When you left your parents' home?

TheYuriG

I was 16 when I moved out, I completed High school at 15 and went to university at 15 turning 16 the first year. I also picked up a sweet job for a Newspaper and it was near the Uni, so I moved closer to there, I also dropped out of uni and went full time for the newspaper without telling my folks ;). With that said, My home life was great and life was always good, I just got bumped ahead with school and was a couple of years younger when it was over.

• Like 1

Damn I sorry for hear that @TheYuriG I know Is hard to live in Brazil with all the shit going on but parrent abusing that way worste my father use to be abused by his old man, nobody deserve that kind off fate, starting living alone will be more tufer for you, dont let you guard down, I just started living alone this year now since I'm In the university. 

• Like 1

This story have somewhat a disappointing ending. About an year later i had purchased like half of my electronics and my mother came to visit me (no idea how she found me, probably family betrayal) and blackmailed me saying she got divorced and she was deeply depressed and would kill herself if i didn't return. I refused about 10 days until my compassion talked louder than my reason and i went back. 

No surprise, barely anything changed but i no longer got spanked, nor l needed to stay home/tell where I'm going which was about time since i was 20 by then. 

I got to work in a few places and then i got a really good job, but it made me walk a lot and by 2015 (october-ish) the pains I've ever felt in my legs grew unbearable and I'm finally allowed to see a doctor. Almost 1 year and half from there, it seems that i have Fibromialgia, a nervous systemic disease that doesn't have cure and the treatment is somewhat uncertain to work. I spend almost all 2016 in pain and barely leaving home except for university and trying to find something that releases me from my daily pain, but nothing lasts long enough. Been through 4 different medicines by now, stronger each time and less effective too, until i decided stop taking them afraid of making, whatever causes my pain, even stronger. 

2016 i intended to move out again to another state close to a few friends of mine to do university there. I sell the majority of my personal things and get myself all ready to go, then i get to find that my mother cancelled my ticket and my university subscription (or whatever you call it) and then redid it for the local university. 

So here I'm again, living somewhere i hate with people i hate for 4+ years, unless i ditch university which i don't intend to, because i like it. 

My plans however are to get a job in my course area this year and leave home once for all until i graduate and then, go to another country and cut all contact to my bloodline. 

Wish me luck, i guess?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was 17 when I moved out. The reason was that I wanted to simply not live with my parents so I applied and got accepted into a university in the capital city, 3 hours by car away from my parents house. I'm also a very city person and like urban jungle living, while my parents prefer the quiet countryside. I'm 24 now and plan to emigrate for work this year. It was not that I didn't get along with my parents, we just have very different lifestyles and priorities so living together was tough once I became an adult. 

is this the share your life story thread?...i'm in a weird mood today...i usually try to keep my life as private as possible and may delete this post eventually but was inspired by others who have posted here so:

like yuri, i grew up in an incredibly abusive houshold in white middle-class suburbia...one of my earliest memories is of my mom beating the $hit out of me to the point of pi$$ing my pants over something i didn't understand at all..by the time i was 15 i'd had enough...went downstairs one random day, looked both my parents in the eye, said "you guys are f**king a$$holes", and walked out the door...stayed at a friend's place for about a month where his parents got me into counselling...therapist eventually wanted to meet my parents hoping to get a better understanding of my situation and also potentially help us work things out...agreed to this but only if they met without me there...end result : "bam you're parents are so messed up they need years of intense therapy...you basically have 2 choices...try to work this out with me and them or head out on your own"...

homelessness...found out canadian winters are cold as f**k when you live outside...drug addiction, gang membership, f**k over everyone i can, jump from job to job, in and out of homelessness and school...witness a few friends passing away way too young...good people...that $hit f**ks you up...> tribute due - RIP - Dapo, Eric, Gary, and Paul...dearly missed but never forgotten <...woke up one day in my early 20s, smoking a joint in the park, f**ked up on meth and i realized i had life all backwards...some dude walks up "what's up, man?"..."no f**king clue but i think i just quit doing drugs"...haha...sobriety...eventually landed a sweet job, nice apartment, and met my wife, who is japanese...life has been on the up since then...

moved to japan for 10 years...married, kids born, earthquakes, racism, "gaijin" status for life...early mid-life crisis tossed in the mix...bought land and designed a house to build on it...have everything i ever dreamt of but still not happy, "how the f**k am i supposed to guide my kids through life?"...make a resolution to only do the things i want to do from that day on...kids bullied for looking like me despite not even being able to speak english or having a single trait of being canadian in their personalities or lifestyle..."f**k japan"...

