This game is really bad

AtotheMtotheZ

On 10/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, Sky_RykerXD said:

Thank you all. I'm sold on this series. Its on my list.

One quick question: Can I start with Darksiders 3 and not be lost? I'll grab 1+2 in the upcoming sales.

There's really no harm in starting with the third one.  All three games take place concurrently for the most part.  There are a couple nods in the third one towards the first, but they'll make sense once you get to playing the first.  I'd say the second one would be the most spoilerly one so definitely play that after the first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Might be time you find a new hobby then dude instead of typing attention seaking posts like this. #whenthefunstopsstop

Kinda funny if that was my intention, sense you gave me attention. :jaymon:

But, no, that wasn't the reason for my post. I'm the type of person to finish watching a bad movie or a boring book. While typing this, I have the new Jeff Dunham stand up playing in the background. If you still find joy around every corner, then I'm happy for you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Kinda funny if that was my intention, sense you gave me attention. :jaymon:

But, no, that wasn't the reason for my post. I'm the type of person to finish watching a bad movie or a boring book. While typing this, I have the new Jeff Dunham stand up playing in the background. If you still find joy around every corner, then I'm happy for you.

Nothing bad about jeff dunham. Brilliant comedian and ventriloquist. 

ps. Sorry for the off of topic message

even for being " Free! " this month on PS Plus still don't magically made this game any good!

I wasn't even planning to buy this game as I never played any of the older games.

I really started to hate this Soul-like game play, remind me so much of the dynasty warrior series which its game play been used everywhere it started to get super boring and bland.

so what next Darksiders 4 to be a Battle Royale game?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm playing it on story difficulty with classic combat mode and having a blast. Everyone was hating on this game so I ignored it even though I'm huge fan of first two Darksiders. Two annoying things are save point system and the constant loading and texture pop-in. But other than that on the easiest difficulty it's a bit weaker version of first two games and I'm more than satisfied with it (since I got it as PS+ title and didn't buy it for full price). 7/10 so far. Story is weak but that was the case for DS2 as well so I wasn't expecting epic and deep plot.

They definitely made a poor decision when they tried to copy soulsborne games, though.

Edited by Terminus124
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think this game is badly finished. During my gameplay I saw a lot of unfinished textures, artifacts, loading screens for nothing at anywhere, too long loading screens, some lags (this game isn't MP!) outdated graphics and I have crashed three times. Positively the worst game in the series!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes this is far and wide the worst game I've played in this series (still need to play Genesis). I didn't love Darksiders 2 either, but it was still a decent game. The first game was amazing, so I don't like the idea of changing the gameplay up for each Horseman, it's a dynamic that works on paper but not in execution. Switching up some gameplay mechanics is fine...but what attracted me to the series is because of how well done the first game was...you expect more of that in sequels, but this game deviated SO MUCH and it's just stressful for stress sake. Not everything has to be a Souls game....let Fromsoft have their thing. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 7:32 PM, AtotheMtotheZ said:

1. The. Worst. Fucking. Save. System. EVER! sometimes you progress for like 15 mins, then you die and you are back from scratch. You need to find some special save points and until you get to a new one, you will restart from the last one. With every mob alive. Its a fucking horror.

2. The dodge system (the one thing that saves you from dying) is really retarded. Its so retarded I can't even explain it.

3. You die really, REALLY easy. Corroborate this with 1 and 2 and you got yourself a ragequit.

These 3 reasons are the main ones I would not recommend this game, not even for free. And this comes from a person who played Darksiders 1 & 2. Others:

1. So...from what I understand you die too often and get send back to a save point very often. So you are bad?
2. The dodge system is retarded, so retarded that you can't explain it? This sentence speaks more about you than the game lol :D
3. You die really easy? Sound like you need to lower the difficulty friend, the higher difficulties aren't for everyone. Play on easy, it's ok. I hear there are even people who play ALL games on easy

• Like 1

This is just one of those games that has a ton of technical issues, and yet I've still found it to be a blast to play nonetheless. lol

I definitely feel that Nordic should've given the developers a larger budget and more time to iron out the kinks, but the gameplay was quite fun to me despite III's glaring flaws.

