Side Quest Scaling Question

wilwheaton5

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a quick question. I know that side quests scale to your level after you complete the main story which is what I want to do so I can get more XP. What I'm wondering is, if  I accept the side missions so there in my quest tab, but I leave them until after I complete the main story, do they still scale? I just want to know if I should completely leave quest givers till after the main story, or I if can accept them so I can track them after I complete the main story? Thanks guys! 

Edited by wilwheaton5

By completing the story, you will earn a relic that will allow you to set whatever is remaining in your game to your level (Mayhem I, II, and III). Mayhem I will suit your needs. So, yes, they can scale that way, so skip them until you finish the main story. Here is an article that discusses the matter, as a PSA.

https://www.fanbyte.com/trending/skip-side-quests-before-borderlands-3-endgame/

Edited by bigrake1

On 10/13/2019 at 11:39 AM, bigrake1 said:

By completing the story, you will earn a relic that will allow you to set whatever is remaining in your game to your level (Mayhem I, II, and III). Mayhem I will suit your needs. So, yes, they can scale that way, so skip them until you finish the main story. Here is an article that discusses the matter, as a PSA.

https://www.fanbyte.com/trending/skip-side-quests-before-borderlands-3-endgame/

Thanks! 

Pretty poor design when you have to skip the side missions to make the main quest give relevant rewards. Anyway, you don't even need to touch Mayhem mode for the Platinum. Do all the side quests as you go as well as the circles of slaughter/Erdian proving grounds and you will most likely hit 50 before you are done. I did at least. 

Just now, Killbomb said:

Pretty poor design when you have to skip the side missions to make the main quest give relevant rewards. Anyway, you don't even need to touch Mayhem mode for the Platinum. Do all the side quests as you go as well as the circles of slaughter/Erdian proving grounds and you will most likely hit 50 before you are done. I did at least. 

It's a different design from traditional Borderlands I know. I do see what they were trying to do, in this way you can reach level 50 without having to do a new game plus which is good for some as most people will want to do other playthroughs with other characters anyway so it saves time. I did about 20 side missions before I figured this all out, but now that I have I've been able to get through the main story without any real issues in terms of difficulty or level scaling with enemies. In the end, I'm going to try this new method, so that I can better weapons and loot later but in the end, you can do the traditional way as well and it works just as fine. 

I just thought the mission structure was poorly designed. I get that your average gamer probably just wants to do the main quest but doing side missions as you go should not make the story quests a joke. I mean there is something wrong when arguably the hardest boss in the game is in a fairly early side quest.  It all works out for trophy hunters but I was a bit disappointed that I was almost always overleveled for the main quest because I was doing side quests as I received them instead of waiting for Mayhem Mode. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Killbomb said:

I just thought the mission structure was poorly designed. I get that your average gamer probably just wants to do the main quest but doing side missions as you go should not make the story quests a joke. I mean there is something wrong when arguably the hardest boss in the game is in a fairly early side quest.  It all works out for trophy hunters but I was a bit disappointed that I was almost always overleveled for the main quest because I was doing side quests as I received them instead of waiting for Mayhem Mode. 

Ya, I get you. Doing the side missions as you get them has always been a core aspect of borderlands games and it sucks that they changed it. I appreciate them introducing proper level scaling, but the fact that I have to focus on the main story now in every playthrough and deal with the annoying Calypsos without being able to take a break with some far better-written side missions every now and then is incredibly annoying! I much rather do fetch quests then deal with the Calypsos sometimes when I play. 

Just so you know, True Value Hunter Mode scales all activities and rewards to your level. This way you don't have to skip side quests for good rewards. Also, I believe playing in Co-Op does net you EXP buff, but I could be wrong

The circles of slaughter and providing ground have a increase world drop for legendaries, in general, and ever higher in Co-Op

On 16/10/2019 at 7:52 AM, Killbomb said:

Me too, when I went for the Circles of Slaughter I got the level 50 trophy. Just missing the circles and the shooting range trophies.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:52 AM, Killbomb said:

Borderlands has always been this way. The side missions are a way to ensure you're properly/overly leveled while running through the story. All three previous Borderlands games followed the same template.

I do, however, think you level a bit faster in BL3 than in previous entries. I was a good 7-8 levels higher when I completed the story in 3 than I was when completing the story in 2, so it might seem like doing the side missions negates story mission rewards, but I don't think that was intentional.