ff7 personal thoughts

UlvenFenrir

i think i understand why everyone likes ff7 so much. i did grow up with it and played it alot but it never stuck with me like ff9 or 10 did. (9 and 10 and 10-2 are my absolute favorites out of all of them) but replaying ff7 again after at least 20 years for the first time again i can see why its getting a remake.

i gotta admit, the story and characters in ff7 can be really cringey af at times but once you get further into the game and the characters open up more, you realise that despite the cringey writing and characters, under it all at the same time lies a great and deep story with really interesting characters and amazing world building.

the battle and materia system is great fun and i really like it.

i really cant wait for the remake now.

• Like 1

I’m going for the platinum with this game at the moment. I agree with you, the game is great, but it’s a bit outdated now. My only concern, visually anyway, is when you’re controlling the characters in the world. Other than that, the game is great (for an RPG anyway). But I don’t know if it is just me, but I’d rather play something like Destiny 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2 where you really get to control the characters in the middle of the action, rather than through commands. And for that reason, I get a little depressed while playing Final Fantasy. Am I crazy? Lol.

My childhood best friend and I played a lot of long hours playing Final Fantasy I on the NES, and Final Fantasy IV and VI on the SNES. You have to compare Final Fantasy VII to what came before it, not after it, to get the full effect of why people from that era have a strong feeling of nostalgia about it. One day he called me up after we hadn't been in contact in a few months (we were both in high school at the time) and said "Dude get over here right now!" I go over to his house, and he had a brand new PS1. He pops in Final Fantasy VII and I'm impressed just by the opening menu screen, but he says "Wait till you see a battle." He gets into a battle, summons Odin (to this day the summon sequence for Odin is my favorite one from FF7). Holy shit, Final Fantasy looked nothing like this til now. I still think FF6 has the superior story, but the camera zooms and pans during the battle sequences (which are actually cleverly disguised loading screens) made it seem more immediate and in your face back then.

• Like 2

I didn't grow up with this game, and I found nothing really interesting in it when I played as an adult. I disliked most of the characters, the setting, the antagonist's presentation, the combat, almost everything. On the other hand, Final Fantasy IX immediately won me over despite many similarities.

Hey, don’t get me wrong, I know exactly what came before FFVII. I actually beat I and II (on the PSP) and IV (on a snes emulator as FFII, so I don’t know if that counts), but I guess what I’m trying to say is that even with nostalgia factors, FFVII is a bit outdated now, despite VIII and IX looking way better. Anyway, I’ll shut up...