When you left your parents' home?

TheYuriG

So, I'm 19 and am moving out of home tonight (12h from now) because I can't stand my family anymore. I'm moving out to another state and will live all by myself in the "cruel world" from now on. I've been holding out a lot of abuse in the past 3 or 4 years and have been thinking about doing this a lot over all these years and decided to do it now before starting college (and at least 4 more years of this sh*t). My questions are:

How old was you and what reason made you leave your parents' home?

If you didn't yet, how old you expect doing it and what will be the reason you would choose?

I don't know how to create a opening for asking something so my story should be poorly told, try focusing on the questions instead.

Edited by TheYuriG

So, I'm 19 and am moving out of home tonight (12h from now) because I can't stand my family anymore. I'm moving out to another state and will live all by myself in the "cruel world" from now on. I've been holding out a lot of abuse in the past 3 or 4 years and have been thinking about doing this a lot over all these years and decided to do it now before starting college (and at least 4 more years of this sh*t). My questions are:

If you didn't yet, how old you expect doing it and what will be the reason you would choose?

I don't know how to create a opening for asking something so my story should be poorly told, try focusing on the questions instead.

I'm planning to leave in 1-2 years when I'm finished with my school. That way the school can't give them any info about me. My reason for leaving: similar to yours.

I moved out last year, at the age of 21. I decided to move from Colorado to Missouri because I was ready to experience change. I lived in Colorado far too long and always wanted to live in different states. Also, I wanted to start a life with my boyfriend that I've had an 8 year long distance relationship with. I'm happy I did move with my two dogs. The road trip was fun and the responsibility can be overwhelming but nice because it gives my mother less to worry about. If you can afford it, I think you should move. I see no reason to not move out and experience life and responsibility unless you don't have the income. 

I left for a year back when I was 20, it was only temporary and I was living in England for that year, moved back in and I really have no reason for leaving.  I've never suffered any kind of abuse that would make me want to be as far away as my parent as possible, it's only my mom that lives here and all my siblings are married and living with their husbands, so there's plenty of space in this house.  If my mom ever did say anything about moving out, I probably would then but I don't think she minds at all.

I moved out when I was 18 to go to college. A longtime friend of mine and I got a place near the school I go to. I still visit my parents and family during the holidays and the summer because I love them a lot, it was just time for me to go out in the world on my own and it has been great.

Edited by man_with_wdjat
  • Like 2

Well, my parents are in their 60s and my dad had recently passed away. I have been living with them for some time mostly to help with my dad. Now I am not sure if I will stay or not. Frankly my pay and her retirement has been doing alright so I havent' felt the need or want to leave.

I still live with my family. My parents, older, and younger brothers. There is something along the lines of a disability that keeps me from leaving home right now...but maybe in the near future. My family and I are all happy nonetheless and I don't want to reveal much more as this isn't a life's story. I'm happy, that's what matters. 

Nearly 22 years ago, when I was just 18. I left home and went to England to study. I chose Birmingham because I liked metal and the best of the UK stuff at the time came from the midlands.

Went a bit haywire, ever finshed the course and ended up working for a demolition crew. Had stomach ulcers by 20 from all the drink and drug consumption. Done a great deal of crazy shit which can sometimes be recalled in "Once upon a time..." stories.

Then over the years I flitted back in and out of the parents house as I moved jobs and relationships but it was only after I finally got married (about 10 years ago) that my mother re-designated my old room as a guest room.

• Like 1

I moved out when I was 19 to go to university. First I lived 9 months with my best friend and then I got a nice flat with my girlfriend. Now, almost 4 years later I can't imagine moving back to my parents. I visit them in holidays and they come visit us sometimes.

Well, the thing is, I don't have to pay for anything, and I don't have to do any chores. I live in a real small town and it's real boring, no one ever goes out, they are all inside getting drunk and high.  I plan on doing acting, so eventually, I might move to Cali, but then again, I've been here all my life, my bestfriends, my exes, my future work, it's all here, when I do move out, it won't be for a while.

Edited by drummerklg

I may be going to study in Thailand on October I haven't decided yet, I am currently 19. I see you live in Brazil (assuming from gamecard) what state you are moving to? Just wondering because I am Brazilian myself ^_^ moved to England when I was 3. 

I moved out roughly 14 years ago. In my case it was planned. I would move into my grandmother's house after she died to help take care of a somewhat mentally challenged uncle and keep the house in good repair. Don't get me wrong, it's not so bad. He is largely self suffucient. I just need to be around to help in certain circumstances and keep him fed. (His culinary expertise consists of junk food, bagged salad, canned soup and sandwiches.)

I moved out 10 years ago when I was 21. For the sole purpose of partying with my friends and being able to invite girls over without having to sneak them in through the basement. It was a great choice as I learned alot about myself and how to be self-sustaining. I went through my highest of highs and lowest of lows when i was living alone and I would not trade that experience back in for anything. 

• Like 1

I wish my brother was more like you!!! Must be tough at 19. College, work, making money to pay rent and tuition and all that stuffs. How do you do it!? I remember when I was around that age moving out to another state for college and all that. Pretty much lived in a box because I couldnt stand my family either!! and too proud to take their money. Good job kid.

I moved out about 8 months after high school. similar reasons. found a house for rent and rented it with 3 of my friends. had an awesome year of that then the lease was up, so we all went in different directions. started college and moved back home. been living there and suffering through family drama for about 3 years. luckily my luck is changing and I'm going to be moving out in 4 months. keep your chin up yuri. sometimes lifes a bitch but happiness is always around the corner.

• Like 1

I moved out when I was 14, started peddling pixie sticks to children so my parents didn't want me around anymore. Got a nice little apartment in a small town not too far from where I grew up, unfortunately I got into a turf war with a rival sugar dealer and had to retire from the business. So I eventually lost all sources of income, and since I was only 14, couldn't get a job. Now I live with my parents again.

Well I haven't moved out yet, but I would probably be the same age as you when I move out.... Reasons for moving would to find a better life on my own & because I resent my parents, as we have somewhat of the same history.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...