(Can't say I entirely blame them for being cheap, though, considering how niche this series is and how II - despite doing well - is what put the final nail in THQ's coffin)

I honestly enjoyed it more than II because - while they took the Zelda-esque dungeons away - it reminded me a lot more of the first game in a lot of ways.
Plus, it heavily toned down the unnecessary and shoehorned Diablo-esque RPG/loot bloat that the second game had for whatever awful reason.

(Something people criticize III for doing, but I remember being so grateful that they reduced that BS because it bogged II down quite a bit even if I still enjoyed it)

All that said, hopefully we'll get a fourth main game centered on Strife that'll get a meatier budget and a more reasonable amount of development time.

(Perhaps with a little bit of Devil May Cry's gameplay and personality mixed in?)

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

I got it free with the monthly PS+ account releases last year. I wanted to play the earlier games until I tried it. It's definitely not worth the buy. The standard seems to have degenerated from the 1st game and I wasn't too hyped about that one either. The second game took me 45 hours for a single run of the campaign playthrough and the material was redundant. I'm pretty certain after finishing this one, I will be playing no more DarkSiders further releases - I do plan to complete it as I'm aiming for 100% trophy collection, though I suspect it will be an exercise in self-immolation.

I can help put into words the dodge system as, 2 days into the game, it's practically the only thing that's increasingly frustrated me more than anything because I keep dying because of it. Once Fury launches into a chain of attacks, you can't dodge until she's completed the sequence which makes it impossible to 1)dodge surprise attacks from enemies behind you and/or 2) if you miss an enemy with your attack, when that enemy attacks you from that opening they are able to deal you damage thus killing you. This only means that when you get into fights, you need to make sure that there are no enemies behind you, which kills any sense of flexibility and ingenuity in your gameplay. It limits your options to improvise during fights. This is the thing that's frustrated me since yesterday.

The save system is also one of the worst things. I genuinely don't know why they didn't reserve it for the most difficult mode. It make no sense to have it even in normal mode.

Edited by MoBBurnz
Needed to add more commentary

I have to agree, III is the worst entry in the series. Coming off of 1 and 2 (one of my all-time favorite games), I legitimately had high hopes for this game and was really looking forward to playing as Fury, plus I was/am fairly into Soulsbourne stuff so I was already on-board with the conceptual gameplay...then when I actually played it at launch, my soul fell off a cliff. Tons and tons of audio/visual glitches, plenty of unfair deaths, an extremely bare-bones combat and upgrade system, platforming that just didn't work half the time, and the most generic story in the entire series to top it all off (accompanied by Fury herself having some of the most half-assed "character development" I've ever seen in any game, especially in comparison to the fairly nuanced depictions of War and Death prior). I'm going to go back and plat it eventually, but it's gonna be almost as painful as Assassin's Creed III was, I can just tell. At least Genesis was a few steps back in the right direction.

As a Fan of the Darksiders Games i agree with this being the worst game of the Series. I personally enjoyed Darksiders 2 the most (thats why i platinumed it twice on ps3 and ps4). i think they wanted to try a new direction (Souls-like) with darksiders 3 that just didnt work out unfortunately.

But still i have to say theres been worse games than this one. ive definitly played games lately that were a Torture to even finish. 

But yeah i hope there will be another good Darksiders Game in the future^^

So ... after only 3 days, this POS game finally broke me - which is really a first for me.

I've made no progress for the past 2 days and have been dying on the same spot and being respawned miles away with 0 credits for upgrades and, because the combat mechanics of the game are so dreadfully awful, by the time I arrive at the spot where I died, I've either spent all of my health or, if I've retained it all, the mini-boss kills me because the dodge system is ineffective in evading attacks.  I'm not far into the game (just at the start of The Hallows) but after dying where I've been dying for 2 days straight with 6 hours of gameplay, I know games (even in normal mode) get progressively challenging as you advance so I'm guessing later levels will be infinitely tedious to master.

