What is your first priority in trophy hunting?

fbdbh

What is your first priority in trophy hunting?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first priority in trophy hunting?

• Completion percentage
    • Amount of games played / completed
    • Amount of trophies earned
    • Leaderboard ranking
    • Rarity or quality of trophies
    • Thematic collecting / Game sets
    • Maintaining a steady quota of trophies (per month / per year)
    • Other (write a comment)

9 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

The title of the poll refers to trophy hunting specifically, not playing in general. If you are hunting trophies for the enjoyment of the games, a possible option to choose is "games played".

That's the same thing.

Most trophy hunters fall under the "game enjoyment", "games played" categories. Only a select few bother to stack a bunch of games to boost their trophy count or care about rarity and quality of trophies, since that's all subjective anyway.

Back to topic, I definitely play games to enjoy them. But every now and then I like to go for trophies because they give me a sign of accomplishment and determination. I don't go overboard with that, I'm not a hardcore player by any means.

Just now, Spaz said:

Back to topic, I definitely play games to enjoy them. But every now and then I like to go for trophies because they give me a sign of accomplishment and determination. I don't go overboard with that, I'm not a hardcore player by any means.

Same, although I selected "maintaining a steady quota of trophies", because when I look at my collection of trophies, I get nervous when I don't earn any.

Let's say I'm playing a game where no trophies drop for 20-30 hours (which is the case nowadays), then I'm more likely to play easy trash games on the Vita. Which usually turn out to be Ratalaika games that I'd actually enjoy, but the platinum is achieved prior to completing the game, so sometimes I play them further a bit to find more value.

All in all, these last few months were really inbalanced between 200+ hour grinds and cheap plats, and I'm starting to get sick of it.

18 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Same, although I selected "maintaining a steady quota of trophies", because when I look at my collection of trophies, I get nervous when I don't earn any.

Let's say I'm playing a game where no trophies drop for 20-30 hours (which is the case nowadays), then I'm more likely to play easy trash games on the Vita. Which usually turn out to be Ratalaika games that I'd actually enjoy, but the platinum is achieved prior to completing the game, so sometimes I play them further a bit to find more value.

All in all, these last few months were really inbalanced between 200+ hour grinds and cheap plats, and I'm starting to get sick of it.

I don't like overly long games. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is one of the few games where I can truly say I loved every minute of it, all 140+ hours I spent going for that platinum and 100 percent. I'm still not finished, plenty of stuff to find out in the Skellige Isles and a number of things I haven't found yet in the Blood & Wine DLC.

Recently been playing through Vanquish and I must say that game is awesome. Challenging enough to not be too boring and just about the right length to where it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Every time I think about starting Assassins Creed Origins I get turned away because of how long the game is and how 'easy' it is compared to some other AAA games I've played. I would of been happier if this was instead a new IP Ubisoft was making where the story and the focus was on ancient history and civilizations.

Eh, probably completion percentage from the poll options. It's gotten to the point, where I don't want to start a game if I don't own the DLC. :/ When before, I was really picky about what DLC I'd pay money for. But yes, fun is most important. Unfortunately, being a completionist means I sometimes have to suffer through things that aren't so fun..

The rest of the options aren't so important. But I'm probably guilty of doing them all, at times. Playing certain games for the sake of those URs to inflate my epeen, making sure my 100+ trophies per month streak doesn't end, trying to make sure my incomplete games total stays under 100, etc. Leaderboard ranking is meaning less and less to me, though, as I'm not interested in spending money on games that take 15 minutes to Plat. Not judging anyone who does, but I'd rather get some bang for my buck. 

Until recently it was completion, trying to keep 100% in the realm of possibilities no matter the grind or frustration involved, that was basically my only goal so far aside from getting more out of games and trying to have fun with them for as long as possible. Since one game I now refuse to finish due to it being total bs basically killed the 100% goal I am pretty much without a goal, I no longer force myself to 100% games, I only still do it if it isn't too much work or too frustrating, so above the game in question is pretty much only E-A in my list at the moment. If I still had to choose I would pick rarity, my average rarity is at 32.16% at the moment, which is pretty good I think, so I might wanna stay around 35%, but that is not high enough of a priority to make me stop playing games with high average rarity, like the Spyro trilogy I will pick up before the year is over. Having a clear goal definitely helpes with motivation, I find myself considerably less motivated to do certain things now that my former goal is no longer a factor.

