PS5 release date: November 12th, 2020

ziggypossum

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'll take that with all the salt mines under Detroit, cause it won't happen.

Probably, but it would give Sony some much-needed good press, and honestly, I doubt that BC for PS1 and PS2 games is all that taxing nowadays, despite Shuhei Yoshida's previous bellyaching.

This is likely Sony's last console, so I'll hold out my dream that they go out with a bang.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Did I miss something? Is Sony specifically withdrawing from the home console market, or are you implying the entire home console market will die?

Ditto, why the remark? What did we miss?

Sure would be cool to have PS3 backwards compatibility. Don’t care about PS2 (wait... Freedom Fighters!) or PS1. But PS3 would be welcome. But I don’t think it will happen...

11 minutes ago, Sifferino said:

Ditto, why the remark? What did we miss?

Sure would be cool to have PS3 backwards compatibility. Don’t care about PS2 (wait... Freedom Fighters!) or PS1. But PS3 would be welcome. But I don’t think it will happen...

Frankly whatever they can stretch into this console I am a fan. If PS1 is possible, I say go for it. 

I think we are far away from this being Sony’s last console. Let’s cross our fingers that Sony makes some improvements like active trophy tracking. I would love to not have to keep track of how many matches I have played.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, parkerdip said:

Im getting a 4k tv soon in the very near future  and want to play my games in 4k to see the benifit of the resolution by getting a ps4 pro but should i just wait now. 

I wouldn’t pull the trigger on a PS4 pro about a year before the new system is released. Frankly, I would invest in the tv so you can get the most out of the PS5.

I never understood the point of introducing that PS4 Pro anyway. A bit of a d*ckmove, to be honest. Everyone should have the same console, that’s the whole point. They handled it reasonably well, I was afraid from the introduction onwards games on the regular PS4 would run like crap and that didn’t happen, but I hope they don’t repeat this again. I can understand (a little bit) different configurations (like a smaller model without a bluray drive or something), although this should be introduced at launch then not as a surprise years down the road,  but I don’t like the proposition “this is the ultimate model, but here’s our base model: games won’t run smoothly and won’t look good but it is $100 cheaper!”.

That or periodic hardware “incremental upgrades” (=gaming PCs) and I’m out of console gaming. I just don’t understand what’s wrong with the ‘old’ way of simply introducing a brand new generation every 5-7 years. Basically I just want to know that the game runs as advertised. I don’t want to deal with “yes it will run but you have to tinker with the settings, won’t run smoothly” etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sifferino said:

I never understood the point of introducing that PS4 Pro anyway. A bit of a d*ckmove, to be honest. Everyone should have the same console, that’s the whole point. They handled it reasonably well, I was afraid from the introduction onwards games on the regular PS4 would run like crap and that didn’t happen, but I hope they don’t repeat this again. I can understand (a little bit) different configurations (like a smaller model without a bluray drive or something), although this should be introduced at launch then not as a surprise years down the road,  but I don’t like the proposition “this is the ultimate model, but here’s our base model: games won’t run smoothly and won’t look good but it is $100 cheaper!”.

That or periodic hardware “incremental upgrades” (=gaming PCs) and I’m out of console gaming. I just don’t understand what’s wrong with the ‘old’ way of simply introducing a brand new generation every 5-7 years. Basically I just want to know that the game runs as advertised. I don’t want to deal with “yes it will run but you have to tinker with the settings, won’t run smoothly” etc.

They did it because the PS4 was underpowered at launch, it was equivalent to a midrange gaming PC at best, although the competition was even weaker.

1 hour ago, lettmon said:

They did it because the PS4 was underpowered at launch, it was equivalent to a midrange gaming PC at best, although the competition was even weaker.

Maybe, but then that’s it: this is the PS4. Devs, deal with it. Get creative. Judging from its success, we don’t care about underpowered consoles and creative developers can do so much given limitations.

Devs weren’t allowed when the Pro was launched to make Pro-only games or screw the regular PS4 gamers over in any way with subpar games. So who is it for then? Only a tiny niche. I bet new buyers buy the Pro mostly because they fear the regular PS4 would be a bad buy (‘inferior’), not specifically for its pro features. It made all of us earlier buyers wonder if Sony screwed us over. Its just bad business. And it could have easily happened if the Pro had been more successful and devs started developing primarily for the Pro instead of the regular model. Once console buyers start questioning if the basic premise for a console (plug & play, guaranteed fun for x years) still holds true... it is game over. I don’t want a PC-lite, I want a console. I hope Sony won’t make this gamble. Microsoft seems to want to for some reason. 

18 hours ago, Helyx said:

Did I miss something? Is Sony specifically withdrawing from the home console market, or are you implying the entire home console market will die?

I think the entire console market will die. I certainly don't think that Sony will withdraw from a thriving market. But I just don't see much place for a new console in 2027, and even if there is, I think Nintendo is better poised for it. I expect Sony to continue its move (as well as the market's move) toward streaming.

Oh, and before anyone else says it, yes, this is an opinion. Because of course it is. I haven't built a time machine and seen the future of gaming.

2 hours ago, Sifferino said:

Once console buyers start questioning if the basic premise for a console (plug & play, guaranteed fun for x years) still holds true... it is game over. I don’t want a PC-lite, I want a console. I hope Sony won’t make this gamble. Microsoft seems to want to for some reason. 

I certainly agree, but I have little faith in Sony to see this. 

Edited by starcrunch061

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the sales.  I have a launch PS4 and a bunch of games that I'd like to play, and don't want to be without a console until the PS5 arrives.  So, if a slim is being offered at a great price for Black Friday, I'll pick it up.  Same goes for the Pro or even a decent bundle.

I guess having a iconic name is good. Im more curious about what itll look like though.
Personally I never liked the Ps4 design but its growing on me all these years.

My favorite still the Ps2 design. In a way Ps4 and Ps2 has their similarities i suppose.

32 minutes ago, ChimJiminie said:

Still no true confirmation on whether or not it will be PS3 backwards compatible as well huh? :( It would make it very appealing on the market... 

They will give the same excuse as the did on PS4 already, that PS3 Games are not compatible due different hardware and cell structures and what not, which is crap if you ask me. But that's what they'll tell you. Also they won't stop with PS NOW... so here is your answer: PS5 will not be backwards compatible with PS3 retail games.

Edited by Solid-Fisch

On 10/14/2019 at 3:45 AM, Eagle-RP said:

I was wondering the same thing. I would like for them to update the trophy level system to where it can go past 100. It should be unlimited considering we're in the generation of all these easy games.

I agree. It should be changed, and I hope it is.

• Like 1