This game is just stupid

56 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I can't really agree with you on your criticism of someone being an idiot for programming that kind of gameplay mode. But I do agree with the frustration of unskippable or skippable-but-delayed cutscenes when combined with no checkpoints / minimal saves / permadeath. Wolfenstein 2 Mein Leben is a great example. I really enjoyed that, but there were segments of the game which played out like cutscenes, but took place in-game, so they were completely unskippable. That was especially infuriating because of the permadeath modifier on Mein Leben difficulty.

Perhaps saying idiot was a bit too harsh. I ended up completely the game on deadly obsession yesterday, and it wasn't that difficult to be honest. The thing is, if you really want to choose to remove checkpoints to make the game more difficult, you also have to put the work to make everything streamlined. Here it felt like they couldn't really balance the game properly, so they made it more frustrating.

When I started the final mission for the first time, I was able to reach the final boss but died because I got a little cocky and didn't use cover properly. It's alright, that's on me. But for some damn reason, I missed the campfire shortly before the final boss (dark environment, campfire light is off, there's no real indicator telling you about it), and the game thinks autosave before the final boss is not a meaningful thing to have, so I restarted before the final mission.

At that point, I restarted it a few more times because climbing failed me: a couple times when you have to jump from a hanging tree trunk and throw the grappling hook at a wall, which kept missing its target, once because Lara couldn't hang onto a stupid zipline, and a couple more times because of... stupid reasons. And every damn time, I had to rewatch the cutscenes where she talks to the child and they discuss the plan, go into the cave, she receives whatever trinket the child gives to her, and finally dives into water. All of this (I would say 3/4 minutes) continuously mashing the touchpad hoping that the game had finished loading, but it never did.

That's what I meant when I said about someone being an idiot. If you want to make this kind of thing, you must have a game where random failures are not a thing, gameplay is tight, waste of time is reduced to the bone. Here everything seems to be designed to frustrate you, even the actual loading screens take forever.

Thankfully, speedrunning the game on Deadly Obsession takes only around 5/6 hours, and the part I was fearing the most (the refinery) was actually pretty easy, as I did it on NG+ with all the upgrades already earned. But that is not a fun game to play. It's not because it's difficult, it's because it's poorly designed.

By the way, the only really good scene in the whole game was when she falls from the tower in the refinery, and then she emerges from the water extremely pissed off. That was really badass, I got goosebumps from it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AiManiaTrophyhunting said:

bc I can't help myself :D I'm a series completionist I would totally play it for the second list xDD

Figured but didn't want to jump to rash conclusions. I'm also a series completionist; however, re-releases with new trophy list allows for designated milestones that, for different reasons, weren't possible before with the first versions of the game. (Dead Space and inFAMOUS, which should have been my real first platinum, definitive re-releases would be so amazing.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm the true minority lol

TR - 80/100: The start of reboot trilogy, some flaws on the tomb system design but story is attracting

Rise - 90/100: Not-that-attracting story, time attack mode is pretty challenging and fun to play with different cards, DLC modes are fun (especially the survivor mode and the "resident evil" one)

Shadow - 90/100: Played one year ago on steam, haven't played DLC tombs yet. Yes, the story is mediocre (I won't describe it as stupid, but a little bit cliche). The battle system is great, you can either fight or stealth. The survival mode doesn't allow you to use instinct, which is challenging for a 2nd run. Nothing has changed considerably compared to ROTTR so I won't give it a low score.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I think Rise was a little better but I enjoyed Shadow well enough. I can say for sure that the 100% game completion was less of a hassle in Shadow. I remember having a hell of a time getting back out of certain areas in Rise during my post-game collectible cleanup. 

Bought Shadow at launch but waited to play until now due to the initial bugs so the game being on version 2.0 may have cleared up some of the issues you all had. Still have to do a Deadly Obsession run but hopefully playing through everything else including all the DLC first will make that a smoother experience. 

Edited by Killbomb

• 3 weeks later...

I too am extremely disappointed and frustrated with this entry in the series.

The fact that encountering an enemy is actually a breath of fresh air in this game is just sad. It is so empty that i don't feel like killing them just not to feel alone!

It is at best a platforming game mixed up with a collectathon. 

Add to that the numerous game breaking glitches (movable platforms stuck in the decor, carts disappearing etc) and last but not least my very last collectable glitched forcing me to reload a previous save (thank god i had one!) and this game is a joke.

Not looking forward to my deadly obsession run as the platforming is broken and dodgy, i can already foretell the places i will have to redo many times...

As a long time fan of the series, this game is shameful, and i am seriously doubting of buying any other future entry.

