Trophy + Game thoughts.

iGGTheEnd

I have had this pre-ordered on PS4 for a while now,  honestly the pre-order theme is one of the sexiest themes I have as well and the background music with the theme is nice and calming.

This weekend I was bored and all I wanted was to play this game so I decided to get it on PC while I waited for the PS4 release.

If you are a fan of roguelikes/lites this game is a must buy, the art style alone would have sold me on this game but it is a ton of fun as well. It takes around 15 hours to finish the main story of the game and the trophies really aren't that hard to get but some of them seem to be a bit grindy.

I only did one playthrough and didn't go back to any dungeons after finishing except the first dungeon to see how fast I could kill the boss late game because I don't want to get burnt out on the game before the PS4 release.  Just from playing the game I have %65 of the steam achievements.  The ones I have left can basically be speed run from the looks of it as you can just keep re-doing dungeons while ignoring enemies.    

None of these trophies are very hard, even the kill a boss without taking a hit is easy because late game you can go back to the first dungeon and kill the boss in less than 5 seconds

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, InDebt3Fiddy said:

the finish the game in co op trophy puts me off if im being honest I was hyped for this game for awhile but I may pass not 100 per cent sure just yet what I will do 

Well the trophy is just for finishing A dungeon in co-op so perhaps it's something that could be quickly boosted. I don't like co-op trophies either but hopefully this one won't be much of an obstacle. 

Edited by Killbomb

15 minutes ago, InDebt3Fiddy said:

the finish the game in co op trophy puts me off if im being honest I was hyped for this game for awhile but I may pass not 100 per cent sure just yet what I will do 

It is just a dungeon,  apparently enemies have more health in co-op but late game when you have level 20 characters you could just use 2 controllers and do the first dungeon quickly no problem.

7 minutes ago, Killbomb said:

Well the trophy is just for finishing A dungeon in co-op so perhaps it's something that could be quickly boosted. I don't like co-op trophies either but hopefully this one won't be much of an obstacle. 

Early game it might be hard but once you have leveled characters you can just do an earlier dungeon with 2 controllers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killbomb said:

Really liking this game so far. Always feel like I'm making progress somewhere so no time is wasted like in some roguelikes/lites. 

Ya, also you miss some story if you progress too quickly so dieing more ends up showing you more of the side story.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... Interrsted on buying this game... So trophy-wise questions:

-Is there any missable trophies?

-Seeing that it's rarity is uncommon, I am on fence if I will buy it at full price, or wait for a price drop, how many hours is needed for the plat?

-do you need a second controller to get the plat or is it doable solo?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

@dieselmanchild I do think it's a good step into at least introducing yourself to some of the elements of roguelike games, and I would highly recommend it. Items are useful in this game and there are some winning combinations that you can pick up, but if you take the time to really learn the different character skills and enemy attack patterns (like any game in this genre) you'll really set yourself up for success. I would say one bonus in kind of checking out the genre through this game is that the game encourages experimentation through playing as multiple characters. There is a mechanic where if you play as a character too often the game will put a debuff on that character's health for a while, encouraging you to branch out. But trying out multiple characters is also smart since their unlocked traits carry across to all other characters too. The trophies are relatively straightforward as well, and the added feature of co-op is nice. :) Hope at least some of this information was helpful, always feel free to reach out to me if you need further assistance/encouragement.

25 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

would this be a good step into the roguelike genre for someone like me who I hasn’t really played any before?

This is not really a roguelike imo. You have a steady level by level progression. It is somewhat similar though. The game is great and worth playing.

1 hour ago, Lawless_Llama said:

@dieselmanchild I do think it's a good step into at least introducing yourself to some of the elements of roguelike games, and I would highly recommend it. Items are useful in this game and there are some winning combinations that you can pick up, but if you take the time to really learn the different character skills and enemy attack patterns (like any game in this genre) you'll really set yourself up for success. I would say one bonus in kind of checking out the genre through this game is that the game encourages experimentation through playing as multiple characters. There is a mechanic where if you play as a character too often the game will put a debuff on that character's health for a while, encouraging you to branch out. But trying out multiple characters is also smart since their unlocked traits carry across to all other characters too. The trophies are relatively straightforward as well, and the added feature of co-op is nice. :) Hope at least some of this information was helpful, always feel free to reach out to me if you need further assistance/encouragement.

This is a great response. Thank you! I did watch a review and some gameplay and this is where I started to get intrigued. Besides the gorgeous art style of course, the combat looks really fun and like it has a lot of depth to it that would keep you engaged for hours.

I really love the idea of the debuff mechanic that encourages you to play as different characters in the family so you have a reason to experiment a lot and see a wide range of content. In most games there is almost always an optimal character or build to play as and so once you discover this, you aren’t often motivated to experiment beyond that.

I don’t remember them mentioning the game had co-op either, so this is a nice added bonus. I’m sure I could find someone to play with. Do trophies unlock for both players?

1 hour ago, Akrioz said:

This is not really a roguelike imo. You have a steady level by level progression. It is somewhat similar though. The game is great and worth playing.

Tbh I’m always confused as to what a “roguelike” actually is. There seems to be a lot of misuse of the term, and a lot of debate over which games qualify and which don’t. I’ve seen a lot of games (and played a handful) that are described as having “roguelike elements” too that often get called roguelike. I guess this would be another one in that category then? I saw it described as roguelike multiple times though so I thought it was. ?

8 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

This is a great response. Thank you! I did watch a review and some gameplay and this is where I started to get intrigued. Besides the gorgeous art style of course, the combat looks really fun and like it has a lot of depth to it that would keep you engaged for hours.

I really love the idea of the debuff mechanic that encourages you to play as different characters in the family so you have a reason to experiment a lot and see a wide range of content. In most games there is almost always an optimal character or build to play as and so once you discover this, you aren’t often motivated to experiment beyond that.

I don’t remember them mentioning the game had co-op either, so this is a nice added bonus. I’m sure I could find someone to play with. Do trophies unlock for both players?

Tbh I’m always confused as to what a “roguelike” actually is. There seems to be a lot of misuse of the term, and a lot of debate over which games qualify and which don’t. I’ve seen a lot of games (and played a handful) that are described as having “roguelike elements” too that often get called roguelike. I guess this would be another one in that category then? I saw it described as roguelike multiple times though so I thought it was. 1f914.png

I really had fun with this one. I would say it is "roguelike" adjacent but it is pretty forgiving and there are many skills etc you can upgrade to help you in later runs. One thing to watch out for is the souvenirs trophy, as I think some of their locations may have changed with later patches.