My Trophy Road Map for BG1

skroq

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got my plat, just wanted to say: big thank you for this roadmap, it helped me do it in 1 day, 13 hours :D *

Couldn't really do the last sections with this class, though, so I did that thing where I lure Sarevok into the centre, and then sacrifice somebody to circle around the skull trap while insvisible. Bhaal style.

Edit: before criticism: yes, I have enjoyed this game previously on PC many-many times.

Edited by fbdbh

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, I've played BG years ago on PC (a few times) and now also on PS4. I used a little trick to give you a head start in the beginning. You can read about it on Gamebanshee.

Start off with creating you character. I have a fighter with 18/00 strength so I can carry 400 lbs.

Start the game and go inside, talk to Firebead 30 times and he'll give you 300 gp, go buy your equipment. Next, go upstairs and grab the Potion of Clarity.

Drink the potion (it will protect you from Firebeads spells), go back down and attack Firebead, he's worth 2700 xp and this will bring you to lvl 2 if you kill him. Go outside, kill some guards, take their plate armor and export character.

This is all described on Gamebanshee but what I added are the plates from the guards, 2nd time you start the game, sell them, buy some potions of healing/antidode/.. and repeat the above.

After about 5 times I started my game with a lvl 5 fighter, full plate mail, a lot of potions and 5 Travelers robes from Firebead and as much plates as I could carry to sell for some money. Before I left Candlekeep I bought a full loadout for Imoen and if you want, you can save 2 plate armors for Khalid and Jaheira as well. All characters you'll meet later on and add to your party will get an instant lvl up of a few levels.

So if you want to go faster through the game for some cleanup of throphies you missed, this might help you.

Also your character might be a higher level if you start another playthrough on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, got the platinum this guide helped a lot, it’s not perfect but it was pretty good. 

Maybe you should have insisted on not recruiting most companions, because I did and I had some struggles here and there, like the best/worst day ever trophies because Edwin was underleveled. I also had to kill Minsc pretty early because he grew impatient of me not saving Dynaheir (ironically I was on my way to it). Also precise on the fact the alignment really matters, that lawful gives you a +2 rep from the start (doesn’t matter too much overall but it made me wonder things before I understood), and you need to be of good alignement to use Drizzt’s sword Twinkle, no biggie though since you can still use Icingdeath (which I duped for my LoB playthrough). I made myself true neutral so I missed in both and I son’t think I gained anything.

These were some minor inconviniences but still, it made me scratch my head a lot. Another thing is for the LoB speedrun you missed the whole step of going through the Flaming fist HQ after sneaking in the Iron Keep HQ, then Eltan sending you to Candlekeep which you have to escape, then back to Flaming fist HQ, then to the assassins in the Undercity… no biggie again just had to look somewhere else because I couldn’t remember where to go. Even for the normal playthrough sometimes it’s been hard to keep up with the characters and locations but I don’t remember precise examples for that.

Talking about LoB, I’d like to share my own experience. I suck at this game, I really do. I never played it before mind, but I ended up so frustrated with the combat system that I just switched to story mode after like 5 hours because I just couldn’t take any more of me dying all the time. Didn’t really help me understand combat much more tbh. But I followed the recommendations and prepared carefully with an extra mile. First I duped the tomes so I made my character have all ability scores to 25, it kinda helped I assume. Also had some of the best items in the game duped, and fully charged if magic: sandthief ring, green medalion, the ring that gives free movement, cheetah boots, Drizzt’s armor and Icingdeath*4 just in case of breaking. Also had all the recommended potions*24 for the few last fights besides the ability potions since I was capped from the tomes, although I’m not sure if it was that useful, I only used them against Sarevok because it’s a bother to gulp them all everytime, and I didn’t feel it needed elsewhere.

