Read and experience the story...

turniplord

54 minutes ago, turniplord said:

So, Raging Loop is now out in EU and out tomorrow in NA - there are guides out there showing you how to get the platinum in under 30 mins by using the mechanic which was placed in the game in case a pathway or option doesn't unlock (basically unlocking the whole timeline from the start).
Just for context, reading the story, playing through each pathway, replaying the game for the optional revelation comments and getting the platinum, took me about 40-45 hours.

Wow. A 45 hour game can be reduced to a 30 min platinum?!?

For clarification, can you use the mechanic at any point of the game? In particular, can I play through one or two endings, and if things aren't unlocking (or I'm bored at that point), just use the mechanic to unlock the rest of the trophies?

45 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

It would be interesting to see how many people would even play games if they removed the trophies.  But, that is a different topic that has already been discussed. :hmm:

I think Certain gamers that are now fixated on the trophies will find it hard going back to playing a game for entertainment and enjoyment. Personally, I’ve enjoyed playing some games more on the Switch than the PS4, even though I have the game on both consoles, just because I’m not getting the urge to constantly look at what trophies there are and how to unlock them. 

I don’t really have an issue with trophy hunters in general, I just don’t understand why they’d buy visual novels and other such games with no intention on playing them, simply abusing the mechanics to get a quick platinum. Isn’t the point of a game to play it?

its like the other week, I was looking on ebay and I saw some people are offering a service where you pay them and they’ll unlock trophies for you. Sometimes they were charging more than the price of the game, just so you get the platinum. The whole thing is bonkers. 

initially I thought Nintendo was mad for not having trophies, but now I believe otherwise.  

• Like 1

People do this crap with steins gate, chaos child, fata morgana, etc... It's just so upsetting people ignore such amazing stories just so their profile can have bigger numbers. Every VN I've played I've put in minimum of 30 hours and they're worth the experience. 

2 hours ago, turniplord said:

I think Certain gamers that are now fixated on the trophies will find it hard going back to playing a game for entertainment and enjoyment. Personally, I’ve enjoyed playing some games more on the Switch than the PS4, even though I have the game on both consoles, just because I’m not getting the urge to constantly look at what trophies there are and how to unlock them. 

I don’t really have an issue with trophy hunters in general, I just don’t understand why they’d buy visual novels and other such games with no intention on playing them, simply abusing the mechanics to get a quick platinum. Isn’t the point of a game to play it?

its like the other week, I was looking on ebay and I saw some people are offering a service where you pay them and they’ll unlock trophies for you. Sometimes they were charging more than the price of the game, just so you get the platinum. The whole thing is bonkers. 

initially I thought Nintendo was mad for not having trophies, but now I believe otherwise.  

Yeah I've seen those trophy buying services, so dumb. People probably just want bragging rights but don't have the skill/time to do it themselves. It's just ridiculous to think people out there actually pay others to unlock trophies.

Also even with games like Destiny people will pay others to unlock weapons or beat the raids for them. 

Edited by aZombieDictator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, turniplord said:

As someone who plays for trophies a lot and makes guides (I might seem extremely biased to some) but I love Nintendo games too. I have a good few Switch games that I play on a regular basis, such as Mario Kart 8 or Untitled Goose Game. As much as I collect trophies, sometimes I like to get away from them too. Sometimes I turn my Switch on and just enjoy the game without worrying about trophies, so I agree with Turniplord, but I personally like to balance between the two platforms. 

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Wow. A 45 hour game can be reduced to a 30 min platinum?!?

For clarification, can you use the mechanic at any point of the game? In particular, can I play through one or two endings, and if things aren't unlocking (or I'm bored at that point), just use the mechanic to unlock the rest of the trophies?

Sorry, never saw this comment.

Technically, yeah. As you progress through the story, you'll follow a branching timeline. Each time you make a choice it branches and by the time you reach the final chapter, you'll have unlocked all of the timeline yourself.

I never encountered any issue with it unlocking things on its own, but I imagine there must be instances where it 'could' happen, that's why they put in this option rather than just ensuring the game doesn't ever need that option. 

Although, if you enjoy the story, you shouldn't really want to skip by using the option because each time you loop back to the beginning of the game, the narrative drastically changes as more people are introduced, the guardians pick different humans to posses and the story takes a new turn in regards to what's happening and what role you play in it. Then, once you've completed the game, you go back and unlock new pathways and make new discoveries so that you can work towards the best ending.

To back up though, the 'unlock' can be used whenever but it doesn't simply unlock the trophies - it just unlocks the timeline so you can, if you really have to, simply jump into specific moments and the trophies will pop. 

• Like 1

The only kinda annoying thing about this is that there probably won't be a legit trophy guide for the game now.

I get VN's because (obviously) I like them and it's my favorite genre. I follow trophy guides instead of playing blind because it's the most efficient way to go through the entire story/every route... not to just blast through for a 3 hour plat.

If people want to play these just for a the easy plat, then ok, more power to em. I want VN devs to get their money. But it just seems idiotic... Unless you get them on sale they are priced at standard game cost points, generally $40-60. It's not just some ratalakia game you get for three bucks, I don't see the value proposition there. 

Edited by BENJAM1N_LINUS
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

The only kinda annoying thing about this is that there probably won't be a legit trophy guide for the game now.

I get VN's because (obviously) I like them and it's my favorite genre. I follow trophy guides instead of playing blind because it's the most efficient way to go through the entire story/every route... not to just blast through for a 3 hour plat.