• Like 2

I didn't encounter a single glitch, I enjoyed the game for what it is. The only real annoying part in Deadly Obsession was the couple of times I failed a jump and died. I was mostly afraid of the piranhas but thankfully didn't die to them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently played this again on Xbox through gamepass and I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I love the story for Shadow. It's definitely not prefect though and there are some very weak spots in the story. Than again, I felt this way for both the first game and Rise both of which had some very poor writing at times.

I will say that there are some gameplay mechanics that I thought were very counterintuitive. Why give us countless outfits and weapons, but than are limited to where the we can use them? I'll be honest it drove me crazy that I could only wear certain outfits in the hidden city. I also hated that I was only ever allowed to use the bow while in combat during a few segments in the game.

As far as Deadly Obsession, I think it'd have been prefect if they paced out the campfires a little more evenly. I don't mind playing a game with no check points as long as there are plenty of save points in between. Like most people, I'm not particularly fond of losing two hours or more of gameplay cause I died and had to do over again. I will say Deadly Obsession is a lot easier on NG+, but it's still stressful during certain parts of the game like Cenote or the oil fields where there is a long stretch without a save point. It makes it even more annoying with the un-skippable cut scenes. 

The jumping is also or was pretty bad, I'll admit. It was frustrating trying to climb or jump because Lara would just fall to her death because she jumped the wrong way or refused to grab the ledge or wall. I wonder though if they patched it because when I played it on the Xbox a few days ago I barely ran into this issue. 

I like shadow the best out the three. I felt she was the closest to the old Lara since the reboot began though I'm getting a little tired of her not having her dual pistols along with her confidence/sass from the originals. This is something they need to improve if they make a another entry in the series. I also hope they drop killing animals to improve your gears especially endangered animals. I know its a video game, but I'm extremely against poaching in real life so it really bothers me even in a video game. 

Personally I rate the games a follows:

Tomb Raider: Reboot - 7.5

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 8.0

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 8.5

Edited by FireFoxie

• 6 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 9:59 AM, UlvenFenrir said:

the entire reboot trilogy is overrated imo. shadow of the tomb raider is just a boring game really. theres some fun to be had but the whole package is just been there done that.

i dont personally think the game looks great, maybe in the intro but once you get to the hidden village its just so bland and boring to look at.

In my opinion the first one was amazing, but i do feel they went away from what made it great in the second and then having PS users wait a year to play it when it was mediocre was frustrating. Shadow though i thought brought it back a little bit, and i agree they didn't do well in some aspects of it (major collectible bug). But overall it was decent. I think the rankings for me go Tomb Raider, Shadow, and then Rise.

i was done with tomb raider after doing rise on xbox, getting to the end and then realising the patch that upgraded it for the x1 also broke it, and after doing 20+ of those fuckin annoying challenge rooms the achievement refused to unlock the devs released it for ps4 and left it broken. dlc randomly kicks you and has always been broken. fuck those games.

and as for avengers, well skillup said anthem was more fun, so that kinda speaks to that. I don't always agree with him but mostly he's on point.

• Like 1

I just finished this plat a couple weeks ago and all DLCs. I thought the game was great. The trophy experience was good too except the Deadly Obsession difficulty one. I think the utter lack of checkpoints was more frustrating than challenging, but ultimately, doable. I recommend the whole series for a playthrough, but not for 100%ing. 

• Like 1

well this is exactly me when trying to beat and plat this crappy game, you also forget that the game have a bad habit of crashing in that native village i forgot it's name but it's the one where you can't enter it unless you dressed like them, i tried to speed through it while traveling and the game crashed on me like 6 times or something.

the 2013 reboot on the ps3 is my favorite, i used to hate rise, until i played this, and IGNorant gave this a 9...... 

Edited by yellowwindow7

I stopped reading when you said little shooting is supposed to be a minus. The Tomb Raider series was never really about being a third person shooter like Uncharted. That facet of gameplay is an accessory, not the main strand.

The games did get weaker with each consecutive sequel in the trilogy. I consider the 2013 (Definitive Edition) to be a solid 8/10. Rise was poor story, new Lara jarred me but gameplay was bumped up. Didn't even bother playing Shadow.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 3:40 AM, SnowbellKitty said:

I am glad there are not a lot of shootouts, and there's an actual focus in archaelogical exploration and traversal. Uncharted should learn from Tomb Raider, all Uncharted really cares about are the gun fights, as if it's not "something everyone and their moms" always do anyway. New Lara is a lot more interesting and human too, and this coming from someone who followed the series since its birth in 1996. I also prefer the human enemies over giant gekkos/spiders/whatever, so the reboot wins for realism too. As for wild animals and ocult enemies (Oni, Deathless, etc...), they are ok by me as well.

I don't care about the lack of dual pistols wielding either, and why would I when the bow is a lot more deadly and versatile, not to mention stealthier.

Lastly, this story might be "just okay", but it certainly is still superior to all three movies based on this series. Maybe the SJW-ridden Hollywoodian culture is the one that should be bashed for releasing really awful products based on this I.P.? Just saying.

