This game is just stupid

The difference between this series and Uncharted is the funny banter. People in this world are such debbie downers really. And with all the remasters and remakes happening recently, this pretty much says the hardest part in making a video game is writing a great story. I loved the TR series for the most part. Heck the only thing I hate about SoTR is those damn glitchy climbing sections. Its not the best game ever but it I guess its worth what I paid for it. 

I also would like to add that we've been spoiled regarding checkpoints...there's a TON of games that does what SoTR does - this is not new but we've all been so pressed for time so much so that repeating something depletes us - it's a mindset that were already thinking of playing the next big game while playing a game. I remember playing Bioshock Infinite- it also had sections where dying on 1999 mode means repeating 30 min sections, and it was so easy to die there. I dont see anyone complaining about that. Again, its the mindset nowadays. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love these games. Maybe focus less on getting platinum's that take away from the enjoyment of gaming and focus on having fun. I will never understand these people who are "completionists" and go through the bore and suffering of getting some of these trophies. They hold no value but in your head. I just think it would be a bit more rational to prioritize your enjoyment of the experience rather than going through a bad time for seemingly no reason.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had to jump on these forums and see if I was the only one.  Glad to see I am not.

I am halfway through my Deadly Obsession difficulty and it's just miserable. I enjoy playing games at their hardest difficulty, and even the most challenging times of my years in playing video games have a nice payoff when I finally succeed. This game has none of that.  This is the most lazy low effort programming for difficulty I have ever seen. Enemies are not one bit smarter, perhaps they soak up more bullets, but what makes this "hard" and I use that loosely is the lack of checkpoints.  I think this is bad enough game design as it is but for a game like Shadow of The Tomb Raider where Lara does not make every action with complete precision it is just brutal and punishing.  Play 30 minutes to have to game decide to jump you incorrectly, not grab a ledge or wall you should grab or glitch you on a twig or a rock and you are doing it all over again.  There is nothing hard about this game as you need to pray you have luck in the actions you ask the character to do so you don't have to repeat 30 minutes of play. 

I am halfway through now and part of me refuses to let this game defeat me so I probably slog through the rest but I'd urge people to stay away from this, if you are one the fence and like completing games on harder difficulties. There are plenty of other games out there that have intelligent rewarding game design.  I'll be avoiding anything I see Square Enix on after this one, and for the record I really loved Rise of The Tomb Raider. 

Edit:

So I got past a part where the game screwed me twice, once on a jump and once on a get stuck on the environment glitch, and made me make this post. Then the next long no checkpoint segment I play 30 min or so hit the cut-scene which if I remember right has a fire pit to save afterwards, and guess what, the game freezes in the middle of the cut scene! The lack of checkpoints is bad enough game design but in a game with so many issues is just horrible.

I do though take back I will not get any pleasure of completing this.  Sure, it's not that super rewarding feeling you get repeatedly going through a well designed difficult game.  But I am sure when I complete this there will be a feeling of satisfaction that I didn't let the game defeat me and I prevailed the mental battle to complete it after the game has screwed me multiple times. 

Edited by adverse_event
  • Like 1

Counter point: Shadow of the Tomb Raider was awesome, probably my favourite one so far. The game world was beautiful. It was a natural progression for her character, it did something kinda cool with the story where, for once, she was the one who started the big supernatural disaster event. Deadly Obsession was a great way to play through the game as a veteran of the older Tomb Raiders, plus the various herbs available honestly made it pretty trivial for the most part, even on a first playthrough. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have just started my DO playthrough after hate-playing the game on normal. Glad I'm not alone in hating this game.

Other than the mediocre combat and janky platform sections, the story and characters are just trash. I just checked out about half way through the story and started skipping the cutscenes.

It's funny how the game has an immersive language option, in which some characters speak their native language, but Lara still talks to them in english.

Even with this option off, some characters will still speak english, and it makes absolutely no sense that the leader of this literal Hidden City in the peruvian jungle would speak english.

Also, at this day and age, it's a really bad judgement call to have a game in which an european, white protagonist raid an ancient south-american tomb, break anything in her path, butcher the natives and steal their gold. It's difficult to root for Lara on this one.

Can't wait to be done with this platinum and forget about this game. It's sad, because I really loved the first reboot and was looking forward to playing the rest of the franchise, but it just went downhill really fast.