Joker is such a sad movie

EdwardTheMartyr

I saw it twice on opening night, so yeah, put me down as a fan. Basically my life without the vengeful aspect. Joaquin Phoenix really channels the pain well. The bleakness rings true to life.

I'm glad it's breaking opening records this month. I love when R-rated comic book movies do well at the box office. Joker, Logan, Deadpool...they all try something different and are some of the best examples of the genre. It shows that people want more of this kind of thing, despite what the moral outrage police (a very vocal minority) say.

• Like 4

I saw it yesterday and I must admit that I was truly impressed with Phoenix's acting. I mean, basically every scene in which he laughs (willingly or not) made me feel uncomfortable, especially when you could clearly see he was not laughing from joy but because of his issue. And those dancing scenes! I left the cinema really touched by this movie.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

I agree great movie with terrific acting all around. It’s unfortunate it’s getting the “What do we hate this month” SJW crowd.

this always seems to help these movies out though, this and Alita went on to do well even though the "offended at everything" crowd had a go at them.

It's basically a stamp of approve from them that the film will be good. ?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

this always seems to help these movies out though, this and Alita went on to do well even though the "offended at everything" crowd had a go at them.

It's basically a stamp of approve from them that the film will be good. 1f602.png

That is true.

But there is no denying that this SJW way of thinking has hurt the entertainment industry for the worse. 1 or 2 movies getting by and being the movies that they were envisioned could’ve been 10 or 20.

I don’t have a problem with female leads or anything of the sort. I have a problem with characters being called characters based on their gender or sexual orientation. But that is not a discussion that is to be had here.

Joker is a great movie because of the tremendous acting and you can see the process of Arthur becoming the Joker. His character comes through his hardships and his breaking point. Not the color of his skin or because he was dating a woman that didn’t exist. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

It's basically a stamp of approve from them that the film will be good. 1f602.png

Alita was getting hated on? I didn't notice any of that.

Saw this last night  and have to say Phoenix's characterisation of the Joker is arguably better than that og Heath Ledger's portrayal.  Having said that, this film's focus was a deep dive into the Joker's traits and personality far more than what we saw in the Dark Knight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, not to be the negative nelly, but I hated this movie. The Joker is one of my favorite villains of all time, because he's a villain. He doesn't have that moral mushiness that Marvel always has. He's a force of evil, and we're lacking those people in comics and entertainment. I've grown tired of the, "He's a villain, because of circumstance." Whatever happened to being bad, because you're bad? We don't need personality traits. I loved Nolan's Joker, because he understood this. How many times in the Dark Knight did the Joker lie about his upbringing, or his life before? And this wasn't the first time, either. In the Batman animated series, there was a great episode where Harley (as a psychiatrist) is talking to Batman about the Joker's past, and Batman just laughs and says, "Oh, so that's his story now?"

We need more Anton Chigurhs in our movies, and less of this victim of circumstance crap.

That being said, I despise the snowflakes who complain that this movie might inspire people to do evil. Apparently, just like the Joker movie, people can't be held responsible for their own actions. It's gotta be the fault of something they watched, or heard, or played!

I always thought Batman was a self righteous jerk who cared more about feeling good than actually doing good.

16 minutes ago, hsn963 said:

Planning to go see the movie tomorrow, for those who saw it

- Is this considered canon, or is it set in adifferent universe?

- Are there any horror elements and aspects (my wife can't handle'em)?

Definitely a different universe. Batman and this Joker will never meet.

As far as horror elements, not really. You won't see skinned people. The movie is (or tries to be) disturbing by its nature.

13 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Well, not to be the negative nelly, but I hated this movie. The Joker is one of my favorite villains of all time, because he's a villain. He doesn't have that moral mushiness that Marvel always has. He's a force of evil, and we're lacking those people in comics and entertainment. I've grown tired of the, "He's a villain, because of circumstance." Whatever happened to being bad, because you're bad? We don't need personality traits. I loved Nolan's Joker, because he understood this. How many times in the Dark Knight did the Joker lie about his upbringing, or his life before? And this wasn't the first time, either. In the Batman animated series, there was a great episode where Harley (as a psychiatrist) is talking to Batman about the Joker's past, and Batman just laughs and says, "Oh, so that's his story now?"

