I'm getting "your wireless controller was disconnected" with my wired controller

Varhur

Reposting, because no one cared the other time

So, while playing TLoU on PS3, i've noticed that sometimes my character would just walk without any inputs - sometimes backwards, sometimes in front. Now i'm getting "up" inputs even in my XMB menu, about once per second. Also, despite my controller being wired, i get notifications that my "wireless" controller wasn't detected. Appears for split second (though lately it seems to stay longer sometimes), then disappears without me correcting anything, like how the pad is connected to the console.

The temporal fix that i've found was plugging off the Genesis pad, plugging in my Dualshock controller, then plug it off to put Genesis back, turn it into controller 1, then deactivate controller 2. Doesn't stop the wireless controller bs though.

Anything knowledgable can give an advice on that?

Yeah, your controller is wearing down. Sounds like either the battery in the controller or USB cable is shot and the drifting with the sticks are worn down to where they now drift.

How to fix it? Get a new controller! :P The analogue sticks are replaceable (have to take apart the controller), but idk if that battery is easily replaceable if it is the battery.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

16 hours ago, maiathewinners said:

The controller is broken. If your character starts walking for itself it's pretty much the controller reaching his final moments. The wireless message can also happen due to bad contact between the USB stick and the console. 

I have the controller for 2.5 weeks, shouldn't it live like, you know, longer? Plus, i don't understand why the workaround for self-moving even works. Because it's not happening all the time, sometimes it will just do that.

1 hour ago, DarkSoleride said:

If you have a PS4 you can just connect your DualShock 4 controller to the PS3 via cable and that will work the same as a PS3 controller just the "Home" button does not work but everything else works fine? 

Don't have PS4 ?

2 hours ago, Helyx said:

As I noted above, PS3s have issues with 3rd party peripherals. Depending on your other USB and BluTooth devices, the PS3 can have problems almost like IRQ conflicts on old Windows installations.

The main issue is that it sometimes just takes one input and repeats it over and over - up arrow on D-Pad, moving right stick to the right, tbh anything at this point. Is that issue possible with problem you're referring to?

27 minutes ago, Varhur said:

The main issue is that it sometimes just takes one input and repeats it over and over - up arrow on D-Pad, moving right stick to the right

Silly question, but have you tried cleaning the USB ports?

analog stick is def bad. ive went through at least 16 ps3 controllers. tried taking parts from controllers and putting them in other controllers but those sneaky buggers molded the insides differently every so often to make them not interchangeable

the disconnection could be a usb port problem or a dead battery in the controller. i have 2 controllers that wont charge at all so i have to use them wired, they will randomly shut off. you can sometimes help this by using a usb multiport extension. for some reason these make usb ports work better. my ps3 phat that has 4 usb ports all the ports wont work, but if i plug in a little tiny square stick that has 4 ports on the stick they magically work.

On 10/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, Varhur said:

I have the controller for 2.5 weeks, shouldn't it live like, you know, longer? Plus, i don't understand why the workaround for self-moving even works. Because it's not happening all the time, sometimes it will just do that.

sounds like you got a bad controller if it died that quickly, unfortunately it does happen. return it. 

• Like 1