Hideki Kamiya and Ikumi Nakamura Tease a Sequel for Okami

ziggypossum

22UNfXr.jpg

Hideki Kamiya and Ikumi Nakamura Tease a Sequel for Okami

While Okami was a one-time release for Capcom and somewhat of a sleeper hit for director Hideki Kamiya, the creator has talked up returning to the painterly action-adventure once more.

The developer shared a message with Ikumi Nakamura, a fellow Capcom-alum that also worked on the acclaimed game as background artist. Both creators shared the following message, teasing the game will return:

“Okami is going to be back!,” the pair tweeted this morning. “We want to make Okami sequel and fans are looking forward to it too. You guys want to see Kamiya’s Okami again, right, everyone? I want to work on it too! 大神をまた作りたい私たちです(English: We want to make Okami again).”

Nakamura added, “I want to see simply great games and games that gamers want to play be developed. I don’t understand budgets and politics. I just want to continue to be a creator that can say that great things are great. Okami is one of those that have the power to overcome all of that.”

It’s worth pointing out that Nakamura recently departed from Tango Gameworks, where she was leading the development of GhostWire: Tokyo. As she is now looking for a new development studio to work under, it makes sense she would return to her roots and former co-workers.

https://nichegamer.com/2019/10/18/hideki-kamiya-and-ikumi-nakamura-tease-a-sequel-for-okami/

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/18/okami-2-announced-platinumgames-ikumi-nakamura-maybe-not-sure-10943899/

• Like 4

Okamiden was very disappointing, not to mention that instead of been on the ps3 or the wii at the time since the ps2 and the Wii got the game they release it on the SD of all places... which most of the install base of the system never even played Okami.

let's just hope this " Sequel " won't be a mobile game as it most likely would be a mobile game.

Edited by yellowwindow7

I'm actually invested!!! Can't wait for a true sequel!!

15 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

I have quite a few qualms about Okami but hopefully a sequel could fix most of that. Been meaning to replay it for trophies to see if playing with a controller instead of the Wii mote is any better of an experience.

It is way better, actually. Been playing it since PS2, and at first it may feel weird, but the controls are pretty good. Do yourself a favour and play it. PS3 and PS4 trophies lists are compatible between each other, but there's no cross save, sadly. I'd reccomend getting the PS4 version, since it takes full advantage of the graphics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowwindow7 said:

Okamiden was very disappointing, not to mention that instead of been on the ps3 or the wii at the time since the ps2 and the Wii got the game they release it on the SD of all places... which most of the install base of the system never even played Okami.

let's just hope this " Sequel " won't be a mobile game as it most likely would be a mobile game.

It's pretty logical why they released Okamiden on the DS. With how the game uses a paintbrush, it can take full advantage of the DS's touch screen. Plus the story was made to welcome new people in who didn't play the first game. 

• Like 1

as a guy who loves the ps2 original and the ps3 hd release (and 100% boths) i will buy a sequel in a heartbeat if some day happens, kamina and capcom must decide to forget the differences and join forces one more time for this.

and if by some miracle, the alliance works and we got the sequel...

make it harder, its really my only complain to the original, i mean god hand was hard, really hard, soul shatters if you will, and viewtiful joe was kinda in the middle, but okami was easy. like how to guess what a godsend zombie thinks easy.

but we can only dream, we are humans after all.......or we can just piss off kamina sending tweets over this XP 

AccessEngage21.png

Edited by AccessEngage21

I don't want to be THAT guy, but don't get you hopes too high. This is far from the first time that Kamiya teased an Okami sequel, be it on interview or on twitter, and has called Capcom to hire him and Platinum to do it. He also said he was ready to do a new DMC, be it a new episode or a remake of his first episode. He said he would even be ready to do a DMC x Bayonetta crossover.

So I'm not saying it won't be happening, but you shouldn't expect too much of what is a tweet from a legendary internet troll and a cute and an affable woman who love jokes and pranks.

(and Okamiden may not be as good and epic as his big brother was but its was a fun game nonetheless and definitely the cutest there is on DS)

• Like 4

On 10/18/2019 at 5:26 PM, Folkenio said:

I'm actually invested!!! Can't wait for a true sequel!!

It is way better, actually. Been playing it since PS2, and at first it may feel weird, but the controls are pretty good. Do yourself a favour and play it. PS3 and PS4 trophies lists are compatible between each other, but there's no cross save, sadly. I'd reccomend getting the PS4 version, since it takes full advantage of the graphics.

Been wanting to then always remember Cat Call Tower, refighting that long boss 3 times, and a few minor things that's probably just the Wii mote's fault and just decide not to. PS4 version is probably cheap now, was like $20 at release if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

tumblr_mcomfzuSDx1qcq1j3o4_500.gif
Victory howl if this ever happens! :awesome:

For real, Okami was a pretty awesome and unique game. Played it first time on the Wii and it was one of my top three played games on the console coming right after SSB and Mario Kart. That says a lot. I got the HD version on PS3 and enjoyed my time going after the Platinum. The only thing I'm missing is a physical version of it on PS3 or PS4. Should this Okami sequel ever come to fruition, you can bet I'll be looking forward to getting it. Such a beautiful and heartwarming game. ^_^
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I don't think Ōkami 2 is coming. But here's Ikumi Nakamura playing the original game in her new studio: 

She also shared some more interesting facts about its development on her Twitter. 

• Like 1