Trophy tips for BG2

skroq

2 hours ago, maisie666 said:

Nalia must be in the party when you enter the basement.  i lost a hour trying to work that one out.  And promise to help Jan at the end of his quest.  Take yoshimo to spellhold. 

Thanks for the guides, the SOD one was invaluable.

Yeah, i too made a mistake with Nalia :)

i am busy with Icewind Dale lol, i will add bit by bit to the guide

I got the bg2 plat last night and i m all wiki'ed out, i m going to wait until theres a ID guide before i start.   If you do one, thanks in advance.  Time to meander through Planescape.

For anyone struggling with with legacy of bhaal difficulty in SOA.  SPOILER ALERT  This is a Major spoiler that will wreck the challenge of LOB.  

Spoiler

Summon Planetar.  Just keep pushing it ahead into enemy groups and stand around out of sight until it kills everything.  I pushed it into the chapter 6 bodhi boss fight room and closed the door behind.  It also fills the role of level 7 cleric with raise dead and restoration.  It can also summon other high level summons as well.

Edited by maisie666
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Zalos44 said:

Hello Maisie!

I have been struggling with LoB on BG2. I have made it to Spellhold for now. Don't you need to be level 20 with a spellcaster to get *that*? How did you do it? Unless you imported a ToB character,

You can use other summons like skeletons from cleric. They also have a lot of HP

I ran a mage and barbarian 2 person party from the start of bg1(mage to spam wands of paralysis/monster summoning) and they were level 21? by the end of SOA where i exported them after getting the xp for killing the dragon in hell.  TOB characters won t export to SOA.   Can you reload and grab Edwin? Viconia is in the govt area and is also pretty useful.  I d say 2 summoners and 4 smashers worked for me.

Spoiler

Whats your party composition?   I ran 4 of my barbarian clones, and 2 level 21 mages to start SOA hard mode, so i could spam high level summons to push into enemies and sit back until they were weakened to the point i send in the barbarians.  Planetar killed bohdi and her posse, Irenicus, all the enemies in the elven city.  I just stood back and watched.  Id  avoid  the cacofiend summons etc.  I think it would work fine with lower level summons, just take longer, i agree that skeletons are a good choice.  I summon, and then scroll over to where i think the enemies are and send them over.   The trick is not to let the members of your party engage.  once something dies,  i save, rest if needed and do it again.   If someone dies, just use planetar to raise and heal  them.

Other than that i would say is take the portal in spellhold, and get the sungem, get transformed and then head back through the fishfolk and talk your way to the surface skipping the entire dark elf city.  Save at every opportunity.  There is a group invisibility spell for sale at the start of the underdark that helps also.  Sell all drow items before you leave the underdark.

I also went straight to the slave lord compound from start, got the good drops, sold them and ran a barbarian with the staff +4 , one with celestial fury, cast limited wish for the awesome sword, so my team was ready to smash from the start and you have the 15000 from selling the rest of the loot within 60 mins of start, then you could grab Edwina and Viconia so if you feel you are at a dead end its not too much to restart. Its kind of tedious on LOB difficulty, and i m glad to be done with it.   I m going to take a couple month break until i start Icewind Dale because of the HOF difficulty trophy and the wiki OD factor.

Hope this helps

Edited by maisie666

Omg. I ran through almost an entire ToB playthrough a second time to level up mages and thieves, so that I can export them to SoA with HLAs. Now, I find out that unlike on PC you cannot export from ToB to SoA. WTF?! Is there really no way? That is maddening.

Now I'm stuck. I will have to continue with my SoA party (5 barbarians + Nalia/Imoen) which can barely live through any large group of enemies... or restart on easy and grind mages to 20 and then restart LoB... Ugh.

17 hours ago, Zalos44 said:

Omg. I ran through almost an entire ToB playthrough a second time to level up mages and thieves, so that I can export them to SoA with HLAs. Now, I find out that unlike on PC you cannot export from ToB to SoA. WTF?! Is there really no way? That is maddening.

Now I'm stuck. I will have to continue with my SoA party (5 barbarians + Nalia/Imoen) which can barely live through any large group of enemies... or restart on easy and grind mages to 20 and then restart LoB... Ugh.

Does one of your barb have Celestial Fury? This weapon is a must have for any playthrough as it stuns enemies including mages:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=bg2_items_Page&_cgifunction=search&bg2_items.id=156

IMHO one of the best weapons in the game.

