This game is really bad

AtotheMtotheZ

23 minutes ago, Wavergray said:

Is it better or worse than Darksiders 2? Because Darksiders 2 was one of the worst games I played in a long time. 
Darksiders 2 was a unpolished mess of a game with way to many bad design decisions that just made the game unfun to play after a few hours. 

my opinion - MUCH worse that darksiders 2.

• Like 1

The main issue with this game is how horrifically programmed it is.  It is easily one of the worst performing games I've played on PS4.  The incessant loading just trying to run around the different areas is infuriating... it wasn't uncommon for the game to load 4-5 times or more in a minute just trying to run between areas for collectibles.  It also randomly crashes and because the save system is so poorly thought out it can cause you to have to clear entire areas again while other times it seems to just checkpoint in a random spot not near Vulgrim.

The game struggles to keep anything close to 30 FPS and the combat never feels fully realized because of it.  I was always fighting with the game to do what I wanted and respond as quickly as I was inputting commands.  It makes the evade counter difficult to perform when the game can't run at a decent framerate.  You also can't do any interesting multi-subweapon combos because of the difficulty in seamlessly switching between them.  Often times I'd have to stop doing any input for a second or so to get the game to finally swap my subweapon.  I think that most people just overlook the issue because you can spam Havoc form through most of the fights on Apocalyptic.

I also had the game just fail to load its background/environment assets entirely when trying to get around the areas faster.  This game would be horrible to try to speedrun because of all the loading and random glitches it has.

It is just really unfortunate because the game would otherwise be pretty decent if it ran well.  I don't like that the developers decided to make paid DLC season pass content instead of patching it to run well enough to be remotely enjoyable.  I just hope that if they carry on this franchise that they take performance and quality standards a bit more seriously.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 2

It's not that bad imo. I'm near the end of my 1st playthrough and while it's the worst soulslike game that I've played so far, it's still enjoyable. I'm biased though, every souls clone is surprisingly engaging to me. The performance is crap, that's true and very annoying. Respawning with every mob alive is a standard for games like this. But what's the problem with dodging? Combat is much less polished than in the souls series and feels more hack and slashy and simplistic, but it's also much more forgiving and quite easy once you get the basic idea. You can literally mash most mobs to death here, occasionally pressing the dodge button or delaying a hit against the guarding ones. 

• Like 1

Graphics are a style choice. Nothing wrong with that. Stylized graphics hold up longer than realistic in most cases.

Strange they went Souls like. I hear DS2 was more like Zelda. Let's forget what made the series popular, and copy something else. Oh wait, that's the standard.

I'm still on the fence about giving this a go (got it with PS+). Haven't heard a decent reason not to besides performance, and I have a OG model. ?

21 hours ago, Sky_RykerXD said:

Graphics are a style choice. Nothing wrong with that. Stylized graphics hold up longer than realistic in most cases.

Strange they went Souls like. I hear DS2 was more like Zelda. Let's forget what made the series popular, and copy something else. Oh wait, that's the standard.

I'm still on the fence about giving this a go (got it with PS+). Haven't heard a decent reason not to besides performance, and I have a OG model. 1f636.png

Really I would say DS1 had much more of a Zelda feel.

Darksiders 1 had a strong Zelda feel

Darksiders 2 had more of a God of War thing

Darksiders 3 has a Souls thing going

At least in my opinion.

I kinda like that they shake things up for each game, it makes each horseman feel distinct down to the very core of their gameplay.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 4

Seems to me you aren’t familiar with the souls formula and got your ass handed to you so now you’re compiling a list of reasons why this game is the worst thing ever. I agree that it has technical issues but almost all your other points just seem random.

1. The save system is pretty much the same as any other souls game. 

2. The dodge system works and is even more forgiving compared to other souls like. 

3. Anyone who plays these kinds of games know you die very fast. 

4. When’s the last time you looked at a 2010 game? 

5&6. What makes the story and gameplay pretty boring? Is it lack of enemy variety, poor pacing, uninspired combat etc. 

It’s easily the weakest of the series but it isn’t the abomination some make it out to be.

• Like 3

I'm a huge fan of the Darksiders series, playing the I and II multiple times and enjoying each time, but this game is really bad. Graphics, story, the clunky gameplay. I had heard bad opinions about it, but I thought it was mainly due to the overwhelming number of bugs at release, but no, it's just a bad game. The sad part is that I paid for it. 

• Like 1

For the ones that asked, the souls save style for Darksiders 3 is something I seriously dislike because darksiders 1 & 2 were not like this. So yeah, maybe its not a special for the souls formula, but as a darksiders 1 & 2 player I would have expected something else in 3.

Regarding the dodge system - its main problem is the game running like shit. Passing over the idea that enemies just make a triple-leg jump to reach you if you dodge with 0.1 second before you should which is ridiculous as anything goes (don't care if its a souls formula or anything else, something like this should not exist) well even if you succeed in getting the hang of it, you cant do it right because of the performance and framerate.

The story and gameplay being boring is something I felt, not a general rule. Weapons are boring, it's really hard combining weapons for combos. The story doesn't have anything wow and some scenes just make you wonder why.

Again, I'm sure there are people who enjoyed this and would recommend it, but my advice was to pass this.

Edited by AtotheMtotheZ

I'm a huge fan of the Darksiders series.  I bought this game at release, but didn't get to it right away because I was finishing up Spider-Man and Red Dead II (the only three games I've purchased in a year and they all came out within two months of each other).  I also figured being a smaller budget game, I'd give them a little bit to patch any bugs.

When I finally got around to playing this game, I was initially unimpressed. I think mostly because I had just finished two AAA games so the graphics seemed underwhelming and I'm not a huge fan of souls-like games.  However, after I put a couple hours into it and gave it a chance I really started to enjoy it.  By the end of my 100% run I had played through the game three times.  Definitely the weakest entry of the series and the last DLC was super weak, but I still really like it.

I know a lot of fans were turned off by Darksiders III being souls-like, but it's the nature of the series.  They always try something new while borrowing heavily from popular franchises.

Darksiders I - Zelda meets God of War

Darksiders II - Open world Prince of Persia

Darksiders III - Dark Souls

Darksiders Genesis - Diablo

Personally, this is why I love these games.  I like the characters and they always borrow really cool elements from other genres while keeping that original hack and slash feel.  My main criticism would be that the loading screens lagging was a nuisance, but honestly it mostly happened in specific areas and I only had the game crash once where I lost some progress because it had been a while since I hit a save check point.  Now that this is on Plus, I think it's definitely worth giving a chance.

• Like 2