The only bad things about this game IMO are: Dominguez (Konstantine was more interesting), the setting (jungle looks the same everywhere, and it's too Uncharted-like for my tastes. Yamatai, Syria and Siberia were a lot better), and the wandering spiders (I hate devs' incessant will to use these critters in games).

Not a very big fan of the Uncharted series and I'm convinced nobody hates those games as much as I do.

I'm left with a few missions on the current TR before I finish the game but, on the overall, I'm very impressed with this product. I thought the TR team did a great job with it: the tombs are a lot more challenging, a lot more scary (for me, anyway) - esp. in the expansion packs - than the earlier games in this trilogy, there's so much more exploration with very beautiful archeological sites than in earlier games in the trilogy, they've added infinitely more detail to Lara's capabilities, incl. horizontal climbing (making her more 3-D) to survive her environment better with outfits that give her an edge in it also etc. On the overall, it's a really impressive product for me. TBH, Underworld was the one game whose tombs I thought were scarier than earlier TR games until Shadow. 

Back to Uncharted. I only genuinely enjoyed the first Uncharted but l quit the series for good after the 3rd game - mostly because of sloppy writing (incl. terrible character development), writing littered with clichés (& terrible jokes), little exploration, awful controls that made gun fights in Hard mode such a pain. After I caught on to what they were doing with the storyline in the 3rd game, I vowed to myself never to spend any money on Uncharted games as it didn't seem worth it. The unoriginal development of the characters in the first 3 games also meant I had little emotional investment in them to care much for subsequent releases.

The storyline in all the games is pretty much the same: it's always a get-rich-quick scheme that entails minor exploration and when they do find the treasure, it's some cursed object they have to do away with. Though I've played 3 games, this narrative structure is repeated in at least 5 games that I am aware of. After I finished the 3rd game and picked up on the overused plot structure, I read the plot for the other releases after that one and it was the same. The third game was the worst in development and it had so many story leaps. Drake doesn't do much growth in all of the 3 games I played and his environment - traversing, exploration, fights etc. - is similarly stagnant. They genuinely seemed like lazy products IMO.

I haven't seen Uncharted 4 and any of the subsequent releases, but I made a vow to myself never to touch any Uncharted games after hours wasted on repetitive material in the first 3.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoBBurnz said:

Not a very big fan of the Uncharted series and I'm convinced nobody hates those games as much as I do.

I'm left with a few missions on the current TR before I finish the game but, on the overall, I'm very impressed with this product. I thought the TR team did a great job with it: the tombs are a lot more challenging, a lot more scary (for me, anyway) - esp. in the expansion packs - than the earlier games in this trilogy, there's so much more exploration with very beautiful archeological sites than in earlier games in the trilogy, they've added infinitely more detail to Lara's capabilities, incl. horizontal climbing (making her more 3-D) to survive her environment better with outfits that give her an edge in it also etc. On the overall, it's a really impressive product for me. TBH, Underworld was the one game whose tombs I thought were scarier than earlier TR games until Shadow. 

Back to Uncharted. I only genuinely enjoyed the first Uncharted but l quit the series for good after the 3rd game - mostly because of sloppy writing (incl. terrible character development), writing littered with clichés (& terrible jokes), little exploration, awful controls that made gun fights in Hard mode such a pain. After I caught on to what they were doing with the storyline in the 3rd game, I vowed to myself never to spend any money on Uncharted games as it didn't seem worth it. The unoriginal development of the characters in the first 3 games also meant I had little emotional investment in them to care much for subsequent releases.

The storyline in all the games is pretty much the same: it's always a get-rich-quick scheme that entails minor exploration and when they do find the treasure, it's some cursed object they have to do away with. Though I've played 3 games, this narrative structure is repeated in at least 5 games that I am aware of. After I finished the 3rd game and picked up on the overused plot structure, I read the plot for the other releases after that one and it was the same. The third game was the worst in development and it had so many story leaps. Drake doesn't do much growth in all of the 3 games I played and his environment - traversing, exploration, fights etc. - is similarly stagnant. They genuinely seemed like lazy products IMO.

I haven't seen Uncharted 4 and any of the subsequent releases, but I made a vow to myself never to touch any Uncharted games after hours wasted on repetitive material in the first 3.  

Talking about uncharted, this is strange but wasn’t UC2 a GOTY ? The storyline was amazing. But I agree with you, the 3rd one was kinda a copy of the 2nd. But either way, I really enjoyed the franchise. The online was excellent too. One of the best online i ever experienced. 

I haven't played the game yet, I plan to as soon as it becomes available for PS+, but you can't blame Eidos for the loading thing. The PS4 has an ancient turd in it called a hard disk drive. That shit is so old school, it's a wonder it could load these games at all at such a decent pace.

• Like 1