As an extra though, I added this:

- scroll of magic protection*24: very useful to pop in all the few dungeons you go through BEFORE your potion of invisibility or sandthief ring, it makes you immune to traps basically 

- Durlag’s goblet and Kiel helmet, both found in Durlag tower. Goblet makes you recover all your life, very practical when you have 150+ Hp like me, or even 200+ with potion of heroism/power, issue is it inflicts a morale loss comparable to fear so your character runs everywhere unresponsive, it kinda sucks but Kiel’s helmet is meant to negate it so you could just swap helmets, drink it, swap helmets back. Only issue is I never even tried it, I didnt feel the need, maybe I could have at the last fight to save my guys but I didn’t bother as it was easy win. First it has 6 uses but if you sell and buy it back you get 20, pretty handy on paper but can’t really vouch for it unless I go test it later, and edit this post…

- nymph cape: I got this idea from the speedrun video and mixed it up to this guide, basically his strategy was to use that to charm bosses and throw them into groups of enemies, although I tried it with Mulhaley and was unimpressed at the speed the kobold killed him, plus he ended up killing them all. So I came up with my own spin to it: I charm the boss, but instead of throwing them into enemies, I just take him in my group, find an empty corner far from their minions and gank him up with my 6 half orcs dual Icingdeath wielders max score and whatever else. They just can’t do anything 1 vs 6, plus by the time they become hostile again they already lost half their HP. Worked great with Mulhaley, Davaeorn, the assassins in the Undercity…

For the doppel fight with Belt and Lilia I also used the cape but not like in the video because I had some weird glitches, either of them not wanting to talk after I killed the doppel, or Sarevok not triggering his dialogue, also an almost instant game over when I tried to kill him before he turned hostile, so again I did things my own way, I put the main character away so he wouldnt die, I charmed all the flaming fist members in the room (there are 5 or 6, it’s possible to charm them all before the dialogues but if you order each character to do one they will be charmed by the time the doppels become hostile anyway). Then again I ganked with my party of 5+6 mercs, they had no chance, each died in seconds one after the other.

So yeah actually ganking works great against almost anything, I was used to getting destroyed in normal at the start of the game, but OP endgame characters just can just kill anything like that. So I just did the same with Sarevok last fight. I put main away so no early game over, I gulped every type of potion I had+scroll of magic protection, ending with sandthief ring for invisibility. I sneaked up on Sarevok invisible, didn’t care about any other dude and just ganked him to death. He put up a good fight compared to the others, still he only killed one out of five and a second barb was close to death. I’m not sure if his minions did much but I couldn’t care less because he died in like 15 seconds. I’m pretty sure they could have been charmed with the cape too if I would have tried. But as soon as Sarevok dies it’s over.

Well just to sum this up, don’t lose hope even if you feel like you struggle in the combat system like me and worry a lot about it. With careful preparation you will surpass LoB easily, I think it took me more time to prepare the perfect guys and dupe all the stuff so they have full quantity, than to run through it. And some weren’t even needed probably, like Durlag’s goblet or having full quivers and bows for each ready just in case, or full wands of parlyze and monster summoning because I saw people said they had a good time with that, even if that meant giving up one barb to take on a mage since those stupid barbs can’t use wands… I didn’t do it in the end, it’s really do-able as is, just abusing invisibility, and ganking at the right moment. You will get it, no worries.

So thanks again for the guide, and all the little tips here and there I could grab, that made it a breeze. I’ll follow up with the other games and hopefully have as good a time as I had doing LoB.

Edited by GastNDorf

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the amazing guide, this along with the trueachievement guide and Bandy Wolfdyne's video guide made the achievement a lot easier. There is a setting called "default damage" you can turn off and your characters will take less damage.

You can literally run through most of the game invisible. Wands also make the game a lot easier. I was stuck on the last boss for a bit, but it is mostly trial and error. Spamming summons also helps a lot. Make sure to duplicate enough potions (magic resist and invisibility) and wands (summons, paralysis and damage ones) before starting the game.

Edited by blackf1re-
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Phew, I'm a little frustrated here. Followed your guide step-by-step - thank you tons! - but now I'm stuck in LoB for the final trophy ... I just cannot get past the bandit camp. It's no issue to get inside the main tent and even charm one of the foes but whatever I do, my characters keep and keep missing 80% of the hits while the enemies dump me in three hits. I just cannot seem to beat them and I have no idea how to progress. :<

Edited by triplejmzu8