Three Player Co-op Recommendations

Ellie6969

Hi folks! Happy Friday!

My dad is down to stay for the weekend so looking for some recs for decent (preferably short-ish??) games that allow for three player co-op, so I can play with him & hubby. Two players will need to be able to play couch, but third player can be couch or online. 

We have already blasted through the obvious ones like Diablo III & Borderlands, and played through Neon Chrome and Nine Parchments as well. Hack n slashy preferable but any suggestions gratefully received!!

Thank you ?

It's not Hack n Slash but Magicka 2 can be played with up to 4 players in couch co-op. The more the merrier. The game is funny and it has friendly fire. Most of the time, you kill your team more often than enemies. But that's the best part of the game. All those many ways how to screw up one's own party. Story also is not that long. Can be played through in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

I've played the following games in 2 or 3 player coop, and they all support local coop: 

• Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • Magicka 2
  • Gauntlet: Slayer Edition
  • Helldivers
  • Guacamelee 2

I definitely can recommend Guacamelee 2, and it's pretty short too :) The good thing about those games is that they don't have extensive RPG elements or deep story, meaning that you won't spend ages in the character menu (like in Diablo III, for example). 

• Like 2

These are great, thank you so much!! I think the only one we have played previously is Gauntlet. I've been interested in Trine for a while too but didn't realise it was three player ?  I will have a sneaky snoop at these while I'm working!

X

I've played all of these and are a blast with 3-4 people.

LittleBig Planet 3 - it's my go to for 4 player co-op

Overcooked 1 & 2 - shortish (I beat it in a sitting) and fun for everyone

Rayman Legends -played it on the Wii and was a more fun and crazy with 4 people

Castle Crashers - hack n slashy, 5-6 hours to beat, and it's comical.

• Like 1

It looks like Trine is coming out on top...!

I have very briefly played Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with two players, and quite enjoyed it. Would you say it is better with three? Or more manic??

Castle Crashers is not one I've seen before either so will definitely check that out too.

Thank you for your recs guys!! ?

39 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Fat Princess Adventures

Torchlight 2

The Adventures of Van Helsing

All are isometric twin-stick games like Diablo.

Torchlight 2 would be bang on but unfortunately think needs all players to be online? Which we can't unfortunately ? will check out Fat Princses though! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Ellie6969 said:

It looks like Trine is coming out on top...!

I have very briefly played Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with two players, and quite enjoyed it. Would you say it is better with three? Or more manic??

Castle Crashers is not one I've seen before either so will definitely check that out too.

Thank you for your recs guys!! 1f60a.png

Lovers is definitely more entertaining with more players in my experience. Still maintains the maniac nature of switching stations on the ship but when it all clicks with the teamwork it plays great.

Edited by GameMatter

45 minutes ago, Ellie6969 said:

Torchlight 2 would be bang on but unfortunately think needs all players to be online?  will check out Fat Princses though!

Not sure about TF2, but it's on sale right now. FPA was free with PS+ a few years back.

Also, here's a really good resource for co-op games: https://www.co-optimus.com/system/22/playstation-4.html

Edited by Helyx

Moon Hunters isn't a terrible game for this. No real difficulty involved (although there are battles and the like, if you lose them, the game progresses, with possible differences). You get a lot of choices, and each person can make his/her own way.

It would be good for a dad who maybe isn't super game proficient. Oh, and the game is couch co-op all the way.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Not sure about TF2, but it's on sale right now. FPA was free with PS+ a few years back.

Also, here's a really good resource for co-op games: https://www.co-optimus.com/system/22/playstation-4.html

Oh cool, I'll have a proper look once I get off work then! Yeah good point, my old PS+ downloads are usually a treasure trove for this kind of thing, that's how we found Neon Chrome. Ahh that's kind, thank you - I have used co-optimus in the past but find I prefer to hear people's opinions rather than taking a punt on the scores!!

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Moon Hunters isn't a terrible game for this. No real difficulty involved (although there are battles and the like, if you lose them, the game progresses, with possible differences). You get a lot of choices, and each person can make his/her own way.

It would be good for a dad who maybe isn't super game proficient. Oh, and the game is couch co-op all the way.

That's a really sweet thought, he will be gutted if he reads that ?? he's a big old trophy hunter. But maybe doesn't have the hand-eye coordination he did when I was a kid (sorry dad...) I have looked at moon hunters before actually and was put off by mediocre reviews. For a quick weekend stint though, could definitely be a good shout!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Just now, Ellie6969 said:

That's a really sweet thought, he will be gutted if he reads that 1f602.png1f602.png he's a big old trophy hunter. But maybe doesn't have the hand-eye coordination he did when I was a kid (sorry dad...) I have looked at moon hunters before actually and was put off by mediocre reviews. For a quick weekend stint though, could definitely be a good shout!

Thank you!

That's cool. My dad would be hopeless.

I liked Moon Hunters. The plat is annoying, but I thought it was fun as a co-op game, and even as an SP game...except for the trophies.

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

That's cool. My dad would be hopeless.

I liked Moon Hunters. The plat is annoying, but I thought it was fun as a co-op game, and even as an SP game...except for the trophies.

Bless!?

Mind if I ask why the Plat is so annoying? A lot of playthroughs?

7 minutes ago, Vegi85 said:

Besides the already mentioned games, I can also suggest to try Alienation. It is really nice to play in co-op.

Ahh Alienation is great, I should have popped that on my list of games we've played, that's my bad. I really wish Dead Nation was three player! Thank you for the rec though ?

19 minutes ago, talespagni said:

The Trine trilogy and Overcooked should be can't miss choices, IMO.

Uncharted 4 coop also is a good recommendation, however it doesn't have split screen, so only 2 people would be playing it, as you described by your setup.

Couch coop remains outstanding, largely forgotten by today's developers, but still hugely fun and a great way to socialize with friends & loved ones.

Cheers.

At this point it is looking like Trine is a winner! I adore Overcooked but hubby hates it. He can't handle people going off and doing their own thing and not following his orders ?? I think he was traumatised by my brother shouting "I'VE GOT PATTIES" over and over when we already had like 100 patties on the counters and the floor...

It's such a shame as does look like couch co op is on the way out; such good memories of playing Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Return of the King, Champions of Norrath. Loved all that stuff. Got my fingers crossed for some remasters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellie6969 said:

Bless!1f60d.png

Mind if I ask why the Plat is so annoying? A lot of playthroughs?

Tons, but a playthrough is only like an hour or two (making it comfortable for a visit). The real problem is that it's hard to trigger the requirements for certain trophies (e.g. the constellations). The requirements aren't glitched, but there's a strange design decision regarding which constellation appears where. HOWEVER, multiple players should take care of this.

Also, try to have different personalities. If everyone makes the same choices all the time, the game can crash. Yeah, that's a weakness, I'll admit. ?