Ultimate Collector Question

PFinchen

So, I’ve never played much MyTeam, and I’m curious how insane it is to pursue this trophy? I’ve done about 20 challenge games and a few domination games, snatched every daily login bonus since release, and I’m up to 100 cards thus far. I believe you need something like 2,950 cards for the trophy, does this represent a vast majority of all cards available in the game? Am I on the right track or should I not sink the time?

It is a long grind, and they upped GOAT from 2500 cards last year to 2900 cards this year.  That seems like a huge jump which makes me think that they are releasing a lot more cards this year - unless 2K just screwed up things.

You are on the right track.  You will want to complete all Domination games and whatever other challenge games give you rewards cards.  And find deals on the Auction House for your collection and/or to flip cards to earn coins to buy more.

If it is like most years, by the end they usually have 400-500 (estimate?) cards than needed for GOAT so that you can skip the most expensive cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

It is a long grind, and they upped GOAT from 2500 cards last year to 2900 cards this year.  That seems like a huge jump which makes me think that they are releasing a lot more cards this year - unless 2K just screwed up things.

You are on the right track.  You will want to complete all Domination games and whatever other challenge games give you rewards cards.  And find deals on the Auction House for your collection and/or to flip cards to earn coins to buy more.

If it is like most years, by the end they usually have 400-500 (estimate?) cards than needed for GOAT so that you can skip the most expensive cards.

Awesome, thanks for the information!! I play enough career mode to be able to buy a lot of packs with VC, and I plan on doing all of the challenges and domination, I just wasn’t ready to commit to playing a ton of triple threat and unlimited games unless I had to. Glad to hear it’s plausible! 

On 10/7/2019 at 6:32 PM, PFinchen said:

So, I’ve never played much MyTeam, and I’m curious how insane it is to pursue this trophy? I’ve done about 20 challenge games and a few domination games, snatched every daily login bonus since release, and I’m up to 100 cards thus far. I believe you need something like 2,950 cards for the trophy, does this represent a vast majority of all cards available in the game? Am I on the right track or should I not sink the time?

You are definitely on the right track I would say. I'll share a couple additional things I am doing:

I have done each of the spotlight challenges so far, evolving all of the applicable cards to their highest level before selling them back. You need each card in the set to be able to do the final challenge, so it is somewhat of an investment, with the Drexler pack being the most expensive so far at around 300k. Luckily you don't need to lock in the cards though. So far, I only sell back the evolution and amythest cards from each set - everything else is usually so cheap that it's better to just have them in your collection and view it as an investment. Maybe they raise in price later on when the packs are gone and you can sell them for a massive profit, but if not it counts toward your collector level. You'll gain a lot of MT from doing this, and at least 4 exclusive reward cards per set. I have tracked my expenditure and profits from each set so far, and I've managed in excess of 75k profit for all 3, with the Wade pack being well above 100k in MT gains for my team, plus 10 cards (4 free reward, 6 from the premium set) still in my collection.

Continue to do all the single player challenges that are released weekly as well, and when the season starts and we see more new moments challenges you definitely want to do those ASAP since those are limited time. So far these have been great avenues for MT and tokens, and are also easy enough games that you can usually work on some evolutions.

Whenever a new pack is released, I'll wait a couple days and scoop up the cheapest ones in the set - you can usually find one or two cards from each set for around 2k, but something like the Multi-dimensional pack from a few weeks ago I was able to grab around 6 at that price or lower. Treat these as an investment just like the Spotlight packs and if they dramatically rise in price later, consider selling them.

I have been selling all silvers so far since at the minimum you can get around 3k for them. Some of them are actually well over 10k in value (particularly for teams with no amethyst or ruby players such as Thunder and Hawks.) They should drop in price later in the year, so it will be worthwhile to buy them back at that point. If you have any NBA '20 Amethysts, now is the time to sell them as they should continue to plummet in value over the next few months.

Play triple threat offline. It's a good way to earn MT and probably the best way to evolve your cards, particularly if they have a games played requirement.

When you get free agents from the triple threat/daily login packs, never use them! They count toward your collector level, but vanish when their initial contracts expire. You can reacquire them in future packs but it is RNG, and besides you don't really need them anyways.

At the moment I wouldn't suggest playing a lot of online (Unlimited or Triple Threat) unless you genuinely enjoy it. There are lots of server issues and bugs, and there are just a handful of exclusive rewards in those modes, with the ones for unlimited requiring you to win 12 consecutive games online.

When you have a lineup you are comfortable with, consider using tokens to buy up the cheaper rewards on the token market instead of grinding towards the Galaxy Opal tier. There's one collector reward level later in the grind that awards 750 tokens. That's one galaxy opal, or 55 cards from emerald to diamond if you bought only the minimum number of cards required from each tier to that point. If you are going for this trophy, the latter is the easy option.

