A L I E N :Isolation 5th Anniversary, Appreciation Thread

r3viladdict

I gotta wait. Gotta wait, just a few more hours and it’s not even 7th of October today yet. Ah fuck it, I’ll do it now. It’ll come really soon lel. This year marks the 5th anniversary of the NA release of A L I E N :Isolation. Published by SEGA and developed by Creative Assembly, A L I EN :Isolation is a first-person survival horror that put emphasis heavily on stealth, craft-able items, and the motion tracker you’d use it as your best friend to help you to get through the game. I always thought it’s an unmatched horror experience to any other survival horror I’ve played, but perhaps closely, Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly, the classic trilogy of Resident Evil AKA Biohazard where the monsters jump out of the window that only gives a couple of rapidly heartbeat moments based on my experience, and RE2make was pretty good considering how incredibly frightening the zombies look and how high threat they are in but A L I E N: Isolation is the MOST terrifying and stressful game I’ve ever played than any other horror games. It does a great job of fearing the xenomorph in the entirely game, and you’d feel like being stalked no matter where you’d be at. The unpredictability of AI is being insanely tense, just way more god-damn tense even on the normal difficulty. And, on the bright note, it captures perfectly the feeling of the first movie which is a huge plus for me, thus I keep going back to it and appreciate all these details to the attitude. It’s easily one of the BEST survival horror games ever made and I know it’s one of those games I’d play over again and again.

Admittedly, I didn’t get to try it early that time it released. It got bad reviews I remember and I followed some people who played it said it’s way too hard, Outlast ripoff, stuff like they said kinda had me thought of the flashback of the fan’s uproaring over A:CM so I thought I wouldn't want to waste any money on it. I can’t believe this. I really can't fuckin' believe this. so eventually, I’ve bought it 4 times, and probably will get the PC version. hell, if they'd remaster it for the next-gen console, and re-release in the VR 2.00, I'd preorder both.

TL;DR, basically what I said that it's the best thing to come out outta A L I E N universe in years. What are your fond memories of A L I E N: Isolation? What were your first reaction to this officially announcement they made back at EGX Rezzed 2014?

6JBt.gif 

(the other thread I created regarding the Isolation novel) 

I regrettably haven’t finished it yet, but I only read first few chapters and it’s really out of order unlikely the game, but it’s not bad. I kept buying a few more A L I E N comics and I started reading them more compared to it and suddenly, I got myself sinking into the high level of the hype people made for Death Stranding, The Last of Us: Part II, and Borderlands 3. Hence all these hypes lead me to cease all about those novels/comics I have in my backlog and it’s incredibly difficult to avoid the hype for a while. I know a few people asked for my thoughts on Isolation in a formatted novel over there in the thread, so sorry about that. I’ll get back to it and share my finalized thoughts, but I wouldn’t want to rush it.

I’ve posted this exactly on other groups if you've seen it. I thought I’d want to share this with you even if there were only a few fans here, anyway.  

• Like 2

Although I love the game very, very much, after a few playthroughs I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the game. If they made it like 5/6 hours shorter (the first playthrough took me like 19/20 thanks to backtracking), and actually implemented suspense, like in the first 2/3 hours of the game, it would have been a perfect survival horror game. But after you acquire the flamethrower, the difficulty drops down from 7/10 to 3/10 but the irritation goes fucking bananas. Having to backtrack so many times, and move around the station for so long, and almost always you are stalked by the Alien, it gets boring sooner rather than later. I'm not even gonna touch on the other aspects, every fan of the universe who played Isolation knows that's one of the best things that happened to the gaming side of the franchise. 

• Like 1

Cant wait for it come to Switch and wish they released it in VR

Ive read/listened all the Alien books, even the recent Alien Isolation book and I found that book to be pretty bad actually. 

The book skips a lot of stuff, but it does provide a few interesting snippets of backstory.

Probably one of my top 10 of the 2010s, indeed. In fact, I've got the Japanese stack on the way as we speak. Was planning on getting it digitally but I didn't know about the CERO authentication bullshit on the JP PS Store until it was too late. I've had bad luck with physical JP copies arriving in a timely fashion, if at all, but we'll see.

Not reading all of that but showing my support. Has to be one of the best horror games on console and especially so this generation.

Would be outstanding if they developed this into a series, as it'd hold me over decently this generation with the Dead Space hiatus.