Do not Delete your User Settings File!

wilwheaton5

Hey guys, so a couple of weeks ago I accidentally lost my user settings file and half of my stuff! What happened was I started the game when it came out at my friend's house on his PlayStation so we could play coop, This was just after I changed my PSN password and I couldn't remember what it was, so I just created a character and played. Then naturally when I got back home I started a new solo character which created a new user settings file on my PlayStation, Long story short when I eventually logged back into my PSN account on his PlayStation later and downloaded my new user setting file, it overwrote the one on his console and I lost half of my stuff. My own mistake I know, but this is what I ended up losing: 

• Most of my cosmetic items: Skins, Heads, Room decorations (even cosmetics that I earned as quest rewards from missions)
  • All the weapons that were stored in my bank. 
  • My Bank and Lost Loot SDU upgrades. (I still had all my other SDU upgrades thankfully)
  • All the golden keys that I had redeemed up until that point. 

Beyond that everything that was in my inventory was thankfully safe. I have no idea why Gearbox decided to store half of your character's stuff in the user settings file and not just your character save like in previous games. At the time I overwrote the user settings file thinking nothing of it only to find out afterwards what had happened. 

Edited by wilwheaton5
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I don't know why the cosmetics and certain SDUs are now stored in the Settings file but BL2 and TPS, stored a lot of things in the Settings file to allow other characters to have access to the Badass Ranks, Item Stash and the Golden Keys.

Ya I guess. I never really used golden keys in those games so it never affected my game and I get things like Badass ranks so the characters can share it. But the fact that I lost my cosmetics and all the legendary weapons I had stored is stupid. I know the new bank system is shared between your characters, but I honestly would have just prefered the locker to come back so you could share guns that way. Needless to say, I have gotten back some of my cosmetics that I had to rebuy. I just wanted to put this up to anyone who didn't know. 

Edited by wilwheaton5

On 16-10-2019 at 6:18 PM, wilwheaton5 said:

I have no idea why Gearbox decided to store half of your character's stuff in the user settings file and not just your character save like in previous games.

They did this because you now share the safe for items between all your characters.

Also the user setting profile always stored golden keys. Because these items where game based and not save based.

Just back them up to PS Plus or a USB drive.

21 hours ago, Vive_ut_vivas said:

They did this because you now share the safe for items between all your characters.

Also the user setting profile always stored golden keys. Because these items where game based and not save based.

Just back them up to PS Plus or a USB drive.

Ya, I know. I understand now why they did it, but I still think they could have done a better job of informing you that the shared stuff is stored there. Naming the file User Settings makes me initially think it's not important, they should have called it shared data or something, just so I initially know that it's important to back it up. But either way, I make sure to back up my user settings file each time now.