If people want to play these just for a the easy plat, then ok, more power to em. I want VN devs to get their money. But it just seems idiotic... Unless you get them on sale they are priced at standard game cost points, generally $40-60. It's not just some ratalakia game you get for three bucks, I don't see the value proposition there. 

I think Sean from Knoef guides will be writing a guide for this at some point - he doesn't like taking shortcuts so will most likely do a full guide for people wanting to experience the story.

That said though, if you play through the game normally, you won't miss anything. although there are branches at times, it's usually mandatory to experience all branches before you can proceed. The only trophies you may 'miss' are a few secret endings you can only find once you complete the game. As such, if you picked this up and played it blind, all you'd need to do, if you haven't found them, is look up certain trophies once you've finished for a hint on where to look. 

• Like 2

I just finished the first route of the game and I am really intrigued. I thought this game one of the many mediocore VNs, which I played too many of, but I the story is actually really fascinating. It bears a strong resemblence to the Higurashi and Umineko franchise. And I am a sucker for murder-mystery horror stories. So yeah, definitely play the game and enjoy the story.

while I get that many people are playing just for trophies, it is a real shame to skip this game in like 15 minutes just for a plat. It is the same for the utterly brilliant VN The House in Fata Morgana.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
23 hours ago, Gloom12356776543 said:

Is this a good game for VN beginner ? 1f605.png I never played any visual novel before but I was thinking about trying one for a long time and this one looks really interesting and I can buy it for 15€ Day one edition with Artbook 1f607.png

I personally loved it. I even played through it twice as once you've completed it you get to unlock a new mode where you can see what the characters are thinking - which actually changes the context of what's going on throughout the story.

This is a pure VN though, there's no mini-games or romance like you see in others, it's literally reading through the story and picking various actions at set points. The timeline is simple to use and you'll experience everything the game has to offer without any guide - well, apart from one ending if I recall correctly as it's a little more hands-on to unlock it.

But, if you like well-written horror stories with an interesting concept and set of characters, then you'll enjoy this VN. You'll like it even more if you've heard of 'Werewolf' before (the party game). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, turniplord said:

I personally loved it. I even played through it twice as once you've completed it you get to unlock a new mode where you can see what the characters are thinking - which actually changes the context of what's going on throughout the story.

This is a pure VN though, there's no mini-games or romance like you see in others, it's literally reading through the story and picking various actions at set points. The timeline is simple to use and you'll experience everything the game has to offer without any guide - well, apart from one ending if I recall correctly as it's a little more hands-on to unlock it.

But, if you like well-written horror stories with an interesting concept and set of characters, then you'll enjoy this VN. You'll like it even more if you've heard of 'Werewolf' before (the party game). 

Thank you for info, game ordered ? that no minigames part got me interested even more to be honest ? I like reading comics, so this game without any minigames/romances looks like "Virtual" comic to me, so thats what caught my attention, and I also love Horror, but I cant watch horror movies (Though Zombie movies and Resident Evil series are my favourites) or play most of horror games (Even though some of my Top games are Dying light, Dead Island 1,2, Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 Im weird I Know ?) because I cant stand jumpscares and too much scare at all ? so this looks like perfect fit for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/10/2019 at 10:17 PM, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

[snip]

I've never understood why people buy these games and immediately turn on Auto-skip. I do, of course, use the Skip Read option when it's time to plough through the alternative endings. However, to get to the point of my comment...

I look for PS Store discounts, which is how I often discover 'new' JNs, but I prefer to buy & keep Day One editions. So, I always search online first before going digital and in this case, I found the Day One on Amazon for a mere £7.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Xemik said:

I've never understood why people buy these games and immediately turn on Auto-skip. I do, of course, use the Skip Read option when it's time to plough through the alternative endings. However, to get to the point of my comment...

I look for PS Store discounts, which is how I often discover 'new' JNs, but I prefer to buy & keep Day One editions. So, I always search online first before going digital and in this case, I found the Day One on Amazon for a mere £7.

This x1,000^

Unless a VN turns out to be either irritating or mind numbingly boring, I always play it properly and if that means playing for 50hrs to get the Plat/100% then so be it. It annoys the hell out of me when people crow about buying any game, just so they can blitz it in a few mins - which is a complete waste of money IMO ?.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, HuntingFever said:

This x1,000^

Unless a VN turns out to be either irritating or mind numbingly boring, I always play it properly and if that means playing for 50hrs to get the Plat/100% then so be it. It annoys the hell out of me when people crow about buying any game, just so they can blitz it in a few mins - which is a complete waste of money IMO 1f621.png.

Yep. One of the things that annoys me about VN trophy guides is that when I look at how long it says to complete to get a rough idea of how long I can expect the game to take me, it's usually the skip length haha. Nah, man, I'm actually playing the game, how long is it :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BENJAM1N_LINUS said:

Yep. One of the things that annoys me about VN trophy guides is that when I look at how long it says to complete to get a rough idea of how long I can expect the game to take me, it's usually the skip length haha. Nah, man, I'm actually playing the game, how long is it :P

You are a man after my own heart. I can count on 1 hand, the number of VN Guides that give even a remotely accurate time to completion.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

I only use guides for VNs for a clean up of all routes/trophies after my initial walkthrough, but yeah, the completion time in guides is always for skipping through the game. I never skip text that is new to me.

On one hand it is such a shame, that many people don't bother reading the stories because there are so many great stories and thankfully we are getting a lot more translations than even just five years ago. On the other hand, even the guys that are just skipping everything pay money for the game, so the developer gets paid and we (the guys that actually read VNs) get more games for our enjoyment, so I'm not too bitter about seeing people just buy them for easy trophies.

• Like 2