Clearing my backlog is my first priority in gaming. I feel that my systems might die, and I can't buy another one or that I'd get too old to play or have a busy 10 year stretch that doesn't allow me to play. I would love to completely complete all of my PS3 games before I get a PS5 system in 2022 or so.

Edited by Edunstar84
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Clearing my backlog is my first priority in gaming. I feel that my systems might die, and I can't buy another one or that I'd get too old to play or have a busy 10 stretch that doesn't allow me to play. I would love to completely complete all of my PS3 games before I get a PS5 system in 2022 or so.

I agree but dont see it happening my backlog just keeps growning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DemonicDraco said:

I agree but dont see it happening my backlog just keeps growning.

PS3 is just an unending hellhole with its insanely long JRPG gems and it just keeps surprising me with new stuff that I haven't even heard about yet, but they still risk becoming favorites (Nier, Drakengard 3).

• Like 1

For me, it's about completion, enjoying, and trophy level.

I try to complete every game I start. I like to sit down and enjoy a nice AAA game and play it to the fullest.

I also like doing easy games/stacking to increase my trophy level at a much faster rate. We can all thank Ratalaika.

I voted Completion Percentage, however the games I play must always be something I know I will enjoy or have an interest in to begin with. But once I've started a game my goal will always to be to get as many trophies as I feel I reasonably can out of it. It doesn't need to be 100%, but I try to aim for at least 80% or more if possible (although the odd game will end up being below that for various reasons such as server closure, online trophies or other ones I'm not skilled enough to get, trophies that are far too grindy to bother with, etc.

Basically I just try to do my best on each game I start and get it to a state I'm happy with :)

It kinda changes for me from time to time. One month it's all about completion percentage, which I'll never get as high as I would like because I usually don't play dlcs - they're mostly complete crap to me, with very few exceptions. Then my brain farts and I stop caring about completion to a certain degree and play more for the number of trophies, number of platinums, etc., while still avoiding getting some extremely low percentages. It balances itself out in a way, constant growth in numbers while keeping a similar completion. Still wondering why do I even care though

Maintaining a steady quota of platinums earned per month

On August 12, 2012 i earned my first platinum in Trine (ps3) and ive always managed to unlock ATLEAST 1 platinum a month since then, some months ive racked up several platinums which helps my average but my general goal is to unlock atleast 1 platinum a month, every month

7 years and 2 months later my 1platinum a month streak is still alive and going

Im currently sitting at 265 platinums and like ive mentioned before, ive never missed a month since august 2012

i think my next goal is to get through my backlog of games before i turn 40 and the backlog consists of over 200 untouched games

ill be 36 this december so i have alot on my plate if thats my next goal

Simply having fun followed closely by completion percentage. For me 'fun' in this context is derived from 100% completing games that I enjoy, so the two are somewhat intertwined. I have made some mistakes on my profile (curse you Shanky) so now any games I'm unsure of I intend to run through first on an alt account. All games on my account can be 100% completed at this point (WWE 2k19 has a looming server shutdown) and I intend to complete them while adding more games I enjoy over time.

I voted for maintaining a certain number of trophies a month. My goal is 4 platinums a month and I think I'm only two behind at my current rate...I'd have to double check that. I am starting to run out of shorter games though and I'm currently going through at least starting every game in my backlog so I probably won't hit my target of 48 total platinums this year (I also try to avoid those pay to plat games aside from the odd exception). My next big goal though is figuring out what platinum should be #100. I'll probably drop my goal to 2 platinum trophies a month. 

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

Complicated answer...

Primary is between themetic collecting/game sets (have a lot of pride in doing that) or generally completing games I specifically like enough to do so, if not tied, while secondary is full completion.. in most cases. Example of primary being getting 100% in all Killzone and inFAMOUS games and in the originally solo game Dying Light (sequel comes out next year), a game I hadn't realize I'd love immensely before playing it; and example of secondary being something like Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled, a game I don't really like yet pushed through to get full completion anyway. Although at the sametime, it also falls under "game sets", as I have the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy completed entirely.

So I voted for the third to last option. (Think I had more to say but forgot. Oh well.)