Edited by Andrea9281
  • Like 2

Good stuff @Andrea9281.

Outside unlocking the initial Evolution card, I have not gone through any of the Spotlight challenges because the investment for some of the cards seemed like too much.  I may re-consider it.  I think the prices will go down over time as better cards get released as players who upgrade to a Amethyst aren't very good comparatively.

I would also add that it is very worthwhile to do the multiplayer weekly challenges that expire.  I missed a couple, but you can get one for 6 tokens each week and sometimes only takes 5 minutes as if you get a early lead, your opponent often quits!  I overlooked these and missed out on 12 easy tokens which can get you unique cards and build yourself up the Reward board.

I locked in a lot of normal collections for tokens, ones without Amethyst (prices will drop substantially as you noted) and any higher priced Ruby's (those will be quick sell value soon enough).  Silvers will be the most expensive and while their prices will drop some from where they are now, they usually hold their value all year long so look at prices before purchasing.  2-3K for more common ones, and nothing over 5K for the more expensive ones.  Some are price locked like the Thunder, just avoid those for now.  Also, remember if you see a player way less than what all of his others are listed for and even if you already own it, buy and flip.

I like the addition of Evolution cards, however, they are making what would be cheap cards a lot more expensive.  One additional note, Heat Check card prices are ridiculous.  Avoid those, they will come down in time as those packs get released.

• Like 2

I've already completed all NBA collections and Heat Check collections.  It takes a while, but it's worth spending an hour or so in the auction house to try to snipe cards.  You can even get some silver cards that are easily worth 10K+ MT.  I just need to do Triple Threat offline and Domination

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 2

Wow, thank you very much for the level of detail here! I feel much more confident in pursuing this trophy. Definitely plan to continue doing challenges, and will slowly but surely progress through triple threat offline and domination. Thanks to my addiction to MyPlayer mode, I rack up a ton of VC for buying packs. While that currency doesn’t translate to the auction house, I’m selling all my duplicates to help convert some of the VC to MyTeam points. I think I’ll be able to claw my way there if I keep at it. 

2 hours ago, grimydawg said:

I've already completed all NBA collections and Heat Check collections.  It takes a while, but it's worth spending an hour or so in the auction house to try to snipe cards.  You can even get some silver cards that are easily worth 10K+ MT.  I just need to do Triple Threat offline and Domination

Woah, that is a lot of MT and/or VC but congrats on knocking those out already.

27 minutes ago, PFinchen said:

Wow, thank you very much for the level of detail here! I feel much more confident in pursuing this trophy. Definitely plan to continue doing challenges, and will slowly but surely progress through triple threat offline and domination. Thanks to my addiction to MyPlayer mode, I rack up a ton of VC for buying packs. While that currency doesn’t translate to the auction house, I’m selling all my duplicates to help convert some of the VC to MyTeam points. I think I’ll be able to claw my way there if I keep at it. 

Yeah, there will be times where it feels like you are making no or very limited progress to the goal.  But just realize that prices of (nearly) all cards go down over time and you are in it for the long haul.  This will not likely happen until near the end of the playoffs as there are so many cards yet to be released.  

Like it would be pretty easy completing now on NBA 2K19 because there are many Galaxy Opal cards selling for cheap.  The market gets flooded with high end cards pushing down the price of all other gemstone cards (and less popular galaxy opal cards too).  So you are just setting the foundation now so it will be less of a grind when the market turns into a buyer's market.  It will stay a seller's market for quite awhile yet as not many high end cards have been released and people are desperate for players or for collection rewards.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, djb5f said:

Woah, that is a lot of MT and/or VC but congrats on knocking those out already.

I haven't spent as much VC on packs like I have in the past.  I'll play the game like two hours a night and snipe for about 30-1 hour.  I made a huge profit in some cases.  I even sniped a Brandon Roy for about 80K MT and sold him for nearly 200K.  You just have to be real lucky.

• Like 1

I recommend selling your silver players now which are worth so much and buy them later on when the value goes way down, take this game like the stock market 

I have bought vc and i have around 400 cards, this will be a grind for me since i get very bored of single player after a few games

2 hours ago, Su_premacy said:

I recommend selling your silver players now which are worth so much and buy them later on when the value goes way down, take this game like the stock market 

I have bought vc and i have around 400 cards, this will be a grind for me since i get very bored of single player after a few games

Judging by other years, silvers are usually the cards that hold their value best.  

They are typically price locked for the year (and people still overpay for them to complete collections) whereas all other cards go down in price as they keep releasing better cards.