PS5 release date: November 12th, 2020

ziggypossum

34 minutes ago, MrTrofyHuntr said:

Come on people, we are all getting this new console as soon as we are able to. Let's be honest.

The vast majority of people end up waiting for a period of time. Otherwise a console's lifetime sales would be really front loaded, which doesn't happen with successful systems.

I've owned 11 different consoles throughout my life. The only one I owned at launch was the SNES; for all the others a period of time between 9 months and 4.5 years passed from launch before I got the system.

10 hours ago, freddie1989 said:

Some amazing new capabilities should come from this.....first things I read are people wanting remakes of old shit. Jesus!!

These same people will then say “devs are getting lazy all we get are remasters or HD ports like can’t they make something new!!!”

Edited by NaseemJohn
  • Like 2

I am glad it's called the PS5. It'd be weird to suddenly have a name for it. I also hope like some other people have said that they try again with another handheld for this generation. I still love the vita. Though I don't expect much after how rough it went for the vita. Sad face. Probably will wait a while before buying a PS5 as I'm curious about how they will implement the backwards compatibility and I still have a lot of backlog games I'd like to finish first to help justify moving forward with my gaming career into the next generation. I just hope my old consoles hold on long enough. I'm not liking how my PS4 keeps crashing.

Edited by Upendo_Vitani

I’ll wait for a while before getting one, I have too many games on my PS4 and other consoles I have yet too finish. Unless some good games that really catch my eye come out in 2020 that are PS5 exclusive, i’ll pass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, panikooooos said:

Yes they can, that's what they did with the ps3 and with the ps4, they made a profit due to royalties and ps plus

True, PS Plus does add up a lot. I was just looking at Sony first-party titles and their attach rates with the PS4 being not as high as something like the Switch. But the membership cost probably makes up for that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

My price estimate is around 700 for a base model and 1,000 for a pro model considering its including an SSD and graphics processing with ray tracing

I don't think it'll be that much. It will likely be a little higher than PS4, but Sony needs to watch it with their intro price or there will be more than a few telling them to GTFO. I'd rather have the game prices be a little higher like $65 for your usual retail release.

Remastered games shouldn't be needed with the PS5. Just keep selling the PS4 version on PSN and offer a patch for PS5 owners with enhancements.

They should allow use of an external HDD at least for game saves. That would allow less write-cycling on the SSD. My concern with SSDs is their life span.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I like both those games so... *shrug*

I have Knack still to play. I just won’t expect anything great. 

1 hour ago, talespagni said:

Some months ago I thought the PS3 compatibility was going to happen.

Nowadays, with the way they have been marketing PS Now, including its recent huge price drop, I believe that will not happen, as they will need it to keep the cash flowing by.

It’s virtually impossible because of how the PS3 was designed and coded. The PS4 uses a completely different system which is why PS Now is a thing. 

If I was a casual just starting to get into games and trophy hunting I would use it. But with dozens upon dozens of games on my backlog and the lack of time I have for gaming in general, I have no use for PS Now. 

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I have Knack still to play. I just won’t expect anything great. 

It’s virtually impossible because of how the PS3 was designed and coded. The PS4 uses a completely different system which is why PS Now is a thing. 

If I was a casual just starting to get into games and trophy hunting I would use it. But with dozens upon dozens of games on my backlog and the lack of time I have for gaming in general, I have no use for PS Now. 

Not really, the cell architecture is power PC just like the xbox 360, and they managed an emulator for the xbox one. Not saying it's not going to happen, but the money is too good for them to include it

21 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

6 pages and nobody here is wondering what shade of blue @Sly Ripper is going to use for the inevitable PS5 logo that will go on our profiles? :hmm: 

Doesn't he just mimic the official Sony site tags?

3 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

the tags were different on our profiles.

Looking at it now, I see what you mean (Sony's are a grayish color). Perhaps a white tag with blue outline and text? :hmm:

The Wired article was a great read! It's definitely an interesting way they're choosing to tease the console this time around, but I like it - Kind of like the way games and consoles were teased back in the day

Here's hopes "Holiday" 2020 is the first holiday of that year - New Years 2020, Amirite? :ninja: 

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

The 60 and 20 gig models are fully compatible 

And all PS3s play PSone! That's more full gens than any current console. Xbone gets bits and pieces of games that can be resold digitally. Otherwise you get fuck all. [let me play Brute Force on my Xbone damn it]

27 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

And all PS3s play PSone! That's more full gens than any current console. Xbone gets bits and pieces of games that can be resold digitally. Otherwise you get fuck all. [let me play Brute Force on my Xbone damn it]

Almost as laughable is the stupid 'retro' consoles like the PS1 Classic, the NES Mini and the Sega Mega Drive which all do a poor attempt at recreating the 'good old days' of gaming. There is nothing about those systems that stand out to me, and this is coming from a guy who has played emulators for over 15 years.

