Will we ever see a handheld console from Sony again?

Stedde

9 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

But if they did come out with a successor to the Vita with R2, R3, L2, L3 with the power of the ps4, and backwards combatibility id nab it at launch.(as long as there's no proprietary cards etc)

I like this idea. Just use micro SDXC cards instead of those overpriced proprietary ones. I've seen a 512 GB mSDXC going for $100. Hopefully they could find some way to shrink PS4 base hardware into a unit the size of the Switch, and produce it a little more cheaply. They should add HDMI and 2 controller ports- that way if you're taking it to a hotel, you're all set to play on the room TV. That could be a decent competitor to Switch if they kept the price to about $300-350.

• Like 2

^ Yes, it would need to be a hybrid for any type of success imo. I love the Vita and games made for it but %99 of my game time is on the Ps/Vita TV.  I doubt this would happen anyway tbh but then again, if you've seen the Vita section in Japanese game stores you might think again.

3 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I like this idea. Just use micro SDXC cards instead of those overpriced proprietary ones. I've seen a 512 GB mSDXC going for $100. Hopefully they could find some way to shrink PS4 base hardware into a unit the size of the Switch, and produce it a little more cheaply. They should add HDMI and 2 controller ports- that way if you're taking it to a hotel, you're all set to play on the room TV. That could be a decent competitor to Switch if they kept the price to about $300-350.

I really like that idea shrink the PS4 base hardware into a unit the size of the Switch!

Hot take: Yes I do. Maybe not in the forseeable future, but eventually yes. Right now sure, mobile market is king but.. cmon. Its a trend. People will eventually ask for more out of mobile phone gaming when they get tired of the same grindy MTX bullshit they're currently fed. Nintendo will probably have a handheld out then too, and Sony, seeing the market demand, would probably hop in. 

This is just a personal wish but yes, I'd kill for another Sony handheld. Without the mistakes of the Vita.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AuroraHistoire said:

Using Micro SD would have been better

Well, nowadays fortunately, people can use SD cards. Unfortunately, it requires jailbreaking your Vita. But it's really up to the user whether they want a finicky, expensive 64gb memory card, or an $2 SD2Vita. 

But yeah, Sony saying there's no future for handheld, is like when companies said that singleplayer games wouldn't do well in today's era (then they got proven wrong by Uncharted Lost Legacy, Spider-Man, and God of War)

1 hour ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Nintendo will probably have a handheld out then too, and Sony, seeing the market demand, would probably hop in. 

There is one thing that Sony would have over Nintendo. Trophies. Now, it might not be cared about by the general public, but I won't deny that a lot of games are played for for the trophies, whereas Nintendo is just for fun. Case-in-point the Call of Duty games. People will grind like hell to get the easter egg trophies done, or to get the campaign/multiplayer challenges done for the plat. Now, majority of people would just play games for the story and graphics, but companies know that DLC trophies keep people coming back for more (such as the NG+ trophies for various games). Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't think a new Sony handheld console is going to happen any time soon. Especially with the way they are moving towards streaming games now trying to fend off Google. If Sony had not killed all development for the Vita as quickly as it did, then I'm pretty sure we would have had a PS Now app on the Vita long ago.

How fast 5G will be adopted around the world will probably determine the future of game streaming to replace handheld consoles altogether. Then I could even see a PS Now Light console, something that costs $50 to make and they can sell you for $100. Something like the Vita but with minimal hardware to display 1080p video and a 5G card slot.

I know it's not as romantic as a PSP or a Vita, but I think I would really enjoy it anyway.

Having said that, I went on holiday to Germany a month ago and I could not even get decent 4G coverage. So this is probably a pipe dream from a spoiled person :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I'm pretty sure we would have had a PS Now app on the Vita long ago.

We did have PS Now on the Vita for a very, very short window.

6 hours ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

How fast 5G will be adopted around the world

5G in it's current incarnation is a terrible match for a handheld. It can't penetrate buildings and is a pretty big power hog.

I still think Sony has an eye on the mobile market and will wait for the right timing to jump back in. Possibly in the fashion you bring up "PS Now Light" or in the traditional sense.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

We did have PS Now on the Vita for a very, very short window.

5G in it's current incarnation is a terrible match for a handheld. It can't penetrate buildings and is a pretty big power hog.

Thanks for that info! I had no idea PS Now used to be available on Vita. What a shame that it was removed so soon.

I also did not know 5G was that bad. After doing some reading about it, it certainly appears to have some challenges.

I can only wish because I like taking the long dungeon crawler JRPG grinds to work and slowly work through them on breaks and lunch. Portable trophy hunting is nice and all but I highly doubt it'll happen.

My completely impossible dream though is to release something specifically only for remote play that has a hot spot built into it. That would mean only your wi-fi at home would need to be good and I'd assume a directly wired connection would be enough for all average services.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 3:11 AM, ArmoredSnowman said:

Well, nowadays fortunately, people can use SD cards. Unfortunately, it requires jailbreaking your Vita. But it's really up to the user whether they want a finicky, expensive 64gb memory card, or an $2 SD2Vita. 

Nice idea, except for that above part about having to JB the Vita to use it (big problem there!), and also not being able to put it in the proper memory card slot (it has to go in the game cartridge slot instead).

Although I love my VITA, most great games for it are from Japan, and Sony are now ruining games from that market. The only Sony product I would consider, due to lack of alternatives from the competition, would be PSVR2 (which means I'd have to get a PS5 of course). VR is the one great thing that happened this gen and I wouldn't like to be without it. For portable play i'd get the Switch with its uncensored games.

Regarding mobiles - that's not really gaming in the current incarnation. I could see Sony potentially having an Apple Arcade type subscription service however.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

I do hope we see one as lately I have been loving handheld gaming alot (I still don't own a Switch yet but with the holiday sales coming up that will definitely change ?) and I have been enjoying playing both on the PS Vita and N3DS on the go. I recently bought a few physical games for my Vita too like Person 4 Golden, Hyperdimension Neptunia series, and YS Memories of Celceta along with some N3DS titles.

I'm slowly expanding my library and hope to get some recommendations for both these systems as I have missed out alot and trying to catch up,if you would like to by PSN message! 

16 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Nice idea, except for that above part about having to JB the Vita to use it (big problem there!), and also not being able to put it in the proper memory card slot (it has to go in the game cartridge slot instead).

Yeah, guess it's better if you're a more digital-oriented person, though that would mean you'd have to do Hakoom's account switching method to do different regions of games. I really wish Sony didn't screw their users with that. Multi-user + SD would've been great, since Vita can be expensive. That's what I like about my Switch, that it allows multiple accounts.