TheHarryGamer99

PS3 Not Reading disc

23 posts in this topic

Hi fellow psnprofiles users. I am looking for help with my ps3. I have tried the following:

1) Turning the machine on and off.

2) Eject and Inserting the disc again.

3) Trying a different disc.

4) Eject and Inserting the disc again while holding the ps3.

5) Placing a Cd into my ps3.

Number 5 was read by my ps3 so I think it is a issue with my PlayStation reading blurays. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, sounds like your Blu-ray player is dead in your PS3. Try playing a downloadable game, and that'll confirm it. If you can, it's definitely the Blu-ray.

Unfortunately I think you are SOL. I had to get a new PS3 when this happened to me. It's either that or take apart your PS3 and replace it yourself (YT it). Not sure if you can still send it to Sony to fix. I think that depends on your warranty, which I imagined has expired by now.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

This is going to sound crazy, but try switching your PS3's stance from horizontal to vertical. When my PS2 started getting weird on me where reading discs are concerned, that did the trick for years and years... until it inevitably toppled over and went dead for reals, scratching my copy of Tony Hawk's Underground beyond repair in the process.

Who knows if it'll work on the PS3 or if we even had the same problem, but hey, you've got nothing to lose from giving it a go.

i had this problem with my old fat ps3 long ago, and i replaced the drive.

But at this point it might be cheaper and simpler to just buy another ps3. Complare prices between a used ps3 and a bluray drive and make your decision.

Its a pretty simple procedure but just make sure if you buy a new drive that it will be compatible with you ps3 model.

12 minutes ago, AK-1138 said:

This is going to sound crazy, but try switching your PS3's stance from horizontal to vertical. When my PS2 started getting weird on me where reading discs are concerned, that did the trick for years and years... until it inevitably toppled over and went dead for reals, scratching my copy of Tony Hawk's Underground beyond repair in the process.

Who knows if it'll work on the PS3 or if we even had the same problem, but hey, you've got nothing to lose from giving it a go.

Nothing to lose but everything to gain

Just put your saved files on a flash drive and sync your trophies before doing anything too crazy. 

My PS3's blu-ray laser is going out too, not completely dead yet but almost there. You said your PS3 can read standard CDs so I thought I would share a trick I use for my own PS3 when it doesn't want to read blu-rays. Simply insert a CD or PS1 game and make sure the PS3 reads it (loading circle stops spinning in the top right of the XMB). Then, quickly swap out the CD for a blu-ray disc, and it should read it. It has to be fairly quick and sometimes it just doesn't work at all. I use a PS3 slim if that makes any difference. If this doesn't work, unfortunately the only thing I can really suggest is to replace the disc drive. Good luck.

I have this issue with my ps4 pro.

What i did is : put it on its side and bitch slap it every time i boot it up. You know, the old-fashioned way of repairing stuff:eyebrow:

Works like a charm, so might do wonders for your ps3?...

I only have 2 more cd games to play in ps3 but i am suffering too

What i do it is just holding it upwards with my finger and it works

Hoping to finish with those game and not to have to insert anything in ps3. I have the rest in digital but yeah same feeling here

Could just simply need cleaning, I don't know how easy the OG one is to get to if that's what you have, but if you have a slim then its easy, a super slim just simply wipe it as its easily accessible. I use wipes for glasses. My friends stopped reading discs, i just wiped the laser and 3 years later its still working. 

Happened to me some years ago

i called a local computer repair shop and they were able to swap out my bluray drive for a new one

You have many options.

1. Clean the laser with a qtip and some IPA

2. Adjust the pots of the laser.

3. Replace the laser.

4. Get a replacement drive

5. Replace the system 

It happened to me a few months ago, Blu-ray (movies or PS3 games) was dead, but PSOne or DVD movies were still playing fine.

If like me you buy another PS3, I'm sharing some advice from my own experience about backing up your save files / trophies / installed game:

Because I'm smart (at least I thought so), I bought the exact same model again (PS3 slim) and thought just switch the HDD (same model of course) would prevent me to do complicated stuff to keep my datas.

