Social chests tips

Some years ago I stopped playing this game because I could not find a social chest and earn my trophy. Now I give it another shot and I still can't find any. Are social chests still active?

I have been following YouTube guide for hours and can't find anything. Does anyone have some tips to find those chests?

Edited by Ravers

Hey, social chests are still active, I got my trophy like 6 months ago and I found more than 5 chests just by playing normally, looks like you are just extremely unlucky. I know this will sound stupid but are you sure that you're connected to the internet? You need to see the icon in the bottom left corner(next to minimap). Here is a map of all events. Good luck?, I'm sure you will find it eventually.65071a.jpg

Edited by timpurnat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, timpurnat said:

Hey, social chests are still active, I got my trophy like 6 months ago and I found more than 5 chests just by playing normally, looks like you are just extremely unlucky. I know this will sound stupid but are you sure that you're connected to the internet? You need to see the icon in the bottom left corner(next to minimap). Here is a map of all events. Good luck1f44c.png, I'm sure you will find it eventually.65071a.jpg

I have seen this map and tried to fast travel to each spot and run around a bit looking for the chest. No luck with that either. After all this time and I can't find any chest. I am really unlucky with this trophy in particular ?

It is really important that your PS3 is connected to PSN and Ubisoft Uplay while you are trying to search for all of the social things.

Do you find "White Whales" and "Royal Convoys" while shipping through the map? If not then there seems to be a connection issue and you won't find the blue social chests also.

==> Make sure you are online: Look under the mini map to see if your wifi symbol is on. If you are unsure, go into the captains cabin, connect to the fleet and then leave.

I for myself found two social chests while playing this game 3 and 4 days ago: One inside the house in Kenway's island hideout and one on an island in the Caribbean which was in the extreme south east of the map.

Edited by Geridian

3 hours ago, Geridian said:

It is really important that your PS3 is connected to PSN and Ubisoft Uplay while you are trying to search for all of the social things.

Do you find "White Whales" and "Royal Convoys" while shipping through the map? If not then there seems to be a connection issue and you won't find the blue social chests also.

==> Make sure you are online: Look under the mini map to see if your wifi symbol is on. If you are unsure, go into the captains cabin, connect to the fleet and then leave.

I for myself found two social chests while playing this game 3 and 4 days ago: One inside the house in Kenway's island hideout and one on an island in the Caribbean which was in the extreme south east of the map.

Yeah, I am always connected and I can find whales and convoys. Must be a luck problem ?

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I heard that sometimes the social chest spawns in your bedroom at your hideout. At the beginning of sequence 4, decided to check for the hell of it and there it was. Trophy dinged. I found another one at a different time as well.

I heard that the bedroom on our hideout was a good spot. Been looking there too with no luck until now.

• 3 months later...
On 3.10.2019 at 10:57 PM, RoxasOnFire said:

I've mention this in another thread but on the ps4 and ps3 versions I just kept reloading the main base and eventually one showed up there.

Hi, I have been looking for the chest for awhile but no luck. So I was thinking i could try your method, but how exactly do you do it? Stand by the chest in the hideout then exit to main menu and the renter single player? Or do you have to go into multiplayer before rentering?

1 hour ago, pikaopas said:

Hi, I have been looking for the chest for awhile but no luck. So I was thinking i could try your method, but how exactly do you do it? Stand by the chest in the hideout then exit to main menu and the renter single player? Or do you have to go into multiplayer before rentering?

I did it on Xbox way back in the day. You have to log into multiplayer, then go back to single player and check to see if a social chest appears in the bedroom on the hideout in Great Inagua. Rinse and repeat. It can take a while but eventually you'll get it to spawn.

2 hours ago, AFRising said:

I did it on Xbox way back in the day. You have to log into multiplayer, then go back to single player and check to see if a social chest appears in the bedroom on the hideout in Great Inagua. Rinse and repeat. It can take a while but eventually you'll get it to spawn.

Yeah you just need the server to reset. I think just exiting to the main menu and to where the press start screen shows up and it logs you in again. 

On 18/01/2020 at 10:26 AM, RoxasOnFire said:

Yeah you just need the server to reset. I think just exiting to the main menu and to where the press start screen shows up and it logs you in again. 

I tried this today on PS4. For the server to reset you need to close the application and restart the game. Takes just as long as going back to the main screen so no real issue there...HOWEVER after a dozen tries I couldn't get the chest at the house or the beach (both at the Great Inagua) to appear.

I suspect as this game isn't big on Ubisoft's agenda anymore it wouldn't have a huge number of servers dedicated to this game, which would mean each time we log in these days there is a good chance you are logging in and out of the same server, which would only be maintaining chests in certain areas.

I'm currently sitting on 92% with 2/3 social chests found. I think I'm going to complete the rest of the game in the hope I get lucky and stumble on one in the next few missions. Failing that I think I'll grind it out using the map going around from Oct last year.

15 hours ago, Becisme said:

I tried this today on PS4. For the server to reset you need to close the application and restart the game. Takes just as long as going back to the main screen so no real issue there...HOWEVER after a dozen tries I couldn't get the chest at the house or the beach (both at the Great Inagua) to appear.

I suspect as this game isn't big on Ubisoft's agenda anymore it wouldn't have a huge number of servers dedicated to this game, which would mean each time we log in these days there is a good chance you are logging in and out of the same server, which would only be maintaining chests in certain areas.

I'm currently sitting on 92% with 2/3 social chests found. I think I'm going to complete the rest of the game in the hope I get lucky and stumble on one in the next few missions. Failing that I think I'll grind it out using the map going around from Oct last 

That sucks man,  I know it only took me like 2 or 3 loads to get it to pop up at the base. Same thing when I did the ps3 version. That sucks bc I never saw any on the world map. I think on the ps3 at launch I may have seen one on a random island but never on ps4.

On 21/01/2020 at 10:07 PM, Ravers said:

This trophy is a pain to get... I was so desesperate to get this trophy back in October when I created this post. My advice would be to completly ignore the server reset and hideout method and follow this playlist:

So, I managed to find the last one I needed today about 2 minutes before this post at Santanillas (215,242). Ended up using the map (mostly to keep track of the places I had visited) in combo with the above videos. Feels good to not have to grind that anymore... now onto the tedious minigames. ?

I 100% completed the game on PS4 some days and I got 3 social chests in total, while working on other trophies. The first chest spawned on a very small island between 2 forts. The other 2 chests at the entrance of different smuggler dens.

My advice is not to stress too much, just play the game and try to visit all small island on your way if you are sailing, or known spawning spots if you are close.

There may be nothing to this, but I was initially having this issue...I struggled mightily to find social loot (whales, convoys, chests). Then I added my friends who had played the game and others from my friend list as friends in my Club account. I then readily found social loot with my expanded Club friend list. I felt like the game was using social loot as a way to motivate others to join in Black Flag. I had no problem finding 3 chests, and more, afterwards. The difference was stark for me, but others may not have luck with this strategy. This was on the PS3 version, for what that's worth.

Edited by bigrake1

On 29/01/2020 at 6:02 PM, Becisme said:

So, I managed to find the last one I needed today about 2 minutes before this post at Santanillas (215,242). Ended up using the map (mostly to keep track of the places I had visited) in combo with the above videos. Feels good to not have to grind that anymore... now onto the tedious minigames. 1f644.png

So just finishing the last task for 100% (digging up all the treasure) and whadda know, I find another chest ???. Castillo de Jack a (333,332). PS4