back to canada, start a company doing what i love...got award for one of the best in the country in 2016...haven't figured life out by any means but feel like my planetary alignment is better than ever...my main obstacle seems to be the struggle with trying to find happiness primarily in things that come and go...an ongoing spiritual vs material or ego vs existence/reality conflict if you wish...only regret now is the image of the marlboro man dancing on my grave as my kids scratch their heads asking my wife why i died so young...there you have it in a nutshell...gaming is just a hobby to me...haha...

p.s. took me like 15 minutes to hit the submit reply button...this $hit is personal...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was 21 and I turn 23 in a few months. Nothing too interesting to say. College didn't work out for me so I left after a year and started working. Spent about a year working part-time while still living with my parents. Eventually found a full-time job and made efforts to move out as soon as I could. Not that my situation was that bad, I just really wanted to live on my own so I can have more peace and quiet.

I think I was around 22. After school, I've worked for a couple of years. My girlfriend and I lived a bit of a distance apart (1.5 hours travel time by car/train). Which would have been quite an annoying commute to work if I were to move at that time (I'm originally from a big city, and traffic around there is insane during rush hours) and I didn't have my driver's licence yet. Since I had a falling out with my boss at the time, we decided to part ways. I wanted to move closer to my girlfriend and her parents offered me to stay with them untill I found a new job and we found a place of our own. A year later, we moved into our own place and have lived there since (almost 10 years now).

Edited by Ric
typo

I was 20 when I moved out. I'd just been promoted at my old workplace so I could afford my own place near the city centre. I stayed there about six years until I became disillusioned with my job and felt like I could do something better with myself. So I applied to college and stayed on campus there for a year and then found a flatshare just outside the city when it was over when I started my current job. I still have a year of uni left so I'll probably be staying here for that year, plus however long it takes me to get a job in the industry I want. 

I'm liking where I am right now but I don't have a lot of stuff here. My room is pretty much a bed, a desk and chair, a wardrobe, a bookshelf, TV and PS4. Most of my own stuff and furniture is sitting in the garage at my parents house waiting for me to move into my own place again. I could personalise and decorate my room a little more but I don't see the point since I'm not staying here forever. I'd rather put that effort and energy into something that's going to be permanent. 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn

Moved out when I was 18, because I would go to the university. Wasn't pissed at my parents or anything dramatic, just wanted to stand on my own.

Both got married and bought our first appartment about two years ago. We have a dog since about half a year. Some of the women my wife knows who are on their second or third child say that a kid is all we're missing now but I'd say we're not really missing it.

I'v just turned 21 but still live at my parents, they split so have two homes now.

Still busy with school, so busy atm that i don't have a job next to it. I'll start with that again in the summer.

Hope to move out when i'm finished with school

I moved out four years ago for college coz my family lives in the middle of butt fudge nowhere and I didn't want to spend five hours a day commuting in and out.

It's tough at first. You need to get used to doing everything yourself. You also have to get used to housemates if you're sharing. And money becomes a scarily real issue unless you have a job that pays really well. But I don't think I could stand moving back now that I'm used to it.

Edited by RisingSenpai616

• 3 weeks later...

I love my parents dearly, but am definently glad I stopped living with them and pretty much got kicked out when they moved.

Living with them was a nightmare because of how paranoid they would become,

i wasn't allowed to buy an airsoft gun because a cop would come into the backyard (for no reason) and shoot me, even though we lived in a nice neighborhood.

back in HS, if I bought a computer I could only use it for homework even though it would have been spent with my money.

one time I forgot to take out the trash and my stepdad dumped the trash on my bed.

https://imgur.com/a/5bh7P

My friend started to worry because of all the weird punishments they had for me, he was partially worried something was wrong with their brain.

Living with them was was one of the main reasons why I started smoking, the stress of having to deal with your parents threatening to kick you out everyday or then saying they will sell my stuff (even making my price all of my collectibles)

i am very glad glad I moved out, at first I cut contact with them, but our relationship grew better after awhile. 

After I had just turned 20 and went to college, which also involved moving to another city... and I'm staying here, I love this place :D Also, living alone is great! Currently in the process of moving out of my student apartment and into my new one :3

Edited by Zanreo