On a side note, I saw a review of the game that the shield master enemies (like in Darksiders 2) still have no stamina limits and can block attacks until kingdom come- I mean (honestly, guys though) who thought of this crap????? The other annoying design issue with Fury, when she dodges an attack, she temporarily gets charged with magic compelling her to launch an attack if you time the buttons just right. Well, this attack is not uniform at all and you have no choice of which variant of it she will perform: she can wheel in the air or (and this is one of the reasons I've died several times) she performs an unexpected uppercut, leaping miles into the air, making her vulnerable to attacks below her when she returns to surface. It's just generally bad to fight hordes in this game because of this - even in normal mode.

When I posted on this thread on Friday (2 days ago), I genuinely thought I could soldier it and do 100% trophy collection. I was overconfident and foolhardy. However, I've had to admit it to myself only a few hours ago that I'm going no where with this POS game. I swore to myself that even though I'm collecting trophies, I will play primarily for fun which is what I always try to do in my first playthrough - I never care for trophies but only in subsequent replays. For my first playthough, I focus on the storyline, graphics, the world being presented, is the combat fun to do etc. No time to do that in this onerous game. The bad save system, onerous dodge system, mediocre storyline enervate all fun from this game. 

IMO, the game is not difficult at all. I've soldiered difficult modes without tutorials and they were fun because the technical aspects of the fighting gave you a fair shot. I never thought I could do the difficult mode for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, but it was fun to do and the fair shot was enough sell for me to do. I did the Easter Eggs for CoD Advanced Warfare - they were unbelievably difficult but so much fun to do whether solo or in a group because the playground was level. This game is just a confluence of bad design, layout, horrible fighting design (the one thing they were supposed to excel in b/c it is, after all, a hack and slash game). I thought Darksiders 1 had a clichéd storyline, but the fun fighting made up for it. I enjoyed it.

With this one, it's a first for me: to admit defeat to and be humbled by mediocrity. I won't be buying/playing any DarkSiders releases in the future. I'm too scarred by how awful this game is and how little the developers think of their customers. I'm curious if they were able to play this crap without cheats. I'm adding it to my "Never-To-Reconside-Game-Franchise" bag of trash games and it sits there with the Uncharted releases.

PS: TO ANYONE STILL CONSIDERING IT, DON'T BUY/PLAY THIS GAME. THE GAME IS NOT PLAYABLE. 

Edited by MoBBurnz
Needed to add more commentary
  • Like 1

I don't know what everyone's problem is with this game. I kept reading how it was bad and hard and everything sucks, but I had no problems at all. 

Maybe you guys should use the updated combat system and not the original one? I never even bothered with the "souls like" combat system as this is a freakin hack and slash game.

I got the plat and the 100% and I had a good time doing it all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MoBBurnz said:

So ... after only 3 days, this POS game finally broke me - which is really a first for me.

I've made no progress for the past 2 days and have been dying on the same spot and being respawned miles away with 0 credits for upgrades and, because the combat mechanics of the game are so dreadfully awful, by the time I arrive at the spot where I died, I've either spent all of my health or, if I've retained it all, the mini-boss kills me because the dodge system is ineffective in evading attacks.  I'm not far into the game (just at the start of The Hallows) but after dying where I've been dying for 2 days straight with 6 hours of gameplay, I know games (even in normal mode) get progressively challenging as you advance so I'm guessing later levels will be infinitely tedious to master.

