Poor remake

yowzagabowza

25 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

You're really comparing it to the ps1 version? Why? Compare it to other PS4 games, since that's what it is. 

I still like the game, but to deny the technical shortcomings is silly.

I went into this game with zero expectations and so far, I'm loving it :). Yes, there are some rough edges here and there that will almost certainly be fixed with the next patch (if one appears) but compared to the near unplayable train wrecks that have come out in the last year (and even the last fortnight) - MediEvil is very polished by comparison. Graphically, MediEvil looks great (especially if you have a 4K TV) and the devs have done a great job of capturing the spooky atmosphere :).

• Like 1

While I agree that the camera at times could've been a bit better I had no problems otherwise. The game never crashed or had any framdedrops or bugs for me while going for Platinum and I play on a plain old day one PS4 (standard).

• Like 1

I assume 90% of the people whose complaining about the camera and some even was mad at the hit box system of the game have never played the original before and pretend that they're a huge Playstation fans since the ps1 days ?

from what I remember the original was exactly the same... well except it doesn't have the bugs and glitches of the remake that is, so technically this is a very faithful remake to the original.

if they patched out all of the bugs and glitches at least puts a performance and graphics option to both ps4 and ps4 pro they can sort things out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

What are you talking about? This is a remake for PS4, not a remaster. Things like the camera and frame rate should be figured out by now. It is not a taxing game, it should be rock solid. Why I would accept a ps1 level performance from a PS4 game? The cutscenes being blurry is also inexcusable

Either your TV/PS4 is on the blink or we're playing different versions of the game, because the cutscenes are pin-sharp for me and run buttery smooth like the rest of the game does (apart from that one bit in the Scarecrow Fields with the Imps).

• Like 3

I honestly have no idea what people are talking about when I even took the extra step to play level by level switching TV inputs playing the PS1 version and the remake side by side, and it's as clear as night and day that the remake is the new definitive way to experience MediEvil. You're not forced to double tap to run anymore so levels like Pools of the Ancient Dead are a bit more playable to jump with and in most scenarios the camera is not just better, but it's leagues better than the original. Ironically where the camera is worse than the original is in sections where the original camera did what the remake did in a more third person camera rather than the over-the-top-ness in levels like Pumpkin Serpent and Crystal Caves the remake oddly did, but otherwise I didn't know a third person camera was what I really needed in most cases. I don't think these people complaining really are aware how much better the remake actually is unless they had a direct comparison experience I had. 

• Like 4

On 10/30/2019 at 4:45 PM, Potter13579 said:

I honestly have no idea what people are talking about when I even took the extra step to play level by level switching TV inputs playing the PS1 version and the remake side by side, and it's as clear as night and day that the remake is the new definitive way to experience MediEvil. You're not forced to double tap to run anymore so levels like Pools of the Ancient Dead are a bit more playable to jump with and in most scenarios the camera is not just better, but it's leagues better than the original. Ironically where the camera is worse than the original is in sections where the original camera did what the remake did in a more third person camera rather than the over-the-top-ness in levels like Pumpkin Serpent and Crystal Caves the remake oddly did, but otherwise I didn't know a third person camera was what I really needed in most cases. I don't think these people complaining really are aware how much better the remake actually is unless they had a direct comparison experience I had. 

Ugh, it's not that it isn't better than the ps1 version, of course it is, it would be almost impossible for it not to be. 

But compared to other PS4 games (which is what it SHOULD be compared to) it has shortcomings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elvick_ said:

It's almost like it's a remake of a PSone game and not a built from the ground up modern game or something. You can't compare it to modern games, because most of this stuff wasn't designed now. It was designed back on PSone in the 90s or whatever year it came out. To change up the game too much is to just make a brand new game, and that isn't what they were going for.

Why you thought it would be vastly different from the PSone is beyond me, literally everything about the game makes it clear what it is and you still go in expecting a new game with modern design sensibilities.

This^

MediEvil was released on the PS1 in October 1998, a little over a month after Spyro the Dragon made his debut.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/10/2019 at 4:07 AM, ManOfDeath567 said:

This game froze on me once in the sleeping village level and it crashed in the enchanted earth level. I am playing on a pretty new Pro. Ugh.

Crashed for me in The Enchanted Earth too. Specifically when using the lift after smashing the bird eggs. Honestly thought my game was broken as it happened 10+ times but after about an hour of restarting the game over and over after it crashes I got through it. Really feels like this game needed some more time in the oven as its pretty buggy. I can't remember if it crashed anywhere else though.

• 2 weeks later...

Each to their own, although I can't see the logic in comparing a copy of a game created in 1998 and designed for a console 3 generations older, to a game made specifically for a 2020 modern day console.

There is clunkiness in the camera, the gameplay etc.... but the original had all of that. To me, a remake/remaster should capture that same vibe as thats what I remember the game for.

Stuff like bad textures/freezing etc are unacceptable however, fair criticism there. I haven't had any of that yet myself so its a bit crappy for OP if they have.

A couple of days ago a friend gave me this game and I played for some time (the last thing I did was doing a bunch of fetch quests in a village until some aggressive... stove-people(?) appeared).

So far I have to say: I don't like it very much. The controls, the camera, the lack of checkpoints, invisible walls everywhere  I don't think I've found one redeeming quality so far. Maybe it's the fact that I didn't play the original version twenty years ago, but MediEvil just doesn't appeal to me (so far).

So, my question to you: should I keep playing or is there no reason to because the game doesn't change drastically later on?

40 minutes ago, RachelCharlotte said:

A couple of days ago a friend gave me this game and I played for some time (the last thing I did was doing a bunch of fetch quests in a village until some aggressive... stove-people(?) appeared).

So far I have to say: I don't like it very much. The controls, the camera, the lack of checkpoints, invisible walls everywhere  I don't think I've found one redeeming quality so far. Maybe it's the fact that I didn't play the original version twenty years ago, but MediEvil just doesn't appeal to me (so far).

So, my question to you: should I keep playing or is there no reason to because the game doesn't change drastically later on?

If you didn't like the opening levels, then you may as well pack it in now - because the rest of the game is no different.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm playing this game for the last couple of weeks and aiming for the platinum. I'm enjoying it so far. Art and level design are great. I also like the variety of weapons you get through the Chalices collection. I've no major issues with the graphics or framerate. I've some minor issues with the camera but most important, I've serious issues with the controls and the way you move Fortesque. Particularly I would expect a more proper way to aim the enemies... not saying to turn it into Dark Souls but would be nice to have a button to lock your position to the enemies and move around them. Otherwise the gameplay just turns into mashing square button while moving around like a crazy. Tried the Dan Cam too and it's even worse. I thought it would be my main playstyle as I enjoyed this kind of camera on God of War but oh boy it's awful.

However, I would love if they remaster Medievil 2 too. I've way better memories of this title than I've from the original on PSX, not sure why but I played it a lot more. Also they could improve its flaws based on the reception and feedback of the first.

Edited by BEAST_IHMOTEP