PC still reigns when it comes to backwards compatibility, nothing else comes close. Then again it's a PC which has the big advantage of customization, which consoles don't have.

The PS2 was able to play PS1 games so that's nothing new. I just want a system that can play different generations of games. None of this PS Now garbage.

• Like 1

I might get the PS5 at launch (or day one) when any of the two things will be launch titles: Uncharted and/or God of War.

Full Backward compatibility for PS4 library is a nice feature for PS5. But if not, not a deal breaker for me. I have my PS3 (9 years) and PS4 (3 years) still in pristine condition.

12 minutes ago, MegaZeroXX said:

I might get the PS5 at launch (or day one) when any of the two things will be launch titles: Uncharted and/or God of War.

Full Backward compatibility for PS4 library is a nice feature for PS5. But if not, not a deal breaker for me. I have my PS3 (9 years) and PS4 (3 years) still in pristine condition.

I thought Naughty Dog was done with the Uncharted series. I wouldn't mind a game starring Sam Drake, even if he was a complete shoehorn in The Lost Legacy.

Sony Santa Monica is probably developing a new God of War game as we speak. I would much prefer a prequel of sorts because we still don't know what happened to Kratos after the events of God of War 3. How exactly he ended up in a world of Norse gods and mythology, including his future deceased wife which is what much of the plot in God of War 2018 focused on.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Almost as laughable is the stupid 'retro' consoles like the PS1 Classic, the NES Mini and the Sega Mega Drive which all do a poor attempt at recreating the 'good old days' of gaming. There is nothing about those systems that stand out to me, and this is coming from a guy who has played emulators for over 15 years.

PS1 Classic is a particularly poor excuse for one. Why did Sony use some system-on-a-chip hardware instead of just sticking PS VitaTV hardware in the shell? If they did it like that, they could sell you games from their PS1 (also PSP & Vita) library on PSN. What a great way to miss an opportunity. The lineup has some good games, but 20 leaves you wishing you could add more. And some games aren't NTSC versions- instead they're the PAL ones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Here's hopes "Holiday" 2020 is the first holiday of that year - New Years 2020, Amirite? :ninja: 

Ohh you make me so happy.

Hope its before black friday, maybe can grab a Ps5 for cheap...

15 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

My price estimate is around 700 for a base model and 1,000 for a pro model considering its including an SSD and graphics processing with ray tracing

Thats not how it works. For those prices Sony could make an absolute monster that beats any PC today.

First of all Sony's policy witch consoles is that they make the profit with software sales and not the hardware, The launch price of the PS4 was $400 and the cost of making it was $380, i think they will use the same method with the PS5, selling it for a tiny bit more than manufacturing costs.
Secondly, Sony makes a long term contracts with hardware companies and orders several million units of each hardware part. (APU, SSD,RAM, PSU etc)

In the electronics industry, the more they manufacture of something, the cheaper it gets (cost/unit), as most of the costs come from setting up the factories and production lines, but when they are set up, they only need raw materials and maintenance.
The PS2 sold over 150 million units, the PS3 over 80million and the PS4 is over a 100 million and still going, selling hardware parts for a succesfull brand like this is a very nice business opportunity and a way to make some reliable profit, so i can see many companies wanting in on this and if they want to get the contract  they have to sell the hardware for cheaper than their competitors.

SSDs were really expensive in the past, but their prices dropped a lot in recent years, as more and more companies started making them. Right now you can get a 1TB SSD for around a $100, Sony will get them for much cheaper.
Ray tracing is a new trend now as modern hardware can do it in real time, but its an old technology, its not that special, its not gonna make GPU manufacturing costs that much higher, Nvidia is a greedy pig company and they are just using ray tracing as an excuse to increase their video card prices and they can get away with it because AMD has not released their own video cards with ray tracing yet, but whenever they will the prices will drop significantly.

So my estimate for the price of PS5 would be 500 USD and maybe 550 for a model with a bigger SSD, like 2TB.

If the rumour about releasing the PS5 and the PS5 Pro at the same time is true, then i would put the Pro's price to around 700USD or 800 max.

• Like 4