This game is just stupid

I was also disappointed. When I played the first game in the reboot I was like “wow, this is basically Uncharted” (I love Uncharted). Replaying the game on PS4 I must admit I could see its flaws better. Still entertaining enough. Rise & Shadow though... what the hell is the story even about?? Where did all the previous characters go? The games look better and I can appreciate that they tried to improve on the game mechanics, but I personally hated the “somewhat open world” vibe. Graphics are good but I just wasn’t invested in the game, merely plowed through. Didn’t even bother with all the tombs, just wanted to get it over with at some point. I would rate the trilogy overall as 7/10. I won’t replay them ever again. 

• Like 3

TR = 8/10

Rise = 8-9/10 (my first TR btw) 

Shadow = 7/10

Problem?  Crystal dynamic went to do, an already failed, attempt of GTA Online (LIIIIIVE SERVICE ?) on the Marvel/ Avenger universe and left most of the work to Eidos Montreal. 

I think I would have given SotTR a lower score (6-6.5) but I got the "complete" edition on sale, so it doesn't hurt so much. 

• Like 3

Have recently done the Trilogy, I have to agree with most of OP's opinions.

Shadow is just a really boring game which failed to keep players engaged, no wonder it quickly went on sale 2 weeks after releasing.

BShtting reviews couldn't even help the sales. 

• Like 3

TR = 9/10 I really enjoyed this game!

Rise = 7/10 

Shadow = 5/10

About shadow , I agree with everything you said! I really hope (if) they make a new TR that have a strong story and without flaws.

Still thinking about those "incredibles" jumps who scared me in Deadly Obsession (for a bronze trophy).

16 hours ago, Fr_0zt said:

I think I would have given SotTR a lower score (6-6.5) but I got the "complete" edition on sale, so it doesn't hurt so much.

Yeah thankfully I also never paid full price for any of these games. I think I got the first one free with PS+ at some point, and 2/3 I bought on sale. I got the complete edition of Shadow about a month ago for 30€ or so. It's a triple AAA game with full DLC so it's an OK price, though going back I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

• Like 3

Loved reboot. Hated Rise for the model change and dumb as shit jesus story. Score attack is infuriating and the card system is the dumbest buff & debuff bullshit.

decided that I wouldn’t get Shadow and I didn’t but saw a relative playing it.

a fuckton of climbing and those tight spaces OP mentioned and my own gripes were seeing the same potato Lara from Rise and seeing an ingame dialogue cutscene where the NPC emotes more than Lara. She had dead glass eyes and no eyebrow movement while this old ass villager was modeled really well.

feelsbadman

Edited by totallycrushed
  • Like 1

I gotta agree. I loved the reboot and thought Rise was okay, but this was the worst game I've played all year. How can anybody like Lara's character in this? They made her extremely annoying and unlikable, put together a story that is as dull as a generic NPC fetch quest, and replaced almost all of the combat that made the other games fun with tedious and unrealistic platforming sections. The stupidest thing is making you wear that peacock suit 80% of the game. Why even bother having other outfits? And why is there such a complicated skill tree when there are probably less than ten combat encounters in the entire game?

Deadly Obsession is also a terribly designed difficulty. I didn't have as much trouble as other people, but partly because I was so numb to what the game had put me through up to that point that it was like playing in slow motion.

TR: 9/10

Rise: 7/10

Shadow: 5/10

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

I recently achieved 100% in the game. The game itself is good. The plot could be better? Yes. But the story is decent after all.

Regarding the difficulty, I had a lot more fun playing it on Deadly Obsession than on my previous playthrough. If you mess up, you are going to get punished by it and to be really honest I think this difficulty should be harder. Fewer checkpoints/campfires should have used more resources. Yes, occasionally there might be a misdirection in your jump due to some of the hitboxes and because of that, you might die from it. That happened 2 or 3 times though and it only happened because I was stupid and wanted to take unintended shortcuts or wanted to rush it before preparing the jumps a bit better.

Regarding the trophies, I only have one problem with it. Even though DLC tombs are relatively quick to complete. You have to complete them 3 times each (Side Mission, Score Attack and Time Attack) and since you can just get a bronze medal to earn the trophy it feels effortless and worthless. I managed to get gold medals on most and I felt like I was a bit cheated on as I can also assume a lot of you felt the same knowing that some players earned the same trophy by doing a lot worse than you.

EDIT: Ohhhh, and about the cutscenes. Deal with it. You have a console. Sorry if you can't skip a 2 or 4 minutes cutscene. There are tons of games with this issue.

Edited by SupakGaming
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, lloydisthebest88 said:

Speaking of Deadly Obsession, what kind of idiot thinks that a good way for making a game more difficult is to remove checkpoints and force you to repeat 20 minutes of game filled with unskippable cutsenes--no wait, you can skip them, but you have to wait until the game finishes loading and that often takes the whole f'ing cutscene. 

I really enjoy some of the more punishing stuff you mentioned here. Hardcore mode on Dead Space 2 back on the xbox360 was the first time i got a taste for it. Now I love those game modes. So damn satisfying to beat a game like that, to know that you've had to perfect a segment of gameplay (or entire game) in order to beat it. Don't get me wrong, I like less punishing stuff too, a mix of the two is my jam. People can judge me on that, but i'm enjoying myself when i do it and it makes me happy :) 

I can't really agree with you on your criticism of someone being an idiot for programming that kind of gameplay mode. But I do agree with the frustration of unskippable or skippable-but-delayed cutscenes when combined with no checkpoints / minimal saves / permadeath. Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben is a great example. I really enjoyed that, but there were segments of the game which played out like cutscenes, but took place in-game, so they were completely unskippable. That was especially infuriating because of the permadeath modifier on Mein Leben difficulty.

I agree all of what you said. After a certain point in the game, it started to feel like a chore to play. Two things helped me continue: I'm also completionist same as you and game was still entertaining me in certain ways so I decided to keep going and get plat. But other than that I don't even think this game deserves full price $60. I'm giving it 5/10

• Like 1