I ended up restarting a BG2: SoA game and leveled up a sorcerer and a mage to level 23-24. Then, I remade a Legacy of Bhaal game and played with the 2 spellcasters and 4 barbarians. The characters were useless as the Planetar solo'ed the entire game. It took a while to do two playthroughs again, though. Anyway, plat is mine too.

• 3 months later...

I just got the platinum.  I used the five barbarian and sorcerer combo.  Summon Planetar combined with Mordenkainen's Sword is real deadly.  I also used Summon Hakeashar, Wyvern Call, Monster Summoning III and Simulacrum for the more difficult boss fights.  I didn't even have to equip my barbarians with good gear.    

Mass invisibility was also a life saver once I got to Suldanessellar.  I bypassed all the golems in the streets.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, aln15 said:

I just got the platinum.  I used the five barbarian and sorcerer combo.  Summon Planetar combined with Mordenkainen's Sword is real deadly.  I also used Summon Hakeashar, Wyvern Call, Monster Summoning III and Simulacrum for the more difficult boss fights.  I didn't even have to equip my barbarians with good gear.    

Mass invisibility was also a life saver once I got to Suldanessellar.  I bypassed all the golems in the streets.

How does this work? You create a whole party of custom characters you export at the end of the game?

i did the game on my first runthrough with only a barbarian and a mage from bg1 and played through in story mode.    Then when its time to start a hard mode run, you can create a party with the high level barbarian duped 5 times using Import character, and a mage.   You can choose Summon Planetar at level 20 mage.  You must export the characters before the final battle before you head to TOB as TOB characters wont export to BG2.

Edited by maisie666

On 2/28/2020 at 6:47 AM, fbdbh said:

How does this work? You create a whole party of custom characters you export at the end of the game?

I did a barbarian in BG1.  I imported my barbarian and created a sorcerer as a party member in BG2 for my story mode playthrough.  I exported my barbarian and sorcerer during the final battle with Irenicus in hell.  I imported 5 barbarians (1 as my main character) and the sorcerer for my BG2 Legacy of Bhaal playthrough.

I encountered a lucky glitch with one of my barbarians, which gave him 500 hit points in Irenicus' dungeon.  He eventually dropped to 300 hit points after I saved and reloaded outside the dungeon. 

Edited by aln15

• 1 month later...

So the trophy for completing the game on legacy of baal unlocked when completing the shadows of amn. I was under the impression that i had to do throne of baal as well.All that time wasted on grinding good weapons just to fight ravager. Is it supposed to work like this?

EDIT: guess i should have read the guide better.

Edited by Vern3r0z

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just a little detail, about Jaheira: not only do you have to free her, but you also have to at the very least ask her to join, else she goes away on her own and completely disappears from this playthrough forever. You don’t have to actually let her join, you can just ask her to join and dismiss her outright if your group is full, it works too. Anyway her quest is easy and fast, not even needed to fight if you pay up full price to the mage.

Another thing for the armor of Balduran, instead of bothering yourself with having to do a playthrough with a fighter main, you can just have a character carry the pieces in your inventory, export it, create a new game in Throne of Bhaal with a new fighter main and the character you just exported as second, give all the stuff to the main and that’s it.

Now, if you want to add some extra cheese to your LoB playthrough, let me introduce you to these couple exploits:

- Infinite gold: If you didn’t know, you can steal from merchants’ inventories, but not all of them, it works the same as pickpocket, you have to speak to them with a thief or anyone with a pickpocket stat. Also only some merchants can buy stolen items, they’re called fences, most fences are the shadow thieves acting like merchants. Now if you didn’t get it I’ll explain it to you: you can just sell and steal back the same item over and over, provided a high enough pickpocket stat to garantee success. I can give you an easy setup: Jayes in Waukeen’s promenade works for this. He is in an alcove on the right of the southeastern gate, but only at night. I know for a fact he has 50 in pickpockets so your thief needs at least 150 himself to counter that and garantee 100% success. You can sell an expensive item until you got about 40k gold (helm of Balduran if you grabbed it in Irenicus lair), buy the plate of Balduran in Ribald’s store, then sell it repeatedly for 10k each time.  This will get you a million gold in about 5-10 min, allowing you to buy great gear, scrolls and potions you need at Ribald’s, Joluv (in Copper Coronet) and others from the start… And also not having to do quests to pay Gaelan or Bhodi the 15k gold.
If you don’t have a thief, you can recruit Jan Jensen in the government district easily. If your main has at least 1,25m xp, Jan will be capped at that (there may be a slight delay between recruiting and getting scaled up), it’s enough to upgrade his pickpocketing to 150. Else you could get around 120 and use a potion of master-thief.

