lloydisthebest88

This game is just stupid

32 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I can't really agree with you on your criticism of someone being an idiot for programming that kind of gameplay mode. But I do agree with the frustration of unskippable or skippable-but-delayed cutscenes when combined with no checkpoints / minimal saves / permadeath. Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben is a great example. I really enjoyed that, but there were segments of the game which played out like cutscenes, but took place in-game, so they were completely unskippable. That was especially infuriating because of the permadeath modifier on Mein Leben difficulty.

Perhaps saying idiot was a bit too harsh. I ended up completely the game on deadly obsession yesterday, and it wasn't that difficult to be honest. The thing is, if you really want to choose to remove checkpoints to make the game more difficult, you also have to put the work to make everything streamlined. Here it felt like they couldn't really balance the game properly, so they made it more frustrating.

When I started the final mission for the first time, I was able to reach the final boss but died because I got a little cocky and didn't use cover properly. It's alright, that's on me. But for some damn reason, I missed the campfire shortly before the final boss (dark environment, campfire light is off, there's no real indicator telling you about it), and the game thinks autosave before the final boss is not a meaningful thing to have, so I restarted before the final mission.

At that point, I restarted it a few more times because climbing failed me: a couple times when you have to jump from a hanging tree trunk and throw the grappling hook at a wall, which kept missing its target, once because Lara couldn't hang onto a stupid zipline, and a couple more times because of... stupid reasons. And every damn time, I had to rewatch the cutscenes where she talks to the child and they discuss the plan, go into the cave, she receives whatever trinket the child gives to her, and finally dives into water. All of this (I would say 3/4 minutes) continuously mashing the touchpad hoping that the game had finished loading, but it never did.

That's what I meant when I said about someone being an idiot. If you want to make this kind of thing, you must have a game where random failures are not a thing, gameplay is tight, waste of time is reduced to the bone. Here everything seems to be designed to frustrate you, even the actual loading screens take forever.

Thankfully, speedrunning the game on Deadly Obsession takes only around 5/6 hours, and the part I was fearing the most (the refinery) was actually pretty easy, as I did it on NG+ with all the upgrades already earned. But that is not a fun game to play. It's not because it's difficult, it's because it's poorly designed.

By the way, the only really good scene in the whole game was when she falls from the tower in the refinery, and then she emerges from the water extremely pissed off. That was really badass, I got goosebumps from it.

1 hour ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

hopefully this won't have a seperate trophy list :( 

Hopefully it does 😶 . Why does it matter to you?

I guess I'm in the minority, but when I finally tried TR reboot I hated it and shelved it after about an hour of gameplay. If Shadow is the lowpoint in the reboot trilogy, I'm glad I didn't stick with it.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

Hopefully it does 1f636.png . Why does it matter to you?

bc I can't help myself :D I'm a series completionist I would totally play it for the second list xDD

8 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

bc I can't help myself :D I'm a series completionist I would totally play it for the second list xDD

Figured but didn't want to jump to rash conclusions. I'm also a series completionist; however, re-releases with new trophy list allows for designated milestones that, for different reasons, weren't possible before with the first versions of the game. (Dead Space and inFAMOUS, which should have been my real first platinum, definitive re-releases would be so amazing.)

I agree.

I'd rate the games as

TR- 8/10

Rise- 7/10

Shadow- 6/10

None are too awful to not finish, but Shadow was the hardest to finish. Very meh.

Maybe I'm the true minority lol

TR - 80/100: The start of reboot trilogy, some flaws on the tomb system design but story is attracting

Rise - 90/100: Not-that-attracting story, time attack mode is pretty challenging and fun to play with different cards, DLC modes are fun (especially the survivor mode and the "resident evil" one)

Shadow - 90/100: Played one year ago on steam, haven't played DLC tombs yet. Yes, the story is mediocre (I won't describe it as stupid, but a little bit cliche). The battle system is great, you can either fight or stealth. The survival mode doesn't allow you to use instinct, which is challenging for a 2nd run. Nothing has changed considerably compared to ROTTR so I won't give it a low score.