Games appearing both on this generation and the next generation of consoles

Matthew_Banfield

Hi all,

I was just reading threads about games such as watch dogs and call of duty ghosts and it got me thinking...

Is anyone else slightly concerned about buying games that are appearing on both this generation and the next generation of consoles?

For example, I was wondering if because watch dogs is out on both ps3 and ps4 will the ps4 version not be as impressive as titles that are solely coming out on next gen... Or have companies made two forms of the same game?

MB

As I don't buy new games at full price anyway and I will be getting a ps4 maybe in 3 or 4 years for me it's no problem. I will buy the games later on ps4. But your concern is valid, I was thinking the same. The PS4 games will have more features as Bollox said.

Heres my thoughts on it. Say they cant deliver a different experience and the graphics look the same as ps3. No loss. Some games are amazing as they are right now. My point though is your ps4 will be a better experience. You will get a better frame rate probably. Load times will decrease. Etc etc. However! The ps4 is based on pc architecture, and om pretty sure its easier to port it for ps4 than it is for ps3. Which if its more like a pc title we can expect full 1080p, smooth, fun gaming. But thats just my thought. Ill be buying any cross gen titles on ps4 anyways

• Like 1

For example, I was wondering if because watch dogs is out on both ps3 and ps4 will the ps4 version not be as impressive as titles that are solely coming out on next gen... Or have companies made two forms of the same game?

Most games are developed to a higher graphical standard than the current generation consoles are capable of running, they then scale the game back for current gen consoles, hence why the PC version tends to look considerably better. I'm guessing the PS4 version will be roughly on par with the PC version running on the highest graphical settings, whilst the PS3 version will be running on the PC equivalent of low/medium settings. It's the same game, the only difference is that the next gen version will have better graphics and might possibly run at a higher framerate (for example Battlefield 4) or resolution.

Edit: Spelling mistake.

Edited by AndroidFox

Most games are developed to a higher graphical standard than the current generation consoles are capable of running, they then scale the game back for current gen consoles, hence why the PC version tends to look considerably better. I'm guessing the PS4 version will be roughly on par with the PC version running on the highest graphical settings, whilst the PS3 version will be running on the PC equivalent of low/medium settings. It's the same game, the only difference is that the next gen version will have better graphics and might possibly run at a higher framerate (for example Battlefield 4) or resolution.

Edit: Spelling mistake.

This unfortunately is not always true simply because developers feel its pointless to design a superior pc version when most of their market sales will be consoles,  but as you said 'most', Crytek and Dice and the two main ones that come to mind that tend to try a little harder on pc version. About the thread question, sure it will be interesting to compare the 2 mainly because I have no idea how long developers have been working on the tittle and how big is the team for each version or is it the same team for both? What I expect at least is: graphics obviously better but not by much just little details wise, much higher fps (50s at least) and maybe extra content but I highly doubt it. 

ubisoft already say that the current gen like ps3, 360 and Wii U versions will be the less HD while ps4, PC, XBONE is the true HD versions, the ps3 version of watch dogs will play the same as the next gen version and actually look the same, but due to the nature of the ps4 is capable of more higher res and more poly counts, the ps4 version will have more peoples in streets and it'll run at 1080p, remember that watch dogs is a current gen game in the first place.

last time they even announced that theft will go current gen too.

ubisoft already say that the current gen like ps3, 360 and Wii U versions will be the less HD while ps4, PC, XBONE is the true HD versions, the ps3 version of watch dogs will play the same as the next gen version and actually look the same, but due to the nature of the ps4 is capable of more higher res and more poly counts, the ps4 version will have more peoples in streets and it'll run at 1080p, remember that watch dogs is a current gen game in the first place.

last time they even announced that theft will go current gen too.

Thats basically what i said and figured. :) good to know

I don't think anyone can convince me that there is a need to buy both versions of a game... I'm just worried ill feel ripped off if I pay out for a ps4 version and it doesn't blow me away

But with the exception of EA (and we'll see how long that lasts) next gen titles won't cost any more than their PS3 counterparts. It'll be a while yet before PS3 new releases drop in price. So even if you have a situation where there isn't a noticeable difference between the two versions your still paying the same amount.... So you're not really out anything if the PS4 version doesn't blow you away. 