On a side note, I saw a review of the game that the shield master enemies (like in Darksiders 2) still have no stamina limits and can block attacks until kingdom come- I mean (honestly, guys though) who thought of this crap????? The other annoying design issue with Fury, when she dodges an attack, she temporarily gets charged with magic compelling her to launch an attack if you time the buttons just right. Well, this attack is not uniform at all and you have no choice of which variant of it she will perform: she can wheel in the air or (and this is one of the reasons I've died several times) she performs an unexpected uppercut, leaping miles into the air, making her vulnerable to attacks below her when she returns to surface. It's just generally bad to fight hordes in this game because of this - even in normal mode.

When I posted on this thread on Friday (2 days ago), I genuinely thought I could soldier it and do 100% trophy collection. I was overconfident and foolhardy. However, I've had to admit it to myself only a few hours ago that I'm going no where with this POS game. I swore to myself that even though I'm collecting trophies, I will play primarily for fun which is what I always try to do in my first playthrough - I never care for trophies but only in subsequent replays. For my first playthough, I focus on the storyline, graphics, the world being presented, is the combat fun to do etc. No time to do that in this onerous game. The bad save system, onerous dodge system, mediocre storyline enervate all fun from this game. 

IMO, the game is not difficult at all. I've soldiered difficult modes without tutorials and they were fun because the technical aspects of the fighting gave you a fair shot. I never thought I could do the difficult mode for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, but it was fun to do and the fair shot was enough sell for me to do. I did the Easter Eggs for CoD Advanced Warfare - they were unbelievably difficult but so much fun to do whether solo or in a group because the playground was level. This game is just a confluence of bad design, layout, horrible fighting design (the one thing they were supposed to excel in b/c it is, after all, a hack and slash game). I thought Darksiders 1 had a clichéd storyline, but the fun fighting made up for it. I enjoyed it.

With this one, it's a first for me: to admit defeat to and be humbled by mediocrity. I won't be buying/playing any DarkSiders releases in the future. I'm too scarred by how awful this game is and how little the developers think of their customers. I'm curious if they were able to play this crap without cheats. I'm adding it to my "Never-To-Reconside-Game-Franchise" bag of trash games and it sits there with the Uncharted releases.

PS: TO ANYONE STILL CONSIDERING IT, DON'T BUY/PLAY THIS GAME. THE GAME IS NOT PLAYABLE. 

Yikes!! I don't know why you have such problem on normal difficulty ( in my first play through on normal i only have two combat deaths or three if i count that damnit scribes that blast me in the toxic wasteland). Try to use the classic controls not default ones, in this mode not only you use items instantly (don't need to enter into a animation) but also you have dodge cancel.

When you face more than one enemies don't use the lock option to focus in one enemy.

For enemies that can block your attack(like the skeleton chanpions) the best move with Scorn is "Unholy Exorcism": square, delay, square (x3)

I can give many advices if you want.

Edited by ASMODAIOS344

• 4 months later...

I Think im on 10 hour play, and i can say that it, most definitely, isnt good.

I embarked on the “it cant be that bad” train, but boy, i was wrong.

I understand and even enjoy, the fact that every gamee has its own kind of gameplay, with the 1st being like Zelda with all the adventure and temple exploring, the 2nd adding a Diablo vibe with all that loot and this third as a souls game.

But its terribly executed. The only thing they got right is the fierceless of the enemies. The commands dont feel that responsive(on combat or plataforming), the camera is awful, the loading times are inexcusable. Yesterday i spent more time on loading screens than playing.

The only good thing i can say about the game is world design, that is as good as the ones before it. Cant say much about the story, because im still in the beginning, but it hanst nothing bad about it.

I’ll just finish the game, as i am a fan of the series, but dont know if im on platinum run. 

Edit: ok, i was a bit harsh with the game. Gotta admit that after some more hours, i am really enjoying it. The stiffness of the characters controls were absorved by muscle memory. 

The camera is still bad and so are the loadings, but i got over all the bad controls and gotta admit that the exploration good. 

Deffinitely gonna plat, maybe 100%

Edited by Nego_Brown_
Change of heart
  • Like 1