But for some reason (Sony protections?) my new slim couldn't read / boot my HDD from the dying slim and same for new HDD on old / dying slim.

After got pissed off because I tried this for nothing, I just did it the legit way by linking my two slims together with an ethernet / LAN cable, used Data Transfer Utility and everything went fine.

Even the protected saves that couldn't be copied to an USB flash drive moved to my current PS3 and I could also finish :platinum: games I started years ago (and nearly gave up) on my previous / dying slim.

🇬🇧 https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

🇫🇷 https://manuals.playstation.net/document/fr/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html

Edited by FinalFan

I have been here 20 minutes trying with the ff13 disc and then with bad company 1 cd no problem every time i try

I think mine is having problem with big content cds

I keep trying...

One of my oldest PS3s has a similar issue. Upon turning it on, it won't read any disc no matter what. Wait 20-30 minutes, and it'll then read any game disc. Sometimes, after 10-15 minutes, I try swapping the game disc I was trying to play with another one and then come back to the one I was originally trying to play and it'll read the disc. Once it starts reading discs and remains turned on, it never fails on reading any other game after that. Games work fine too, no freezing, no soundtracks are skipped, the game just works great. If I happen to turn the console off and then turn it on again after more than 2 minutes, it won't read any game discs again.

What kind of problem is this exactly? No idea. Most likely a worn-out laser that needs replacement. It's been a couple of years since I last opened my console, but last time I cleaned it, it was already doing this so... Yeah, actually waiting on the laser to finally die in order to get a replacement. Hasn't happened yet but I've noticed the timeframe in which I've to wait for a game to load has been slightly increasing.

The console with this problem is a 160 GB Slim Model (CECH-2501A). It lays horizontally on my setup. It's pretty stock overall, the only upgrade I did was to replace the original HDD with a 1 TB one.

On 16/10/2019 at 11:24 AM, waltdisneypixar said:

I have been here 20 minutes trying with the ff13 disc and then with bad company 1 cd no problem every time i try

I think mine is having problem with big content cds

I keep trying...

Final Fantasy XIII is a dual-layered Blu-ray Disc, which is the first type of disc to not be read properly if your PS3 drive laser is failing due to either age or dust.

53 minutes ago, Otonio_Bruno said:

Final Fantasy XIII is a dual-layered Blu-ray Disc, which is the first type of disc to not be read properly if your PS3 drive laser is failing due to either age or dust.

Not only that, but FFXIII is known to have a few defective print runs of the disc and has been shown to flat out brick the console.

I literally just overcame this issue.

My slim model 250GB PS3 would not read any Blu-rays but I could still access all other features, play CDs, DVDs and PS1 discs. I tried all suggested solutions such as deleting corrupted data, inserting disc while the PS3 was lifted at an angle and even opening up the PS3 to clean the Blu-ray lens but none of those worked. So I looked up the model number and bought the corresponding Blu-ray lens deck off Amazon and with shipping it was $25. Of course it came from China so it took a few weeks for it to arrive, but when it did I opened the PS3 back up and replaced the old lens deck with the new one and presto I was back to playing PS3 discs again with no issue.

I had no experience whatsoever opening up a console and taking it apart piece by piece, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how simple and straightforward the PS3 was inside so I was able to get right down to the lens deck without any problem.

15 hours ago, JRL_1004 said:

I literally just overcame this issue.

My slim model 250GB PS3 would not read any Blu-rays but I could still access all other features, play CDs, DVDs and PS1 discs. I tried all suggested solutions such as deleting corrupted data, inserting disc while the PS3 was lifted at an angle and even opening up the PS3 to clean the Blu-ray lens but none of those worked. So I looked up the model number and bought the corresponding Blu-ray lens deck off Amazon and with shipping it was $25. Of course it came from China so it took a few weeks for it to arrive, but when it did I opened the PS3 back up and replaced the old lens deck with the new one and presto I was back to playing PS3 discs again with no issue.

I had no experience whatsoever opening up a console and taking it apart piece by piece, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how simple and straightforward the PS3 was inside so I was able to get right down to the lens deck without any problem.

Yeah that is want I am going to do.