[Rumor] Demon's Souls Remaster

DrakeHellsing

1 hour ago, tjoe1bkhjtqxm said:

It's not a simple remastered version, it's a Remake version from Bluepoint Games

I'm sure if anyone can fuck up a game I love unconditionally, it's Bluepoint.

before demon's souls i felt like i was mainly a casual (well i still am) playing the average jrpgs, the final fantassies, the kingdom hearts, the star oceans, the pokemons. other games, then i just randomly bought this game during a PS Store sale, i wasnt really following the gaming trends so i might have heard about the souls games but didnt know what they were about. well it blew me away when i started it up and i was running around in boletaria getting my arse kicked. i notice a lot of ppl quit games, souls games in particular, when they cant get past the first or second boss or something. and then call it a bad game when they really just sucked at it

luckily i dont have that so despite me being a crap gamer i played the whole thing through (let's be honest, it's not a shmup game or ninja gaiden or anything like that) and cant describe how much i loved it. i still think about this game almost every day and very fondly so, it is one of the top 5 games i have ever played. and it really did, not ruin, but certainly made me think most of the games i played before DeS that i thought were fantastic became kinda mediocre in comparison, bc you start noticing especially with japanese rpg games in general, how many of them are still kinda stuck in (sometimes outdated) 90s game design and feel kinda formulaic despite still being really fun though. ironically, demon's souls, despite often being referred to as being a old-school retro hardcore experience, was totally revolutionary to me

the intro

the 'tutorial'
the atmosphere and constant dread
the weapon variety and item descriptions
the lore and item/enemy placement/attention to detail

the online functionality
the fool's idol, the old monk, the final 'boss', and really just the boss fights in general

most importantly, the level design and exploration

just wow, this was totally groundbreaking for me

and consider the fact that the game was failing before miyazaki stepped in, got a lukewarm reception during TGS despite the killer trailer, sony japan didnt have much faith in it and didnt bother publishing it overseas, and the FS guys themselves didnt see the game being successful. yet you play it and you can see the passion and love and soul that they put into the game.

when ppl bring up this game, i see a lot of them complaining about the tendency system and the pure bladestone droprate and im really not sure what the problem is with any of those...i guess i was just lucky dropping PBS in like an hour of farming? and the tendency you can argue is hard to manage but it is what it is, i dont dislike it, i find it an interesting system and just adds to the games's depth and esotery in a reasonable way. hey at least it's not the last remnant, the official japanese strategy guide of which has 1000 pages...

they're not going the remove the tendency system bc that's an important part of the game design. it's part of what makes demon's souls, demon's souls. you take that out, you're just homogenising the game into dark souls. same thing with the valley of defilement and lack of mobility, it's how you're supposed to traverse that world. you can see those changes as QoL changes but i would see them as fundamentally changing the game design as was intended, not a good thing

as much as i think it'd be beyond awesome if they included that supposed DLC world, i dont see it happening. the director stated he has no interest in revisiting this game (wtf?) so that is just not a thing that is going to happen. the writing and design would have to be done by FS obviously and not by the company doing the remastering

Ok people, let's think for a second, I blabered about it in another thread, Bluepoint is remaking some game but it wont be remake as we know it like Resident Evil 1 or FF7, but it will be

re-envisioning, sooo some major changes right? 

Demon Souls is a masterpiece as is and I dont really think it needs a remake, maybe a remaster, dont know why people think it would be ds and how they got to that conclusion but oh well. 

On the other hand, first Metal Gear Solid for ps1 could use a remake as its gameplay is way simpler then later sequels, so I would give mgs1 a high chance. Konami also said that they will make "normal" games so there is that. 

Same I could say for Silent Hill 1.

• 2 months later...