We need more Anton Chigurhs in our movies, and less of this victim of circumstance crap.

That being said, I despise the snowflakes who complain that this movie might inspire people to do evil. Apparently, just like the Joker movie, people can't be held responsible for their own actions. It's gotta be the fault of something they watched, or heard, or played!

One of the best posts you’ve made in a long time. Well said. 

My problem is the Joker is overly exposed. Think of all the forms of media that have used him in the past decade. The Batman Arkham videogames. The TellTale Batman Games. The Dark Knight trilogy. The various forms of fan fiction and fan fare that use him. On and on.

I’m tired of hearing about him. He’s the most respected villain and one of the most well crafted villains of all time. Everybody knows this. I enjoyed Mark Hamill’s performance as the Joker in the Arkhams. The actor who played the Joker in TellTale did a fine job as well. 

This Joker movie is clear proof Hollywood has no real ideas anymore and they’re just rehashing what has worked in the past in various superhero/super villain blockbusters. They can’t even take characters from comic books who aren’t so readily exposed who can be interesting set pieces in a big movie. It’s always the same popular and well known heroes and villains because it’s all about the money and the ratings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

This Joker movie is clear proof Hollywood has no real ideas anymore and they’re just rehashing what has worked in the past in various superhero/super villain blockbusters. They can’t even take characters from comic books who aren’t so readily exposed who can be interesting set pieces in a big movie. It’s always the same popular and well known heroes and villains because it’s all about the money and the ratings. 

Joker has certainly been overdone, but I'd rather have a well done Joker film than the junk we get from Marvel like Captain Marvel and Black Panther. We've also got a bunch of films with heroes and villains that are unfamiliar to non-comic book readers such as Thanos, Ultron, Dr. Strange and the Guardians of the Galaxy. When you think about it, the average viewer is probably not familiar with the majority of these characters outside of their respective films.

The problem with Hollywood is its obsession with trying to make every film a political statement. I haven't watched it yet, but Joker seems to have been able to avoid this because Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix don't seem too fond of that nonsense. Look at the upcoming Birds of Prey film. Sure it's going to have less exposed characters like Black Mask and the Huntress, but it's already being made clear the film is intended to be feminist with some kind of take on "toxic masculinity".

• Like 4

Just now, ObliviousSenpai said:

Joker has certainly been overdone, but I'd rather have a well done Joker film than the junk we get from Marvel like Captain Marvel and Black Panther. We've also got a bunch of films with heroes and villains that are unfamiliar to non-comic book readers such as Thanos, Ultron, Dr. Strange and the Guardians of the Galaxy. When you think about it, the average viewer is probably not familiar with the majority of these characters outside of their respective films.

The problem with Hollywood is its obsession with trying to make every film a political statement. I haven't watched it yet, but Joker seems to have been able to avoid this because Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix don't seem too fond of that nonsense. Look at the upcoming Birds of Prey film. Sure it's going to have less exposed characters like Black Mask and the Huntress, but it's already being made clear the film is intended to be feminist with some kind of take on "toxic masculinity".

The writing and the subject matter isn't my issue with the Joker movie. It's the character himself, and how much he's been overdone.

Yeah I mean sure, some films have those not so well known heroes and villains and some people might even consider them a little obscure. But cmon, at least come up with somebody new. I used to dabble in some comic books and a couple of the characters you mentioned are a little familiar to me.

I'm sure the Joker movie itself is good in the message it's trying to convey, but with all the forms of media we've had this past decade featuring the Joker I'm just not moved by it. It's a re-imagining of Joker himself.

That seems to be an obsession with a lot of younger filmmakers and particularly with the millennial generation who is only just starting to get into filmmaking. Take something that worked in the past to great success like the Joker character, completely change him around to either be completely different but really good, or a piss poor half assed watered down version of him.

The political statements are a good reason why I don't want most Hollywood films anymore. Too much shit nowadays is too serious and much too catered to a certain agenda.

I miss when films like The Goodfellas and The Green Mile could just sell the story and provide high quality acting and those were good enough to sell. A lot of modern television shows try to make some form of political statement to side with the feminists or the highly conservatives who have a military background. It sickens me and I can't stand that crap. The Sopranos, my #1 favorite television show of all time, wasn't nearly as preachy and it didn't need some damn statement to keep viewers watching.

• Like 2