PS5 release date: November 12th, 2020

ziggypossum

On 18/10/2019 at 1:32 AM, UrbanaSupernovA said:

Take this with a grain of salt.....but big if true ? https://buff.ly/2Bk91wQ

I wouldn't want backwards compatibility  for ps1 ,2 or even 3 in some cases. Rather them focus the budget on current gen.

Not only that but old games look like shit upscaled on modern TV's. Red Dead on PS3 gave me a seizure when viewing on my 4k tv, id hate to see what a ps1 game would look like

• 1 month later...

New Sony Controller Patent Shows Last Minute Update to PS5's DualShock?

From the look of things, the PlayStation 5 controller will be adding another new feature to its design. Sony filed a last-minute patent for the controller (or for an "input device," to be exact) that seems to give the controller a new feature.

https://gamerant.com/ps5-dualshock-patent-buttons/

https://nl.letsgodigital.org/uploads/2019/12/sony-playstation-5-dualshock-update.pdf

u0VHeSE.jpg

p70Ese0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

With all the XBox Series X info lately, Sony needs to step it up! That being said, I'll be shocked if either one gets released before year's end.

The plan was always to release year’s end wasn’t it?

interested to see how corona virus impacts things. Needing to stay home and having to cancel holidays and nights out might just mean that people are more inclined buy expensive consoles day one, assuming production of them won’t be held up. Not sure, but I hear China is pretty much back up and running again with manufacturing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

The plan was always to release year’s end wasn’t it?

interested to see how corona virus impacts things. Needing to stay home and having to cancel holidays and nights out might just mean that people are more inclined buy expensive consoles day one, assuming production of them won’t be held up. Not sure, but I hear China is pretty much back up and running again with manufacturing...

Well, guess time will tell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

With all the XBox Series X info lately, Sony needs to step it up! That being said, I'll be shocked if either one gets released before year's end.

And right after you said this

To me this says they were ready and just waited for a Microsoft's move.

• Like 2

On 17.03.2020 at 4:35 PM, Alderriz said:

To me this says they were ready and just waited for a Microsoft's move.

Well, I was wrong. They just repurposed their GDC presentation that was going to happen this week and was cancelled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, Rrorkk said:

Is "holiday" American for Xmas ?

It's also Thanksgiving too. Last year, I gave Black Friday 2020 as a prediction for both Xbox Series X and PS5 to someone who works at Gamestop that I know, she looked at me, took a deep breath, and said "I would quit my job if that were true."

18 minutes ago, ziggypossum said:

While this will premiere with PS5 games, this label would still apply to any Playstation Studio PS4 games, if any have been in production and still come out for PS4. It’ll also be on Horizon Zero Dawn when it premieres on PC. 

26 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

While this will premiere with PS5 games, this label would still apply to any Playstation Studio PS4 games, if any have been in production and still come out for PS4. It’ll also be on Horizon Zero Dawn when it premieres on PC. 

"Sony's PS4 games will also carry the same PlayStation Studios branding, but it won't be ready in time for the launch of The Last of Us: Part II or Ghosts of Tsushima, which are both due to arrive this summer. It will also miss the launch of Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC, although the firm says that any future games it releases on other platforms will also carry the branding."

PlayStation Studios brand will launch alongside PS5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, POEman553 said:

It's also Thanksgiving too. Last year, I gave Black Friday 2020 as a prediction for both Xbox Series X and PS5 to someone who works at Gamestop that I know, she looked at me, took a deep breath, and said "I would quit my job if that were true."

The jokes on her, with how things are now, she might not need to quit and still lose her job. ?

• Like 2

Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida states that the PS5's processing speed will be 100 times faster than the PS4.

As part of Sony's latest corporate strategy meeting, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida discussed the future of the company's gaming and network services. The obvious highlight of this section was the PlayStation 5, which he said will "revolutionize the game experience for users." To achieve that, the console will be dramatically faster than the PlayStation 4. Yoshida stated that the PS5's custom-designed SSD will enable processing speeds that are roughly 100 times faster than PS4. This means loading times will be much shorter (or nonexistent) and that "players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant."

ScreenRant

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 5:05 PM, Ghost said:

Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida states that the PS5's processing speed will be 100 times faster than the PS4.

As part of Sony's latest corporate strategy meeting, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida discussed the future of the company's gaming and network services. The obvious highlight of this section was the PlayStation 5, which he said will "revolutionize the game experience for users." To achieve that, the console will be dramatically faster than the PlayStation 4. Yoshida stated that the PS5's custom-designed SSD will enable processing speeds that are roughly 100 times faster than PS4. This means loading times will be much shorter (or nonexistent) and that "players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant."

ScreenRant

I can't throw money at this fast enough.

• Like 1

New PS4 games must also run on PlayStation 5 from July, Sony tells devs

Sony has told PlayStation 4 game developers that any new titles submitted for certification must also be compatible with PlayStation 5, beginning 13th July.

This means all PS4 games received by Sony for testing after the middle of that month are technically forwards compatible - playable on Sony's next-gen console - though it is up to each game's developer to ensure this is the case.

Further documentation sheds light on what "compatibility" means. A game will be deemed compatible with PlayStation 5 only if its submission code runs without issues on Sony's next-gen machine, and provides the same features on PS5 as it does on PS4.

So, for example, a developer couldn't flag their game as PS5 compatible but not provide support for a certain mode on next-gen hardware.

If a game was originally submitted to Sony before 13th July 2020, any new patch or remaster after that date would not require PS5 compatibility, but it would be "strongly recommended".

If a game was originally submitted to Sony after 13th July 2020, any future patch or remaster to that game would need to keep PS5 compatibility. Once a game is PS5 compatible, it must stay so.

It's worth emphasising that all of this applies to games submitted to Sony after 13th July, which is not the same as anything released after that date. Submissions are generally made well in advance of release to ensure Sony's certification team can approve the game in time.

For example, Sony's own Ghost of Tshushima is released on 17th July but will have entered certification prior to the 13th July cut-off. It will not specifically need to be PlayStation 5 forwards-compatible. However, as one of PlayStation 4's remaining flagship titles, it is certain to be supported on PlayStation 5 (and indeed, Eurogamer has separately heard this will be the case, alongside fellow upcoming exclusive The Last of Us 2).

But it's worth noting that while approved software has the technical capability to work across generations, Sony is yet to go into detail on how it will handle this in reality.

EuroGamer

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

New PS4 games must also run on PlayStation 5 from July, Sony tells devs

EuroGamer

Well this will put to bed any claims of questionable BC for the PS5. Still, it may not mean much if there's next to no PS4 releases after the 5 launches and indie titles are typically made with multiple platforms in mind regardless.