- Smuggle the rift device out of the sewers and use it infinitely: First and foremost, you can only do this with a lawful or chaotic neutral main, which has a class able to use arcane magic or arcane scrolls (it includes thieves if you have the skill « use any item »).

The rift device is a quickslot item which, used on any enemy in the game, reduces its HP to 1. It only has one charge though, and you can never recharge it. You get this from doing the cult of the eyeless quest to full.

For the exploit you first need to summon either a ferret or cat familiar (hence the alignment requirement), who are both able to pickpocket stuff. Put the rift device in a companion’s empty inventory (preferably one that has low or no pickpocket stat, because familiar don’t have a big stat either), pickpocket with the familiar from your teammate, it may take a few attempts (ferret is better than cat if it matters)… When it’s done, let him keep it. When you go back to the sewers first floor, it won’t trigger the instant death because it won’t detect the rift device on your familiar. Once you’re back on the surface, you’re safe to take it back by speaking to the familiar. Careful, you can’t go back in the sewers with the device ever, and your familiar won’t pickpocket it again. If you need to go back there, drop it on the floor or put it in a container, container is safer because it might depop if dropped on the floor and you lose it forever. You can still complete the quest and receive your rewards even if you didn’t give the device back. This item will allow you to 2-shot anything in the game (since it leaves 1 HP), this means all incarnations of Bhodi and Irenicus, Slayers, the dragons etc… You could skip the whole Underdark chapter by using it on Adalon and kill her easily, if you don’t care.
The quest itself isn’t that hard, you could skip most fights running fast, hasted. You don’t even have to kill the Eyeless, just run to the second part of the device, take it and go away (it won’t finish the quest though)

- Now to make it unlimited, since it’s a quick slot item, you only need the ability to summon clones, this can be done in several ways: either use a spell/scroll of project image or simulacrum, use Vhailor’s helm daily power, use a shadowdancer’s shadow twin… The clone will have a copy of the rift device for you to use, which won’t consume the original. Works on any quick slot by the way so feel free to use scrolls and other items infinitely too! Also works with spells though some clones like simulacrum may be limited by a lower spell memory.

- Skip some of the trials of Bhaal and get the same bonus multiple times: this one isn’t a big thing but you can skip the annoying ones, like Sarevok’s wraith, the beholder/terror cave or the one in which you either lose stats or a companion in your team. Do one of the easy trials to get the tear, then use it on the door: as soon as you hear the explosion, hit pause, drop the tear on the ground from inventory, and unpause. You get your bonus, can grab the tear back and you can activate the door again with the same tear. After doing it 5 times it will trigger the boss fight like normal. This also allows you to have multiple copies of the same bonus, so you could get say either -10 saving throws bonus on everything (minus is good, -1 saving throw is enough to be immune to effects, unless buffs/debuffs to throws apply which happens very often so you won’t cancel effects 100% of the time, more like 95%), 50% innate magic resistance, 100% resistance to fire/elec/cold (so immunity, >100% the element will heal you instead of damaging)… Well I guess it’s better if you can do that BEFORE your LoB of course, in your first playthrough since the bonus stay on your character forever even exported, just don’t forget you’re limited to 5 activation even if the locks don’t explode.

If you want to combine rewards you can, you just have to do the trial you want the reward from, repeat the exploit the number of times you want, but making sure the tear consumes on the last attempt (say you want 30% magic resistance with something else, you drop the tear twice and let it consume on the third time), then do another trial you also want rewards from. 

Edited by GastNDorf

• 2 months later...

Great guides for all Baldur's Gates. Helped a lot.

It's shame how they handled Throne of Bhaal trophies. I would prefer them as 'DLC' pack with more interesting trophies then mostly story related. I would prefer trophy for Pantaloons over Balduran's set for example. They could add trophy for Watcher's Keep or for Lich side quest or even for Sarevok character development. 

Edited by WiktorM101