Secret Tonic

Hey guys, I wrote the trophy guide for Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair on PowerPyx’s website. There you can find guides to all the Coins locations, all Overworld bees and other interesting articles. The reason as to why nobody has the platinum yet is not just because of how challenging the Lair is, but also because of a secret Tonic. North of Chapter 19 is a sign telling you that somewhere on the Overworld is a hidden secret. As opposed to other signs, this one doesn’t provide any clues as to which area to look in. Instead, he says that eventually someone will find it, so to look on the internet. If someone finds it, please let everybody know here and whoever has made the discovery, will be credited on Powerpyx’s website. 

Apparently you get a tonic called Golden Try for beating the Impossible Lair without losing any bees (along with a secret ending). It's mentioned in this article, along with a video of a speedrunner who did it. It doesn't actually show in the video him getting it and showing it on the tonic menu or anything, but it does show on the results screen that he has 1/62 tonics. Can't confirm if this one is needed for the trophy as I'm still missing a few tonics (at 63/66, including the 4 pre-order bonuses), but if it is then the difficulty for this just skyrocketed.

https://www.destructoid.com/someone-already-beat-yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair-without-taking-damage-568965.phtml

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Archavia said:

Apparently you get a tonic called Golden Try for beating the Impossible Lair without losing any bees (along with a secret ending). It's mentioned in this article, along with a video of a speedrunner who did it. It doesn't actually show in the video him getting it and showing it on the tonic menu or anything, but it does show on the results screen that he has 1/62 tonics. Can't confirm if this one is needed for the trophy as I'm still missing a few tonics (at 63/66, including the 4 pre-order bonuses), but if it is then the difficulty for this just skyrocketed.

https://www.destructoid.com/someone-already-beat-yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair-without-taking-damage-568965.phtml

Oh wow! this could actually be a 9/10 difficulty if correct 

The devs told me that tonic is not needed to get the platinum. However, we won't know for certain until someone actually finds the 61st (the secret location one). Right now I'm sitting at 60 Tonics out of 62, with the secret one and the one you get from completing the Lair first try missing.

EDIT: when I first asked the devs for some guidance, they said: "you're gonna have to wait for someone to POST it online". Why POST and not post?

Also, a couple of minutes ago, on a live FAQ session with the devs on Reddits, one of them answered my question in which I asked if we could get like a general area of where to look by saying: "the heat of the furnace might leave you cold.". No clue as to what it could mean.

Edited by FranciRoosters
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, FranciRoosters said:

The devs told me that tonic is not needed to get the platinum. However, we won't know for certain until someone actually finds the 61st (the secret location one). Right now I'm sitting at 60 Tonics out of 62, with the secret one and the one you get from completing the Lair first try missing.

EDIT: when I first asked the devs for some guidance, they said: "you're gonna have to wait for someone to POST it online". Why POST and not post?

Also, a couple of minutes ago, on a live FAQ session with the devs on Reddits, one of them answered my question in which I asked if we could get like a general area of where to look by saying: "the heat of the furnace might leave you cold.". No clue as to what it could mean.

Well that's good news. Guess it'll just be a matter of searching everywhere on the Overworld for it. Would've made for an incredibly rare plat if it was indeed required though.

As for the clue, could possibly mean that it's far away from where the furnace is, so somewhere down in the very south given the furnace is pretty much at the northern-most point. I suspect it may also not be as simple as buddy-slamming a specific spot like the other ones, and instead be more involved.

Edited by Archavia

How will I know if I've found it? Does the tonic have a specific name?

I'm playing without a guide, as I don't want to spoil it, but, I have seen a tonic behind some trees on a ledge just north of the red flagpole. But, I can't jump high enough to get it after going through the trees. Anyone know of what I'm talking about? Is it the secret one?

Are we definitely sure that this "Golden Try" tonic is not required to unlock "Tonic Boom!" and "Tonic Mania"? The devs confirmed that to you?

I'm literally waiting for someone to complete this so I know it's safe to start, or I'll refund it if it's a 10/10 difficulty.

On 08/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, FranciRoosters said:

That's not the secret one. To get that one, one of the tree stumps has a handle for you to move it. The tonic I'm talking about is either number 42 or 50 (left to right in the Tonics menu).

Yes, it's ok, i realise I also don't have the one no one has. Thanks for the tree handle tip though.. I'll try it later

Can somebody explain to me what the signpost saying "Go south until you cant, east until you cant, north until you cant, west until you cant" want me to do? Its kinda hard to decifer...is it with jumping? is it with obstacles removed with bombs etc? wtf does he want.

Same with the "Where red stone meets green grass is a lone tree. Buddyslam the foilage". Cant seem to find that spot either..

And finally, the tonic thats boxed in between some buildings in the are with the long red pipe that you fix and lining up with the door where u lower four gates as a shortcut, how do i get that tonic?

And finally..how the hell do i move the thing that is supposed to turn my piece of red pipe so it fits?

3 hours ago, Hvalpen said:

Can somebody explain to me what the signpost saying "Go south until you cant, east until you cant, north until you cant, west until you cant" want me to do? Its kinda hard to decifer...is it with jumping? is it with obstacles removed with bombs etc? wtf does he want.

Buddy-slam one of the corners for that.

Same with the "Where red stone meets green grass is a lone tree. Buddyslam the foilage". Cant seem to find that spot either..

Can't recall this one. I you give me the location of this sign, I might be able to help you further.

And finally, the tonic thats boxed in between some buildings in the are with the long red pipe that you fix and lining up with the door where u lower four gates as a shortcut, how do i get that tonic?

Have you unlocked the key cage all the way left of the desert area yet?

And finally..how the hell do i move the thing that is supposed to turn my piece of red pipe so it fits?

3 hours ago, Archavia said:

The secret tonic is located in the area with levels 12 and 13. On the highest area with the fence, jump onto the fence and buddy-slam the rightmost post. Below screenshot shows where. I can confirm it unlocks the trophy without having to get Golden Try.

EGfnEgaUYAEzlCM?format=jpg&name=large

Congratulations on the platinum, you earned it!!

4 hours ago, Archavia said:

The secret tonic is located in the area with levels 12 and 13. On the highest area with the fence, jump onto the fence and buddy-slam the rightmost post. Below screenshot shows where. I can confirm it unlocks the trophy without having to get Golden Try.

EGfnEgaUYAEzlCM?format=jpg&name=large

Congrats. Thank goodness the golden try isnt needed. How long did it take you to defeat the lair

2 hours ago, TheMightyImp2 said:

Congratulations on the platinum, you earned it!!

1 hour ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Congrats. Thank goodness the golden try isnt needed. How long did it take you to defeat the lair

Cheers. It took me about 2-2.5 hours of total attempts, with 2 of those being before I had 48 bees just to test it out. A full run is probably 25ish minutes. On my successful attempt I had 0 bees left and had lost Laylee as well, plus the end section has a 120 second timer and I escaped just as the timer hit 0 seconds. Was a bit close for comfort, haha. It seems daunting at first but it is pretty manageable once you know the obstacles and how to do the boss fights. I reckon I could do it again with 10-20 bees left.

Edited by Archavia
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FranciRoosters said:

Buddy-slam one of the corners for that.

Can't recall this one. I you give me the location of this sign, I might be able to help you further.

Yep i unlocked the key, assuming you mean the one in the cage just left of the platform that is supposed to turn things. Also when you say corners, do you mean one of the corners in that specific area? Or the map as a whole?

Edited by Hvalpen