as much as I can.

• Like 1

Go for it! It was one of my first real challenging platinums, but it was worth it in the end. I ended up learning how to play mahjong (and enjoying it), had a pretty fun time doing a bunch of the minigames, and pretty much got the hang of the whole series and fell in love with it. Sure, it's though to not have a guide, but it's not that difficult either, since you can find some things on the internet (like the shogi challenges)

The car chase on Legend can be a real pain, and collecting the weapons and equipment too, so good luck. If you need any help with something in specific I can share some of my tactics.

I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy your playthrough. I completed the game with an aproximate of 130 hours or so, but I'm proud of it. 

On 29/09/2019 at 2:11 AM, zajac9999 said:

Personally I don't understand why people complain about the mahjong stuff. There's a good guide for mahjong on this site and reading through it once was basically enough for me to have a grasp on how to play the game. It was certainly enough to get all the mahjong stuff for 0 done without any fuss at least (I'm not a good player at all lol) I haven't played Kiwami yet, although I'm planning to reasonably soon but I've heard it's not that bad other than the car chase which someone else mentioned.

I agree. Kiwami made me love Mahjong lol. After I learned how it worked it was just a matter of getting good at it. I'm glad most of the challenges are for Mahjong and not shogi. I'll never learn to like shogi

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I really don't bother getting more trophies before but once I got involved in Yakuza kiwami I found it interesting and challenging, most trophies are just matter of time, the most Ridiculous and annoying one are those related to MAH JONG ones, took me many hours to learn the basics of this Chinese or whatever game is, you can useful topics about MAHJONG online to help getting the trophies. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Took me 185 hours, the gambling games, legend - car chase sequence and weapon/gear grind is the main reason for that. Unlike, other posts regarding this game I would say mahjong is perfectly doable and relatively easy, for me who went in knowing nothing about mahjong, I watched the first hour of the 3 hour Japanese mahjong rule explanation on YouTube and defined the terms used in the completion list and from that point was golden. 

• 1 year later...

I actually played this game first before I even touched Yakuza 0. This was because of the fact that Yakuza Kiwami 1 was a PS Plus title a few years back in 2018, which I immediately picked up because I heard so many great things about this franchise. However I only played for a couple hours or so before dropping it, notably because of the sheer time requirement to platinum.

Now after finishing Yakuza 0, I already know that Yakuza Kiwami 1 is basically the same thing. A great storyline, memorable characters, a bunch of minigames and a few tough roadblocks for the Perfectionist trophy. I'm tempted to actually start Kiwami 1 on my main account, one being that Mahjong is still fresh in my mind. Believe it or not, the game developers for the Yakuza franchise actually made Mahjong easier and more simple as opposed to the actual Mahjong in real life which is more complicated. So I have to thank them for doing that. This time around I won't have to spend a solid seven or eight hours or so to learn how the goddamn game works, because I already know how to play Mahjong.

There's other stuff like slot car racing, pool/billards, roulette, poker, bowling, etc etc etc that should already be familiar to anybody who played and done Yakuza 0. Kiwami 1 in contrast looks a good bit shorter. Not as many chapters, and a focus on just one protagonist instead of two. Bit of a shame though, I was really beginning to like and appreciate Goro Majima. This time around, you actually have to fight and compete against him as Kiryu.

Yakuza Kiwami 1 was developed on the same game engine. The Climax Battles look exactly the same as they did in Yakuza 0, so I can expect some more hair pulling when I get around to them. Same weapon/gear grind as well, which took me several hours to finish in the previous game.

I should have lots of fun and enjoyment with this one.

• Like 1