Describe the game

Romikot84

Hi,

I want to try the game, but cant decide if I would like this game, I saw and read few reviews but cant really understand the mechanics of the game.

In some of the reviews its compared(gameplay wise) to souls like games( I love those) and in other its compared to horizon zero dawn(that I liked the story but not the gameplay...

Can you from your experiance describe the game?

Is there anything out there that similiar?

Hunt Monster, Get Materials, Craft gear, repeat.

Souls like in that the harder monsters can (and will) one shot you if you aren't careful. I don't see it like HZD at all.

The game is incredibly fun. Hunting a monster that is really difficult, learning it, and then spanking it is extremely satisfying. If you are a trophy completionist, prepare for a long grind.

They do demo weekends every now and then, maybe watch out for one of those and test it out?

• Like 3

Absolutely nothing like HZD.

Doesn't really have much of a story, gameplay is very grind heavy.  Controls are a bit heavy, and take some getting used to.

All that said, it is fun.

EDIT.  I know you asked for something to compare it to, but I honestly have not played anything else like it.  I don't really have something to compare it to.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 2

I guess my experience was not as great as others. I felt the game to be very tedious in several ways, with too much recycled content, lacking in some quality of life features it should definitely have and the game almost goes out of its way to give you as little information as possible. Some things I only found out 200 hours in because I was told my other people, someone I know played for even longer but didn't know about the last progression step because once again, this game does not tell you shit, a guide is almost required or you make your life a lot harder than it needs to be. Story is bare bones, some characters like the handler are downright insufferable, almost none of them are memorable. The worst problems the game had for me were the melee combat feeling pretty bad, so bad that I stuck with the bow for most of my playthrough to avoid it, and the heavy rng involved in nearly every part of the game, including progression.

Game balance is lacking, enemies take way too long to kill and chainstun you at will, occasionally getting you from 100 to 0 over several chained hits without you being able to do anything, hitboxes of some monsters are highly questionable (hi Nergi, hi Lavasioth) and difficulty spikes are bordering on the absurd at times, basically forcing you to grind the same monsters over and over again to increase your chances.

And grinding is what it ultimately comes down to, the number of monsters is inflated by a lot, many monsters are carbon copies of each other with little additions like a different color or an extra attack. Most monsters have 2 variants, cutting the actual number of them in half, some might only have one but then theres some like Rathalos or Rathian that have 3 variants each. The game does not nearly have the variation it seems to have, second half of the game is basically most of the monsters you already spent many hour fighting but they are "tempered" now, which means they have inflated hp and damage, no new attacks or behavior. Theres also arch tempered too, almost the same thing with them but they have at least some small changes to them, but most of their appeal comes from taking forever to kill.

You can have a lot of fun with it if you play with friends and like the admittedly great soundtrack, but you should not expect too much out of this game, if you expect a masterpiece you are likely to get disappointed, because it simply isn't on that level. As someone who has not played past games I can say without nostalgia goggles that I really do not understand why this game has such a cult following, because to me it is a game that is average at some times, good at others, but can also downright suck on occasion. Oh and going for the platinum is a miserable experience, it might be the nastiest grind I have done due to it being very long and also heavily rng based with the gold crowns, so very hard to sit through. Btw thats coming from someone who grinded the plat for Orcs Must Die Unchained for hundreds of hours, so you have been warned. I say this much about the weapons though, most of them might feel like crap to me, but they do indeed play differently, so you should find at least one weapon that is somewhat to your liking, like I did with the bow.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

The game has some major components:

1. Crafting
  2. Exploration (finding tracks, collecting, harvesting materials from mineral and plant nodes and from dead monster bodies)
  3. Methodical melee combat simulation against tough monsters alone or with up to 3 other players 
  4. Preparing for hunts and item inventory and loadout management
  5. Studying monsters, there are different knowledge levels in the game each unlocking more information and benefits against them
  6. Farming monsters for step 1

The game has earplugs against the dragon shouts that reduce your flinching and you will flinch a lot, this is all you need to know xD

For me it's one of the most immersive and best games I've ever played, just started on PS4 pro but I've played almost 200 hours on XB1 already. It's amazing, go get it.

Edited by Cyphronaut