Edited by mturismo

But with the exception of EA (and we'll see how long that lasts) next gen titles won't cost any more than their PS3 counterparts. It'll be a while yet before PS3 new releases drop in price. So even if you have a situation where there isn't a noticeable difference between the two versions your still paying the same amount.... So you're not really out anything if the PS4 version doesn't blow you away. 

That's good to know, as far as I'm aware in the UK the only confirmed price on games is ea

That's good to know, as far as I'm aware in the UK the only confirmed price on games is ea

Back in June both Sony and MS confirmed that first-party launch window titles will stay at the same at the $59.99 price point (I think this is somewhere around £39 for you guys?). That doesn't force 3rd party publishers to set their prices but it does provide a good benchmark. If a 3rd party releases a FPS for around £50 and MS/Sony have a title of comparable quality and gameplay for £39 the 3rd party publishers are at a severe disadvantage. 

Now this is a pretty common occurrence with Gamers....

95d1a5fa772a1083f8f2d15f68aaa389.jpg

I think most people would bitch, but they'd get over a $10 increase; and it wouldn't alter their gaming habits. If you're raising the price by $20 or $30 though I don't see people going along with that. They'll wait, buy used, buy less or gravitate towards less expensive games. It's too much in too short of a time. I think a slight increase is the most we will see. Now 2 or 3 years from now things might be different but by then we'll be far enough into the cycle that there will be a substantial difference between any titles that still happen to be cross-gen. 

That's my opinion, but I'm not an expert or and industry insider, just some guy who plays video games in his spare time.......  :D

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/ps4-first-party-games-to-rrp-at-59-99/

Edited by mturismo

Back in June both Sony and MS confirmed that first-party launch window titles will stay at the same at the $59.99 price point (I think this is somewhere around £39 for you guys?). That doesn't force 3rd party publishers to set their prices but it does provide a good benchmark. If a 3rd party releases a FPS for around £50 and MS/Sony have a title of comparable quality and gameplay for £39 the 3rd party publishers are at a severe disadvantage. 

Now this is a pretty common occurrence with Gamers....

95d1a5fa772a1083f8f2d15f68aaa389.jpg

I think most people would bitch, but they'd get over a $10 increase; and it wouldn't alter their gaming habits. If you're raising the price by $20 or $30 though I don't see people going along with that. They'll wait, buy used, buy less or gravitate towards less expensive games. It's too much in too short of a time. I think a slight increase is the most we will see. Now 2 or 3 years from now things might be different but by then we'll be far enough into the cycle that there will be a substantial difference between any titles that still happen to be cross-gen. 

That's my opinion, but I'm not an expert or and industry insider, just some guy who plays video games in his spare time.......  :D

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/ps4-first-party-games-to-rrp-at-59-99/

I completely agree, I will still buy fifa for example despite a £15+ increase in price... It's good to hear other games will be cheaper, hopefully ghosts will be a lot cheaper than battlefield

• 3 weeks later...

This is not my main concern as I will be getting all cross-gen games on PS4. My big question is how games being released on both generations are going to deal with trophies. For example, Battlefield 4. Will they all be a combined trophy list from day one like Guacamelee and Hotline Miami, or are we going to have another Metal Gear Solid 2+3 and Sound Shapes fiasco? It seems daft that people would even buy the same game twice just to bolster their trophy count, but each to their own. How do you think Sony are going to handle this or for now, will it be up to the developer?

This is not my main concern as I will be getting all cross-gen games on PS4. My big question is how games being released on both generations are going to deal with trophies. For example, Battlefield 4. Will they all be a combined trophy list from day one like Guacamelee and Hotline Miami, or are we going to have another Metal Gear Solid 2+3 and Sound Shapes fiasco? It seems daft that people would even buy the same game twice just to bolster their trophy count, but each to their own. How do you think Sony are going to handle this or for now, will it be up to the developer?

Good q, I don't think it'll be a problem as I predict that ps4 saves won't work on a ps3... I hope