PS5 release date: November 12th, 2020

ziggypossum

Few things:

1.) they NEED to launch it with a 2TB (minimum) HDD. Makes no sense that the PS4 launches with a 500GB HDD. 

2.) Launch titles need to be ?? out the gate.

3.) I’ll wait for another 2-3 years (maybe 4) before I get this. Sony’s historic track record will indicate there’s a PRO, slim version of this console coming right behind it. 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

My price estimate is around 700 for a base model and 1,000 for a pro model considering its including an SSD and graphics processing with ray tracing

You mean more expensive than ps3 on release? 

If they do that then they might just cancel it cause Sony will go bankrupt

3 hours ago, POEman553 said:

I'm even more worried about PS3 and it's online now. I think 2020 will be it for PS3's PSN (unless the trophy system and profiles will carry over to PS5 anyway). 

PSN is one unified network. They can't just shut down PSN on one console or it shuts down for all of them. The UI looks different but that's it. When PSN gets hacked or maintenance happens, it affects ALL PlayStation systems.

10 minutes ago, Vergil said:

You mean more expensive than ps3 on release? 

If they do that then they might just cancel it cause Sony will go bankrupt

Yes, SSDs alone are still prohibitively expensive, whether they are m.2 regular nvMe or just a SATA connection. You're looking at over 100 dollars for just a 500 gig one by itself for a lower end one 

Vague Sony Statement Suggests that Some PS4 Games May Not Be Playable on PS5 Through Backwards Compatibility

"Please wait for more information"

We already know that the PlayStation 5 will boast backwards compatibility with PlayStation 4 games, but as it turns out, the current-gen console's entire catalogue may not carry over. In a rather vague statement to Japanese publication Famitsu, as translated by BlackKite on Twitter, Sony says "Currently, the dev team is putting all power on verifying whether they can secure a complete compatibility. Please wait for more information."

Again, it's a vague statement so it's not worth jumping the gun just yet, but to us, it reads like backwards compatibility may not cover every PS4 title -- at least not right now. This could just be Sony shielding itself in case "complete compatibility" isn't an option, but it's been printed regardless.

Again, it's a vague statement so it's not worth jumping the gun just yet, but to us, it reads like backwards compatibility may not cover every PS4 title -- at least not right now. This could just be Sony shielding itself in case "complete compatibility" isn't an option, but it's been printed regardless.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/10/vague_sony_statement_suggests_that_some_ps4_games_may_not_be_playable_on_ps5_through_backwards_compatibility

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 2

Cool news. ?

More or less, around the same date I was expecting it to come out. Not too sure what to think about the whole "adaptive triggers" thing. It totally sounds like a marketing thing I've been hearing since the PS2 era. Eh, it'll probably make more sense when the actual controller comes out and people can get a "feel" of it. Although, honestly, how much different can it be?

Probably a big point of contention for early adopters is the inclusion of an SSD and games being bigger in size as we move forward. Having a big enough SSD to store a reasonable amount of games and their patches will certainly make for a good chunk of the final hardware's cost. My guess is that they will give you the option to use external HDDs but we'll see. All the talk about ray-tracing acceleration, Ryzen CPU, enhanced graphics and whatnot.... I mean, games are going to look better (somehow) and people are going to like that. Nothing particularly mind-blowing, really.

I just recently started with a PS4 and still have plenty of games to work my ways through. I also still use my PS3 on a frequent basis, so it'll be quite some time before I even consider getting a PS5. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, panikooooos said:

A red flag for me so far is the fact that they say this will ship with an SSD. I get it, ssds boot faster and all but they lack space unless you're willing to pay tons of money. So this combined with the fact that games are now taking 100s of GB of space, seems to me like they're continuing the shitty practice of not giving you enough space and making you buy external hdds (or maybe they will include both an ssd and an hdd, highly doubtful though)

I have s launch PS4 and have never had a hard drive problem. Of course I don't mind deleting games after finishing/plat-ing them. The only people who seem to have issues are those who obsessively keep loads of games installed "just in case".

While I have loads of PS4 games to play still I might jump aboard early (although might wait for a second hand one to avoid paying Sony ATM). If I can play my backlog with practically zero loading time on ps5 I'll get through them far quicker!
The haptics sounds good, and will hopefully be integrated into new PSVR2 controllers too. I'm also keen to see if the new data heavy UI will keep track of trophy progress like on xbone.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 2

yeah, but where's Vita 2? if this thing is PS Now compatible, it would be nice if you could use the feature free of charge with games you already own digitally. I mean... right? It would fix that BC issue if games are not fully compatible natively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidson2004 said:

3.) I’ll wait for another 2-3 years (maybe 4) before I get this. Sony’s historic track record will indicate there’s a PRO, slim version of this console coming right behind it. 

Same here buddy, I have no plans to buy a PS5 this side of 2022... and that's assuming that I even buy it at all.

I have enough PS4 games in my backlog (and even a few PS3 ones remaining!) to keep me busy until then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Yes, SSDs alone are still prohibitively expensive, whether they are m.2 regular nvMe or just a SATA connection. You're looking at over 100 dollars for just a 500 gig one by itself for a lower end one 

I see. However i really don't see it being over 500$ cause they tried it already. But only time will tell 

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

This means I'll wait until 2022 - 2023.

Just like I've done with the PS2, PS3 and PS4 consoles. Wait for the price to drop and wait for more games to be available.

Pretty much me, I wont get it release date.  I mean, I'm in no rush to get one anytime ext year, still got my PS4 after all, and that still feels new to me x.x

• Like 1